• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
So i need to explain about this.
I'm in France, and in France many youtube guys and womens are doing sponsors for some games.
But not mobile game no.

I'm talking about big channels or big websites that have many views.
I'm talking about Le Stream or Jeuxvideo.com (in a less way) , Julien Chieze, IGN France, and others.
And i have the bad feeling it's the same for some US websites or others websites in some countries.

I'm talking about the many many, every day, news about Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, and i assume, The last of us 2.
So before , some disclaimer
I played TW3, i love it.
I played TLOU and i can"'t wait for TLOU2.
I don't like Kojima (sorry guys, he's kinda like Xavier Dolan of videogames "whatever i do it's art so you better like what i do to be socially cool in some parties". But i love MGS games.

But here where my thought came out:
Monday i watched a streaming girl on twitch , very awesome and cool and she started to play Greedfall, saying it's an Western rpg like The witcher 3. I saw the game and it was awesome. And then i thought "how the hell i didn't knew about this game?".
Same for Control from Remedy.
The answer? Same games every day on media and you can count. And it's VERY frustrating.

Please careful this is not a pro-nintendo topic.
God of war came out and pleased everyone and the media spoke less about it than the spiderman game. And it was the goty!
Spiderman is in the same way, many medias talked about it but less than those i said above.
Because some of those games don't even have a release date OR won't come until spring 2020 (if not delay...)
Someone said to me "you are whinning because we are not talking about fire emblem or considering it GOTY".

Well, yes and no.
Of course i'm still thinking that there is an hidden rule saying "Fire emblem will never be nominee goty. Not winning, just nominee". Why? I don"t know. Same for Ace Attorney or many many many others games. We can create a GOTY category at the VGA , we all know it's going to be naughty dog/Rockstar Ballot.
And this has two negatives effects
-first , mass people aren't considering SO MANY GAMES that are awesome.
-Second: media are focusing only on a few games, with news every day MONTHS BEFORE RELEASE. "You can have tattoos with your avatar on Cyberpunk! Let's do a news front page about it AND talk about this news on many streams during 30 minutes."
But it can have a bad effect.

In 2018 we hav EVERY DAY a news about this game
anthem-dylan.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.1200w.jpg

we all know how it ends....And seriously as good as CDProjekt are, iit s possible that the game bomb. I saw a tweet about an insider saying CD Projekt is more stressful mode since ubisoft unveiled a game that will release one month ago and that is a dystopian cyberpunk stuff too, and that can create a surprise:

watch-dogs-legion-artwork-5cff1f66a5a09.jpg

I can't wait for CD Priojekt next game . But seriously after Gamescom i'm worried and i'm staring to believe this game, above, on the long run, will win more heart of gamers than CP2077.

On the contrary, some games are surprisingly good (fire emblem) or you can already see it can be a surprise (the next call of duty modern warfare coming out in two months?).
And i didn't talked about so many indies games. The devloppers of Until Dawn released a new games one week ago, i didn't knew about it until TODAY.

So maybe i'm just like grampa simpsons shouting at the clouds.
I understand that some games are very anticipated. I agree. But news every day? About games we don't know stuff (DS) or that are coming in 9 MONTHS or MORE?

So what do you think about this?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah I can completely agree. Same shit happens in the mainstream media. they choose one topic and focus fuck the hell out of it and ignore anything else. It makes me hate the games with how much i hear about them.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Big AAA publishers will always be the focus of gaming news website, this is kinda why I stopped visiting them several year back (and AAA MTX practice soured me greatly)
I understand your complain fully, this is why I'm watching small channels who play a variety of games, I gotta find the infos myself about those indies/mid-budgets since gaming focused website barely won't.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same scenario as MTV not playing music videos anymore. The majority of their audiences spoke and they listened.

If you're interested in other titles, find smaller sites and personalities that cover them.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are probably just not really as connected into things or looking at as many things that you say you are.

Like I go to IGN today and I see nothing on those three games today.

Like Man of Medan was selling pretty well on Steam at least, and it topped the EMEA chart. It's also y'know, a 3 hour game with mixed reception, so of course it's not gonna get a fraction of big AAA focus.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a notable information drop for TLOU2 in over a year, not really fair to lump it in there with Cyberpunk and Death Stranding.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hi and welcome to PR campaigns, release schedules and news cycles! Enjoy your stay in first world media consumerism!

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You have to write about games that people are interested in otherwise your site simply won't survive. With regards to Push Square, our PlayStation focus means that we have the ability to delve into some of the more niche stuff (like PSVR, for example) in a way that the multiformat sites don't/can't.

But the reality is that Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last of Us: Part II put up big numbers for us; Control, for example, does not. This is just how it is, unfortunately.

OP
OP

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Cyberpunk2077 will absolutely destroy Watch Dogs Legion in both sales and reception, dont worry lol

this is exactly what fritghtened me, and i'm not a ubifan.

'THIS GAME IS GONNA CRUSH YOURS WAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAZHAHA"
*music from dracula*

it's like saying "your game is gonna be shit! Cyberpunk? We are talking about it many days since many MONTHS! HOW CAN IT GO WRONG?"

well, Anthem, mass effect 3 , no man's sky 1.0...

On the contrary, Watch dogs 2? Wasn't talked enough, is very well received.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
this is exactly what fritghtened me, and i'm not a ubifag.

*music from dracula*

it's like saying "your game is gonna be shit! Cyberpunk? We are talking about it many days since many MONTHS! HOW CAN IT GO WRONG?"

Dont use the word "fag" please...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
this is exactly what fritghtened me, and i'm not a ubifag.

*music from dracula*

ubifag?

OP
OP

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
You have to write about games that people are interested in otherwise your site simply won't survive. With regards to Push Square, our PlayStation focus means that we have the ability to delve into some of the more niche stuff (like PSVR, for example) in a way that the multiformat sites don't/can't.

But the reality is that Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last of Us: Part II put up big numbers for us; Control, for example, does not. This is just how it is, unfortunately.

But that's not good. Control have awesome ideas, Greedfall too. Maybe many will buy a game that will not be as good as we thought, and that''s fair because sometimes even big studios can do mistakes.
But now it's like we already know who will win the VGA on 2020, in 2021 etc...
Ballot between Rockstar/Naughty dog :/

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
To be honest, this partially sounds like a problem that is more on your side, or with the selection of media outlets you use.

There has been a lot of coverage with Fire Emblem whenever there was news (notably, Nintendo allowed previews very shortly prior to release). There have also been lots of outlets who mentioned that it could be a serious GotY contender.

There has also been a lot of coverage on Control and Man of Medan from various events, so if you have never heard of those games until they were out, I am not sure what to say? Clearly a lot of people have been aware of these gams thanks to gaming media, so it can't be true that they simply don't report on them...

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw your later post and as an Ubi*** I just realized you are not worth talking to after all.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I think you should really look for outlets that cover other type of games. One of the reasons I love Gematsu is that they cover an array of games other sites mostly ignore.

OP
OP

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
IDK about reception ,but sales wise Ubisoft is a juggernaut

No i agree with him. Cyberpunk coverage is sooo strong, that no doubt it will beat watch dogs 3.
BUT if you do a poll in September 2020, i think many will be surprise which between CP and WD3 will be the best game in their opinion.

Oct 26, 2017
IDK about reception ,but sales wise Ubisoft is a juggernaut

Watch Dogs 2 sold way less than Watch Dogs and CDPR is coming from a 20+ million seller The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 metrics are way higher than WD Legion, let alone pre-orders.

Not saying that Legion will bomb, it will sell a lot, but nowhere near Cyberpunk 2077.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Did they actually compare Watch dogs to CP2077 ? Lmao

The "newsfeed" about games is obviously a part of a marketing contract. I remember when Destiny 1 flopped at launch,they were CONSTANTLY talking about the game. I remember like half the budget of D1 had gone to marketing campaigns and promotion contracts with various gaming websites,so it all makes sense if you think about it. Same with Anthem and any other game,that the publishers are paying lots of promotion money. You are gonna hear about it constantly,regardless of whether it's good/bad or sold well or not

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I think you should really look for outlets that cover other type of games. One of the reasons I love Gematsu is that they cover an array of games other sites mostly ignore.

agreed -- I used to follow more sites but some of them don't cater to my tastes--gematsu is great if you want to hear about japanese games :)

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen this bubble. Then again, I actively seek out information and impressions about the games I'm interested in, so I'm not just watching what the most popular tubers are featuring or whatever.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good point OP. so many cool games coming out and the gaming media is obsessed only a few games and their [mostly obnoxious] marketing strategies.