• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played too many games this year, but as a big card game fan Legends of Runeterra is my GOTY. Absolutely fantastic game that IMO blows the competition out of the water in terms of gameplay, presentation, support, and especially monetization. Unfortunately the game has barely gotten any recognition in general, it's weird to think that a spin-off of such a massive and enduringly popular multiplayer game would be slept on but that's what it feels like.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
ARl2UyT.png

I get it though, it's basically "just" Persona 5 + added content. But my god, that added content is so damn good.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Haven't played too many games this year, but as a big card game fan Legends of Runeterra is my GOTY. Absolutely fantastic game that IMO blows the competition out of the water in terms of gameplay, presentation, support, and especially monetization. Unfortunately the game has barely gotten any recognition in general, it's weird to think that a spin-off of such a massive and enduringly popular multiplayer game would be slept on but that's what it feels like.
So it blows out the competition in every way and is basically the perfect card game yet it barely gets recognition. What explains this contradiction?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Persona 5 must be the best received yet with the least end-of-year fanfare title that I've ever seen; released twice and doubly ignored when it comes to these lists.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't make much sense to me either, since they're both on the same level when it comes to remasters. THPS was on there for a while but was later removed. demon's wasn't there for a while after release, but was added after fans insisted.

"Earlier today, it was announced that the game Demons Souls is not considered for the OC Hall Of Fame. After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided to include it anyways."

Seriously, gameplay-wise DS is almost a 1:1 remake. What are these significant changes they talk about?

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
So it blows out the competition in every way and is basically the perfect card game yet it barely gets recognition. What explains this contradiction?

My guess is a combination of factors. The timing of the release didn't help, the CCG market is already super competitive with tons of games, and since card games are ones you have to invest time and money to keep a decent collection a lot of people aren't looking for another one. The game's not received a whole lot of marketing from Riot and hasn't been getting many Twitch viewers either. (Which is also due to a lot of factors) And another major thing is that I think the gameplay of LoR might not really work for some people. The game's very back and forth, which bothers some people as they like how games like Hearthstone works where you can just do your turn and then do whatever until your opponent takes their turn. It's also a bit more brutal on newcomers than other card games can be, it's very easy to get blown out by something you hadn't seen before. That being said Riot's working hard on adding in more single-player content and overall the game's one where you don't have to play vs other players to have fun with it.

The game has won various mobile game awards, so it's not being completely ignored by critics. But it's just not a game I see mentioned much. I think this video does a pretty good job at explaining why the game is good:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Persona 5 must be the best received yet with the least end-of-year fanfare title that I've ever seen; released twice and doubly ignored when it comes to these lists.

Royal is an enhanced re-release of a 2016 game. Those tend to not get as much attention as regular releases. I mean, even Demon's Souls has largely been ignored in these discussions because it's remake aspect is almost entirely visually. Unless a remake is like an up and down remake, ie RE2, most people don't give them as much attention as a fully original release. Not saying it as a good or bad thing, but pretty normal.

I don't really remember enough about when vanilla released, so not sure there. I feel like it was pretty fawned over though, tbh.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That's a great list of games! 2020 really delivered on that front.

Regarding the conversation around Hades, I loved my time with it, and it comes close to being a classic, but it unfortunately left me wanting once I reached the end game. The lack of biome and enemy diversity, secrets, run variations, and more interesting powerup combinations put it below The Binding of Isaac on my list of favorite rogue-lites.

I think it does a fantastic job weaving its wonderful narrative into the gameplay which is what has helped draw more people into a genre they otherwise wouldn't touch, but yeah, it falters a bit where it really matters for me when it comes to rogue-lites.

Regardless, it's still probably my second-favorite game of the year after TLoU2.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Demon's Souls being there but not Tony Hawks and Persona 5 Royal makes no sense, hell P5R has more new original content than both!

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
That's a great list of games! 2020 really delivered on that front.

Regarding the conversation around Hades, I loved my time with it, and it comes close to being a classic, but it unfortunately left me wanting once I reached the end game. The lack of biome and enemy diversity, secrets, run variations, and more interesting powerup combinations put it below The Binding of Isaac on my list of favorite rogue-lites.

I think it does a fantastic job weaving its wonderful narrative into the gameplay which is what has helped draw more people into a genre they otherwise wouldn't touch, but yeah, it falters a bit where it really matters for me when it comes to rogue-lites.

Regardless, it's stil probably my second-favorite game of the year after TLoU2.
Yeah i agree even if i also love Hades, the game really lack on diversity and secrets, this what make Isaac the best of the best.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I went to open critic to see this on the website and found a giant suspicious as fuck ad that follows me around asking me "what Q anon really is"

I ain't going to open critic no more.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Everything with 90+ is a remake, souped up rerelease l, sequel or franchise update save hades. Dreams is hanging out at 89 though.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was an amazing year!
I'm still mad at Sony for not including Dreams in all PS5s (or make it completely free on PSN). It has huge potential, but sadly it seems it didn't sell that good.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
It was an amazing year!
I'm still mad at Sony for not including Dreams in all PS5s (or make it completely free on PSN). It has huge potential, but sadly it seems it didn't sell that good.

I agree, Dreams seems destined for PS Plus.

I enjoy booting it up and seeing what's new every so often. Creation mode is just something I don't think I have time for right now. I did watch a video of one of the devs creating with the PS Move controllers...my hope is we eventually see a great version of Dreams with PSVR2. Creation mode in VR could have serious potential.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I can't stress enough how marvelous Hades is and that everyone should play it.

Yeah, at this point I don't know how to say it in a way that doesn't start annoying people. Loving something that is as popular as it is actually good; I had the same problem with Undertale and Hollow Knight. :)

yeah I heard that there was a huge batch of lower reviews for hades and then antifa threw them into a dumpster

Melissa Carone said she saw Metacritic staff crumpling and tossing away unfavorable reviews. I for one see no reason to doubt her.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Hades all day and.....god, it's just so wonderful. It absolutely deserves all the critical and user praise it's received.