• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.reuters.com

Trump says looking at pressuring other Chinese companies after Bytedance

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he could exert pressure on more Chinese companies such as technology giant Alibaba <BABA.N> after he moved to ban TikTok.

BEDMINSTER, N.J. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he could exert pressure on more Chinese companies such as technology giant Alibaba (BABA.N) after he moved to ban TikTok.

Asked at a news conference whether there were other particular China-owned companies he was considering a ban on, such as Alibaba, Trump replied: "Well, we're looking at other things, yes."

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns of xenophobia and conflating businesses with governments over multiple posts
Honestly don't care about this. While the government is spiriting away religious minorities for "reeducation," strong-arming Hong Kong, imprisoning political dissenters and propping up their leader for life, there are so many other Trump actions that are going to get my attention beyond him ham handedly trying to play hardball with China.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly don't care about this. While the government is spiriting away religious minorities for "reeducation," strong-arming Hong Kong, imprisoning political dissenters and propping up their leader for life, there are so many other Trump actions that are going to get my attention beyond him ham handedly trying to play hardball with China.
A Japanese company is the major shareholder of Alibaba, but maybe it doesn't make a difference when you hate everything 'China'.

"Oh, but I only mean the CCP". Then F off with this yellow peril BS. Playing right into the fascist's hand.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A Japanese company is the major shareholder of Alibaba, but maybe it doesn't make a difference when you hate everything 'China'.

"Oh, but I only mean the CCP". Then F off with this yellow peril BS. Playing right into the fascist's hand.
What is your proffered response for the treatment of Uighurs?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

There's been some indications that there's been an attempt at a pivot away from being CCP controlled since Jack Ma was kicked out of the CCP and then retired, but lets not act like Alibaba wasn't completely in bed with the CCP for quite a while. They straight up bought out news outlets in order to reform them into CCP mouthpieces. Calling them CCP controlled is still fair until they prove otherwise.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
What is your proffered response for the treatment of Uighurs?

Do you honestly believe the Orange baboon is doing this to put the squeeze on China over their treatment of the Uighur people? The same Trump that floated the idea to put Muslim Americans in a database does not give a single flying fuck about Uighurs.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In truth, regardless of what Trump says, I believe any corporation that has solid ties to the CCP needs to be investigated and sanctioned.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
www.reuters.com

Trump says looking at pressuring other Chinese companies after Bytedance

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he could exert pressure on more Chinese companies such as technology giant Alibaba <BABA.N> after he moved to ban TikTok.

BEDMINSTER, N.J. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he could exert pressure on more Chinese companies such as technology giant Alibaba (BABA.N) after he moved to ban TikTok.

Asked at a news conference whether there were other particular China-owned companies he was considering a ban on, such as Alibaba, Trump replied: "Well, we're looking at other things, yes."
Trump couldn't even name another Chinese company operating in the US if they tried.

They will do what they're told. Remember when they let ZTE off because Xi told them to.

Trump will get bored soon enough when this continues to not move the election needle.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017

One interesting little known thing is a South African company invested 30+ millions for 33% stake in Tencent back in early 2000s. They are still holding 31% and sold 2% for 10billions recently.

This is Trump trying to burn the bridges beyond repair with China. Climate change, trade and everything else.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone in the TikTok thread who was celebrating the potential death of the platform, this is the rest of the scenario playing out.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
He doesn't care as long as China gets it.

This is correct. I frankly do not care what his purposes are. I'm only interested in potential leverage that can be created for a more thoughtful diplomacy when he's gone. My point is that I don't really understand the weeping and wailing in response to antagonism directed against a government doing the things I listed above.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
This is correct. I frankly do not care what his purposes are. I'm only interested in potential leverage that can be created for a more thoughtful diplomacy when he's gone. My point is that I don't really understand the weeping and wailing in response to antagonism directed against a government doing the things I listed above.
Your anti Chinese sentiment is duly noted

Thank you for your honesty.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana

I frankly do not care what your purposes are. My point is that I don't really understand the weeping and wailing in response to antagonism directed against a government that is attacking peaceful protestors, violating numerous constitutional rights, placing children and families in cages, refusing to acknowledge the reality of the global pandemic, etc.

USA! USA! USA! Right?

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I frankly do not care what your purposes are. My point is that I don't really understand the weeping and wailing in response to antagonism directed against a government that is attacking peaceful protestors, violating numerous constitutional rights, placing children and families in cages, refusing to acknowledge the reality of the global pandemic, etc.

USA! USA! USA! Right?

This is a good post except the last part. Now imagine if I insinuated that you were racist because you attacked my trash government and its anti-democratic actions.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yikes... downplaying ethnic diversity in China is a telling take to have.
91 percent of China's population is Han Chinese. Is 91 percent of the United States population one ethnic group?

But don't let facts stand in your way. Keep trolling and equating that criticism of the united states is an attack on American ethnicity.

Do what you got to do to let your anti Chinese hate boner be free.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Sure if the people the united states is comprised of one ethnicity, or predominantly one ethnicity, you might a point.

Keep pretending you're not being anti Chinese tho.

What crazy ass take is this? To be sure I'm not misunderstanding and making a mistake, are you straight up saying you can't criticize a country that is predominantly of one ethnicity without being a bigot?

91 percent of China's population is Han Chinese. Is 91 percent of the United States population one ethnic group?

But don't let facts stand in your way. Keep trolling and equating that criticism of the united states is an attack on American ethnicity.

Do what you got to do to let your anti Chinese hate boner be free.

This isn't any better. Are you saying that attacks on a government of a country that is predominantly of a single ethnicity are inherently bigoted?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
What crazy ass take is this? To be sure I'm not misunderstanding and making a mistake, are you straight up saying you can't criticize a country that is predominantly of one ethnicity without being a bigot?
Yeah we've had sinophobia disguised as anti ccp post run around here for too long, along with other anti Asian sentiments. I'm not naive to believe people who agreed with, "As long as china gets it", is actually talking about the ccp. They either hate Chinese people or they hate the ccp enough that they have no issues with Chinese people getting shitted on as long as they can shit on the ccp.

You believe what you want, but I've had it with the sinophobia and the anti Asian sentiments.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we've had sinophobia disguised as anti ccp post run around here for too long, along with other anti Asian sentiments. I'm not naive to believe people who agreed with, "As long as china gets it", is actually talking about the ccp. They either hate Chinese people or they hate the ccp enough that they have no issues with Chinese people getting shitted on as long as they can shit on the ccp.

You believe what you want, but I've had it with the sinophobia and the anti Asian sentiments.

If someone is actually being racist than call them out for being racist. Trying to stifle criticism of the CCP with accusations of being racist is nonsense and reeks of what happens a lot with anyone criticizing Israel getting thrown accusations of antisemitism.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
If someone is actually being racist than call them out for being racist. Trying to stifle criticism of the CCP with accusations of being racist is nonsense and reeks of what happens a lot with anyone criticizing Israel getting thrown accusations of antisemitism.
Read through all his post and if you still feel there's no thinly vieled anti Chinese sentiments, then there's nothing for me to discuss with you. You can then proceed to put me on ignore or report me.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Read through all his post and if you still feel there's no thinly vieled anti Chinese sentiments, then there's nothing for me to discuss with you. You can then proceed to put me on ignore or report me.

You created an insane and arbitrary definition of what's anti-Chinese that little criticism or action against its government can survive (when is criticism against a government one against a people? When there's 90% ethnic uniformity? 85%? 70%?). Meanwhile, you're silent on the actual critiques and offer no solutions for ways to foster less anti-democratic actions.

Anyone checking my post history will see that I don't shy away from criticizing my country, and certainly my piece of shit President.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
You created an insane and arbitrary definition of what's anti-Chinese that little criticism or action against its government can survive (when is criticism against a government one against a people? When there's 90% ethnic uniformity? 85%? 70%?). Meanwhile, you're silent on the actual critiques and offer no solutions for ways to foster less anti-democratic actions.

Anyone checking my post history will see that I don't shy away from criticizing my country, and certainly my piece of shit President.
I didn't create any special ass definition to call sinophobia when I see it.

You're literally okay with being in bed with facism so you can get a one up against china. You've literally agreed to doing whatever it takes, when I was being sarcastic. If you didn't mean to come across as anti Chinese, you're appearing as one, but I very much doubt it.

And stop acting like criticizing your own country puts you above the ability to be sinophobic.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't create any special ass definition to call sinophobia when I see it.

You're literally okay with being in bed with facism so you can get a one up against china. You've literally agreed to doing whatever it takes, when I was being sarcastic. If you didn't mean to come across as anti Chinese, you're appearing as one, but I very much doubt it.

And stop acting like criticizing your own country puts you above the ability to be sinophobic.

What is appropriate criticism and action towards and against the CCP?

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not inciting a trade war that will leave more people destitute, hungry, and poor because of the resulting recession/depression to spur change in a domestic policy that will almost inevitably result in nothing happening at all.
Ignoring the exaggeration, that's what NOT to do, still silent on what to do.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the exaggeration, that's what NOT to do, still silent on what to do.

The solution is normalize trade relations and letting diplomacy work earnestly and transparently. All of your solutions would never work because USA (and it's allies) have their own human and civil rights abuses and China knows it. No hardline sanction-esque approach will work because they are literally the engine of the global economy. That may not be ideal to you but your solution will harm more lives than it will save.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The solution is normalize trade relations and letting diplomacy work earnestly and transparently. All of your solutions would never work because USA (and it's allies) have their own human and civil rights abuses and China knows it. No hardline sanction-esque approach will work because they are literally the engine of the global economy. That may not be ideal to you but your solution will harm more lives than it will save.
Normalization largely describes US policy from about 1980. The view being that economic integration would lead to stability and the growing of democratic desires over time. Instead, the arrogance of capitalism in western democracies has been shown outright. Capitalism doesn't demand or require democracy, at a certain point it may even repel it, and China and the US are now so economically entangled it's hard for diplomacy to even have relevant leverage. Diplomacy isn't sitting down and reasoning out views, there has to be some gain garnered for taking new approaches.

Regarding the US's human rights failures, I'm well aware. I'm also aware that the Soviet Union so easily being able to point out US hypocrisy in that space gave major assistance to the Civil Rights movement. The US being louder about human rights violations, allows me to flip that back on our leaders domestically—so I welcome it, not shy away from it.

I think people are conflating the Iran-US situation with the China-US one. China is an economic juggernaut, that has largely been unresponsive to human rights appeals. Iran doesnt have such power and multilateral agreements and normalization exacted more influence than the current US bullying that is explicitly costing Iranian lives.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normalization largely describes US policy from about 1980. The view being that economic integration would lead to stability and the growing of democratic desires over time. Instead, the arrogance of capitalism in western democracies has been shown outright. Capitalism doesn't demand or require democracy, at a certain point it may even repel it, and China and the US are now so economically entangled it's hard for diplomacy to even have relevant leverage. Diplomacy isn't sitting down and reasoning out views, there has to be some gain garnered for taking new approaches.

Regarding the US's human rights failures, I'm well aware. I'm also aware that the Soviet Union so easily being able to point out US hypocrisy in that space gave major assistance to the Civil Rights movement. The US being louder about human rights violations, allows me to flip that back on our leaders domestically—so I welcome it, not shy away from it.

I think people are conflating the Iran-US situation with the China-US one. China is an economic juggernaut, that has largely been unresponsive to human rights appeals. Iran doesnt have such power and multilateral agreements and normalization exacted more influence than the current US bullying that is explicitly costing Iranian lives.

if you know all that then I don't know how you can believe that a hawkish China foreign policy will work in the slightest.