• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TASTokyo

Nov 8, 2017
Others have already suggested it, but the Xbox 5. Just do like Apple did for the iPhone and its numbering.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Count each and say it is the Xbox 5. Or even count the Xbox S and say it is the Xbox 6 if you want to.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
After recently changing from Microsoft game studios to Xbox game studios, it would make a lot of sense dropping Xbox from the name...not

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the XBOX brand name but I think it has significant recognition. It doesn't make sense to change it.

Also, I think changing console names only works if your company name is seen as cool and associated with gaming. Sega Megadrive, Sega Dreamcast, Nintedo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, those style of titles work because the company is strongly associated with the video game space.

But I'd say that's less true with Microsoft. When I thin Microsoft I think Office Suite, or Windows 10. So in that sense, it could be difficult to communicate newly named consoles as having an connection with gaming, they'd have to build their brand recognition up all over again.

They're better off sticking with XBOX, because at this stage the game is well known as a gaming line of products. If they pushed out a new name, it might not be as intuitive for lay consumers.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This question would have made more sense at the start of this gen.

Right now, though? MS has transitioned from having Xbox as a hardware brand to a service brand and it's working. Instead of Windows 10 game pass, it's Xbox Game Pass PC. Microsoft Games Studios is now Xbox Games Studios and they're publishing games on non-MS platforms now. Xbox has become the de-facto label for any gaming-related product MS puts out.

I would argue that, thanks to this transition, the Xbox brand is stronger than its ever been. It would be silly to abandon it.

Oct 27, 2017
Without Xbox, I don't think your average consumer will know what it is. This is why you shouldn't drag your brand through the mud. If they had reacted to the initial response the Xbox One had received, everyone would have moved on and praised them for listening. Instead they doubled down on confusion and silence. Now they are stuck with the damage caused last gen because dropping the brand entirely is just dropping the remainder of their mind share. I'm also not sure how dropping Xbox and naming it something else entirely is helping with their backwards naming structure.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction is Xbox V (pronounced Vee) and they'll tout all the V-words that can go with that (when the actual motivation is to make it appear as Roman numeral 5).

Check please, Microsoft.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xbox is fine but I would like a new color. I am still crossing my fingers that "scarlet" mean a black and red theme.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I can sort of see where you're coming from. As a whole I would say No however. The Xbox Name/Brand is the division and changing the name would be more effort than it's worth.

However, distancing themselves from the Xbox One name would probably be a smart move. So rather than going for the simple name of Xbox Two, I think something that evokes more of that 360era feel would be better suited for the brand.

Xbox 1080noscope420blazeitRonPaul2012 ?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, absolutely not. It would be in insane idea.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
XboxX
you know because it follows the xbox One and XboxX has an additional x and...yeah I dunno.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
It won't lack games next-gen and it won't lack power next-gen, so let's slam MS for some other ridiculous thing. It's brand.

Dec 11, 2017

Just call it Xbox 5. Simple.

Here's how I see it:

Xbox = 2001
Xbox 360 = 2005
(Microsoft was tempted to call Xbox 360, Xbox 3, and come up with a three pillar moniker, because they did not want to call it Xbox 2...as they felt that the general public would feel that it is inferior to the PlayStation 3.)
Xbox One = 2013
Xbox One X = 2017
(The same amount of time went by between the first and second system, as the third system and its significantly more powerful revision.)
Xbox 5 = 2020
(Microsoft can retroactively count the Xbox One X as a console entry as its own or come up with some type of sell, that the Xbox 5 gives you 5 types of interactive experiences and then compete in the numbers game, evenly with PlayStation 5.)

Also, I believe we'll get a Nintendo Switch Plus sometime between September and December, 2020, to have something new out there, just ahead/alongside/right after PlayStation 5 and Xbox 5.

Others have already suggested it, but the Xbox 5. Just do like Apple did for the iPhone and its numbering.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Count each and say it is the Xbox 5. Or even count the Xbox S and say it is the Xbox 6 if you want to.

Just call it Xbox 5.

I like that others agree with Xbox 5. 😁

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not. I could see Microsoft calling it "Xbox Infinite". I'd be ok with Xbox Scarlett but I know they probably won't go with a codename.

"Xbox Two, Xbox Surface, Xbox Pro, Xbox 4k (this one wouldn't be that bad, but God forbid if one game doesn't run in native 4k)" just sound silly

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Betting on Xbox 5 (they'll take credit for the One X). That puts them at parity with Sony's naming.

They did go from Windows 8 to 10.

Edit: I see I was beaten, many times over.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
No, MS doesn't have the luxury to rename there console. The name Xbox was meant to sound cool sounding to the tech crowd and it works prefectly.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
I think hey would be best to go all in on the Xbox brand and drop the so far stupid numbering system they have used. Just call it Xbox and people will figure it out as the current one.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
a console whose marquee launch title is a halo game should be called "xbox". all the work they've done in the latter half of this gen is about reaffirming their commitment to the target audience that was displeased with them, and trying to win them back over.

ditching the name would be a sign they're going in a different direction and a waste of all that slow burn goodwill.

people are ready to feel good about xbox again.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Just be consistent with the naming. Xbox > 360 > ONE was dumb IMO. Like going from Wii > Wii U. Consumer confusion. Just iterate.

Agreed for sure. But where to start now? Xbox 2, Xbox TWO, Super Xbox, Xbox NEXT -- what are the options that really signify this is the newest, best, current thing?

- Xbox 2020
- Xbox 4
- New Xbox

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I don't believe there's any chance they will or should drop the name.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have spent this entire generation making Xbox the name brand for gaming at Microsoft. Think Xbox Game Studios, Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Live, Xbox App. It wouldn't make sense and would involve re branding everything

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
They could go the way of Sega and Nintendo, and just name every system something different.

Imagine though, the Sega Master System 2, Master System 3, etc.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Agreed for sure. But where to start now? Xbox 2, Xbox TWO, Super Xbox, Xbox NEXT -- what are the options that really signify this is the newest, best, current thing?

- Xbox 2020
- Xbox 4
- New Xbox
Personally I hope they go with the year of console release. Like what they used to do with Windows. Of course this kind of kills their S branding since people assume the newer year == better/more powerful. Then they can add whatever branding after: Like Xbox 20 Infinity or something like that. The New or Next branding will push them to the corner yet again. What's after Next or New? Next Next or Newer? I just want them to stick to something. I am a big Xbox fan (360 was my main console and the original Xbox was my Dreamcast successor) so I hope they stick around for a long long time.