• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I think that some of the cover and quick changes for mines / non-guns are more finicky than they could be and the overall lack of ammo / weapon variety (per character) stands out in stark contrast to the first game, but yeah it plays great. Stealth is a little OP and it's easier overall and you can't turn echolocation off to my knowledge like you can in the first.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Yep, it pretty great to play. Probably my favorite tps this gen. I'm currently playing the game on survival+ and I'm having a pretty good time.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not Gears 5 and its super-tight refinement of classic Gears gameplay?

Not Splatoon 2 and its super-responsive gyro aiming and snappy kid-to-squid movement?

Not Control with its unique abilities assigned to different buttons on a controller, giving every action a distinct input and output?

Not Sunset Overdrive and its kinetic rail grinding and combat?

Not Resident Evil 2 and its weighty movement that makes navigating around zombies feel both natural and dangerous?
I mean, the thread title was that it was one of the best. Those are also some of the best. I don't see a problem here?

(Wouldn't include Gears in the conversation, personally. I think The Coalition did a great job of working within the constraints a game beholden to a wall-bouncing shotgun toting multiplayer audience that they don't want to upset. However its take on TPS gameplay isn't so much classic as it is tired and I wish the series had left it behind the moment it was handed over to new stewards.)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You have an accesability option to activate bullet time in TLOU 2.. is hella fun.
I saw, really looking forward to messing with it when I do my NG+ easy action focused playthrough.

Max Payne 3 fails to make guns feel powerful with the sound design though, TLOU 2 is way ahead on making them sound satisfying.
That's fair, though I'd cut it some slack as it's a last gen game vs probably like top 5 best sounding games ever. RDR2 I thought really nailed the sound and also had really good impact, but just controlled way worse than either. Got me so exited at first as I thought they'd finally nail MP3's gunplay in their open world games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This gen maybe. But for me Max Payne 3 is still best balance of animation priority and responsiveness. Add to that full aim control from any body position.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's significantly better than the first one and really good, but dog MGSV was masterclass gameplay.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 feels great when I'm just running around, jumping over and on things. And then the combat starts.

There might be a few cool things you can do but overwhelmingly that isn't what you will be doing. By comparison, Destiny always feels great. So does MP3 and MGSV and Titanfall 2. The new Doom games as well.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, couldn't agree more, rivals gears 5 and mgsv's incredibly tight controls, maybe even better for me, but it's been months since I've played both to truly compare.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's mostly functional with some good sound design, and that's about the most interesting thing worth saying about it.

No, it's not the best. Not even close.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yup. I did not like the combat in ND's other games, but it was shockingly great in TLOU2. Helped that I could turn weapon sway off before I'd even started.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
30 hrs to beat the game. And I never once got tired of the gameplay. It's simply amazing

This. The game is a joy to play and the gameplay loop of loot gorgeously modeled area, fight dudes/infected, repeat is endlessly playable. I wish ND had multiple studios where the other could just lift the gameplay and drop it into something a little more replayable.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think about controls in terms GOATs or whatever, but I will say I played thirty hours of it and I always felt like the characters were doing what I wanted them to and the controls never got in the way. All the running, crouching, going prone, leaping, going into cover, changing weapons, etc.. felt really reliable and responsive, not to mention visceral. Except maybe for a couple times where I felt like I made a jump and it didn't give it to me or sent me slightly in a direction I didn't feel like I was pushing, but that was pretty minor and rare.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's a good controlling game... of the specific type of TPS it's trying to be.

Also, hasn't there been more than one thread about how well someone thinks this game controls already?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, the controls and gunplay are fantastic, controls as well as MGSV with gunplay more satisfying than Max Payne 3. If it's 60fps on PS5, it'll be right up there at the top with Vanquish.

The encounter design is top tier stuff as well.
Not Control with its unique abilities assigned to different buttons on a controller, giving every action a distinct input and output?
InFamous did everything Control did(in terms of gameplay) better a decade ago. Also, pretty much every game ever made has different actions mapped to different buttons on the controller, giving each a distinct input......what

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Up there with MGSV. The tension it creates puts it at a higher level in terms of the whole package but if we're just talking controls MGSV still edges it out because of the 60fps.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
I've played alot of great multiplatform TPS on PC at 60+ FPS this gen, but TLoUII Is my fav.

Of all time?
Vanquish.
By a gulf.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it's pretty good but I wouldn't place it substantially higher than any other game really.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Always hear such radically different opinions about ND games and spoken so objectively. I've always felt nuts thinking Last of Us is a satisfying fun game to play and Part 2 takes it up a notch and is much more fluid and enjoyable.

And whats with the opinions of "it plays like garbage" never have examples of compared to what? There are these magical hidden illusive games out there that control flawlessly and look incredible during it.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's one of the best controlling third-person games. I wish Naughty Dog add some challenge mode (like Mercenaries or Instant action from F.E.A.R.), with modified maps from main game and changed enemy placements. Combat is best aspect of Part II.

Oct 31, 2017
My only complaint is the aim assist feels weird, I turned it all the way off and it felt better. The gameplay is incredible. I'm a broken record but I can't wait for the multiplayer.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I can't tell if this is a serious post or not

But yeah the game is pretty good. Not the best shooter (fps or tps) I've played, nor the best stealth game or stealth/shooter game but probably at least top 20 this gen in my opinion.

That's fine.. but outside of MGS V I can't thing of another game so ambitious and well executed as a TPS/Stealth game.

Is just on another level for me.. anyways I'm a little intrigued about your personal list.. I can't even think of 2 possible games with better mechanics and animations than TLOU 2 but it would be fun to know your choices.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Always hear such radically different opinions about ND games and spoken so objectively. I've always felt nuts thinking Last of Us is a satisfying fun game to play and Part 2 takes it up a notch and is much more fluid and enjoyable.

And whats with the opinions of "it plays like garbage" never have examples of compared to what? There are these magical hidden illusive games out there that control flawlessly and look incredible during it.
I see some people push the idea that it was universally agreed the original game was just mediocre to play with a good story. I really don't think that's the case. Loads of people liked the game for how it played, a lot of them so much so that they stuck around for its multiplayer. Others don't feel that way and that's fine, but it's not some universal truth. I know I wouldn't love the original game as much as I do if I felt it was just mediocre to play, one of the things I liked about it (and still like today) is how it plays and Part II expands and refines it brilliantly.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It feels really fucking good. The character you control feels weighty without being a drag like Arthur. Also everything sounds so good, the feedback is amazing, the AI is a big improvement, the combat music is intense as fuck. All that make it an amazing experience.

And holy shit melee in this game! I'd say overall I like MGSV gameplay more but MGSV has shit on that melee combat.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019

Exactly.. I'm still waiting for a list of this hidden gems I never played.

The graphics + animation work + responsive controls +sound quality + real tension on TLOU 2 in my opinion are the best I've experienced on any TPS.

MGSV is a fantastic mechanical TPS but the animations and sound desing are on a lower level compared to TLOU 2. Also the AI is next level on TLOU 2.. nothing else can't come even close to what they achieved and that's why every encounter is a thrill to play on high difficulties.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017

Not Splatoon 2 and its super-responsive gyro aiming and snappy kid-to-squid movement?

Not Resident Evil 2 and its weighty movement that makes navigating around zombies feel both natural and dangerous?
This

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Makes all of the clowns who claimed RDR2 needed to be clunky and laggy to feel realistic look pretty dumb. Turns out you can prioritise great animations and slow, lifelike movement whilst making a game fun. Crazy right.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
I feel MGSV controls better but TLOU2 is pretty good too. Very big upgrade over the first game

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

This is such an embarassing post as the OP does not exclude those games at all.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
On lower difficulties it seems kinda redundant, but I had fun on hardest with the systems it provided. Some clutch scenarios thanks to both the dodge mechanic and quick headshots right before dying. The contextual animations are easily the most impressive ive seen in a videogame without taking control away from you for more than half a second.

You realize OP said "one of", not "the only"...
Single word responses on this board are always so fucking lazy

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
The ultimate test for shooters is how it performs in multiplayer, PvP.

Lots of shooters feel good in campaigns but don't it against human players, Max Payne 3 was like this.

This is where Gears always rules and is not bettered.