• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to repeat. I have never been a fugitive. And I went to an art school , i have a degree. I more relate to those brothers than I do to max and clhoe, not to say that M&C are bad, I mean clhoe has a penchant for getting herself murderated but its a part of charm now. But I found max to be kind of... dull and nothing for a lot of the story and chloe like the rest fo the background characters to be almost goddamn cartooney in their archetype. Understand obviously these characterizations need to be played up for narrative purposes. But as a big brother, who's dealth with racism, who's had to march several family members on foot through bullshit. I get it. Not to the level. But I get it.

Being in a school doesn't immediately make something more relatable I feel. Its how they act and react to things, yes school can provide a basis for familiarity. But if written in a strange way, it can be as alien or as stereotypical as anyone wants it to be.

I say this as someone who loves the school setting/small town/sections of a city in all things.

I don't think anyone one is claiming the only reason, you or anyone else enjoyed it is because of white lesbians. But there are a bunch of people, even in this thread who are saying when it stopped being twee white girls... lost interest. Just disguising their reasons why. If you aren't that person, fantastic, but its an aspect of the fanbase that has been coloring some of the discussion since the game was annouced. And you should be able to understand my apprehension to the phrase " They aren't as relatable " having been though that being used as a means to disguise that for years.

And you are spltting hairs. If there dad hadn't had been shot, the powers wouldn't have went off. The basis for this games entire everything is boys dealing with racially motivatted killing of their father, in combination with dealing with super powers.

If that game would satisfy you fantastic. I just wanted to know your stance on things.

Its not just about the queerness, its about the whiteness. The thing about LIS strange is that IIRC their queerness has nothing of consequence to the story, and you could play that game not quuer, I didn't. But IIRC but you could just, not do that. And in all sorts of multiracial minority groups, racism still exists. So the idea of someone litterally only giving a shit about liberal causses when it comes to white people and then bailing when it comes to everyone else. Is not only possible, its happening and its happened through history.

So while yes there are problably a lot of people who liked LIS strange for what it was, I would say... most people do it if not everyone. When confronted with a scenario involving characters not out of their wheelhouse, there are a bunch of people who just " Can't relate " . And while that may not be you , it pops up often enough, even in this thread to not dismiss people bring it up as " oppression Olympics"
Thank you for this post.

It's a shame seeing people go out of their way to disparage this game for being it's own thing when the previous characters/story already got its due.

And when relatability is brought up in regard to leads in media, it's all too often a euphemism for "these characters are too culturally different from me."

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I ain't played this yet and I've been avoiding most stuff on it until the final episode is released so I can binge it in one go (sure it sucks for developers but I'm not waiting months for each episode).

But anyway, seems to me like if it is as disconnected from season 1 and BTS as people here are claiming, perhaps they should have made it an entirely different series altogether. Because even if it's amazing, its fated to always get compared to the success of the first season and have the first season held up to it.

Cus now the game is not its own new and interesting thing, but rather it's something that has taken away what people like.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The first two episodes don't seem to have made much of a splash. IGN didn't even review the 2nd episode. The thread on here is totally dead. The game doesn't seem to be catching on. The painfully long release schedule is really not doing them any favors at this point.

What's gone wrong here?

Well, one thing that's worth mentioning is the absence of the rewind mechanic from Life is Strange 1. It encouraged experimentation and made the game much more interesting. It differentiated it from TellTale in an important way. Before the Storm got away with the absence of that (though it suffered for it) because the audience was already attached to the main characters.

I think Dontnod overestimated how much they could change the focus of the franchise and keep the fanbase they'd built up. Different characters could have worked, but I think there was a specific tone and sensibility to the first game that fans were looking to slip back into. And Captain Spirit was a big marketing mistake. It was a move that sold the audience on ANOTHER lovable kid, who isn't the kid the real game was focused on. Chris and Daniel seem similar, but they're not the same character. This just caused unnecessary confusion.

The roadtrip aspect of the game is interesting, but I think it reminds people of THE WALKING DEAD, which is not an association you want to make (considering the state of TellTale).

Life is Strange was an anomalous success, but this style of game seems to be a risky one.

Unfortunately, I really don't think this game is going to have a come back and find a real audience. It probably would have done better as a full price release of the entire game. The goodwill from the first game would have made sales. I can't imagine that there will be much hype by the time the last episode drops in DECEMBER. Again, this release schedule is crazy. I expect sales to dwindle.

100% completely agree. LiS2 has completely dropped off the map (and will never recover) because they abandoned what the vast majority of players enjoyed from the first game. A safe sequel with Max returning would have been way better than what we got here. LiS2 is so so disappointing to me.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Was going to ask what people think now that more episodes have come out, but this thread already existed so I'm bumping it

what do people think now that more episodes have come out?

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Was going to ask what people think now that more episodes have come out, but this thread already existed so I'm bumping it

what do people think now that more episodes have come out?

I think its an ambitious failure in a different way. I think the idea of a picaresque game based on road literature is interesting but tying it into a franchise that is in some ways about branching choices creates an inherent tension that doesn't quite work. And while I think its going for serious political themes and at times nailing them there are also sequences and dialogue that is the classic LiS sort of clunky but it doesn't quite help the points to land. I also wish the Lynchian vibes were still present. So sort of a interesting mixed bag and glad to be playing it but not really sure how this will all come together(it could close in a really satisfying way eliminating some of these critiques).

Status
Not open for further replies.