• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note: This thread will undoubtedly feature numerous people telling me to wait until all five episodes are released before making an opinion. I recognize that it's possible for the game to change my opinion and I will happily make a different thread in the event that it does. However, given the enormous gaps between episodes, I feel it is appropriate to offer at least some opinion on the two episodes currently released, which have provided a decent overview of the characters, concepts, story, gameplay, and overall vision of the game.

A brief history of the Life Is Strange fandom
In January 2015, Dontnod Entertainment released the first episode of Life Is Strange, a largely overlooked little graphic adventure game published by Square Enix. The game's graphics and facial animations weren't exactly amazing, the dialogue was more than a little corny at times, the gameplay largely consisted of slowly walking around areas clicking on objects of interest, and the early reviews were lukewarm at best. But the quiet Pacific Northwest setting, relaxing indie soundtrack, central gameplay conceit of rewinding time to solve puzzles or redo your conversations with other characters, and the genuine, relatable bond between Max and Chloe led Life Is Strange to slowly build goodwill among those who played it. By the time the third episode was released in May 2015, Life Is Strange had become something of a phenomenon, attracting a growing fanbase that was riveted to see where the adventure would go. People saw something of themselves in the characters, the world, and the story, and it captivated them. And at the height of "LISmania," Dontnod confirmed that while they did have plans for a sequel or second "season" of episodes, it would star different characters in a different storyline.

At the time, people were cautiously optimistic. Dontnod had struck gold, and people were generally excited both for the conclusion to Max and Chloe's story, and for whatever came next. What new world of ideas would Dontnod throw us into? But then Life Is Strange's fifth and final episode was released in October, and things quickly fell apart. The endings to the game were...controversial, to put it mildly. After leaving most of the game's mysteries and storylines unresolved, players are suddenly forced into a binary choice, unrelated to any decision made earlier in the game, that many cynical fans had predicted months ahead of time; a choice between two brutally tragic endings full of death and destruction. Worse, one of those endings was clearly left completely unfinished, a product of a rushed development cycle that resulted in much of Dontnod's original plans for the fifth episode being thrown out and replaced with an extended and elaborate dream sequence.

Much of the goodwill Dontnod had cultivated over the last ten months disappeared. Some people who were previously excited for a new game with new characters now found themselves angry and frustrated at what they felt was an anticlimactic end to Max and Chloe's story. A schism formed within the community, between those eager to move on to something new and those who were hoping that Dontnod might reverse course and try to fix the mess they had left behind. In their absence, a gigantic cottage industry of fanfiction and fanart sprung up to create a happier and more pleasant ending for the two characters fans had become so attached to.

When something is popular, it only makes business sense to capitalize on it. Such is the way of the entertainment industry, or any industry, and inevitably Square Enix noticed that there was a huge groundswell of support for the characters of Max and Chloe and the little town of Arcadia Bay. Thus, to the surprise of many, in the spring of 2017 Square Enix announced that a new Life Is Strange game would be released, a prequel starring Chloe and Rachel Amber, and that it would not be developed by Dontnod who, they reiterated, were hard at work on the mysterious and unrelated sequel. Life Is Strange: Before the Storm had some uphill battles of its own to overcome -- being developed by an untested studio, being set as a prequel to a story we already know, shedding light on mysteries and backstories fans had previously invented for themselves, the lack of a time travel gameplay gimmick, and an ongoing voice actor strike that prevented Ashly Burch from reprising her acclaimed role as Chloe -- but ultimately the game received a generally positive reception from the fanbase. At worst, people found it to be unnecessary or boring; at best, they enjoyed the new content and character moments and welcomed it into the family. A bonus episode released in 2018 let us play as Max one more time and, with the strike concluded, even brought back the original voice actors.

Now, all eyes were on Dontnod to see what the long-awaited and mythical sequel to Life Is Strange would look like.

Life Is Strange 2
At E3 2018, Dontnod revealed a short demo game called "The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit," which they (somewhat confusingly) explained was a free prequel to the still-unrevealed Life Is Strange 2. The game let you play as a young kid named Chris who wants to be a superhero, and it was generally well-received. The cliffhanger ending and extensive datamining of the files confirmed a rumor that had been floating around for some time: that Life Is Strange 2 would star two brothers. In the coming months, the game was fully unveiled. Life Is Strange 2 would star 16-year-old Sean and his 9-year-old brother Daniel, who go on the run from their home in Seattle following a confrontation that leaves their dad and a police officer dead. The fanbase expressed some tentative excitement. Some people expressed early concerns about how different the game seemed from the first installment, while others said that everyone should wait and see before passing judgment, which was a fair statement. Some of these arguments (including those on this forum) turned a bit ugly at times. Further controversy occurred when Square Enix asked for a $40 up-front price tag for all five episodes, without the ability to buy them individually. Eventually, episode 1 was released in September 2018, to quite positive reviews from critics and a mostly positive reception from fans, who felt the story was off to a decent start even if many hadn't quite connected with the characters yet.

And then we waited. And waited. And waited. By the time episode 2 was released in January, people had grown impatient. And after playing episode 2, they began to lose their cool a bit. It became clear that many of the concerns expressed months earlier were coming to pass.

Life Is Strange 2 is an ambitious game. I want to make that clear. Dontnod could have chosen the "easy" way out (although that's debatable) and simply made another game with the same characters and rolled in the dough. Instead, they chose to make a game that in almost every way is the complete opposite of the first game. Creatively, this is a strong choice that shows ambition and desire to do new things. Financially, it's a huge gamble. It quickly became apparent that LIS2 was not setting the sales charts on fire. An expensive, full-price episodic game, starring completely different characters, released right as Telltale Games catastrophically imploded was a recipe for bad things. But in my opinion, the game also has a number of other creative issues that stem from Dontnod's controversial decision to distance themselves as far as possible from the original story:

The small-town feel. Arcadia Bay is a great place. I mean, it's actually a dump and it sucks, but it's great in the sense that it felt like a place you could really live. That homey, small-town feel contributed greatly to the game's aesthetics and story. But LIS2 is a road trip story that takes place across many locations, none of which are distinct or memorable because we don't spend enough time there. Worse, this contributes to the game's release timing issue: by essentially forcing the developers to create an entirely new set of environments and characters for every episode, the development time is increased significantly.

The supporting cast: Everyone remembers Max and Chloe, but we also know Victoria and Warren and Frank and Nathan and Jefferson and Kate and Joyce and David. Even minor characters like Brooke and Dana have fans. This ensemble cast fleshes out the world and contributes to the coming-of-age feel of the game. In contrast, because LIS2 takes place across many locations, there isn't really a supporting cast. Each episode introduces two or three characters who encounter Sean and Daniel, change their story in some way, and then disappear, putting us back with the two brothers.

The gameplay gimmick. Life Is Strange is a narrative graphic adventure game, but what differentiates itself from other games where you walk around and click on stuff is the rewind, Max's mysterious ability to reverse time and do things differently. This ingenious mechanic serves both as an interesting gameplay feature and as a strong metaphor for the young adult, who wishes they could undo their mistakes and avoid commitment. Life Is Strange 2 also features a supernatural component, but it's just generic telepathy powers that are possessed not by the player character but by his brother. You have some limited "control" over these powers, in that you can ask Daniel to do things with them, but this is not nearly as interesting, either from a gameplay or story perspective. Instead, the real gimmick of the game appears to be more subtle: that your actions will influence Daniel's behavior and his future choices, which are otherwise out of your control. On paper, this sounds very interesting and has the potential for a lot of branching storylines and strong commentary on the influence of a young man on his kid brother. But in practice, it remains to be seen to what extent this gameplay gimmick will actually pan out. Dontnod's track record of actions having consequences in the first game leaves a lot to be desired.

Relatability. This is a very subjective thing, but I think the original Life Is Strange resonated with a lot of people because either Max or Chloe's story (or even both) were very relatable. Max is a shy, anxious girl who comes back to her hometown after a while away. She runs into an old friend that she hasn't spoken to in many years. Chloe has suffered loss and withdrawn inward, becoming jaded and angry at everyone, blaming herself for things that are out of her control. They reconnect and begin to grow up very quickly as things around them are changing rapidly. School, relationships, fear of change, fear of the future -- these are all universally relatable parts of the teenage and young adult experience. LIS2 starts out similarly but quickly thrusts the protagonists into a totally unrelatable fugitive storyline that, so far, hasn't really gone to any of these same places. The only truly relatable part of the game is the bond between Sean and Daniel, something that I'm sure many people with siblings understand. The game's biggest strength is the idea that players will become attached to Daniel and want to protect and care for him. It remains to be seen exactly how they will follow through on this.

The protagonists. This is ultimately where things become entirely a matter of opinion, but it's not unfair to say that a simple perusal of any Life Is Strange fan community makes it clear that Sean and Daniel just haven't clicked with people the same way that Max and Chloe did. There are many different reasons for this, and some of them have devolved into ugly "oppression Olympics" garbage about marginalized groups and representation, but I think ultimately the reason is more simple: Sean isn't a super interesting protagonist, and Daniel is too young for him to bounce off of. Max was a pretty blank slate too, but she was always paired and contrasted with Chloe, a very vibrant and colorful character who is always very "present" in every scene she's in. Sean is very much an "ordinary teenager" without much interesting about him, but he has no Chloe to play with, no colorful sidekick to flesh out his personality. Daniel is a cute little kid, but he's kind of just...there. As I noted above, the biggest possible strength that the game has is the ability to make players care for Daniel as their own brother and want to help and protect him. After two episodes, some players truly feel that way, while others don't just yet. There are three episodes left for Dontnod to make that happen.

There are three episodes of Life Is Strange 2 left to release, and they could go in any number of directions. It's entirely possible that Dontnod will totally turn things around and wow everyone, recapturing the magic. But after two episodes, I don't currently believe that the big, ambitious gamble they took paid off. I think that a smaller, more intimate story set in a single location with a cast of supporting characters would have gone a long way towards solving some of these problems, both in terms of story and in terms of the unacceptable, momentum-killing gaps in episode releases.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
life is strange 1 had its hooks in me from episode 1, and that hasnt happened with 2 yet. I thought episode 2 of lis2 was quite boring overall.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a very unfair analysis because you're basically asking LiS 2 to be what it isn't.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I like LiS2. The characters have a different struggle.

The first Life is Strange was about Max adjusting to her new life ultimately.

Life is Strange 2 is how do you adjust to a world that won't adjust to you.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I liked the first episode and the premise of the game. EP2 was really a let-down. But I'm not giving up on it after one bad episode. I'm still slightly optimistic that it will turn out good. But I don't think it will reach LiS1 levels of awesome.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
My post from another thread regarding the game serving as a "blueprint for what not to do if you want to make a financially successful episodic game sequel."

No. 1: Replace the main girl characters and situations that made people love the original game with a story of two boys who spend 90 percent of their time in the woods alone so there's very little meaningful interaction and NPC character/relationship building.

No. 2: Make sure no significant story progression is made after 2 episodes, while in comparison the second episode of the original ended with one of the most impactful scenes in the entire game.

No 3: Remove the one thing - the power to rewind time and change your path - that made the orginal series so unique in terms of a choose your own adventure title - and replace it with a kid using The Force which btw has no "gameplay" aspect to it unlike rewind.

No. 4: Completely screw up the release schedule so that most people forget it's even a thing.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
I think the road trip aspect has really hurt it so far, and Sean and Daniel while good aren't on the level of Max and Chloe. BtS felt more like a LiS 2 to me.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of premature and subjective points thrown here (most of which I fully support btw), but comparing the gameplay gimmick seems to be fair even after two episodes unless we see some drastic (and frankly improbable) changes in the three remaining parts. Replacing control over time with a situational control over a different character who occasionally uses telekinetic powers is incredibly regressive and utterly disappointing.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I've genuinely enjoyed the first two episodes, but i do agree on two points.

Terrible release schedule
Disappointing lack of supporting cast

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think there's still potential in the title with their being 3 episodes and all. But the start has been rather slow and the release schedule very problematic. The gaps are really huge and there isn't much talking between episodes since there's no real theories to craft.

I'm all for them doing new things and I like the idea of the LiS universe being this sort of "unbreakable" style thing. Where it's more grounded despite there being powers. But they need to keep the stuff engaging.

On the opposite end Before the Storm I thought was great and would even say is better than LiS 1 and it has nothing in the way of powers or anything else (though you do have the dream stuff). It's just an interesting story every episode, even if you're not into the universe yet.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
My biggest gripe is that a big part of why I loved lis1 was the rewind mechanic, it fixed something that always bothered me with these types of games, BtS and Lis2 lacking the rewind makes them both feel like a step back, gameplay wise.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Specifically the thing you mention OP about LiS2 lacking that "small town feel" is what disappointed me with Episode 1 of Season 2.

I like that small Shenmue-esque world in the first game with lots of little narrative details to uncover. The Twin Peaks style where every NPC has their secrets and story to tell (or not)

S2 ep1 has that a little bit at the start but then turns into a much more rail-roaded TellTale style adventure, the thing which is the opposite of why I loved LiS1 so much. The "on the run" narrative is not really what I wanted at all, sadly.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I think this is a very unfair analysis because you're basically asking LiS 2 to be what it isn't.

THIS.

Life is Strange 2 is a different story.They have done the right thing.
It is also a more ambitious and complex game.

The wait between episode is too long,but that's another problem.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that really put me off this is the massive waiting time. If they knew it was going to take this long, then they should have waited to release the first episode so everything was much more consistent. They should drop the episodic format from now on if that is what we can expect in the future, it isn't realistic. I love the story in this about two brothers and surviving in the horrible world around them. The concept isn't something I have a problem with.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I don't like the long waits btwn episodes but LiS2 is pretty good so far imo.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For your point about relatability, I'm sure LiS2 is very relatable for anyone who was brought here undocumented as a child, or who grew up homeless, or anyone who had run ins with the law as a child/teenager. The game is trying to present an experience you may not be familiar with, and trying to get you to empathize with that experience. That's pretty valuable as a work of interactive media.

I think the episodic model simply doesn't work for games, though.

Last edited:

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I haven't played through or even watched a playthrough of LiS2 because playing through LiS left a pretty sour taste in my mouth (it pretty much killed my interest in these 'episodic' style games), but it's for that reason that I would say that yeah, you should probably wait until it's finished for a final judgement. I liked LiS all the way up until I didn't at the last second.

I would also say that it's pretty valid to say that Max and Chloe being (potentially) in a relationship made them more endearing to the people that cultivate the audience. 2 tragic white lesbians are probably far more interesting to the demographic than 2 struggling mexican brothers. Not to diminish the other reasons presented, like the inconsistent secondary cast and such, but I don't think making this judgement call would be a controversial statement.

Also, seeing that the last episode doesn't come out until December made me laugh a bit, to be honest. That's ridiculous.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My post from another thread regarding the game serving as a "blueprint for what not to do if you want to make a financially successful episodic game sequel."

No. 1: Replace the main girl characters and situations that made people love the original game with a story of two boys who spend 90 percent of their time in the woods alone so there's very little meaningful interaction and NPC character/relationship building.

No. 2: Make sure no significant story progression is made after 2 episodes, while in comparison the second episode of the original ended with one of the most impactful scenes in the entire game.

No 3: Remove the one thing - the power to rewind time and change your path - that made the orginal series so unique in terms of a choose your own adventure title - and replace it with a kid using The Force which btw has no "gameplay" aspect to it unlike rewind.

No. 4: Completely screw up the release schedule so that most people forget it's even a thing.
#3 is pretty much the big weakness with both Before the Storm & LiS2.

Losing that gameplay in both games REALLY killed the replayability, fun, and gaming aspect of both games.

But these 4 points are pretty on the dot.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Thoroughly agreed on the Gameplay Gimmick. A lot of what made the first LiS resonate with me was the interaction of the rewind mechanic with the choice-based narrative, which gave the game a ton of thematic depth even if you were ultimately unhappy with the ending, and felt like it was breaking new ground in the way video games as a medium can tell a story.
Lose that and you lose a lot of what made the game special - even though I liked Before the Storm it didn't hit home with me the same way without that extra layer of subtext.

I actually think going with new characters wasn't a bad decision - I'm a firm believer in stories knowing when to stop - but they shouldn't have discarded the rewind mechanic.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved LiS, but have yet to find any interest in playing S2, mostly bceause of the lack of Max and Chloe.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having not played it, waiting for all the episodes to be released, it definitely feels like they've bit off more than they could chew. For me the issue started with Captain Spirit which was too on the nose and lacked the, admittedly thin, layer of subtlety that made the first game feel intriguing and poignant.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think Dontnod realized things were a bit off with LiS2 so they changed things up a bit

Like I don't think the Captain Spirit ep was originally Ep 2

Also *singsong voice* everyone's gay in Arcadia Bay

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the first two episodes of Life Is Strange 2 have been pretty good, but I think DONTNOD may be fucked. I imagine Deck Nine are going to continue Max and Chloe's story, and whether that's right or wrong, they're going to become the series' "main" developers.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
LiS2 is a massive disappointment. It is very similiar to TWD S2 in how the developers downgraded the mechanical complexity. Both LiS S1 and TWD S1 featured a hefty amount of puzzles. For S2, both games more or less dropped it. In the case of LiS, it's even worse because the time manipulation mechanic was extremely fun and experimental. It made the game feel a lot less railroaded and linear, plus it gave you the illusion of having more choice than you actually do. T

The decision to make the game focused on a roadtrip is something that I feel would've worked fine for a single episode maybe, but stretching it out for the entire season was a mistake. It betrays one of the main reasons why the first game was so comfy and easy to get attached to. The big recurring cast of characters and familiar locations. Not to mention that with the roadtrip format, the illusion of choice is further diminished as regardless of your actions you know that you'll be moving on from place to place. I suspect it's also the reason why the release date of each episode is so far apart, which is also another big issue with the game. The time between episode 1 and the final episode will be.... over a year. It doesn't help that episode 2 was probably the worst episode Dontnod put out from both seasons (and BTS, honestly) combined, so my motivation to play the next episode is at an all time low.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't be happier that they moved on to new characters, new locations and a new gameplay mechanic.
Are Sean and Daniel quite as amusing to watch as that stupid psycho Nathan Prescott? No.

But I don't need them to be. I wanted a different perspective through the eyes of an artist and that's what I'm getting. It's not perfect in its execution, but neither was Life is Strange 1 or Before the Storm. That didn't prevent me from enjoying them. So, aside the release schedule being horrendously overdrawn, I am glad we're getting this story instead of even more Max and Chloe or anything similar.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
You hit the nail on the head. LiS2 looks interesting but it doesn't immediately draw me to it like the first game. I think the final product will be fine, but it does feel harder to justify the episodic format with such a slow burn story.

Another thing that made LiS so special was the murder mystery wrapped around the plot. It helped have a bigger overarching story than just Max and Chloe's relationship, and kept the intrigue going with some great moments and cliffhangers. LiS2 is really missing those hooks that keep you wanting more, and while I can get invested in the brothers' relationship it really does feel like it needs more. People picking apart the Captain Spirit demo for mysteries and clues really showed what the audience was hungry for in a sequel.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I think the big issue for me has just been the constant tension and dread in it. LiS1 obviously had lots of tense, dramatic moments, but there were long stretches of pretty clear safety, where you were just being a teenager. There were characters who were pretty clearly just high schoolers, who weren't going to turn out to be secret villains. In LiS2 every section comes with a sense that this could be where you accidentally get spotted. Every character feels like they might be the one who sells you out to the cops. It's all of the drama but without a chance to ever really build the affection towards the characters and the world in the quieter moments that the first one had. All of that is replaced with an attempt to get you to just really want to protect Daniel, and it just doesn't create the same vibe. One of the things that set LiS apart was how it was in that Telltale genre, but didn't feel at all like the Walking Dead, but the constant tension, fear of betrayal, and lack of fixed location actually has it feeling closer to Walking Dead than LiS.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a bit off topic, but why are the episodes feeling like they are taking forever to come out? It feels longer than usual, but maybe I'm wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
I was nearly immediately hooked by one and the characters(especially Max) ended up making it one of my all time favorites.

2 looked uninteresting from the start and have zero interest in ever actually playing it.
"lets take everything that worked about the original(characters, character interaction, small-town feeling, time mechanic) and throw it out the window"
brilliant

LiS 1 was just really special, I can't think of a single video game character I have ever connected with as much as Max(and that was as a 25 year old straight guy)

Last edited:

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I think the first two episodes of Life Is Strange 2 have been pretty good, but I think DONTNOD may be fucked. I imagine Deck Nine are going to continue Max and Chloe's story, and whether that's right or wrong, they're going to become the series' "main" developers.

The fact there's a comic continuing one of the endings of the original game featuring the popular characters. seems prime candidate for a VG adaptation. The name is practically there for the taking too. Life Is Strange: After The Storm

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's a shame that LiS2 doesn't seem to be doing as well as it's predecessor but I still 100% support them moving away from Max and Chloe (who were great), and making the franchise more like an anthology series. With very few exceptions I tend to get bored of direct story continuations in sequels as i have difficulty dealing with believing that abnormal circumstances continuously happening to the same person/people. Obviously it's fiction, but it pulls me out of things a bit.

Back to LiS2, the fact it's telling a story about another under-represented group (two young Latino boys) is a positive for me as well - once all five eps are out I'll be jumping on board.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The fact there's a comic continuing one of the endings of the original game featuring the popular characters. seems prime candidate for a VG adaptation. The name is practically there for the taking too. Life Is Strange: After The Storm
The issue with that is that it takes away from the split ending of the first game. If they made the "bad ending" canon, it would be very controversial.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I've only played episode 1 of LIS2 on gamepass and I liked it a lot. But as much as I like the series, it's a hard sell. It's 40 bucks, has huge breaks between releases, is on Gamepass (with a reasonable delay when looking at the release schedule) and looking at LIS1 and BTS, the series usually is on sale for next to nothing shortly after completion and releases physically with an art book and CD. I love the series and even double dipped on BTS because of the physical version but I can't bother to do that with LIS2 when there's so much waiting involved.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
I agree that it's not as strong as the first game. Hasn't gripped me hard from the start like the first did. I am still enjoying LiS2, but I think the only real reason that it has held my attention so far is that I am an older brother to a younger brother and the dynamic hits me close to the heart.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Feels a bit premature to judge LiS2 solely on two episodes. The first game only really hooked me with the very ending of it's second episode. Only by episode 3 did I feel like the story was moving into more interesting places (and so were the characters).

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it, but half-wish I waited until after it was complete to start playing.

I'm all for trying different things, but the road trip aspect feels like a bit of a misfire for now. It's seemingly making it harder for players to feel connected to the universe, and it's also making development take much longer because they need to keep creating new assets and locations.

As of now I actually love Sean and Daniel more than Max and Chloe, but the setting and vibe of the first game are still unparalleled even if you only compare the first two episodes. And the usage of powers was also much more prevalent and interesting in the first LiS.

I still feel hopeful that it will be a great package after it's all said and done, but yeah, we'll have to wait and see. It does suck that it will take so many months.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LiS2 is too thematically different from LiS for me to really care about it. Give me a small town, give me queer women. I don't care much about brothers on a road trip.

this is correct, you should absolutely look at it as a whole, not while it is incomplete, no matter how impatient you may be
She could make an opinion the moment she put down $40 for it. If they only want the game judged as a whole they should have released it that way.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved season 1, I liked Before the Storm, I've decided to wait for a big sale after playing the first episode of season 2. I couldn't connect with the main characters, didn't care about most of the side characters from episode 1, and there's no time rewind mechanic or something equally revolutionary in terms of gameplay. Also it's buggy and I personally don't like how it touches the subject of current politics (I fully understand it's going to be a + for many people).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
this is correct, you should absolutely look at it as a whole, not while it is incomplete, no matter how impatient you may be

The counterpole to love isn't hate, it is indifference.

And when the first two episodes bore you to death, you don't wait for the rest. Especially not when the previous game didn't have an amazing ending, so the argument/promise that it will make sense at the end and it will be awesome... is far-fetched.

Oh, let me rephrase "boring to death" LiS1 seemed and looked boring at times. But the characters were intriguing and the quieter sections felt like a "slice of life" segment that I am fond of. LiS2 doesn't have that. it is just boring overall.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a big fan of the first one I'm not all that compelled to play the sequel. Life is Strange is one of those games where you can't make lightning strike twice. The massive increase in price didn't help as well.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I agree with everything, except one thing:

At the time, people were cautiously optimistic. Dontnod had struck gold, and people were generally excited both for the conclusion to Max and Chloe's story, and for whatever came next. What new world of ideas would Dontnod throw us into? But then Life Is Strange's fifth and final episode was released in October, and things quickly fell apart. The endings to the game were...controversial, to put it mildly. After leaving most of the game's mysteries and storylines unresolved, players are suddenly forced into a binary choice, unrelated to any decision made earlier in the game, that many cynical fans had predicted months ahead of time; a choice between two brutally tragic endings full of death and destruction. Worse, one of those endings was clearly left completely unfinished, a product of a rushed development cycle that resulted in much of Dontnod's original plans for the fifth episode being thrown out and replaced with an extended and elaborate dream sequence.
For me, the ending was one of the best thing in Life is Strange, maybe the second best thing after time travel which allow to change a choice. Because if you look at numbers, each ending has been chosen by about the same percentage of people (when I played it, it was 51/49) and everyone is persuaded that its ending is the only real ending, that the other is just an unbeliveable bad and rushed ending.
And obviously, everyone who didn't choose to kill Chloé was wrong.

For the ending, I don't want something like "Do you want to save the world or let it be destroyed ?" I want a real and hard choice, with some good and some bad things. And Life is Strange was perfect for that.

You speak about consequences, but it isn't true. There is a lot of consequences in Life is Strange, like:
The death of Kate

It doesn't affect the main ending? Fine, but my Arcadia Bay is very different than yours and there isn't a "true ending".

For Life is Strange 2, I think they made many good decisions, but they should have kept the ability to change a choice. If they don't want to include time travel, they should have allow player to save/load at any moment, like in a regular RPG. I think Life is Strange 2 suffer to be an episodic game, but I'm not sure if it was Dontnod's choice. Twin Mirror will probably be one of the last narrative episodic game.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any explanation yet why Chloe was the cause of the storm? Like why they made us choose and fall for the tragic Lgbtq trope?

An awful way to undermine every decision made until that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.