• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I agree games should not only be exclusively on Steam. The game was previously advertised to be released in 2019 on Steam, in addition of having holding it's beta access in the store, before witholding from the said store for a one year exclusivity contract.

Yeah, it's almost like business circumstances changed and new options presented themselves and Zen Studios chose to do something for the financial health of their business. Good thing every PC capable of running Steam is also capable of running EGS so no one has actually lost access to the game (except PS4 users).

Oct 25, 2017
I must have missed their emotional transformation from posting absurdist propaganda on the topic. Then again, GhostTrick still thinks people are being "forced" which casts doubt on that conclusion.

I guess you don't know the definition of "forced", which is understandable. I'd recommend polishing up on reading comprehension first, then perhaps going through any of the other topics regarding Epic's moves and reading through GhostTrick's posts in those as well as the hundreds of other ones that are far more informed than yourself. It'll do you some good, I promise!

so no one has actually lost access to the game (except PS4 users).

Factually incorrect, and again displays your ignorance on the subject. Other countries still have very badly implemented regional pricing if their country is supported at all, which can lead to users being unable to afford the game in those regions. At that, some regions such as China cannot even purchase games at all on EGL. I'm not aware if these devs planned on branching to other OS's, but if they did want to support Linux then EGL doesn't allow them to sell to Linux users because it doesn't have a Linux client.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
You also think Kitty's Adventure is not on ps4/switch because microsoft paid for it?
Paying for porting costs is also vastly different than "paying for it not to be on platform x/y"
Perhaps I should have said "I'm pretty sure the game is only on Xbox for now is due to MS monies"? I literally said they could have funded the porting cost.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Yeah, it's almost like business circumstances changed and new options presented themselves and Zen Studios chose to do something for the financial health of their business. Good thing every PC capable of running Steam is also capable of running EGS so no one has actually lost access to the game (except PS4 users).
Yep know one knows what the deal is and for all we know this deal could have saved the studio ! I literally don't care whatever a game is published, and I'm not sure why people get so up right about it.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
What about those whom are region locked from the store?
For me personally, I have an account on eight different storefronts on the PC, including the EGS.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No one has been forced to do anything. Not that your meme-level understanding of the situation contributes anything to the discussion.

Personnal attacks. Nice. I guess you gave up on the intellectual front then ?

You're right, technically, no one forces me to use Epic Store. I have the choice to buy Metro Exodus on the Epic Store or not buy Metro Exodus at all.
But let's be honest. It's as much of a choice as if I had a gun pointed at you and saying "Beat that person or I shoot you". I technically gave you a choice here. :-)

The reality though ? Instead of choosing where I buy my game, which I was able to do under Steam's monopoly, now I cant choose. Not being able to choose means you're being forced.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you're the kind of person who accept anything a big company tries to force onto you, and that's fair, I respect that.
If you're okay when a company makes you pay for a fictionnal online service using P2P online play that was free before or for microtransactions in a 60 bucks game, that's fine. But believe it or not, there are people who like to have a choice and who doesnt like to be forced to pay more for less.
It has nothing to do with a click away or losing their shit but just people who have respect for themselves and dont cherish a company but their own wallet.
When i see posts about conspiracy theories on how the mods at Era have been compromised in favor of Epic, people have officially lost their shit.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep know one knows what the deal is and for all we know this deal could have saved the studio ! I literally don't care whatever a game is published, and I'm not sure why people get so up right about it.
maybe it could have but with how they and the rest of the money hatted exclusives have been handled, where they were originally announced to be on Steam than taken off, none of the publishers or developers deserve the benefit of the doubt. Its anti consumer and dissapointing to be a fan of the studios that have pulled this.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'll pick it up on sale someday once its on steam. Looks interesting, loved might and magic so ill dig this I'm sure

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess you don't know the definition of "forced", which is understandable. I'd recommend polishing up on reading comprehension first, then perhaps going through any of the other topics regarding Epic's moves and reading through GhostTrick's posts in those as well as the hundreds of other ones that are far more informed than yourself. It'll do you some good, I promise!

Factually incorrect, and again displays your ignorance on the subject. Other countries still have very badly implemented regional pricing if their country is supported at all, which can lead to users being unable to afford the game in those regions. At that, some regions such as China cannot even purchase games at all on EGL. I'm not aware if these devs planned on branching to other OS's, but if they did want to support Linux then EGL doesn't allow them to sell to Linux users because it doesn't have a Linux client.

Here's the thing: your hypothetical, impoverished, linux exclusive, Chinese gamer, does not have a defacto right to buy anything and everything they want whenever they want. That's setting aside things like the common use of VPNs to undermine regional pricing structures, the existence of WINE which allows emulation of Windows games on Linux outside of Steam, and the fact that the EGS store is only a few weeks old and may not be at the op of China's bureaucratic priorities in terms of allowing access. So if your argument is basically that Epic isn't magic, I'll agree with you. I just don't equate that with being anti-consumer or anti-competitive.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: your hypothetical, impoverished, linux exclusive, Chinese gamer, does not have a defacto right to buy anything and everything they want whenever they want. That's setting aside things like the common use of VPNs to undermine regional pricing structures, the existence of WINE which allows emulation of Windows games on Linux outside of Steam, and the fact that the EGS store is only a few weeks old and may not be at the op of China's bureaucratic priorities in terms of allowing access. So if your argument is basically that Epic isn't magic, I'll agree with you. I just don't equate that with being anti-consumer or anti-competitive.

Ah okay, so "Fuck them, got mine." Had a feeling that would be coming from you. I know people personally who cannot buy games they want because they are exclusive to EGL and they live in China. There are people who have posted in these very topics stating how the pricing structure makes it not viable for them to buy a game they previously could when the game was available on Steam and key resellers that deal in their region and understand the economical situations there. These are not hypotheticals, they are people who actually exist that aren't you and I wish having no empathy was a bannable offense to start getting people to remember what it is. Epic has been doing business for decades, they aren't some upstart who is just getting their feel for the business. Are you actually that naive?

Ignore list it is, then.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

There, a simple picture, food for thoughts, about how anti-consumer that kind of moves are:
unknown.png

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's as much of a choice as if I had a gun pointed at you and saying "Beat that person or I shoot you". I technically gave you a choice here. :-)

Yeah, Deciding whether or not to buy a game from a different storefront is just like a depraved act of violence.

But thanks for reposting your totally pointless and misleading meme again.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Deciding whether or not to buy a game from a different storefront is just like a depraved act of violence.

It seems like you are unfamiliar with concepts such as "exemples" or "comparisons".
Also, how is it misleading ?
I'll help you to answer that with two questions:
-Can you choose between multiple stores on the left picture ?
-Can you choose between multiple stores on the right picture ?

Because if anything that "meme" demonstrates what you hate to recognize:
It's not a "click on a different icon".
It's a monopolistic tactic and an anti-consumer one.

Under Steam's monopoly, people have choice of the store, price, even the drm or not.
Under Epic's competition, they cant choose any.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay, so "Fuck them, got mine." Had a feeling that would be coming from you. I know people personally who cannot buy games they want because they are exclusive to EGL and they live in China. These are not hypotheticals, they are people who actually exist that aren't you and I wish having no empathy was a bannable offense to start getting people to remember what it is. Epic has been doing business for decades, they aren't some upstart who is just getting their feel for the business. Are you actually that naive?

Why does your empathy only apply to the people you imagine exist somewhere, and not for the people who actually make games for a living? Between the harm of losing your job because the margins were too tight and your game got lost in the Steam store, and the harm of maybe some people couldn't buy a thing they wanted as soon as they wanted, the former takes primacy for me.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why does your empathy only apply to the people you imagine exist somewhere, and not for the people who actually make games for a living? Between the harm of losing your job because the margins were too tight and your game got lost in the Steam store, and the harm of maybe some people couldn't buy a thing they wanted as soon as they wanted, the former takes primacy for me.

Here's the bigger picture for you:

Between the harm of releasing your game on a crowded store and the harm of not being allowed to release your game.

Which one takes primacy for you ?

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Like I get the concern over the exclusivity, to a degree. But it's coming in 2020. Who knows what the Steam/Epic/Windows landscape looks Like? Epic is being so aggressive, it's not like they aren't also going to invest in features for their store as well. They're not spending all this money to not go all in. Any PC exclusivity is way less of a big deal than console exclusivity. You can still buy/play it. You're just choosing not to. Choosing not to is a far cry from "can't."

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like you are unfamiliar with concepts such as "exemples" or "comparisons".
Also, how is it misleading ?
I'll help you to answer that with two questions:
-Can you choose between multiple stores on the left picture ?
-Can you choose between multiple stores on the right picture ?

Because if anything that "meme" demonstrates what you hate to recognize:
It's not a "click on a different icon".
It's a monopolistic tactic and an anti-consumer one.

Under Steam's monopoly, people have choice of the store, price, even the drm or not.
Under Epic's competition, they cant choose any.

What we know is that you like to present straw men, like the scenario you described, and the meme you love posting, but you are incapable of understanding that competition takes many forms, and does not, and has never, applied solely to price comparisons for a specific product.

EDIT: A third straw man for my collection!

Between the harm of releasing your game on a crowded store and the harm of not being allowed to release your game.

Here's another. Let me know if I should get a basket to hold all this straw!

It's funny that someone taking stance for Epic Games (40% owned by Tencent) is going all about fanboys about big corporations.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

You do a really great job of attacking the character of people without any basis in reality. If you read any of the other topics, you would know that I'm a game developer and have a lot of game developer friends in regions across the globe all who have varying economic situations that put pressure on them to have their games perform well. What Epic is doing is not going to help any of them. Epic wouldn't even entertain most of these games thanks to their decision to curate their store. Where's your empathy for those devs who would never make it to the EGL paradise in the first place? I don't just have empathy, I live that situation day to day.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What we know is that you like to present straw men, like the scenario you described, and the meme you love posting, but you are incapable of understanding that competition takes many forms, and does not, and has never, applied solely to price comparisons for a specific product.

It's not a scenario. It's just the actual state of the market.
Facts. Reality. None of your meme shenanigans or moving goalposts.

Forgive me if, as a customer, I see competition through the lense of, silly me, a customer.
Maybe I should do like you and see it through the lenses of a big corporations, in which I recognize has some advantage.
But I'm not an Epic Games Store investor.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): trolling, repeated personal attacks despite prior warning
You do a really great job of attacking the character of people without any basis in reality. If you read any of the other topics, you would know that I'm a game developer and have a lot of game developer friends in regions across the globe all who have varying economic situations that put pressure on them to have their games perform well. What Epic is doing is not going to help any of them. Epic wouldn't even entertain most of these games thanks to their decision to curate their store. Where's your empathy for those devs who would never make it to the EGL paradise in the first place? I don't just have empathy, I live that situation day to day.

How do you think they'll feel if the pressure being brought by Epic results in Valve caving to the pressure to offer better pay splits to every game maker? Seems like that will be a huge win for everyone involved, but not if we throttle the EGS in the crib because a bunch of fanboys shit their pants about not being able to buy a game on Steam.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, if you're arguing with a stupid troll you're wasting your time. Put them on ignore and let it go. The only way to make them go away is by not replying anymore.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How do you think they'll feel if the pressure being brought by Epic results in Valve caving to the pressure to offer better pay splits to every game maker? Seems like that will be a huge win for everyone involved, but not if we throttle the EGS in the crib because a bunch of fanboys shit their pants about not being able to buy a game on Steam.

Yes, fanboys because people dont want to pay more.
It's funny that someone taking stance for Epic Games (40% owned by Tencent) is going all about fanboys about big corporations.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a scenario. It's just the actual state of the market.
Facts. Reality. None of your meme shenanigans or moving goalposts.

Forgive me if, as a customer, I see competition through the lense of, silly me, a customer.
Maybe I should do like you and see it through the lenses of a big corporations, in which I recognize has some advantage.
But I'm not an Epic Games Store investor.

Me beating someone or being shot is the state of the market? Not in any way I can see.

I don't see the market through the eyes of huge corporations. That's what all the Steam stans are doing. News flash, Valve are the big bad in the world. They are obsessed with creating money out of nothing. That's their entire raison d'etre. I'm seeing the perspective of small devs trying to get by. I simply cannot understand why people are so dismissive of their concerns in favour of minor end user conveniences..

Nov 8, 2017

You started this discussion by making a broad sweeping statements about how people were just interpreting "attacks on Valves monopoly" as "attacks on themselves", then shifted gears into personal attacks. I would consider backing off on the hyper confrontational rhetoric. Forgetting the forum rules, it's just unpleasant.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Me beating someone or being shot is the state of the market? Not in any way I can see.

I don't see the market through the eyes of huge corporations. That's what all the Steam stans are doing. News flash, Valve are the big bad in the world. They are obsessed with creating money out of nothing. That's their entire raison d'etre. I'm seeing the perspective of small devs trying to get by. I simply cannot understand why people are so dismissive of their concerns in favour of minor end user conveniences..

Not you, the "meme" picture as you call it.
But as I said, it's expectes that you cant answer it. What can you say about facts ?
There's no way you can tell me: "Yes, the situation on the right is better for customers". That's why you keep dodging it and feeding your hate boner.

Also tell me, if Valve is making money out of doing nothing, then I guess Epic has no excuse to release a barebone client, right ?
Since "Valve has been making money doing nothing" it should be easy to match, heck, even surpass "doing nothing" ? :-)

You're seeing it through the eyes of a small dev ?
Alright, then answer my question you conveniently dodge:
What's the worst ? Releasing your game in a crowded market or being refused to release your game ? :-)

Also what you call a "minor" inconvenience is basically going from 15 stores selling a game to 1 store selling it.
I thought you were for competition ? :-)
You dont want devs to be able to releaqe games everywhere ?

Also, since you care about smaller devs, I take it you'll never buy a PS4 game anymore, right ? Since you want to make sure these indie devs see AS MUCH of your money as possible.
So you surely buy them in itch.io ?

Oct 25, 2017

They already have the capability of getting better cuts while still being on Steam. That "Meme" you keep quoting is actually quite essential to the way Valve encourages competitive pricing and developer friendly practices. When you sell a game on Steam, you're able to generate keys for your title completely free of charge. How those get to the customer and their money gets to you depends on what marketplaces you approach, but both the developer and the consumer are given choice in the matter. Epic offers neither. Devs can sell those Steam keys on storefronts that give them equal to if not better than the cut provided by Epic. That's been a thing since Valve started accepting third party games onto the service. Also, do you think this will force Sony to lower their cut too? 30% is the industry standard and while it's totally subject to change, it's very odd to me how Valve is the boogieman when it comes to the default percentage cut.

I was highly critical of Valve's move when they lowered their default cut for the big sellers, decreasing after a game makes over a certain threshold of profit. That should be across the board if it's available at all. But then, what happpens to the profit margins for the other marketplaces that deal in Steam keys? Surely they too would have to lower their margins in order to compete, and what happens when that starts to erode at their ability to grow their own services? There's no easy answer to the problem.

Last edited:

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
There, a simple picture, food for thoughts, about how anti-consumer that kind of moves are:
unknown.png
i doubt there will be people comenting this image as it completely shows how epic game store is avoiding competition.

You are missing the point. look at the picture and do tell me how many stores can i choose to buy metro exodus now?
Since there is only one store you are "forced" to buy there.
I hope i helped.
Like I get the concern over the exclusivity, to a degree. But it's coming in 2020. Who knows what the Steam/Epic/Windows landscape looks Like? Epic is being so aggressive, it's not like they aren't also going to invest in features for their store as well. They're not spending all this money to not go all in. Any PC exclusivity is way less of a big deal than console exclusivity. You can still buy/play it. You're just choosing not to. Choosing not to is a far cry from "can't."
Are you sure epic is going to invest in the store?
They have their launcher for how many year now? 2? and it still is barebones...
They had at the very least 1 year to develop their launcher and they chose not to. What guarantee do i have that they won't make the same choice for their store?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, can you imagine how embarrassed many of you would be if Epic rolled out regional pricing to a bunch more countries today?

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
No one has been forced to do anything. Not that your meme-level understanding of the situation contributes anything to the discussion.

Stop being condescending. GhostTrick has explained the situation quite a number of times to a large number of posters like yourself who are being obtuse. Your earlier sentiment about "Valve's monopoly" should reflect that it is yourself who precisely has a meme-level understanding.

Try looking in a fucking mirror before posting.

EDIT: and of course they've got banned before I said my piece, lol.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Well, congrats to the Operencia devs, can't blame them, I suppose - some up-front cash is always going to be a tempting alternative to running the gauntlet of a competitive market. The manner of the Steam 'departure' leaves a bad taste, though, which is unfortunate. In the money/reputation/good-will equation, I hope this works out for them in the long run.

In the bigger picture, I'm not sure why Epic didn't play a longer game with this, and put some/all of this moneyhat cash into developing the EGS platform first. If they'd come to the market with a far more fleshed-out client and service that could more legitimately (dare I say it) 'compete' with Steam, and couple that with their more dev/publisher-friendly percentage cut, then true competition would've occurred naturally - without the need for this PR shitshow and the dirty tricks, etc.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Because MS was somehow involved with this decision? What are you saying here?

Well yeah MS was somehow involved with the decision. I was just saying the statement was made by Mike Ybarra which is a little ironic as it was made the day before this announcement. Not implying anything, just the statement that was made.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

I feel like there needs to be a sticky thread explaining this, along with the various charts comparing Steam's features with the Epic Game Store's. It's getting old having to repeat this stuff in every Epic Store-related thread.

Nov 8, 2017
Well yeah MS was somehow involved with the decision. I was just saying the statement was made by Mike Ybarra which is a little ironic as it was made the day before this announcement. Not implying anything, just the statement that was made.

I don't think Ybarra said anything odd since Microsoft almost certainly had nothing to do with keeping the game off steam or other PC storefronts.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They only made a deal to get it on Xbox One and the Win10 store. Any platforms beyond that is up to the dev.
Not only that but Phil Spencer has gone on record about being against paying for exclusivity after what happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider. They're talking out of both sides of their mouths.
Spencer's quote was about platform exclusive DLC, which he admits Xbox has been guilty of in the past.
But on Microsoft's side, it sounds like you shouldn't expect these kinds of deals to happen on Xbox. "People always knock me on this; I've been on record... I don't love the idea or practice of us paying so other platforms can't play or use a certain gun in a game or do a certain level," he said. "I know I say that and, Xbox history--DLC exclusivity windows with Call of Duty--I understand the fingers are pointing right back to Xbox. I can only be who I am. It's not the best PR answer. But I don't like that."
For what it's worth, MS hasn't made one of those deals since losing CoD marketing.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Just searched for Epic on the forum and found this thread. I was really looking forward to playing this soon, so this fucking suuuuuucks.

But I'm fine waiting for the Steam release. Enough games to play that I'll just forget about this til next year.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Dont know if this is some sort of mistake, since the announced release date was March 29th, but the game is playable right now on the epic game store.