• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you stay in a space hotel?

• Yes

Votes: 92 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 30 21.4%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
interestingengineering.com

NASA Veterans Are Building an Orbital Space Hotel With Artificial Gravity

NASA veterans in a new company are building the first space hotel! Featuring artificial gravity.

In short, the company of NASA veterans plans to rapidly assemble a habitable "space hotel" in low-Earth orbit that spins fast enough to generate artificial gravity for guests, scientists, astronauts, and more, according to an event called "First Assembly" — which streamed live on the company's YouTube channel.

As a multi-stage project to build the first-ever space station featuring artificial gravity, Orbital Assembly Corporation (OAC) is now officially open for investors to co-own at $0.25 per share, until April 1, 2021. But with such a heavy emphasis on commercial backing and services, it's unclear what near-term benefits this will foster for the public.

focal-point.jpg

"Our vision is to create a space construction company for the design, manufacture, and assembly of large structures in space, including commercial space stations, space solar power platforms, and propellant depots," reads the company's introduction on Net Capital. "To achieve this objective, we developed several design patents for in-space assembly robots."

technologies.jpg

The Voyager Station will be roughly 650 ft (200 m) in diameter — with 24 integrated habitation modules, each of which will be 65 ft (20 m) in length and 40 ft (12 m) in diameter. At near-lunar gravity, the VSS will have functional toilets, showers, and allow running and jumping in normal albeit unnatural-feeling ways.

Fixed modules will handle air water and power — but there will also be a kitchen module, and a gym for sports and special events. Notably, the executive officers of OAC hope the first use for the orbiting ring will be as a space hotel.

"We don't want the Voyager experience to be like being in an attack submarine in combat — so we're [building] for comfort," said Tom Spilker, OAC's CTO, and VP of Engineering and Space Systems Design who has worked at NASA JPL on the Voyager probes, Cassini, and more. "It's a bit smaller than the length of the U.S. Capitol building," with a roughly 1 and one-quarter rotation-per-minute angular velocity.

Despite the seemingly endless list of luxury amenities, there will also be airlocks for visitors — so anyone who can afford a space hotel can go on a private spacewalk, "where the only thing between you and the universe is a faceplate," said Spilker.

milestones-2020-2027.jpg

As Orbital Assembly Corporation begins amassing investors for its gravity ring, Voyager Space Station, and beyond — there's no doubting we've entered a new chapter of the space age. It's clear that science and exploration will have roles in this future, but — unlike the days of Apollo and the Space Shuttle — it's hard to say who this new chapter ultimately serves.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trusting a private corporation to send me to space. People have to know even NASA and Russian Space Agency have had multiple issues. This is an airplane

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, a station would be needed at some point from where people can come and go to work sites, instead of having living quarters at every work site. So it wouldn't be a hotel, it would be living quarters for workers.

But we're not yet in a position to justify this, and I feel it's more likely that by then we would have humanoid robots to do everything humans could, probably remote controlled with VR and AI.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah I'll stay over in space. Just like flying in a plane, I just need enough alcohol to make it through take off I'm sure

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making sure Starship can dock. they know which way space travel is going and it aint SLS. Financially it shouldn't be too bad. Most of the Station is going to inflatable structures held in place by a skeleton frame. Lots of work though still being in space

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SpaceX is a private corporation and a good 10 to 15 years ahead of NASA.
They literally rely on NASA. And have flown what 3? crewed flights. Some of which have had problems? Wait until their first crewed flight kills someone... People are going to freak out. I see virgin galactic being more possible in my life. But this stuff. It's for billionaires

I just don't see personal spaceflight being sustainable until late in this century. we're like only 70 years out from sputnik and we've had mistakes not even 20 years ago.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck to them. There's not really any specific engineering new hurdles that need to be cleared to achieve this(like new power sources or rocket tech), so it sounds be perfectly feasible with the right backing.

While I appreciate SpaceXs efforts, they are mostly certainly not 10-15years ahead of NASA.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to them. I do feel the actual building is a bit less of an engineering

While I appreciate SpaceXs efforts, they are mostly certainly not 10-15years ahead of NASA.
Yeah. While they did do that flight to the sun, Nasa's landing on asteroids and doing exploration.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love it. It's thrilling to see so many space-focused startups. NASA just doesn't get enough funding.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, NASA has used private contractors for years. Boeing, Lockheed, Grumman, etc actually build a lot of the shit NASA uses.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're right, it's closer to 20-30 years. Guys NASA hasn't launched anything of their own since the space shuttles were grounded, it's all contracting to private rocket firms. They couldn't build a rocket if they wanted to.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, it's closer to 20-30 years. Guys NASA hasn't launched anything of their own since the space shuttles were grounded, it's all contracting to private rocket firms. They couldn't build a rocket if they wanted to.

Yeah lol, the basic premise of a space agency should be capability to get shit into space. NASA can't do that cost effectively.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have the Atlas V which has had 85 launches...
And the SLS is supposed to launch this year.
They've also launched probes repeatedly. And Space X's human launches have all needed NASA. And there landing a rover on Mars next month. Elon is launching small satellites to go in to LEO to fund an insane project which is going to flood LEO with space junk. Nasa is far beyond that. Its impressive what they've done but to say their far beyond NASA is insane.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to them. There's not really any specific engineering new hurdles that need to be cleared to achieve this(like new power sources or rocket tech), so it sounds be perfectly feasible with the right backing.

In terms of reusable rockets, which is space X's business they most definitely are. No government is even close to what space x is doing with their rocketry and their cost per launch is a fraction of what nasa spends because of it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Assuming it's safe enough. Like a couple of years of successful launches. I'd do it.

No one here could afford it of course. Good for Tom Cruise and James Cameron and whatever billionaires can afford to go though.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one here could afford it of course
Well if you feel lucky you can enter a "donation lottery" for a chance to win a seat lol

Some of which have had problems?
you're probably confusing dragon with Boeing Starliner which actually failed to reach the ISS in their unmanned test back in December 2019 a retest is scheduled in late March

They have the Atlas V which has had 85 launches..
Atlas isn't NASA it's a United launch Alliance rocket which is a joint venture between Lockheed and Boeing

the SLS is supposed to launch this year
I'll believe it when it finally lift off and that's not even talking about the absurd per launch price tag of 2 billion+ with that cash you could launch about 13 falcon Heavy in fully expendable mode(2018 prices) now of course SLS can send more tonnage per launch which is the only good thing about it however as soon as starship or Vulcan is operational that advantage will vanish. SLS could have been a decent rocket.. in the 90s/2000 but we're no longer in those period so it's just a giant waste of money

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

This idea of a SpaceX vs. NASA rivalry is pointless and quickly dying. One benefits from the successes of the other. Sure, SLS still exists because of political will, existing plans, and specific mission profiles, but NASA didn't commission Lunar Starship just for the sake of it. SpaceX builds Starship and NASA gets a relatively cheap way to get even bigger telescopes into orbit and bigger and better unmanned missions deep in the solar system. NASA probably wouldn't build rockets if they didn't need to.

Elon is launching small satellites to go in to LEO to fund an insane project which is going to flood LEO with space junk.

Didn't we have a thread and talk about why this is the wrong idea about a year ago? Starlink satellites deorbit fast if they're not regularly running their thrusters.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Being in space would be cool I guess but even if it was the same price as visiting another country... what exactly are you doing up there as a tourist?

Now a Moon hotel with a dune buggy track...

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if you feel lucky you can enter a "donation lottery" for a chance to win a seat lol

you're probably confusing dragon with Boeing Starliner which actually failed to reach the ISS in their unmanned test back in December 2019 a retest is scheduled in late March

Atlas isn't NASA it's a United launch Alliance rocket which is a joint venture between Lockheed and Boeing

I'll believe it when it finally lift off and that's not even talking about the absurd per launch price tag of 2 billion+ with that cash you could launch about 13 falcon Heavy in fully expendable mode(2018 prices) now of course SLS can send more tonnage per launch which is the only good thing about it however as soon as starship or Vulcan is operational that advantage will vanish. SLS could have been a decent rocket.. in the 90s/2000 but we're no longer in those period so it's just a giant waste of money

No I'm not confusing Space X has had failures.

And Atlas is a Nasa rocket. The fact they contract out doesn't change that. That's like saying The Saturn V was really a Boeing and Douglas rocket. It was created directly for the US Air Force (now Space Force)

And yes it's expensive and has had delays it's accountable to science and safety not market forces.

And none of you comments go to the point space x is 20-30 years ahead of NASA. Again their not landing on other celestial bodies regularly doing actual science. When that starship actually lands on other planets or the moon they will be were NASA was... in 1969...

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Cheap(er) launches to orbit like SpaceX is providing will probably be essential for something like this to take off. What interesting times we live in.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And providing fast internet to remote and poor locations is hard to be critical of.
Sure, I'm sure Elon who came from a family that exploited african miners is really concerned about them. You know he could do this with his billions and not in this fantasy way.

The US did it with the electrification of the rural US with the New Deal and not with some sci-fi plan that will not be as reliable or cheap as just stringing a wire.

This is all billionaires fueling their egos. Space Xs greatest feats have been doing the same things states have been doing for decades, though the relanding of the boosters is pretty cool (though nasa was reusing boosters and spaceships in the 80s) . That's great it cheaper! We need cheaper things for LEO.

It's just this write off of NASA and their support for all of these groups and the ground breaking work because billionaires are more flashy is bad

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'm sure Elon who came from a family that exploited african miners is really concerned about them. You know he could do this with his billions and not in this fantasy way.

The US did it with the electrification of the rural US with the New Deal and not with some sci-fi plan that will not be as reliable or cheap as just stringing a wire.

This is all billionaires fueling their egos. Space Xs greatest feats have been doing the same things states have been doing for decades, though the relanding of the boosters is pretty cool (though nasa was reusing boosters and spaceships in the 80s) . That's great it cheaper! We need cheaper things for LEO.

It's just this write off of NASA and their support for all of these groups and the ground breaking work because billionaires are more flashy is bad
My comment was in conversation regarding it being called an "insane project" which is dismissive of its value to those communities, regardless of the motives. So this seems like an excessive and weird tangent, but ok.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

So when is "the government" (nevermind how that would work on a global level) going to provide high speed internet access everywhere in the world? Is the Biden admin planning that? Is this a big topic among politicians, left or right? Anyone with a proposal trying to push for that?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

Jesus C the fanboying of space companies. They offer valuable services to NASA, yes, they have taken market shares on rocket technology, yes, they're not somehow equivalent to NASA in scope and breadth.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
In sure even a million would be difficult to get you 1 night in something like that with travel and equipment involved...

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when is "the government" (nevermind how that would work on a global level) going to provide high speed internet access everywhere in the world? Is the Biden admin planning that? Is this a big topic among politicians, left or right? Anyone with a proposal trying to push for that?
In the US, yes. His FCC chief is making it a priority and Elon wasn't doing this for africa https://www.agri-pulse.com/articles...-the-digital-divide-is-very-real-and-very-big

In other news 20-30 years ahead of NASA

www.theverge.com

Another SpaceX Starship nails clean test flight, but explodes on landing

It’s the company’s second rocket prototype to perish in an explosive landing attempt.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure what's "fantasy"-like about Starlink.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the US, yes. His FCC chief is making it a priority and Elon wasn't doing this for africa https://www.agri-pulse.com/articles...-the-digital-divide-is-very-real-and-very-big

www.theverge.com

Another SpaceX Starship nails clean test flight, but explodes on landing

It’s the company’s second rocket prototype to perish in an explosive landing attempt.

Can you provide a link that isn't pay-walled about the Biden admin's plan to offer global high speed internet coverage including in remote locations?

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I'm not confusing Space X has had failures
Ah your talking in general and not on a crew mission in this case falcon 9 failed 2 time(crs-7&amos-6) out of hundred'ish successful launch as such falcon 9 is a reliable and safe rocket by pretty much any definition
And Atlas is a Nasa rocket. The fact they contract out doesn't change that. That's like saying The Saturn V was really a Boeing and Douglas rocket. It was created directly for the US Air Force (now Space Force)
I'm sorry but by your own shitty definition wouldn't falcon 9 be a NASA rocket since NASA provided money for its development?
And yes it's expensive and has had delays it's accountable to science and safety not market forces
Wtf does that even mean lol
prototype are expected to fail don't get me wrong sn9 did fail i'm not denying that but to dismiss spaceX advance just because of that is just plain stupid

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Against. I'm convinced that essentially all space stuff that's not from scientific agencies is either a scam or a deeply evil scheme catering to billionaires wanting to become space dictators.

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.space.com

Company plans to start building private Voyager space station with artificial gravity in 2025

Voyager Station will be able to accommodate 400 guests, its builders say.

The hour-long Jan. 29 presentation and Q&A session was hosted by OAC medical advisor Shawna Pandya and streamed live on the company's YouTube channel. During the event, the space construction company revealed its schedule for the next chapter of human space exploration.

Its team of skilled NASA veterans, pilots, engineers and architects intends to assemble a "space hotel" in low Earth orbit that rotates fast enough to generate artificial gravity for vacationers, scientists, astronauts educators and anyone else who wants to experience off-Earth living.

Voyager Station is patterned after concepts imagined by legendary rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, one of the main orchestrators of NASA's Apollo program. The 650-foot-wide (200 meters) wheel-shaped habitat will spin with an angular velocity high enough to create moon-like levels of artificial gravity for occupants.

If realized, Voyager would become the biggest human-made structure in space, fully equipped to accommodate up to 400 people. Assembly is scheduled to begin around 2025, Gateway Foundation representatives said.

This shining technological ring will feature amenities ranging from themed restaurants, viewing lounges, movie theaters and concert venues to bars, libraries, gyms, and a health spa.

Voyager will house 24 integrated habitation modules, each of which will be 65 feet long and 40 feet wide (20 by 12 meters). At near-lunar gravity, the rotating resort will have functional toilets, showers, and allow jogging and jumping in fun and novel ways.

"The gravity ring is going to be a key technology demonstration project that we plan to build, assemble and operate in low Earth orbit in just a few years' time," said OAC co-founder Jeff Greenblatt. "The company also plans to use an orbital version of the DSTAR called the PSTAR, which stands for Prototype Structural Truss Assembly Robot."

This gravity ring will act as a "near-term demonstrator," which will take two to three years to build and launch. Once installed in orbit, its assembly will take just three days. This structure will act as the company's test base for many of the technologies to be used to build Voyager Station.

"We haven't seen an explosion of commercial activity in space," Alatorre said. "The cost has been about $8,000 per kilogram [$17,600 per lb.] for a long time. But with the Falcon 9, you can do it for less than $2,000. And as Starship comes online, it will only cost a few hundred dollars." (These were references to SpaceX launchers — the company's workhorse Falcon 9 rocket and its Starship Mars vehicle, which is in development.)

"Microgravity is just brutal on our bodies," Alatorre added "We need artificial gravity — a mechanism to give us a dosage of gravity to give us the ability to live long-term in space."

"We don't want the Voyager experience to be like being in an attack submarine in combat, so we're [building] for comfort," said Tom Spilker, OAC's chief technology officer and vice president of engineering and space systems design. "It's a bit smaller than the length of the U.S. Capitol building."

"Despite the seemingly endless list of luxury amenities, there will also be airlocks for visitors," Spilker added. "So anyone who can afford a space hotel can go on a private spacewalk, where the only thing between you and the universe is a faceplate."

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.cnn.com

Inside the space hotel scheduled to open in 2025

Orbital Assembly Corporation is planning to build Voyager Station and Pioneer Station, two space hubs in the sky. The company says its space stations are the future of space tourism.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210303180854-space-hotel-voyager-station-1.jpg

Fast forward a couple years and the hotel has a new name -- Voyager Station -- and it's set to be built by Orbital Assembly Corporation, a new construction company run by former pilot John Blincow, who also heads up the Gateway Foundation.

In a recent interview with CNN Travel, Blincow explained there had been some Covid-related delays, but construction on the space hotel is expected to begin in 2026, and a sojourn in space could be a reality by 2027.

"We're trying to make the public realize that this golden age of space travel is just around the corner. It's coming. It's coming fast," said Blincow.

Renderings of what the hotel might look like suggest an interior not dissimilar to a luxury Earth-bound hotel, just with some pretty spectacular out-of-this-world views.

When the initial designs premiered a couple years ago, Tim Alatorre, senior design architect at Orbital Assembly Corporation told CNN Travel the hotel's aesthetic was a direct response to the Stanley Kubrick movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" -- which he called "almost a blueprint of what not to do."

"I think the goal of Stanley Kubrick was to highlight the divide between technology and humanity and so, purposefully, he made the stations and the ships very sterile and clean and alien."

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210303181013-space-hotel-voyager-station-5.jpg

For now, the space hotel isn't advertising a room rate, but expect it to come with a pretty hefty price tag attached.

Virgin Galactic, for example, plans to launch passengers into sub-orbital space at $250,000 per person, per trip.

However the team behind Voyager Station have said they're hoping to eventually make a stay at the hotel equivalent to "a trip on a cruise or a trip to Disneyland."