• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
People talk about Nolan all the time, but I feel like his films are all majorly flawed, none are what I would call masterpieces.

Villeneuve on the other hand?

He can do sci-fi, action, drama...who knows what else? Comedy? Maybe, who knows?

Sicario to me is a perfect film, my favorite of the last decade. Prisoners is great, as is Blade Runner 2049. Dude has been making like a film each year for several years and not a stinker in the bunch. I admit I haven't seen Arrival yet, but I'm trusting it's good.

Am I wrong here? Is there a better more prolific director out there? Also, should I watch Arrival?

Bonus: do you think Dune will be any good?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
He's my favorite director working today by a mile. Though I don't know why studios keep giving him so much money when he can't put asses in the seats except for me and the handful of people I can drag with me.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's definitely one of the best.

And yes, watch Arrival already. It's fantastic.

OP
OP

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Alfonso Cuaron still gets my vote, but, yeah, Villeneuve is most certainly up there.

I admit my ignorance here, I don't know Cuaron's work. Will Google him

EDIT: okay yeah, Children of Men is great, as is Y Tu. Haven't seen most of his other films, but i see your point

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

It's the only one of his movies I've seen so far, myself, but I loved it.

tumblr_pf9v3tbanv1xgkyv6o2_250.gifv

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly when compared to other big-budget filmmakers.

Wish his movies did better though.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I like him, he's tremendously talented, but for some reason I become less and less excited with each new project that he's done as of late. Yes, he's a better director than Nolan, but I do like that Nolan can keep an element of surprise for his films by virtue of writing his own works, simultaneously a detriment since Nolan's writing is...his weaker component I'll say. A cool ideas man, though.

I'd throw my hat in the ring for Fincher as someone who certainly stands among Denis if not better.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is absolutely incredible!

He is absolutely not the best, even if there exists such a distinction.

(There doesn't.)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, he is excellent but I don't think anyone is the best. He seems to care about his films across the board unlike say Nolan who really doesn't show he cares about the whole thing or is good enough to pull it off but has some cool ideas.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it might still be Peter Jackson despite the Hobbit and King Kong. One day he is going to make the best movie ever...again.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
Agreed, he's been on a streak for a long time now and it's even more impressive when you factor in how quickly he makes them compared to other directors.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Best is strong wording, but he's leagues ahead of Nolan, that's for sure. I cannot for the life of me understand the adulation that man gets. He's a competent filmmaker, but certainly not an exceptional one.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Not for me. My problem with Denis is that I like his more straightforward thrillers but his sci-fi movies put me to sleep.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Certainly when compared to other big-budget filmmakers.

Wish his movies did better though.

Yeah, if you only look at movies with budgets over $100M, there's a strong case for Villeneuve. Parasite's probably the best movie to come out in the last decade, so I couldn't rate him over Bong Joon Ho overall though.

OP
OP

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Best is strong wording, but he's leagues ahead of Nolan, that's for sure. I cannot for the life of me understand the adulation that man gets. He's a competent filmmaker, but certainly not an exceptional one.

It honestly baffles me about Nolan. I feel like everyone sees something I don't.

OP
OP

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, if you only look at movies with budgets over $100M, there's a strong case for Villeneuve. Parasite's probably the best movie to come out in the last decade, so I couldn't rate him over Bong Joon Ho overall though.

I adored Parasite, although I adore Sicario more. I need to watch some more Bong Joon Ho films

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like prisoners
blade runner ok
enemy doodoo
arrival fine
sicario nice

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Boogie Nights is my #1 favorite movie of all time, but I don't love any thing PTA has done in quite awhile. I feel like he has some duds. When he's on though, yeah, total master of the craft.
Yeah, he's still way up there at the top for me. There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Phantom Thread are all masterclasses in filmmaking. Every shot is painterly.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I think it's PTA running away personally. Phantom Thread is one of his best, if anything he's only become a more interesting and distinct filmmaker with age. And being the writer on his projects puts him on another level for me as well. But I'm a Denis fan and thread has me wanting to check out Prisoners, been meaning to for a while.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
He's easily my favourite working director. Every one of his films I've seen - Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and BR2049 - is absolutely superb. I have very high hopes for Dune, whenever we get to see it.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Prisoners is legitimately horrible, cinematography excepted.

Godard, Scorsese, PTA, etc...

Not even close.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
He's been on a hell of a run, most definitely. I dunno if he's THE best working director, especially if you're looking at the sum of a person's career and not just the last decade, but you could absolutely make the argument for it.

I don't even really like BR2049, but Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival? Good god, that's a hot streak.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
He's extremely consistent, especially for someone making bigger budget movies.

There are plenty of other directors that aren't as consistent, but more interesting.

Also, Miyazaki will never actually retire.