• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Worst Zone music in 16-bit Sonic games? Hmm... probably Emerald Hill or Carnival Night. Not an easy one!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Nothing really stands out to me. I am actually a bit shocked that no song comes to mind as something I would prefer not be there even after replaying each of these games dozens of times.

I guess maybe Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2? Yeah, it is not in the game properly and we never heard it in a proper context but it just does not feel like it would have worked well to me. The song itself is too short and boring, feels like music better suited to Columns.

Does anyone like Carnival Zone's music?

It is one of my favorites! I love the weirdly dark/warped vibe it gives. Fits well with a flooded and curvy carnival.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
wow i dont remember wing fortress but that really is bad lol. I don't mind carnival but it definitely gets points docked for frustration as a kid. fuck that fucking barrel lmao

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I love Marble Garden. It sounds haunted, but still exciting. It gives the impression of a ruins-themed amusement park. Only problem is the time limit, otherwise I would love to get lost in these big levels, knowing I will still make progress no matter what route I use.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Carnival Night for me. Funny thing is I think the tracks that are linked to Michael Jackson in Sonic 3 to be among the worst in the series.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It's Marble Garden for me, both acts but especially Act 1. Incredibly dull song paired with an absolute slog of a level.

Runners-up include Wing Fortress (definitely agree with you there OP), Aquatic Ruin, Sky Chase, and Lava Reef Act 2/Hidden Palace.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
It's GOTTA be Death Egg from S2, with Scrap Brain from S1 as a runner-up. So musically unappealing.
Also, surprised to see so many people hating on Hill Top Zone. Gives me Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke" vibes.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yo, OP, people don't like Hilltop Zone??? That's like. My favorite.

In terms of worst, off the top of my head, maybe... Chemical Plant? But that's probably just bc of the anxiety that level gave me as a kid.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Who the hell doesn't like Sonic 2's Mystic Caves Multi-player theme? That shit slaps hard.

Anyway for the 4 games:

Sonic 1: Spring Yard Zone.
Sonic 2: Hilltop Zone but sometimes Metropolis zone starts to grate on me too.
Sonic 3: Most of its good. Probably Hidden Base...not sure.
Sonic & Knuckles: Sandopolis.

May 13, 2018
Marble Garden
Death Egg (both)
Mushroom Hill
Metropolis (the level makes me hate it)
All of Sonic 2s MP music
Wing Fortress
Hilltop zone

I think that's it

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Quite the hot take saying that a blatant rip-off of Vangelis in Blade Runner is "the worst" song in Sonic! My god this forum sometimes!

Lol, I guess I should have just stuck with overall worst instead of per game. Lot of ruffled feathers about Scrap Brain. I mean it's not a bad song, there aren't really any bad zone songs in Sonic 1, but I stand by what I said, it is my least favorite of them.