• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I feel like 'fleshing out' should be a term reserved for the parts of this game which actually flesh out your understanding of the world and to better appreciate the character development. I think the only new content that does that is chapter 4. We see the upper plate, we learn why Jesse joined Avalanche. We see the towns Shinra set up for its workers and it makes thing a little more complex than 'Shinra = bad guys'.

When it is just taking something like the collapsed highway and making it really long, or making the sewers into two dungeons or having a long obstacle course in a lab, nothing is really being fleshed out here. It's more like the player is just being stalled until the next big event (which will not hit as hard cause the urgency of each of these big moments are being undercut by some weird Dirge of Cerberus style level design)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
You should know Era well enough by now to know that people aren't allowed to have opinions in OTs that aren't glowing praise that feeds everyone's hype. That's why threads like this exist.
Sadly this is the reality, every time I try to open some discusion in the OT of some game I have some complaints about (which are all of them), I get greeted by the hivemind (fanbase). Sadly threads like that are the only way to offer some constructive criticism.

Jun 23, 2019
Dude chill. There are a lot of clear examples of the padding people are talking about. It's in the minute to minute gameplay, ie the constant interruptions and cutscenes. For example:

When Barret and Tifa are leading you through reactor 5, and even though it's a straight line with no way to get lost, you keep getting interrupted by scenes with Barret pointing out the guide dog. This stuff could have easily been casual exploration banter, which the game absolutely needed more of. I don't know why I need to be stopped and told to go up the stairs when there literally isn't anywhere else to go.

If that is what is seen as padding nowadays, then man I guess I actually love it then. Moment to moment gameplay and story beats that expand on something or give nuance to a particular scene isn't padding. Someone mentioned holding down triangle to open a door is padding. Like really? Compared to stuff like Persona 5 and any recent 'Tales of' game, this shit was a cakewalk. Like I said earlier, Square Enix fleshing our areas of the game that were literal maps to run through in the original game shouldn't be construed as "padding". Like, this entire argument blows my mind.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I strongly disagree, I'm near the end (chapter 16) and I'm having a lot of fun, the pacing is really good.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here'a my hot take: game didn't need to be 35 hours.

20 tops. I know there is an expectation of length with RPGs but what good is length when the content is boring?

give me something brisk with high replay value.

here's my other major thought: most of the "Expanded/fleshed-out" story and character development is absolute trash.

honestly, i really want is the original game with up-res backgrounds and a superior localization on consoles.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first jrpg that didn't feel like a chore to me in a long time. Mainly because of the characters and combat/gameplay I think though. Those two things are usually what kills most jrpgs nowadays for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly this is the reality, every time I try to open some discusion in the OT of some game I have some complaints about (which are all of them), I get greeted by the hivemind (fanbase). Sadly threads like that are the only way to offer some constructive criticism.
I have literally never had this experience in any OT on Era.

But then I don't look only at a few people replying being dismissive (which will happen everywhere online, not just in OTs) and ignore those engaging in constructive debate.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The wall market section when trying to save Tifa iirc was the a point i was like. Come on!
Visit this person, need to do something and ask a another person, then that person wants you to do something also, and go to a other person also. And this is a main path thing. And in the end it didnt really matter.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree, the only time I ever felt annoyed at the game was Ch 14 for backtracking.

Outside of that I felt the game did a great job of making you care about the characters that came off as afterthoughts in the original.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
this is what happen when you stretch 5 hours into 40 hours.

As a result, the game has a shitty pacing and 90% of the new things are forgettable.

coming from modern square i'm not that shocked.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I thought that was cool the first time, but like a lot of things in the game, it felt like that road was unnecessarily long, and that puzzle was over-used considering how slow all the animations were.
I think it's like Rockstar games. It's not entertaining but the production quality is impressive. But I think the animations are more fun to look at in FFVII than they are in Rockstar because they're creative and more hand animated and the graphics have such a slick, polished look and feel.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Chapter 13 and 14 were a slog. The side quests were mind numbingly boring and clunky.

The good news is that the last 2 chapters are the best part of the game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Someone mentioned holding down triangle to open a door is padding. Like really?
Of course it is, it's the worst kind of padding as it doesn't provide any fun while making the game longer for no reason. This and the forced slow walking sections /crawling through narrow corridors are the worst kind of padding you can add to a game that is 25+ hours long.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So its wrong to flesh out established characters and breathe life into the ones that weren't? Its not 25 hours of filler, more like 4-5 hours max.

the bottom line for me is FF7:R Midgar > 1997 FF7 Midgar.
I get to spend more time with the characters I love, and I get to enjoy more of the characters that were not given this care and attention 23 years ago. With an awesome combat system to boot.

Its ironic because this is probably the least padded FF since... X?

It's a very hypocritical game, honestly. It's extremely padded, and yet at the same time there also isn't very much there. Like there are almost no MEANINGFUL new dungeons (I would argue there honestly aren't any meaningful new dungeons despite there being several completely created-from-whole-cloth new areas, but for the sake of argument...), the sidequests are all MMO-level filler, and so much of the experience winds up being about running around the same linear hallways to walk to places you've already been just to fill up time.

Like I don't think I would mind it being over 40 hours if I felt like the story got anywhere meaningful, but by the end of the game it was like "oh, we're done, huh?" - it cuts off so early in the plot that nothing has really been accomplished. So there's a ton of STUFF in the game but very little meaningful STORY, which just feels like a very weird alignment of priorities at the end of the day.

Jun 23, 2019
Of course it is, it's the worst kind of padding as it doesn't provide any fun while making the game longer for no reason. This and the forced slow walking sections /crawling through narrow corridors are the worst kind of padding you can add to a game that is 25+ hours long.

My guy, are you really saying a 2 second button hold completely ruined your entire experience? Come on now.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I beat the game last week. It took me 29 hours mostly sticking to the critical path and I thought it probably would've been more enjoyable at around 20-ish. There's just way too much padding and filler. Throwing switches relentlessly and running through the same copypaste industrial environments/sewers for 30-60 minutes at a time is just so fucking boring.

Some of the expanded content was fantastic - Don Corneo, the Shinra tour - but some of it was just so soulless and dare I say, "lazy."

The combat being excellent and the lack of grinding needed to beat the game definitely helped, but less would've been more.

It doesn't help that there's fiddly time wasting shit like the precision of the Triangle prompts and so on, and not being able to view the exact stat difference when you want to buy an item.

One of my friends gave a pretty typical "but that's JRPGs..." rebuttal, which seems to rather miss the point.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Completely disagree, it's actually one of the few jrpgs/RPGs that felt going straight to the end without much waste of time, sometimes even too fast paced for my taste. Sidequests are rare and quick to be done, puzzles in dungeons don't even exist, everything is linear filled up with battles and cutscenes. No long dungeons either. Play any other jrpg like Tales of or Dq and the experience is totally different. Its surely bloated if you compare it to uncharted, but to RPGs in general? Not in hell lol

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That ~5 hour filler right before the final motorbike section is absolutely inexcusable

Agreed. I wrote somewhere above that I wasn't as bothered by the padding as many others, but I had basically erased this part from my memory for the sake of my own sanity. That part was so painfully unenjoyable.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If that is what is seen as padding nowadays, then man I guess I actually love it then. Moment to moment gameplay and story beats that expand on something or give nuance to a particular scene isn't padding. Someone mentioned holding down triangle to open a door is padding. Like really? Compared to stuff like Persona 5 and any recent 'Tales of' game, this shit was a cakewalk. Like I said earlier, Square Enix fleshing our areas of the game that were literal maps to run through in the original game shouldn't be construed as "padding". Like, this entire argument blows my mind.
It's a cynical take, but I can see why they would make it.

Why else would they design the switch to have the character stand still for a few seconds like that? It's not like we needed to be sure we wanted to flip them...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I do not need the subway tunnel area from the original game to be a two-hour straight line where I constantly get yelled at to look at dog graffiti on the wall. I did not need the Train Graveyard to be two hours of hide and seek with ghosts when my characters are trying to stop genocide. I didn't need the rooftop after Aeris' church to be 45 minutes of basically QTE-level walking around on rooftops.

These things don't make me appreciate Midgar more, they feel like I'm quite literally having my time wasted to justify the developers not adapting the parts of the game or the playable characters I actually care about yet.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I had in the past, specially with JRPGs, which I play all the time. The DQ XI and NnK II OTs were beyond toxic, but I'm digressing.
I honestly do think this is confirmation bias when people have a bad experience with a few posters in an OT who have dismissed them. And I get it, it can suck when people do that.

Oct 26, 2017
So its wrong to flesh out established characters and breathe life into the ones that weren't? Its not 25 hours of filler, more like 4-5 hours max.

I get to spend more time with the characters I love, and I get to enjoy more of the characters that were not given this care and attention 23 years ago. With an awesome combat system to boot.

I'll reply with this

So contrived puzzle obstacles, sidequests that make you backtrack all over the map and 200 move through the gap sections are fleshing out the world now?

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
People have had plenty of constructive debates about the game's flaws in the OT.

Some people might dismiss critiques, your confirmation bias is concentrating on them and painting the entire thread. Usual stuff on gaming side.
Oh for the love of....

The spoiler thread alone has over twenty thousand posts. I can't possibly give a 100% nuanced and complete view of every single discussion that's taken place in that thread. All I can give is a description of a major trend occurring over the past day or two.

But thank you for illustrating my point, you asshole.

Literally, you just drove by and called me a crazy moron because I posted something you didn't like. All in a wonderful condescending tone. And assholes like you wonder why forum discussions turn toxic. Guess what? The problem is you, asshole.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All the new stuff with the characters is pretty uninteresting IMO and not very inspired and the changes to the introduction of story elements + new story elements are all bad.
The original Midgar section is brisk and moves quickly, with just the right peaks and valleys, and it works because it's only the first 10 hours of a 45 hour game.

nothing they've added here is really that meaningful and the voice acting and way-over-the-too action sequences make for a lot of cringe.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I play plenty of 100+ hour JRPGs and FF7R annoyed me more than most of them in this regard. The game is constantly interrupted by slow walking, crawling, bad puzzles, stopping to listen to party members talk etc, and it just doesn't feel good to play when control is constantly being limited or taken away from you.

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for the love of....

The spoiler thread alone has over twenty thousand posts. I can't possibly give a 100% nuanced and complete view of every single discussion that's taken place in that thread. All I can give is a description of a major trend occurring over the past day or two.

Literally, you just drove by and called me a crazy moron because I posted something you didn't like. All in a wonderful condescending tone. And assholes like you wonder why forum discussions turn toxic. Guess what? The problem is you, asshole.

Get help.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an area in Sector 5 slums thats only accessible through a 10 second squeeze through an obstacle. Why is that in one of these open areas. I dreaded having to go in and out of it. None of these individual things are game ruining, but when it happens every chapter, multiple times, it really gets annoying.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I've got to say, I understand where you're coming from with chapters 5 and 6.

Chapter 4 was completely new but was actually fun and told us more about characters, but yeah 5 and 6 are not really fun. Other than that section I dont think it's a problem with the rest of the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh for the love of....

Sorry, but your post was the usual conformation bias nonsense we see on gaming side so often.

Oct 25, 2017
There were definitely a few parts that overstayed their welcome a bit.
Ch 17 dragged on the worst.
Ch 13 I liked content wise, but felt really dragged out storywise.
Ch 6 and 7 to a lesser extent too.

Overall, I though it was fine though. I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough despite some annoying padding.
The real chore was replaying chapters several times for the dresses, and needing to do Ch 9 several times for dresses and manuscripts.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Yeah I gave up around the same time. Probably more bloated games out there but I'd never play them voluntarily.

Should have been halft the length judging from the first 13 chapters.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for the FFXV was better than FF7R threads next tbh....because I'd probably agree. That one was also a mess, but I don't think I ever felt bored once playing that.
Probably a good choice. I wasn't as bothered by the (really obvious) padding as a lot of other people. But the way the game goes off the rails in the last few hours made me put the disk away and decide to just not play any of the coming instalments of the remake. I honestly feel it rivals Rise of the Skywalker when it comes to absurdly poor writing descisions in a popular series.
IDK, I'm pretty lenient on videogame stories being ridiculous. Already spoiled myself, and I don't mind it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I always assumed that both holding down the triangle button and the slow walking/crawling was to mask loading times. Does anyone know whether that's the case, because if not that would just be absurd.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The alternative is you get people complaining they are spending $60 for half a game.
I mean. a lot of $60 games are 10-20 hours.

the two recent Resident Evil clock in under 10.

guve me a brisk 20 hour RPG with high replay value and i will have a much better time than a 35 hoir RPG that feels like a chore for extended portions. Because I'm never going to replay this.

I'm ready for the FFXV was better than FF7R threads next tbh....because I'd kind of agree. That one was also a mess, but I don't think I ever felt bored once playing that.
No, FF15 is definitely worse. The combat is idiotic and the story is a chopped up mess largely divorced from the game itself.

the world itself is empty and bland. That's just as bad as corridors.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not wanting to read the same thing a million times isn't the same as not allowing people to have differing opinions.

And yet any time anyone goes into an OT with less than positive opinions, they get dogpiled. It's pretty abundantly clear that most Era fan communities are not interested in anyone "ruining the mood" for their new hotness game and get extremely defensive when their own personal confirmation bias is challenged by people who don't feel the same way as they do.

I'm not even talking about myself here, I typically don't post in OTs most of the time to begin with. But the reason people post threads like this in the first place is because they don't feel empowered to post negative or more critical opinions in OTs because the response to them will be hostile instead of welcoming.

I always assumed that both holding down the triangle button and the slow walking/crawling was to mask loading times. Does anyone know whether that's the case, because if not that would just be absurd.

Don't you have to hold down Triangle to give Aeris a high five at one point?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
You literally just said it was some of the worst padding you can add to a game that length. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Ok let me explain it to you in more detail:

Game has no real world exploration, besides the cities everything else is a long and boring corridor, this is a fact. This corridor is not fun to traverse, it's really sloooow to traverse because of constant interruptions like pressing a button for 2 seconds, watching Cloud slowing down because somebody talks, watching Cloud crawling under something or watching Cloud slowly walking through some narrow space.

This events happen all the time, and serve no other purpose than making going from A to B far more slower than it could have been otherwise, without offering any kind of relevant gameplay experience.

So yeah, it's padding , and it's really bad padding. If we consider that we will traversing some of the corridors multiple times to do sidequests or for story goals, it's even worse.

There's of course lots of other padding in the game, like all the dungeons being longer than ever (while being a corridor, the most exciting thing you'll do is taking a branching path to press a button and then return to the corridor again), so it feels that there's a lot of elements meant to make the game longer while not providing anything of interest to the player, which is what we cal padding.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
IDK, I'm pretty lenient on videogame stories being ridiculous. Already spoiled myself, and I don't mind it.

I guess I can understand that. I just didn't want Kingdom Hearts in my FF7, since it's one of few jrpgs that I actually still like the story in as an adult.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
So contrived puzzle obstacles, sidequests that make you backtrack all over the map and 200 move through the gap sections are fleshing out the world now?
This is disingenuous.

The Remake fleshes out all of the characters back stories far more. Jessie is the highlight in terms of added content, but even the main characters like Aerith are given far more depth that makes them feel like different characters compared to the original, and there is far more fleshing out of the Socio-Economic dynamic of Midgar (especially through NPC dialogue). In the Original it feels the Top Plate city doesn't exist, here you spend a reasonable amount of time there and you hear the dynamics of Topsiders and Grounders mixing and mingling due to the refugee crisis created by Avalanche's and Shinra's actions.

Are there certain dungeons that feel like filler? Yes certainly (the underground labs, Hojo labs and 2nd time in the Sewers come to mind). But I think they are few and far between overall. I personally love some of the fleshed out dungeons like the Abandoned Expressway and Train Graveyard. And my favourite dungeon in the whole game, the Sector 5 reactor Underplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.