• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with the year almost being over, let's look back at the 12 highest-scoring [new] games of 2020 according to opencritic:

screenshot2020-12-26atdj0s.png

please note that they don't include ports, remasters, enhanced/expanded re-releases, expansions or DLC in their yearly hall of fame.

here's the top 20 including all releases:
screenshot2020-12-26a2sj1x.png

last year's hall of fame:
www.resetera.com

OpenCritic's 2019 Hall of Fame

with the year almost being over, let's look back at the 12 highest-scoring games of 2019 according to opencritic: please note that they don't include ports, enhanced/expanded re-releases, expansions or DLC in their yearly hall of fame. EDIT: the list was updated on january 13th. EDIT: here's...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at this just earlier today lol. I check this out every so often throughout the year to see if anything should be on my radar. Still pleasantly surprised Hades ended up at the top (well if we ignore actual GOTY Persona 5 Royal).

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Review wise, Dreams is probably the most snubbed game for all these year end GOTY lists.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Royal deserves to be front and center on that Hall of Fame. Even if it is a re-release. Worth every damn hour.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Please also note that Hades average score is based on 109 reviews, TLoU Part II on 188 reviews.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Very happy to see Crusader Kings III on a GOTY list. Best game Paradox Interactive has made and in my opinion is the rpg of year even though it's a grand strategy game.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hades launched in early access December 2018. Still appearing on a lot of GotY lists though.
I think part of it is because Hades launched on Switch this year, which gave it a ton of attention and a new audience, whereas Dreams didn't launch on a new platform. Also, I just don't think Dreams resonated with all that many people, despite reviewing incredibly well and genuinely being a revolutionary creation tool. I guess most people just don't want something like it, unfortunately.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This has been a really good year of gaming for me. I still can't believe we got a new Half-Life game and it turned out really good. I remember people talking about how so and so talent left Valve and they probably couldn't make a good sp game anymore. I almost fell for it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 is only the second time that an indie game takes the top spot (since 2013 when opencritic started), the first being undertale in 2015.

...or this year has been going on for about 12 years.
well, that too

Hades launched in early access December 2018. Still appearing on a lot of GotY lists though.
i just meant that might be a reason why it feels like it's been out longer.
tbh hades EA was on EGS, it only blew up with the 1.0 release in september of this year.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Demon's Souls being eligible for the Hall of Fame but Tony Hawk's being excluded seems kinda silly. What's the difference?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls being eligible for the Hall of Fame but Tony Hawk's being excluded seems kinda silly. What's the difference?
it doesn't make much sense to me either, since they're both on the same level when it comes to remasters. THPS was on there for a while but was later removed. demon's wasn't there for a while after release, but was added after fans insisted.

Please also note that Hades average score is based on 109 reviews, TLoU Part II on 188 reviews.
...noted

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't make much sense to me either, since they're both on the same level when it comes to remasters. THPS was on there for a while but was later removed. demon's wasn't there for a while after release, but was added after fans insisted.

lmao
PlayStation fans + Souls fans

That's like a deadly combo

In all seriousness, both Demon's and Tony Hawk should be there.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
You know, people look down their nose at aggregate review scores... but that is a very nice looking list of games that rose to the top for the year.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I loved Hades but its like 5th for me this year. Its got the best aesthetic but I almost wish it wasn't a roguelite I hate luck of the draw builds.

If you give nectar to the gods they'll give you a keepsake that if equipped will make the next boon you encounter be from them. And since you can change your keepsake in every region that way you have good chances of having a build close to what you want.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you give nectar to the gods they'll give you a keepsake that if equipped will make the next boon you encounter be from them. And since you can change your keepsake in every region that way you have good chances of having a build close to what you want.
I know I have like a million hours in the game you still have a luck of the draw for what the God's will have. Its not even a major gripe just the drawback, for me, other than that easily among the best games I played this year.

Oct 25, 2017

Veiled attempt at start stirring shit in the thread.

...noted

"Passionate feedback". Embarrassing.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah this is weird. The way THPS 1+2 controls is a lot different compared to the originals. It's more like a heavier THUG. Isn't Demons Souls just a prettier game while keeping gameplay mostly identical to the original?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Fuck yeah Hades. And overall another great year for gaming, that top 10 is incredibly diverse. There's rogue-lite, flight sim, grand strategy, VR fps, 3ps, fps, action-rpg, metroidvania, game creation system and casual social sim.
You're right, way too many people ignored Hades. Should be the other way around.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why you would choose a number of entries that could enter instead of just allowing all video games above a certain score in. Sports hall of fames are already criticized and I guess they didn't learn anything from it.

Like, the lowest scored game there is an 88. Just allow everything 88 above in or something.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
That is a great list! My top 10 will mostly consist of games in this top 20, only with cyberpunk added to my list.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure why you would choose a number of entries that could enter instead of just allowing all video games above a certain score in. Sports hall of fames are already criticized and I guess they didn't learn anything from it.

Like, the lowest scored game there is an 88. Just allow everything 88 above in or something.
I mean, that's just as arbitrary cut off point? Possibly even more so.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Persona 5 Royal review thread is so much fun, especially for the final MC & OC score it got.

Compare it to some users who doubted the scores it'll get based on Japanese hands-on on this site & some comments on the early pages of that review thread.

6267a459193c34adc25ecc6cd801e9bc.gif

I had fun posting the amazing review scores for Royal in the review thread.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
The remake policy for this list is quite odd to be honest. They allow Demon's Souls yet they don't allow Xenoblade Chronicles DE. While obviously the visual difference is bigger in case of DS it is close to an 1:1 remake of the original.
Xenoblade while visually not so different also got a new engine and all characters and some places got new textures, the music was rearranged, new QoL features were implemented and a 10-20 hours long extra story was added (Future Connected).

I honestly would put only remakes to this list that touch the gameplay also heavily like FF VII or RE2. Either only those or everything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah Hades. And overall another great year for gaming, that top 10 is incredibly diverse. There's rogue-lite, flight sim, grand strategy, VR fps, 3ps, fps, action-rpg, metroidvania, game creation system and casual social sim.
yeah, the diversity is really amazing in the top 12.