• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They could name it the Xbox again, but how about next gen?

Tbh 360 was a horrible name, and One, S and X were even weirder...

There is no good solution for this mess

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
They won't ditch a brand name they spent years building, come on now.

I know it's rather juvenile but imagine if they name the next console as Xbox XX.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
When they've literally just this year re-branded their studios group to 'Xbox Game Studios'? No. There's a reason they did that.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
No way they're going to step away from the Xbox brand. Just no. Never.

Since I also correctly predicted the name of the Nintendo Switch in a similar thread, I am hereby most qualified to give you a list which most likely contains the nextbox name.
You can thank me later:
Xbox Neo
Xbox Ultra
Xbox Pro
Xbox 2X
Xbox Shift
Xbox Cross
Xbox Ultimate

There's no way anyone will guess correctly. MS is especially terrible at naming their products.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
No. I prefer if they ditched the green theme though. Maybe yellow like Mario Maker's background. It screams fun.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hell no, the Xbox brand has too much mindshare at this point. A different name would only confuse customers and squander nearly two decades' worth of brand recognition.

It's odd the OP brought up the XB1's troubled launch as a potential reason to rebrand, when Microsoft has made a complete 180 with the XB1 since then, and won additional goodwill with the X.

This 'complete 180' hasn't really translated to tangible sales or mindshare outside of dedicated internet communities.

We haven't seen a shift in consumer trends and with Nintendo also currently firing on all cylinders, I don't think Microsoft will have it easier next gen.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
In Japan/Asia I think the right option is to make a deal with Sega or something and let them handle it. Rest of the world should stay as Xbox.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
All these discussion around the name, and Nintendo sold tens of millions of New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I don't see why they should. Xbox is a well established brand now. That said, they do need to figure out the rest, because it is a bit confusing now.

The sensible thing would be to call the next console the Xbox 2 and go on from there, but I'm sure they will come up with another creative name again...

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
This 'complete 180' hasn't really translated to tangible sales or mindshare outside of dedicated internet communities.
It did for me, I was 100% convinced that I'm going to skip this generation for good, now it's my main platform. They have my attention for what they have in the oven for next-gen. I'm not saying it's all wonderful now but without that turn, I don't even think if you will see that box in retail in 2019.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Absolutely not, but they do need to make the new name stand out not be Xbox Won or Xbox Free Sick Steve (Seasick Steve collab?🤔). And don't fucking call it Ultimate either.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Er no, that would be an incredibly stupid decision. Xbox is a huge brand. It would be insane to throw all that away.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Xbox is now aavailable well know platform that integrates live services, streaming, console, videogames and other things. They can't just throw that away.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
That wouldn't make sense, Xbox is a big name in gaming, much more relatable than Microsoft.

In my view they'll probably just call this Xbox 2. A bit dumb, but simple and future proof.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
No way they're going to step away from the Xbox brand. Just no. Never.

Since I also correctly predicted the name of the Nintendo Switch in a similar thread, I am hereby most qualified to give you a list which most likely contains the nextbox name.
You can thank me later:
Xbox Neo
Xbox Ultra
Xbox Pro
Xbox 2X
Xbox Shift
Xbox Cross
Xbox Ultimate

There's no way anyone will guess correctly. MS is especially terrible at naming their products.

one-xbox-one-x-box-281601.jpg

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
sure. let them commit brand suicide by changing the name and just hand Sony the generation right from the start....

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely not.

Apparently Xbox is actually quite popular with kids and on the rise as popular brands go, maybe Minecraft influence so the only way is up at this point and Xbox is one of the very few cool things Microsoft has, hard to get that back with a new name.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Absolutely not. The launch was a disaster but the brand is in a really good place right now with the X, Gamepass, backwards compatibility. There is a lot of hype for the next xbox.

Yeah, this really.

The brand is well known around the globe, changing it from "Xbox" would be foolish.

I think the " Xbox Infinite" would be a solid name.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I think going forward they'll have three boxes.

Xbox Link - streaming only device (Apple TV 4K with xCloud app basically)

Xbox S20 - base performance model

Xbox X20 - high-performance enthusiast model with stronger gpu

Then just iterate every 2 years (S22 and X22 in 2022, and so on)

EDIT: Oh and also I think thanks to xCloud we will have full backwards and forwards compatibility with all consoles released from Xbox One (2013) onwards. You'll just have a xCloud icon on the games in your library that you need to use xcloud to play because it is not playable on the box itself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can't get rid of the name "xbox" that is for sure. Xbox One in all entertainment system.

What a ridiculous name honestly. Then the One S. Then the One X.

The next box has gotta be called Xbox 2. Peace sign. Deuces. Yeah. It all makes sense now.
Xbox One X
Box
One
X

They were pretty cool with this one, even if it was an L of a generation. I'd be happy with Xbox and have them move to an OS based naming scheme.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Xbox 5 actually works if they want to count the One X as a generation or even just skip 4 like Apple did with the iPhone 9.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Absolutely not. Xbox is a name everyone knows now and I see no reason for them to change that. Exactly why it's wise of Sony to just stick with PS5.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's odd the OP brought up the XB1's troubled launch as a potential reason to rebrand, when Microsoft has made a complete 180 with the XB1 since then, and won additional goodwill with the X.

Based on what? Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. This has not been reflected in sales, the only tangible way of proving such a thing. That said, I disagree with the OP, it's a rather ridiculous suggestion.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if they own the brand, but it would be cool if they could bring back the MSX branding. Iirc, Microsoft Japan owned those rights, and it's pretty close to Xbox anyway.