• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thirsting for a good 3D platformer. I haven't played one in years. I don't remember reading much about this game when it came out. Why? Is it not as good as people were expecting? No word of mouth? Not in people's top 10 lists?

I also looked up the release date and saw that Super Mario Odyssey came out in the same month? So that kinda... paints a picture if you know what I mean.

Anyways... I might get this on PC but what are yalls opinion on this game years later?

Edit: the main character girl looks cute oh my gosh 😳

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
It's a very good platformer, but the game ended up getting buried under politics due to the fact that they didn't drop JonTron as a guest voice actor while Yooka-Laylee did. Hat is a better game than Yooka mind you, though.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I just completed it last week. Whereas SM:O was a massive letdown imo, A Hat in Time completely blew my expectations away. I haven't enjoyed a game like that in a long time.

It was everything I wanted out of a 3d platformer, gave me real sixth generation console vibes in the best way possible. Felt like Super Mario Sunshine had a child with a Dreamcast.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on all that DLC coming to the PS4 version, or any of the console ports?

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
I want to try too. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Can I assume there's no issues with the PS4 port?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really fun game, but definitely got overshadowed by Mario Odyssey (and rightfully so, let's be honest). It still did well though and is continuing to be supported, so that's good. However...

Well there's a racist voicing an npc in it, so there's that.
People here are never going to not bring this^ up whenever the game is talked about.
It's a very good platformer, but the game ended up getting buried under politics due to the fact that they didn't drop JonTron as a guest voice actor while Yooka-Laylee did. Hat is a better game than Yooka mind you, though.
I would wager this barely affected it at all. The game itself is pretty good, especially for an indie 3D platformer. And they're still making it better imo.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard great things about it, but man, does the unfinished looking lighting really hurt its appeal. For a game like this, how it looks is super important to me. :/

Masaru

Oct 28, 2017
I love it. I'm not too big on 3D platformers but I enjoyed it a lot.

I want to try too. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Can I assume there's no issues with the PS4 port?

Last I heard they still haven't included the Seal the Deal DLC for the console versions so I skipped it and went to the PC version instead.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YouTuber "JonTron" voices an NPC who has two lines (I believe it was a backer reward). If you can get over this small fact that doesn't actually affect the game in any way, it's a really good indie platformer.

Personally, I didn't even know who JonTron was before people started complaining about it in threads about this game. And the irony is that continuing to complain about it every time the game comes up as a topic continues to promote and signal boost him as an individual (which I think is probably the opposite of what people complaining about him want). If no one mentioned it, no one would even notice. Even if you're aware of it, if you're not aware of who the guy is and which NPC he has two lines for, you'll still miss it.

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
It is a very fun, genuine and varied 3D platformer that I enjoyed except for the last world, which was an enormous disappointment. Overall I still recommend it, it will scratch that 3D itch for sure.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post patch? I've not ever heard anything good about Yooka, and most people I saw when both games were out seemed to put Hat better by a mile. I've not played either btw.
I've played both. YL does feel more polished, but it also lacks a lot of the charm and world creativity that AHIT has. I was pretty impressed with several of the boss fights too. Despite the jank, overall I would say AHIT is the better game. Mario Odyssey blows them both out of the water though imo, and I think both games failed kinda hard by not beating it to market further in advance.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really anything to do with the quality of the game though, is it.
It does speak to the character of the developer and something worth considering when choosing to support them or not.
Jontron voiced an NPC in both Yooka Laylee and Hat in Time.

He's revealed to be a eugenics supporting, text book racist on a debate with Destiny.

Playtonic does the right thing and drops racist from their game. Gears for Breakfast does not.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
It's a good game with unique characters and a lot of heart. It's nothing groundbreaking and at times I did feel it was taking design elements from previous generations that weren't the best, but it's not like there are that many 3D platformers out there.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Amazing game. It's rough around the edges, but it is bursting with creativity. A lot of the levels have very unique themes to them. The characters are all so lovable.

I'm not the biggest fan of the people doing PR for the company though. I bought the game on PS4 and since then have been hoping to hear news of DLC dropping for the console. The community managers have been going back and forth being like "eh maybe" to complete to total silence. At one point there was a definitive "no" but then it shifted back to "maybe." Like horrible communication. I'm not begging for you to release it right away but get better communication.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Post patch? I've not ever heard anything good about Yooka, and most people I saw when both games were out seemed to put Hat better by a mile. I've not played either btw.

The YL patch fixed a ton of issues that dragged it down on release... it was 6/10 on release, patch made it 8/10. But because some guy that a lot of people have a boner for (can't remember his name) gave it 2/10 in his review on release, everyone had their minds made up without even giving Playtonic a chance. Massive shame, as they put the effort in to make it into an excellent 3D platformer.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The YL patch fixed a ton of issues that dragged it down on release... it was 6/10 on release, patch made it 8/10. But because some guy that a lot of people have a boner for (can't remember his name) gave it 2/10 in his review on release, everyone had their minds made up without even giving Playtonic a chance. Massive shame, as they put the effort in to make it into an excellent 3D platformer.

That's a shame. I had determined to play it myself to see how I felt, but never got around to it. I heard the game is far more enjoyable at 60 fps, but I own it on PS4. Haven't decided whether to grab it for PC, when I have already purchased the game for $30, or to just try it on PS4.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Jim Sterling

Antoo

May 1, 2019
It does speak to the character of the developer and something worth considering when choosing to support them or not.

Jontron voiced an NPC in both Yooka Laylee and Hat in Time.

He's revealed to be a eugenics supporting, text book racist on a debate with Destiny.

Playtonic does the right thing and drops racist from their game. Gears for Breakfast does not.
It's undoubtedly a stain on the game and I certainly respect anyone who is against buying it solely because someone attached to it is a POS. I would recommend Hat in Time if you are a person that can separate art from the artist though. To me, it is WAY BETTER than Yooka, which felt bland.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the little I've heard about it it's been mostly praise

I've deliberately kept myself in the dark about it so I could experience it fresh in case it ever releases on another platform such as Switch (my junk PC is too garbage to run it). I honestly really wanna play it!

Steam has a 50% discount right now too, it's pretty appealing.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I think you should have gone for more question marks, that would have probably attracted more people to share their opinions 🤔

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the JonTron stuff which is already pretty bad, the creator himself is kind of a piece of shit. Does a lot of stuff like ripping off artists and wielding DMCA takedowns like a club, and fraudulently to boot.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I remember my first introduction to this game was when it was still a steam green light game; me and a friend found the creator's negative sonic generations review which pissed us off and when we saw he was an indie dev we originally wanted to shit all over his game until we saw it and were actually really impressed with what was shown, to which point both of our smelly angsty teenage fanboy selves were like "DaMn iT ITs GOOD!!"

Fast forward like six or seven years to when the game actually launched and I'm still impressed with it. It suffers a lot of the same problems that collectathon games in general have but it was still a really fun experience and I'm definitely picking it up again on switch whenever it comes out.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I loved it, it's one of the better 3D platformers that I've played. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the PC version is currently the only version getting updates, although that might change in the future since the DLC is apparently coming to Switch, and hopefully other consoles after that. I don't like how they're handling that, if you commit to a multiplatform release, don't prioritize some platforms over the others. But the base game already has enough content, so I would recommend it regardless.

By the way, since you're thinking about playing it on PC, I would also recommend Super Lucky's Tale. It's not quite as good as A Hat in Time overall, but it's still a very enjoyable platformer, much better than what some of its review scores might have you believe.

Last edited:

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
I loved it, though when I came back to it at the launch of the free DLC, when I dived into the DLC I fell off almost immediately and never got around to finishing it. Perhaps I had gotten rusty and should have played earlier levels to familiarise myself with the movement but when I look back at my first playthrough, the variety of the mission structure and the humour really resonated with me. I remember placing it highly in my fav games of 2017.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see the game is of quality. I think I will get it.
Thanks guys.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Really good game, way better than I expected and I was already looking forward to it.

Quite creative at times and the gameplay is spot on, although I still feel it needs the Mario somersault jump when changing directions.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty good platformer and has a lot of charm but it's lacking in polish. You're pretty much guaranteed to run into some jank or glitches while playing through, but it's nothing game-ruining.

I'd recommend it if you have any interest in platformers.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter an I have been playing through the game, and coop is both fun and frustrating. It's pretty glitchy, and a couple times we were "stuck" because the split screen view made it impossible to see the doors we needed to go into. One of them I went on youtube and watched a walk through of the level, and they went through a door we didn't know existed because it was impossible to see with the default fixed split screen camera in the train level. So keep that in mind if you intend to play coop screen. My daughter and I are having a blast playing through the game regardless.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I need to get back to it at some point, but from the couple of levels I played, I found it very charming.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
A friend and I sat down together and beat it in a night, both taking turns when the other died and stuff. Honestly it was a lot of fun. The platforming totally clicked for me and I just got in the rhythm of it. The controversy stuff is easily overlooked because it really is like a four second cameo but I guess if it ruins it for some people that's fine. I wanted to play the Seal the Deal DLC but apparently it isn't coming to PS4 and Xbox One but it will be in the Switch version when that launches which is very odd.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
A fantastic platformer, I'd put it in my all time top 10 for the genre to be honest - charming, funny, great physics, superb soundtrack. A new expansion is out in a few days that adds the Nyakuza area and 50 player online co-op. You don't see much discussion about the game here because someone always starts getting very hostile and attacking others regarding the JonTron situation.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Yes it does, lol. Just like how Persona's homophobia brings the overall quality down.

I don't think that's really an apt comparison, as P5's homophobia is an active element of the game itself (the story) and goes against the themes of the game itself regardless of any outside controversy. JT's involvement is brief, inconsequential (since it isn't a story-based game) and is only a negative if you know/care about JT's idiocy.

To answer your question OP, I never beat it myself (actually just reinstalled it yesterday), but a buddy of mine played through it on PS4 and he really enjoyed it. Based on that and the general consensus from what I've seen, unless the JonTron thing really bugs you, it's a really easy game to recommend if you're in the market for Collectathons.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Well there's a racist voicing an npc in it, so there's that.

I do wonder, how many things do you buy with people who have horrible opinions that you simply don't know about?

Ultimately most AAA games have credits in the 100s. So every game is likely to have many people with horrible opinions. Same with movies. Your car. Your phone. The food you eat. Basically everything you interact with on a daily basis is likely to have been, in some way, worked on by someone with a horrible opinion. And by using them you are supporting those people.

Personally I don't get this boycotting of things because someone who worked on it has a horrible opinion. Because if you really adhere to that principle you wouldn't be buying anything, even food.

Status
Not open for further replies.