• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
www.oregonlive.com

Oregon archery hunter gored in neck, killed by wounded elk

The man had shot the elk the night before, and went to look for it the next day when it gored him.

Mark David, 66, had been archery hunting on private property in Tillamook County on Saturday evening. According to Oregon State Police, David hit a bull elk and wounded it, but couldn't find it before nightfall.

The next morning, David and the property owner went out to look for the elk. Around 9:15 a.m., David found the elk and tried to kill it with his bow.

State police say the elk charged David and gored him in the neck with its antlers. The property owner tried to help David, but he died from his injuries.

If you're gonna shoot a large and majestic animal for fun, you better kill it rather than making it suffer. The guy didn't "deserve" it, but I am struggling to feel sad for him.

FYI, there's a picture of the now dead elk in the article, so don't click on it if you don't like that sort of thing.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He came back for that sweet revenge, and had it.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate bull hunting. Rarely has the stopping power for an animal that large so you just make it suffer. I hate hunting period but I'd you are going to do it, at least use something that has enough power to put it out as peaceful as possible.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
www.oregonlive.com

The man had shot the elk the night before, and went to look for it the next day when it gored him.

If you're gonna shoot a large and majestic animal for fun, you better kill it rather than making it suffer. The guy didn't "deserve" it, but I am struggling to feel sad for him.

FYI, there's a picture of the now dead elk in the article, so don't click on it if you don't like that sort of thing.

Does it say he was hunting for fun and not to feed himself and his family? Because if that's the case it's very easy to feel sorry for him.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
He was poaching (it's not Elk hunting season yet) so... that sucks. But I really have no sympathy for poachers. The rules exist for a reason (conservation).

Edit: never mind, that's for rifles only

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
www.oregonlive.com

I didn't read that he was just trophy hunting? I know several elk hunters that repurpose everything they shoot.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the problem you have with the hunter here? This isn't like Cecil the lion because elk meat is good and the article even states it was donated to the county jail.

I guess this is one of those try hard edgy threads.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
He was poaching (it's not Elk hunting season yet) so... that sucks. But I really have no sympathy for poachers. The rules exist for a reason (conservation).
Do we know this for sure or just assuming? My state just had a special nuisance tags for deer that you could bow hunt on private property for population control and it isn't deer season.

It's not uncommon to hit a deer with an arrow and when they run they can't be found. Hunters lose them all the time because they don't usually die right when they are shot.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the problem you have with the hunter here? This isn't like Cecil the lion because elk meat is good and the article even states it was donated to the county jail.

People like to shit on hunters of all types on this site, not just trophy hunters. I'm guessing the majority are vegan, but there's also that weird disconnect from people who have no problem buying meat from a grocery store, but will demonize those that hunt for their food.

Jul 3, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, Inflammatory Commentary, Recently History of Similar Infractions
Lol get wrecked loser

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I hate bull hunting. Rarely has the stopping power for an animal that large so you just make it suffer. I hate hunting period but I'd you are going to do it, at least use something that has enough power to put it out as peaceful as possible.

Yep - if you're going to hunt, use something appropriate for the target. I wouldn't ever hunt myself, but I certainly wouldn't go after something large like an elk with a bow.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If you come at the king of the forest you best not miss.

Ah, gotcha. That's shitty then. And people who are cheering this on are also shitty. Legal, regulated hunting is a major part of wildlife conservation and anyone who thinks otherwise should do some damn research.

I'm allowed to dislike the killing of animals.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I have more respect for hunters that use bows. You have to be much closer than a gun and it provides the animal a fighting chance.

Apparently the season started for bow hunters on the 29th.

Elk, western/eastern Archery
Season: Aug. 29 – Sept. 27
Tag Required: Elk Bow

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yep - if you're going to hunt, use something appropriate for the target. I wouldn't ever hunt myself, but I certainly wouldn't go after something large like an elk with a bow.

Then how do you know a bow isn't appropriate for an elk? You can hit one with a rifle and have it survive the shot just as easily.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Man some of you need to stop reacting on emotion and put some critical thinking skills to use better. I'm not a hunter but damn you'd think he was hunting the last rhino on the planet by some of these takes.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.oregonlive.com

he did look for it tho, to put it out of misery. I'm sure there aren't many hunters out there that love watching animals suffer.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

A bow and arrow is plenty powerful, it comes to shot placement. Same with guns. Bad shots are bad shots.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ah, gotcha. That's shitty then. And people who are cheering this on are also shitty. Legal, regulated hunting is a major part of wildlife conservation and anyone who thinks otherwise should do some damn research.

Might be time to replay that NPR video about how much hunters/anglers contribute in the upkeep of Conservation areas through licenses and fees.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's always a risk hunting such large animals, especially with bow hunting since it's much harder to fire quickly and accurately if the animal decides to attack you. Both the hunter and the elk just happened to be equally unlucky

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Wonder if the Elk knew it was him that shot it. That's the dangers of hunting a guess, I don't know how dangerous elk are but you gotta know you can get fucked if mistakes are made.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

I also don't understand it.

As a meat eater myself I always thought that hunting and eating what you kill or catch seems way more natural and understanding than just buying filets of chicken at the grocery story. That chicken doesn't get there by magic...

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Might be time to replay that NPR video about how much hunters/anglers contribute in the upkeep of Conservation areas through licenses and fees.

This is true, but also just feeding into a system. We shouldn't have to need hunters to enable proper Conservation. And I support hunting at this moment in time because we have messed up ecosystems enough and need to balance them out. Unfortunately that includes hunting local fauna.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Wow some of you people are fucking awful. Dude was not a trophy hunter just hunting an elk and you people are cheering that he got gored to death.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Okay but there really are non violent forms of conservation too.
And frankly I feel that area of research has been undeserved.
But I'm completely against hunting so that's just me.

Well then don't hunt. Get your meat from the grocery store where the animal lived in a pen its whole life and then got its throat slit when the time came. Hunters, through their purchase of licenses and fees, do more for wildlife conservation than most people ever will.

I understand why people personally wouldn't want to hunt but unless you're a vegan or vegetarian, I really don't see the problem with other people using a more "natural" way of getting food that also contributes to conservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.