• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
User banned (permanent): Toxic generalizations. Trolling. History of similar behavior.
444-HKq.jpg

Death Stranding is a game that's baffled gamers ever since living video game legend and auteur, Hideo Kojima, announced it years ago. Now that reviewers have finally managed to play it, the general consensus seems to be along the lines of "it's gorgeous but super weird and probably not for you".

Even if we go by the pretty-damn-good average review score of 83 on Metacritic, Death Stranding been a polarising game with very little middle ground to be found among reviewers as gameplay aspects lauded by a few critics were equally blasted by others.

But perhaps the biggest fuss kicked up over Death Stranding is the fan reaction. No not to the game itself but towards the game's reviews. Specifically, the negative reviews.

Hideo Kojima has built up something of a living video game god image thanks to nearly three decades of work on Metal Gear, which is one of the greatest video game series ever created. It's gotten to the point where negative press of anything he's done is seen as a massive slight.
Unhappy trolls and puffy-chested bros went out of their way to go after all the critics who dared to write something bad about their beloved Hideo Kojima, all while not seemingly not realising that critics are merely doing their job and reviews are subjective by nature.
There's no denying that Hideo Kojima is a video game wunderkind and no one other than him could've pulled off Metal Gear, but he isn't the infallible god many people hold him up to be. Just as he is capable of making a masterpiece, he is capable of making a dud. He is merely human after all and can make mistakes like the rest of us.

Yet the way clueless fans are going out of their way to slam reviewers for their negative opinion of Death Stranding is symptomatic of the cult-like mentality some folks have towards the man.
The biggest irony in this whole saga is that virtually none of the trolls and disgruntled fans have actually played a second of Death Stranding, which immediately renders all their whinging completely moot.
So rather than trolling critics for their negative Death Stranding reviews, how about accepting the fact that Hideo Kojima finally made a game that was something of a dud (relatively speaking) and not everyone will like it?
It's not the end of the world if he made a somewhat passable game as opposed to another masterpiece, just as how a few negative reviews shouldn't trigger such an intense reaction.

If your ego is so easily shattered by a 3.5 out of 10 review score, then you probably need to stop prioritising a game in which you carry a baby around with you 24/7 while lobbing piss grenades as the most important thing in your life.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Not sure we need another DS reviews review, and this has been discussed to death already. This is not really unique to DS either. Horizon, UC3, BotW all had crazy fan reaction.

Might just be identifying a human problem there buddy.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Era is like:

- Death Stranding looks nice
- You Kojima WORSHIPPER

Everyone should chill out, it's a game.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Its like suda or swery, people like their weird devs and say f the bad reviews you just dont understand the weird guy we love. Shouting at the crowds not going to do anything but hey to each their own?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I agree with the main thrust of your point, that people take the media that they consume, and other people's opinions on it, far too seriously. But it's not a problem that's exclusive to Hideo Kojima fans. Remember Zelda-Era's reaction to Jim Sterling giving Breath of the Wild a 7/10? Or how Naughty Dog stans reacted to Uncharted 3 not getting unanimously perfect praise? And in those instances the overreactions were to good reviews.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I mean, people on the other side of the scale are going on about review inflation and review bias and jumping on literally anything kojima says in a "bitch eating cracker" style. They arent much better.
In fact, calling those people "kojima worshippers" is a disgusting generalization

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This is a terrible terrible generalization of a fanbase and borders on projection of insecurity. If you don't like something or need to resort to calling out people en masse- than you should probably disengage.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not sure we need another DS reviews review, and this has been discussed to death already. This is not really unique to DS either. Horizon, UC3, BotW all had crazy fan reaction.

Might just be identifying a human problem there buddy.
It's not really a review thread it's more of a "can we stop calling developers gods" thread and stop being so damn over protective of them. It's a conversation that needs to be had.

Though that thread title will probably get this locked.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It goes both way, really. Lots of Kojima haters dancing on this 'event' too, questioning the 10 scores.

That said, I'm not sure if this topic will go in a good direction...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Btw, your OP is super aggressive for someone telling others to chill.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think a dud is a bit much, but the discourse around this game is the worst I've seen in years and everytime I try and share my thoughts on it I feel I'm stepping onto a minefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.