• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Was looking at an 8. They are currently in sale, and I have some uber old one that would fetch $10+20% off.

Would mostly be for browsing and watching YouTube or Twitch. We have a couple of kids units and they have been great for their needs.

I believe they often are refreshed in May /June, so maybe wait. But I am not sure of their sales cycle, but I feel like it's often.

There is the 8+, but the price difference for 1gb more of ram is steep. They also include wireless charging vs a normal cable, but maybe next refresh that could be standard.

Opinions?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As long as you aren't expecting the world they are great for just general fucking around on the internet. Especially for the price, you don't feel like you have to handle it with white gloves

Oct 26, 2017
If you can get the 8 Plus.

I have the standard 8 model and it's fine. Would love the extra ram of Plus but they don't sell it in Canada for some reason.

They're solid lil tablets for comics, books, etc. You can also fairly easily turn off all the extra useless Amazon apps/features with simple toolkit. No rooting required.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it has changed but a couple years back getting YouTube on them was a pain.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got an 8 Plus about half a year ago on sale as a dork-around tablet. Besides the usual complaints about the Amazon App Store being well behind Play (and you can add the Play content, but things felt noticeably laggier to me for some reason once I did), the tablet has a 1280 x 800 screen resolution, and YouTube and other video was a bit blurry (like it was slightly stretched), and it was just generally unpleasant to look at for long periods, like slight eye-strain. I gave up and returned it.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a pair of HD10s for my wife and I, pretty fantastic for the price if you catch it on sale, decently fast, can play some games if you want(was great for Dragalia Lost forced widescreen), and is a great media consumption device. Battery life is fantastic when watching video and the USB-C lets it charge quick.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I have an older one that I keep stuck to the cubicle wall next to my monitor at work. The only thing its used for is Youtube / spotify and for just that works fine. Not sure why but even though I dont have the Youtube premium thing ads never play when I use youtube on my Fire.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the way scrolling and using touch on the older Amazon tablets felt.

It felt kind of shitty and cheap.

They might have improved it with newer versions.

Like others said it is good for viewing videos but I wouldn't use it for much else. We got them for the kids to play some games and watch some videos on and they were good for that purpose because they were really cheap.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Got one for Christmas and I quite like it. Great for reading or Twitter. You can add the Google Play Store and apps from it quite easily as well.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are a good Amazon Prime Video vessel. That's about it for me.

Oh, they are good to give to kids and not have to worry about them breaking it since Amazon practically gives them away.