• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Can we stop just calculating figures based on 12% and 30% please. Differences in sales volume, Steam's variable cut, and Steam taking 0% from external keys all make such comparisons massively misleading.

I would even argue that some people here make such misleading arguments deliberately.

Anyway. This one fucking hurts. I was really looking forward to this after seeing it in the Kinda Funny Showcase. Oh well.
Don't forget about payoff requirements to influencers. That needs to be added to marketing costs and the cut.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Genuinely curious: what happens when Valve pays for Steam exclusivity? Do we get upset at that, or not because we like valve?

For the record I've purchased probably around 50+ Steam titles and 0 EGS stuff. I'm not an "Epic shill", but I really don't see the big deal.
We should get upset at that. However considering Epic started this bullshit and Valve has to respond, I don't know.

Taking high ground won't work if Epic flush with Fortnite and Tencent cash keeps moneyhatting.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely curious: what happens when Valve pays for Steam exclusivity? Do we get upset at that, or not because we like valve?

For the record I've purchased probably around 50+ Steam titles and 0 EGS stuff. I'm not an "Epic shill", but I really don't see the big deal.
You are asking answers for a scenario that hasn't happened yet. So you tell us your detailed reponse since it's your hypothetical.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we move on and talk about the actual game now?

It looks really good, old school first person dungeon crawler filled to the brim with puzzles etc. There's not too much like this out there at the moment and it looks like it's going to fill that gap quite nicely for me.

This is not an OT, this an Epic Store thread. You need to get your outrage on, son. Discuss the definition of competition, insult somebody, have fun!

Get with the programme.

I'm asking for the inevitable. If it's so easy to jump on evil megacorporation #1, why not evil megacorporation #2?
It's a shitty move no matter who pulls it. Unless it comes with free hats. Then it's OK.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the attempt at simplification but I'm good in math. Also those hypothetical numbers seem very....hypothetical. It's fine to have theories and opinions....but you are presenting theories as facts to support an opinion.

Question is the same. The split doesn't matter even though it's all about money?
it doesnt. That's why they are offering moneyhats to begin with. If the cut was enough, then it would be enough.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
I'm asking for the inevitable. If it's so easy to jump on evil megacorporation #1, why not evil megacorporation #2?

What is this? Preemtively accusing people of hypocrisy? What are you trying to accomplish other than creating drama? And yeah, usually the one who started some shitty thing gets the majority of the blame.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

What if Microsoft buys out both Valve and Epic, and forces everyone onto the windows 10 store?

You are assuming a scenario that hasn't occurred. That's kind of wild.

If it happens I would guess people would be upset about it.

Oct 26, 2017

It looks really good, old school first person dungeon crawler filled to the brim with puzzles etc. There's not too much like this out there at the moment and it looks like it's going to fill that gap quite nicely for me.

It's ironic, as this kind of game wouldn't have gone to have 7 pages of discussion on Era if it wasn't because the Epic news.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
It's ironic, as this kind of game wouldn't have gone to have 7 pages of discussion on Era if it wasn't because the Epic news.

To be honest it looks bland as can be, lots of other games have been doing the exact same thing in the last few years. This one won't be missed at all by me, I'm just worried they'll pull Pinball FX from Steam one day, that would hurt.

allansm

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, I did miss that. Didn't know it became a fact. Wish I was an insider like everyone else here. /s

From what I remember reading in a epic store topic a month or so ago (sorry I can't find the source :( ), the "moneyhatting" works this way: if Epic projects your game would sell a hundred thousand copies on PC in its first year, they pay the respective amount upfront for exclusivity. If you sell more on EGS, they pay you the difference. If you sell less, you get to keep the extra money. So it's a really good deal if you're not sure your game will succeed, no wonder so many devs accept it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
From what I remember reading in a epic store topic a month or so ago (sorry I can't find the source :( ), the "moneyhatting" works this way: if Epic projects your game would sell a hundred thousand copies on PC in its first year, they pay the respective amount upfront for exclusivity. If you sell more on EGS, they pay you the difference. If you sell less, you get to keep the extra money. So it's a really good deal if you're not sure your game will succeed, no wonder so many devs accept it.

That business deal makes sense. I'm sure that number of copies needs to go much higher if the Valve drops their split. Sounds similar to what Microsoft might be doing to get games on Game Pass.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
We get upset. Payed 3rd party exclusivity on PC is bullshit no matter who does it.
And I sure hope this doesn't start to happen as a responsive to Epic starting that shite.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

I really don't want to see Valve following suit in this shit because yeah, I would be pissed. I don't want this to become the norm.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Another developer who used Steam Features and then pulled game from Steam. Beta for this game was conducted on Steam. Also game was explicitly announced for Steam first

pGgHBxj.png
Whew. Not a good look at all.

2020 getting stacked
LMAO

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This is unintentionally hilarious. Think about the (few) poor souls who will have to choose between Epic's store and Microsoft's.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd get upset at that too. Complete fucking garbage practise that is a ridiculous waste of money. I'd rather they don't stoop to such shit lows and continue to use their money to actually improve their platform.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

That'd sucks. I want to be able to choose where I buy my game.
Btw, for the record: Valve bought Firewatch developer Campo Santo.
Firewatch is still sold on PS4/One/Switch and on other stores. In the Valley of Gods is still coming to consoles.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's curious; I am being pretty frugal about pc games since my steam backlog is huge, but it really feels like there's a new exclusive (or two) gone epic every single day.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017

Looks stunning! i havent even heard of this until today.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
It's an anti-consumer form of competition so it's no wonder why consumers don't favor it.
Yeah it is and it's understandable why people are up in arms about it. It's just people just commenting saying it isn't competing is what bothered me since it is. But I think at this point I'll step away from this since the more important thing is what people think of this practice and I don't want to derail it anymore by trying to get into the definition of competition.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
People are, by design, so thoroughly ensnared in Steam's ecosystem that they interpret any attack on Valve's monopoly as an attack on themselves.
Its funny because there will be no scenario where Steam goes away. Short of someone driving a dump truck fitted with an emp into every server farm its basically eternal. Even if it wasnt just a click of the mouse away and some kind of actual hardware console box would still never go away because people arent going to abandon their hundreds or even thousands of games. And yet despite the platform having no danger to existence people are still losing their shit.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny because there will be no scenario where Steam goes away. Short of someone driving a dump truck fitted with an emp into every server farm its basically eternal. Even if it wasnt just a click of the mouse away and some kind of actual hardware console box would still never go away because people arent going to abandon their hundreds or even thousands of games. And yet despite the platform having no danger to existence people are still losing their shit.

Maybe you're the kind of person who accept anything a big company tries to force onto you, and that's fair, I respect that.
If you're okay when a company makes you pay for a fictionnal online service using P2P online play that was free before or for microtransactions in a 60 bucks game, that's fine. But believe it or not, there are people who like to have a choice and who doesnt like to be forced to pay more for less.

It has nothing to do with a click away or losing their shit but just people who have respect for themselves and dont cherish a company but their own wallet.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all Greg Miller's fault:

Part of the issue isn't moneyhats

Steam/valve doesn't act like Microsoft and Sony. The console makers help publicize games, give then press and help them publish many times. Vavle just dumps your game to their crazy full store. From this post it looks like epic gave more than financial help and being on their less crowded store that is so small it doesn't yet have a search is a major thing for a smaller studio.

Oct 25, 2017
No one has been forced to do anything. Not that your meme-level understanding of the situation contributes anything to the discussion.

They've actually been one of the most studied and frequently engaged in the entire Epic/Valve issue over a half-dozen topics on the matter, but perhaps if you were here to post honestly you would know that.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
People are, by design, so thoroughly ensnared in Steam's ecosystem that they interpret any attack on Valve's monopoly as an attack on themselves.
Whilst I agree games should not only be exclusively on Steam. The game was previously advertised to be released in 2019 on Steam, in addition of having holding it's beta access in the store, before witholding from the said store for a one year exclusivity contract.
Even if unintentional, this move would have caused some uproar among those whom had previously purchased it from early acces or pre-order the product on their given platform and are now unable to purchase it until 2020.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Personal attack
I must have missed their emotional transformation from posting absurdist propaganda on the topic. Then again, GhostTrick still thinks people are being "forced" which casts doubt on that conclusion.