• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I've just wrapped up Jedi Fallen order and currently working my way through a rewatch of clone wars prior to watching the final season (please mark spoilers).

My opinion is that Clone Wars (including tartakovsky's series) and Rebels among the very best of Star Wars - alongside ESB.

Jedi Fallen order is a great story too. With some brilliant Star Wars moments and a likeable crew. I'm excited for more in this series.

But the issue comes with thinking that ultimately all of this leads up to the absolute wet fart that is TRoS. As a result it feels empty to me, the same way as rewatching old moments from Game of Thrones.

I still wish Disney had decided to take Star Wars away from the OT era. Either with Old Republic movies or a time well past that of Luke Skywalker.

Despite stories like Clone wars, rebels and Fallen order showing that there are still wonderful stories to tell in the universe its underlined with a feeling it just leads to one big meh.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
dddd7038433405.576174b489723.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars in general is an absolute mess right now. I enjoyed Fallen Order for what it was, but I think that's the only Star Wars media of the past decade that I enjoyed outside of TLJ.

I hated Mandalorian with a passion, found TFA boring and uninspired, thought Rogue One was a tonally inconsistent waste of time, and TROS was an absolute abortion.

Wait, no. I thought Solo was fine, I guess.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The future looks bright outside of the movies. Clone Wars season 7 was amazing, Rebels was really good, Mandalorian season 1 was fun and season 2 looks to be even better, I'm excited for the Rebels sequel and other TV projects they're working on, and the comics tend to be pretty good too.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think this is the least invested I've been in Star Wars since I first encountered it. I don't hate it, but I am certainly a lot less passionate about it than I used to be.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The attempts at establishing continuity have for the most part worked out. With WAYYYY more htis than misses. That represents the overall quality of content too. The future of the IP is looking bright
-Mando Season 2
-Fallen Order Sequel
-Rebels Sequel series
-High Republic
-A film by Watiti
-A Disney+ show by one of the creators of Russian Doll

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is the least invested I've been in Star Wars since I first encountered it. I don't hate it, but I am certainly a lot less passionate about it than I used to be.
I was completely checked out at one point too.

But rewatching clone wars and playing through fallen order have me excited to see some more.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I thought the ventral cannons in TFA were dissapointing for the build up but the big underbelly mini-deathstar cannons in TROS made that one planet go boom so I guess they were good.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like everything outside the sequel era. And yeah, it does suck to know it all leads to TROS. It at least feels like Disney itself is kind of avoiding that era though, so I think the future looks bright.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sequel Trilogy is one bland movie, one good movie, and one bad movie. Rogue One and Solo were fun but nothing amazing. Rebels and TCW are good. The Mandalorian is good. Most of the books and comics are mediocre or bad, with some great stuff that stands out.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having just finished Rebels for the first time, I'm probably more into Star Wars than I have been in ages. Honestly I don't even care about the movies anymore, all these TV shows are really killing it and I am here for more of them.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Clone Wars leads directly into Revenge of the Sith, which is a worse movie than TROS. Just enjoy shit in the moment for what it is.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order, Clone Wars, and Mandalorian have me super excited for Star Wars canon.

Rise of Skywalker was the only one that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars leads directly into Revenge of the Sith, which is a worse movie than TROS. Just enjoy shit in the moment for what it is.

It's going to be hard to "redeem" TROS in the same way as ROTS if only because they filled up way too much of the canon that led up to the new movie. However, it is possible they could just decanonize those books like they did with the original Clone Wars cartoon.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Everything that's done with the prequel,OT settings has been good to amazing. Rebels gave us some of the most memorable Star Wars moments, Fallen Order was a total hit, the comics are dumb fun, and Filoni's Siege of Mandalore was incredible.

The second you step foot on the "Sequel Trilogy" era, it all goes to shit. The comics, the novels, the designs, the lore, The in-universe logic, everything is shit. Even what were previously good stories in the ST like Bloodlines or Kylo's training with Snoke have been retroactively made shit thanks to TROS.

Edit: Ah, I see we already got the Fart Wedding Covered

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like it's in the same state it's been in forever, the pre-prequel/OT era putting in work while everything post ROTJ is struggling. Mando being the exception.

The sequel era needs a game like Fallen Order, comics the same quality as the Vader runs, cartoons like Clone Wars or at least Rebels, a show with Mando mass appeal. Disney has failed to capitalize on and flesh out the sequel era with the EU and have instead kept pumping up the OT and recently the prequels. Oh no wait it had a few good novels that got shat on by TROS.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be hard to "redeem" TROS in the same way as ROTS if only because they filled up way too much of the canon that led up to the new movie. However, it is possible they could just decanonize those books like they did with the original Clone Wars cartoon.
The easiest way to "redeem" TROS is to just have another movie with some or all of the ST cast in it, so TROS is no longer the final word on Rey, Finn, Poe, etc. Which, who knows, might happen someday.

As underwhelmed as I was by TROS, my feeling is less "it sucks that everything led up to this movie" and more like, TROS' underwhelming-ness makes me appreciate TFA and TLJ even more.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back Legends as main canon.

Don't care if it contains a load of shit, it also has a lot more good stuff than Disney have put out.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about that is that RotS, while a worse movie, doesn't override the finality of the original trilogy. So while it's disappointing, it isn't the be all end all movie that has every plot line culminate in it, and it still left us with a future to look forward to. TROS, on the other hand? Well, that's it. Anakin's sacrifice meant jack shit in the end, and so did his and Luke's journeys.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Feels like it's in the same state it's been in forever, the pre-prequel/OT era putting in work while everything post ROTJ is struggling. Mando being the exception.

The sequel era needs a game like Fallen Order, comics the same quality as the Vader runs, cartoons like Clone Wars or at least Rebels, a show with Mando mass appeal. Disney has failed to capitalize on and flesh out the sequel era with the EU and have instead kept pumping up the OT and recently the prequels. Oh no wait it had a few good novels that got shat on by TROS.

Mando is not what I'd call a Sequel Trilogy show, it's clearly set during the time before the Sequel Trilogy reset to status quo took place, so it has a very Rebels like "OT+Prequel" vibe.

A Sequel Trilogy show would make use of the ST's aesthetic, that means FO Troopers, Resistance, Black Tie Fighters, Blue X-Wings, Jakku the dessert planet, Takodana the forest planet,bigger Star Destroyers, Y-Wings that look stripped down because the manufacturers appeal to in-universe nostalgia, Snoke being in charge while Palpatine is also in charge somehow...and, and...Man that setting sucks so much...

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The easiest way to "redeem" TROS is to just have another movie with some or all of the ST cast in it, so TROS is no longer the final word on Rey, Finn, Poe, etc. Which, who knows, might happen someday.

As underwhelmed as I was by TROS, my feeling is less "it sucks that everything led up to this movie" and more like, TROS' underwhelming-ness makes me appreciate TFA and TLJ even more.

Ah, I see your point. I agree, we're basically where we were in 2005 where this is basically the last major Star Wars Skywalker movie we're going to get for awhile and they're saying it's the last one so it sucks we left on such a sour note not knowing if we'll get more (which if we live long enough we definitely will). ROTS is looked upon more fondly because it wasn't the last one, but it was much more hated when we thought it was.

As for me, I've already loved TFA and TLJ so TROS really soured those movies knowing there's no real pay offs to the arcs set up in those films.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
TROS really pisses me off in that I was really interested in seeing where things would go after TLJ (flaws aside) and Disney said "NOPE TOO INTERESTING, WE HAVE TO DO DAMAGE CONTROL". TLJ had a lot of problems but I left that movie excited to see what's next, and the movie that followed basically said "yeah that was the wrong thing to do".

Stuff outside of the main movies is promising but worriesome. The Mandalorian is pretty good but part of why I like it is because it's a story largely disconnected from Jedi and the Force. I mean, it's there, but not nearly as much as the movies. Meanwhile Season 2 is gonna have Ashoka. I can see the cracks already, I think the Mandalorian is gonna lose itself. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Disney can resist adding things that don't need to be there to a good thing.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mando is not what I'd call a Sequel Trilogy show, it's clearly set during the time before the Sequel Trilogy reset to status quo took place, so it has a very Rebels like "OT+Prequel" vibe.

Yeah, I would say the ST era doesn't start until about 6 years prior to TFA - during Bloodline - as a result of the First Order emerging onto the scene. 5 ABY - 28 ABY is essentially an open period that you could just think of as the New Republic Era.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I am really happy with the expanded stuff, like the new Star Wars relaunch comic has been really good so far, especially compared to the old one, and Aphra was a treasure. Lot of great comics in general and I love both The Clone Wars and Rebels. Jedi: Fallen Order was the most fun I've had in Star Wars in a long time. The Rise of Skywalker was... unfortunate. But ironically enough, outside of that, I feel like there has been a lot more good than bad.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I feel like sequels to Fallen Order, Rebels and perhaps Mando as well will allow them to do cool stuff that's contemporaneous with but unrelated to the palpatine warz. I'm hoping one of those leads to focusing entirely on alternative force users, expanding even more on some of the stuff we have seen in FO and Clone Wars with the Dathomirian witches etc.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about that is that RotS, while a worse movie, doesn't override the finality of the original trilogy. So while it's disappointing, it isn't the be all end all movie that has every plot line culminate in it, and it still left us with a future to look forward to. TROS, on the other hand? Well, that's it. Anakin's sacrifice meant jack shit in the end, and so did his and Luke's journeys.
Anakin's sacrifice was about saving his son and redeeming his soul. That's not rendered jack shit because there were more star wars and Luke didn't live forever.

And right, ROTS being a prequel meant it wouldn't override the finality of the OT, but that finality was always going to end as soon as they announced an episode VII and an Ewok victory party in the jungle was no longer the last note on Star Wars.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine.

the expanded universe (cartoons, comics, etc) are the best part of the franchise.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anakin's sacrifice was about saving his son and redeeming his soul. That's not rendered jack shit because there were more star wars and Luke didn't live forever.

And right, ROTS being a prequel meant it wouldn't override the finality of the OT, but that finality was always going to end as soon as they announced an episode VII and an Ewok victory party in the jungle was no longer the last note on Star Wars.
Right. The hope was that the continuation and conclusion wouldn't suck, which unfortunately didn't pan out.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Some of the new SW media is entertaining. For novels though, I've checked out in that territory, I mean I'm sure authors are putting hard work into writing stuff to 'piece' together Disneys' story, but from the stuff I've perused it seems kinda lame. Like if I have choice between re-reading Wedge Antilles and Friends Adventures versus new reading Cocky Poe Dameron and Friends, definitely I choose re-read.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently finished both Clone Wars and Rebels which I both liked. I think for me the brand just needs to split from the current Skywalker era. Hopefully the High Republic is interesting enough.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Though I really don't like where the sequel trilogy went, there's still so much other good stuff that I feel largely positive on the current canon. As someone that grew up and got in to Star Wars long after the OT but before the PT, the franchise in general has always been way more to me than the movies and stuff like The Clone Wars, later seasons of Rebels, and The Mandolorian have me just as invested as ever. I really enjoyed Rogue One and thought Solo was pretty entertaining so even some of the movies still have me. Pretty hyped to see what they do with the High Republic stuff.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Non-movie canon is in a really great place imo, lots of cool stories and characters popping up. The movies were a slight disappointment but overall I found them to be enjoyable popcorn flicks and I'm happy to be done with the Skywalker saga and excited for the directions it'll let the rest of the canon go.

Nov 8, 2017

"Star Wars" would not be final, but that chapter of history could have been, if they chose it to be. It was not inevitable that the existence of sequels would roll back as many things as it did. It was a series of choices that JJ (and to a lesser extent Rian) made. The Empire never had to return and the Emperor definitely didn't ever have to return.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
I've said this before but I dislike a lot of the comics when you look at them as coexisting with the movies. Like okay between each movie of the Original trilogy Luke and the gang met Vader again and escaped or whatever. Speaking of Vader we know where his grandson's fits come from because he's personally killed everybody who has ever tried to show him any kindness in a fit of punished edgelord rage. This is the guy who still has goodness in him for sure. Don't even get me started on niceguy Ben Solo having everything unfortunate in his life thrust upon him. Let's ignore two movies of him being a petulant little shit and making the worst choice damn near every chance he could. So yeah comics don't sit right with me :P

Oct 27, 2017

Whenever I feel this way I watch the OT again...or if pressed for time, just the final 45 minutes of ROTJ. While ROTJ may be the weakest of the OT, it is still better than almost all the other movies (I think TLJ surpassed it, but I know not all agree), and it has what I believe to be the single greatest scenes in the nine films (the Throne Room scenes/climax).

This, to me, is the proper conclusion for Anakin, Luke, and the Emperor (for that story). It's just amazing when the music kicks in and Luke attacks:

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of like that we are back to not really knowing what is coming up.

We have bits and pieces of future projects but it feels like how it did before Force Awakens came out.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017

A Sequel Trilogy show would make use of the ST's aesthetic, that means FO Troopers, Resistance, Black Tie Fighters, Blue X-Wings, Jakku the dessert planet, Takodana the forest planet,bigger Star Destroyers, Y-Wings that look stripped down because the manufacturers appeal to in-universe nostalgia, Snoke being in charge while Palpatine is also in charge somehow...and, and...Man that setting sucks so much...
I didn't mean to to say Mando was a sequel era show, just that it's post ROTJ.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
"Star Wars" would not be final, but that chapter of history could have been, if they chose it to be. It was not inevitable that the existence of sequels would roll back as many things as it did. It was a series of choices that JJ (and to a lesser extent Rian) made. The Empire never had to return and the Emperor definitely didn't ever have to return.
I agree that Palpatine didn't need to return. It was nice to see McDiarmid again but it was a massively bad story choice that single-handedly broke the whole movie around it. You can trace every issue with TROS back to the decision to work Palpatine into the plot and build everything around that.

That aside, though -- while I get why people would think the Empire returning renders the victories of the OT moot and would be bothered by that, it just never felt that way to me. Maybe this is a consequence of having grown up reading a lot of the old EU stuff, which included several more years of fighting the Empire (including Palpatine coming back to life!) and a lot of further pain and loss for the OT characters: Luke married but his wife died, Han and Leia had three kids and two of them died, Chewie was crushed to death by a moon, and so on. So the idea that the OT cast and their successors would keep fighting a lot of similar battles against similar foes did not feel out of place for me. If anything, the ST era feels way more easygoing compared to what happened in the old EU, lol. I ended up giving up on that just because of how overly bleak it got.

And I think of real history, how WWI led to WWII not long after, and one generation of fascists led to another (and neo-Nazis after that), but that didn't make the victory in either war pointless. Evil recurs in familiar forms over generations, and that's been true in Star Wars for years before the ST came along. Making it all literally Palpatine's doing again feels a bridge too far on that point, but at least as far as TFA and TLJ were concerned, I was fine with the concept of Snoke and the First Order and this new generation of space Nazis who idolized their predecessors. Given when TFA came out, and what would follow in real life shortly thereafter, it feels almost prescient...in a way that I'm sure JJ did not intend lol

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom

Yikes!

For all the silliness in the prequel trilogy it had a distinct voice and a planned timeline from which you get these awesome cartoon spin offs.

The sequel trilogy is a chaotic mess from which nothing good can ever come. No new character is fleshed out enough to be really likable. I think future of Star Wars lies in ignoring these films and characters while being creative around it for spins offs etc.