• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
in case you had any illusions about what class and ideology the New York Times aligns with:

Options for Struggling Landlords Whose Tenants Can't Pay the Rent

Try to negotiate some sort of payment plan with your tenants. The legislation delays evictions, but it does not erase the back rent. You could bring a case against your tenant for the unpaid rent now, damaging their credit. Even if you don't do that, a future owner of the building could sue them. David Skaller, a litigator and partner at the Manhattan law firm Belkin Burden Goldman suggested using that as a negotiating point: If they work out an agreement with you privately, they can avoid court and protect their credit.

If they've lost wages and are unable to pay, offer them information about unemployment assistance or other benefits. Perhaps they could pay a reduced rent in exchange for waiving past debt, providing you with some income and them with some financial relief. You could offer to pay them to vacate. Of course, they may not be in a position to move, as a new landlord wouldn't look favorably on tenants with such a rent history. Or they may be nervous about moving during a pandemic.

With so many New Yorkers suddenly unable to pay their rent amid the pandemic, state and federal lawmakers have passed multiple eviction moratoriums, including the latest on Dec. 28. But these laws and executive orders have provided little relief for landlords who still have to pay to keep their buildings operating.

The new law in New York halts almost all evictions for at least 60 days, including on leases that have already expired. Tenants who sign a document stating they have experienced a Covid-related hardship can extend the protection until May 1.

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-rich-people.jpg

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
"you could try sucking a little less money out of them, leach."

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
You know, forgetting all the deeper issues of class, etc.

It's an investment, and fucking investments fucking fail.

These motherfuckers who would slit their throats over a real social safety net for people who had a string of bad luck and find themselves without a job, without a home, unable to feed their kids...who love 'personal responsibility'...these are the motherfuckers whining.

I remember when too big to fail was just the banks.

Take your fucking L, get out of real estate, 'learn to code' or whatever.

Your investment is tied to motherfuckers being able to pay you for a place to live, economy crashes and you think it shouldn't affect you? Fuck outta here. It's the stench of hypocrisy that gets to me. You chose the wrong industry at the wrong time, get fucked like anyone else

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bohoooo let me shed a tear for you paying property taxes on your own investments....

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if landlords sold their massive property portfolios and owned one house and one house only while working a job they wouldn't be in so much trouble.

Fuck landlords.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Because landlords are so much more important and deserve the money much more than the people they rent out to 🙄

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's a very naïve assumption to think that it's only the super wealthy that are the people out there owning multiple properties and being impacted by the lack of rent coming in. I used to write mortgages, so obviously this is all anecdotal, but I'd guess that at least half the people I used to qualify who had rental income were still only barely getting by with it. These aren't people who just go out and buy ten houses because they hit the lotto. A lot of times it's people who inherit their parents' home after they pass and decide to rent it out for some extra cash, or have their "starter home" and then get married and have kids and rather than sell their first home they just rent it out so they can eventually pay off that mortgage.

There are a lot of these people that are leveraged to the eyeballs on these mortgages and all of their tenants just got a free pass on paying the mortgage. Obviously they shouldn't have allowed themselves to get over-leveraged to begin with, but that doesn't make their situations any better or any less deserving of getting assistance. These are people that are now feeling the impact of COVID economy just as much as anyone else in the service sector. (And obviously I'm also not referring to these massive real estate investment companies.)

The result of this all, too, is that these tenants aren't going to be able to pay their back rent so you're going to have a glut of people evicted from their homes by landlords who were forced to keep them in without having any assistance given to their own financial situations to begin with. This whole thing is a downward spiral that didn't need to happen if we just had some sort of leadership in Washington who could have been proactive with these issues as opposed to waiting until now and having it all be reactive.

Give it a few posts, they'll show up here.

Here. :)

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck NYT and fuck landlords.

Investments carry risk you scummy motherfuckers, these pieces of shit chose to make their livelihood dependent on the income of someone much poorer than them. Try getting an honest job. That should be the first and only NYT suggestion

and btw in a city like NYC "mom and pop" landlords are mostly a fiction

May 19, 2020
It's a very naïve assumption to think that it's only the super wealthy that are the people out there owning multiple properties and being impacted by the lack of rent coming in. I used to write mortgages, so obviously this is all anecdotal, but I'd guess that at least half the people I used to qualify who had rental income were still only barely getting by with it. These aren't people who just go out and buy ten houses because they hit the lotto. A lot of times it's people who inherit their parents' home after they pass and decide to rent it out for some extra cash, or have their "starter home" and then get married and have kids and rather than sell their first home they just rent it out so they can eventually pay off that mortgage.

There are a lot of these people that are leveraged to the eyeballs on these mortgages and all of their tenants just got a free pass on paying the mortgage. Obviously they shouldn't have allowed themselves to get over-leveraged to begin with, but that doesn't make their situations any better or any less deserving of getting assistance. These are people that are now feeling the impact of COVID economy just as much as anyone else in the service sector. (And obviously I'm also not referring to these massive real estate investment companies.)

The result of this all, too, is that these tenants aren't going to be able to pay their back rent so you're going to have a glut of people evicted from their homes by landlords who were forced to keep them in without having any assistance given to their own financial situations to begin with. This whole thing is a downward spiral that didn't need to happen if we just had some sort of leadership in Washington who could have been proactive with these issues as opposed to waiting until now and having it all be reactive.
play stupid games in a broken rental/housing system, win the stupid prizes of a broken rental/housing system. landlords deserve no sympathy.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"We must reward risk taking, I spent money on something without knowing for sure I will make a profit, the greatest risk of all, I must be handsomely rewarded for such amazing risk taking!"

[investment doesn't pan out]

"wtf I thought I was supposed to be making money, this was not part of the deal, someone bail me out"

Oct 27, 2017

These motherfuckers who would slit their throats over a real social safety net for people who had a string of bad luck and find themselves without a job, without a home, unable to feed their kids...who love 'personal responsibility'...these are the motherfuckers whining.

Your investment is tied to motherfuckers being able to pay you for a place to live, economy crashes and you think it shouldn't affect you? Fuck outta here. It's the stench of hypocrisy that gets to me. You chose the wrong industry at the wrong time, get fucked like anyone else
Pretty much. They want all the benefits of investing with none of the risk. It doesn't and shouldn't work that way, so they can fuck off.

May 19, 2020
"We must reward risk taking, I spent money on something without knowing for sure I will make a profit, the greatest risk of all, I must be handsomely rewarded for such amazing risk taking!"

[investment doesn't pan out]

"wtf I thought I was supposed to be making money, this was not part of the deal, someone bail me out"
yeah these people are all about cowboy capitalism until they get bit in the ass and then it's the hugest whining in the fucking world for safety nets

Trust

Jun 10, 2018
Maybe if landlords sold their massive property portfolios and owned one house and one house only while working a job they wouldn't be in so much trouble.

Fuck landlords.

My family had to sell our home that we lived in. We rented out the first floor to help pay the rising property taxes and general maintenance. Tenants couldn't pay rent and we were forced to sell the house. Granted we're in a much better situation but not all landlords are money hungry greedy people like you and many others in this thread claim to be.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really feel badly for anyone who has separate properties they rent out, but there are also plenty of landlords who rent out portions of their primary residence.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. The banks aren't being less ruthless to landlords. Governments need to just tell banks that for X months the mortgages and whatnot will be waived and will resume (meaning no back pay) after. Money has to to flow it seems.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not all landlords are dispassionate assholes who own wide swaths of real estate. Alot are people you know and are struggling to keep their homes too.

Not everyone is a mogul. Has no one on here had a decent landlord? I know I have.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
play stupid games in a broken rental/housing system, win the stupid prizes of a broken rental/housing system. landlords deserve no sympathy.
But it's not just the housing system that's broken. It's the entire economy and model that's broken, so how are these people any more or less worthy of scorn than self-employed businesses losing money due to COVID?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Not all landlords are dispassionate assholes who own wide swaths of real estate. Alot are people you know and are struggling to keep their homes too.

Not everyone is a mogul. Has no one on here had a decent landlord? I know I have.
I would assume most people on Era rent from a conglomerate.

May 19, 2020
i think the solution is that there is federal-level rent forgiveness for the tenant during the pandemic period and the landlord is the one who has to file a claim with the government for the back rent. ted and karen slumlord can be the ones to wait on the phone for 45 minutes lol

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Rental prices are in the toilet, it's insane. You can get a 1br in Union Square for $1500/month right now.

I have ZERO sympathy for the LLs. It also amazes me how many of them would rather evict tenants than try to work with them in some capacity— mostly referring to commercial real estate here. Like, if your current tenant that is struggling to pay their rent leaves...who do you think is going to move in?

May 19, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Inappropriate juxtaposition, inflammatory rhetoric over multiple posts and multiple histories of past similar behavor

see also: the decent cops argument, which is also as bullshit and duplicitous as this one

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Only Restera deals in absolutes. All landlords are evil from their point of view.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA

There's going to be a lot of middle class who wind up losing their own homes because of this kind of leveraging. I've heard too many "smart" people who buy a two family split home, live in one and rent out the other side.

But this article is pretty tone deaf wanting to get back rent deals and current threats of ruining someone's credit or pay someone to get out so they can rent to someone who can pay.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I would assume most people on Era rent from a conglomerate.
Really? I've lived all over the country and moved about 20times in my life. The majority of housrs/apartments I rented were privately owned by individuals.

It's naive and totally close minded to think all rentals are from conglomerates and to be hostile towards people who rent. I'm not saying you specifically subpar, but the responses in this thread are getting pretty heated

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Here. :)

In the last thread about this topic, someone posted the stat that about half of all rental property wasn't owned by corporate interests but individual landlords. COVID is definitely going to accelerate the shift away from that.

I've posted this before, but I like my current LL. She owns this building with 5 apartments (of various sizes, it's a partitioned house layout) and she works at a coffee shop. The rental income isn't much after she clears expenses, and I'm worried that since she lost her regular job to COVID that she might consider selling the property to a company.

May 19, 2020
What an awful comparison. Like, you're equating murders who racially profile and uphold a broken system to usually people who have mortgages to pay and need the rent to help pay that. What is wrong with you?
landlords exploit the poor as a general rule and in the big cities are also exploiting broken housing systems where the deck is rigged against poor minority tenants. nice smokescreen attempt tho

OP
OP
Gwenpoolshark

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

Lol I'm the OP and I'll out myself as a landlord in the sense that I have roommates I rent to. I still think this NYT article is absurd and gross and clearly aligns with the concerns of the ruling class over the concerns of working people. Why should my interests matter more than the students I rent to?

I also cancelled their rent during the first 4 months of the pandemic because I could afford to. Their rent is a supplementary income to my academic work and nearly all of it goes back into maintaining the property. Being a landlord is not a job.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
But it's not just the housing system that's broken. It's the entire economy and model that's broken, so how are these people any more or less worthy of scorn than self-employed businesses losing money due to COVID?

I've seen the shady shit landlords do, from conglomerates to mom and pop's, to get tenets out during a pandemic. From refusing to take rent to kick tenets out to ignoring CDC Declarations to have a sheriff just toss their stuff out on the street. That makes them worthy of scorn to me. I spent my entire holiday break fighting against them. Are there some good landlords? I'm sure there are. That doesn't mean that the housing system isn't broken and landlords aren't a problem.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
see also: the decent cops argument, which is also as bullshit and duplicitous as this one
Even beyond that, it's about their function in society, I had nice landlords before, they still made money out the fact that they (or their parents) had enough money to buy place where they didn't have to live in.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
My parents were renting out the 2nd floor of their two family home to afford their mortgage. Would the argument be that they'd be living beyond their means of the people on the 2nd floor stopped paying?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

It's still an investment. There is still risk. Why should they not bear the burden of the investment not panning out.

And the thing is, I do feel for small landlords. Your billion dollar real estate trusts will get a bailout LONG before they will. But it's no different than someone dumping their money in the stock market, sometimes shit doesn't pan out.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I've lived all over the country and moved about 20times in my life. The majority of housrs/apartments I rented were privately owned by individuals.

It's naive and totally close minded to think all rentals are from conglomerates and to be hostile towards people who rent. I'm not saying you specifically subpar, but the responses in this thread are getting pretty heated

It's about half and half for conglomerates and individuals, and probably stacked more toward conglomerates in cities where NIMBY residents repeatedly vote to restrict housing. So I could imagine a person never having one of those options. Me personally, I've actually never rented from a corporation now that I think about it.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

I don't quite get the comparison. Buying real estate and renting it out is an investment that could fail-- I agree. Your real estate could lose value. Your costs could exceed your after-expense take home. Your tenants could fail to pay, as is the case here. But at least for now, it seems like eviction moratoriums actually have distorted the market. The investment isn't being allowed to fail and reset, which is a good thing (I don't want to see people evicted). It's continuing and one party-- the landlord-- is carrying all the deadweight loss. I think the solution seems to be to support all people under a certain income level regardless of how they earn their income.