• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
Something I've noticed over the years when I've met people from the US and friends over there is that the Navy is often treated as the most... Well liked is a strong word, tolerated of the armed forces, especially when the same people don't like the army or the police, mostly because of the US Coast Guard. Other times I've noticed people just don't have an opinion on them or are just there.

I admit that the Coast Guard in the US is considered part of the Navy or part of the armed forces at all is bizarre to me. In the UK, it's not part of the military or law enforcement but under the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and the Transport Secretary.

After mentioning this briefly in another thread yesterday, it got me to think what the general opinion on the US Navy and US Coast Guard is on ERA. Do you find it the most tolerable or just don't have an opinion on them? As an outsider, they seem to be least discussed in US news that gets shown here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Personally I don't prefer one branch over the other. My dad did medical stuff in the Air Force, but I don't have a particular allegiance to them. I think a lot of people join our military because it benefits them financially, and their only other choice is retail. My dad for example was the oldest of six kids so he joined so he could go to medical school.

Some people join because they get caught up in patriotism, some join because of their family history.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they're all the same in terms of awful people, you look up info about Japan and how they view foreigners. Always say the same stuff as US soldiers get drunk, start fights and rape people, just horrible.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Read title, as a family of navy and coast guard i will fist fight anyone

a little biased here.

anyways, a lot of bad shit has happened in the navy and coast guard, just like the other armed forces

to maket his about current events, afaik they are held accountable for their actions more often than not

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I don't prefer one branch over the other. My dad did medical stuff in the Air Force, but I don't have a particular allegiance to them. I think a lot of people join our military because it benefits them financially, and their only other choice is retail. My dad for example was the oldest of six kids so he joined so he could go to medical school.

Some people join because they get caught up in patriotism, some join because of their family history.
How'd that end up for him? Did he make it through med school?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Coast Guard probably rapes fewer people (maybe, probably not) and commits fewer war crimes, so, I guess they're slightly less shitty than the rest of 'em.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Army: Most traditional military experience
Navy: Travel the world
Air Force: If you are really smart and need a more of corporate/less strict experience
Marines: if you're gung ho
Coast Guard: if you wanna join a service without actually joining a service lmao

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Navy bases are really run down. They definitely do not allocate funds to building repairs or general improvements.

Air Force bases are beautiful and the resources available are great. Don't really know about any of the other branches.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Read title, as a family of navy and coast guard i will fist fight anyone

a little biased here.

anyways, a lot of bad shit has happened in the navy and coast guard, just like the other armed forces

to maket his about current events, afaik they are held accountable for their actions more often than not
Lol what? Army vet here, and this bias is speaking loudly. All five of the branches are essentially the same, but the Air Force is pretty easily the best branch to join. They're treated the best and with the most respect, and their schedules are definitely the most sane. Army and Navy are the "largest machines" of the branches, and are very easily the worst experiences as you simply don't matter in organizations this large, speaking from personal experience. Medically discharged in 2011 from the US Army, and if anyone was thinking of joining any branches, I'd recommend Air Force or Coast Guard for quality of life. Navy is just like the Army but at sea, and suffers from all the same systemic issues.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Lol what? Army vet here, and this bias is speaking loudly. All five of the branches are essentially the same, but the Air Force is pretty easily the best branch to join. They're treated the best and with the most respect, and their schedules are definitely the most sane. Army and Navy are the "largest machines" of the branches, and are very easily the worst experiences as you simply don't matter in organizations this large, speaking from personal experience. Medically discharged in 2011 from the US Army, and if anyone was thinking of joining any branches, I'd recommend Air Force or Coast Guard for quality of life. Navy is just like the Army but at sea, and suffers from all the same systemic issues.
Haha yeah. Air force vet here.

Oct 26, 2017
Navy can help deliver foreign aid, protect trading routes, and has peacetime purposes, and the national guard is essential during times of crisis. They're fine with me conceptually.