• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why is Xbox Game Pass so Awesome?

• Because Phil Said So

Votes: 200 36.0%
  • Becase I said So

Votes: 154 27.7%
  • Because You Said So

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • See Results

Votes: 175 31.5%

• Total voters

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
OpenCritic just posted this to twitter, and I thought it was interesting. It's no secret that Xbox Game Pass has a lot of buzz surrounding it right now with games like Gears 5, Outer Worlds, and Afterparty all launching on the service day one, but according to OpenCritic, Xbox Game Pass has the most "Mighty" games out of any of the subscription services. This just speaks to the quality the service has been giving, and why so many adore it.

OpenCritic Rating System

Mighty
- 84 - 100
Strong - 75-83
Fair - 66 - 73
Weak - 0 - 65

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol and I was wondering what you meant by mighty.

It's a good thing I guess, for those that can get it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great selection. I like how they're not resorting to trash tier indies to boost numbers, instead they go almost exclusively for things that are either great or at least very unique.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass is insane value. I've spent more time on my Xbox this year than all the other years of the gen combined.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
True.
It has:
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Mighty Mouse
Mighty No. 9
Mighty Switch Force
The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot
Mighty Might Bostones: The Game

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Funny the line is still "play over 100 games" while its at 269 now. Guess over 100 sounds enough already.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Game Pass is an unimaginably good service. In 2013, I never would have believed something like Game Pass would exist, let alone in as great of a form as it does. I think Game Pass is so good that my only fear is that it will lose its luster over time as other companies attempt to mimic the strategy and piece out their software to their own services.

But I think what really makes Game Pass work is that its console-driven rather than publisher-driven and I have loved to see it grow.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
Touch of the fake news about this tweet.
PS Now has something like 700 odd games on it, probably a lot more higher rated than Gamepass.
But since Open Critic haven't been going too long the stats are skewed.
Gamepass is a pretty good service, I'm subbed myself, but I'm not sure it needs 5 daily threads.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
It's a common refrain around here that you have to lower your standards to enjoy Game Pass games though.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's a great deal and I have made great use it for Gears 5 (and Outer Worlds) on PC, but to be fair PSNow has like 4x more games, which would naturally bring the average down.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a common refrain around here that you have to lower your standards to enjoy Game Pass games though.
era hating on an MS service/game/product/etc?

giphy.gif

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's the best service going and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I'm in until 2022 for like ÂŁ50 a year. That's just one AAA purchase a year. I was going to buy halo on PC, halo infinite and gears 5 anyway. So basically already covered my buy in. I'm chuffed to bits I went for it on the gold deal.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Touch of the fake news about this tweet.
PS Now has something like 700 odd games on it, probably a lot more higher rated than Gamepass.
But since Open Critic haven't been going too long the stats are skewed.
Gamepass is a pretty good service, I'm subbed myself, but I'm not sure it needs 5 daily threads.

Open Critic is missing far more PSNow games. But even still... by their measure, it's not as far behind GamePass as some would have you believe.

And it has twice as many 90+ games as GamePass...

Release recency has an outsized effect on relative perception though, that's for sure. That's something PSNow needs to get better on.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is skewed considering PSNow has 800 games and a lot of them aren't even on Opencritic. It definitely shows that Gamepass is doing a lot better with recently released titles though.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Funny fact : PS Now has more "Mighty" games than GP.
Funny fact 2 : PS Now has more 90+ games than GP Ultimate, Uplay+ and EA Access Premier combined.
Funny fact 3 : PS Now has more games unrated on OpenCritic than GP Ultimate complete library, more than 200 titles unrated titles over GP complete library.

How do they even count GP Ultimate titles when you have to add Live Gold on it and those games are only monthly available ones ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
What other game subscriptions are there other than EA's service? Doesn't MS let you download the games too?

I'd love to know the comparison of Games with Gold and PS+

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

I was actually worried that subscribing to a service like Game Pass, would make me end up playing a lot of games of lower quality just because they're there, but the opposite has turned out to be true. There's always more great games available than I have time to play and in some ways it's even helped me cut down on the amount of lower quality games, because I just move on if something isn't good/appealing enough, not caring what I spent on it, because it's a part of the subscription anyways.

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since mighty only include games tracked by OpenCritic and the website is pretty young, I can see that being technically true.

It might lead to a false narrative though.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
User Warned: Thread whining, inflammatory accusations
Oh look, another GamePass ad on ERA.
And I thought I had adblock on.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I love Gamepass, it has saved me thousands of dollars a year from buying games. Hopefully Nintendo or Sony or both do something similar in the future.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What other game subscriptions are there other than EA's service? Doesn't MS let you download the games too?

I'd love to know the comparison of Games with Gold and PS+

PS Now? That's both a subscription service and a streaming service. Game Pass is only a subscription service, with no streaming.
EA Access and uPlay+ also are subscription only.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Funny fact 2 : PS Now has more 90+ games than GP Ultimate, Uplay+ and EA Access Premier combined.

How do they even count GP Ultimate titles when you have to add Live Gold on it and those games are only monthly available ones ?

even funnier fact. PS Now isn't available in my country. So fuck PS Now. Even if Gamepass wasn't great it would win by default.

OP
OP
JayWood2010

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

I guess PlayStation could try to release more new games. That would rectify that issue i suppose.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Seems kinda hard to quantify when PSNow has 485 unrated games. I don't expect a lot of those to be big, or even that good, but just browsing quick and they had the likes of Killzone 2 in there. I would've browsed further, but their pages got all funky for me and only showed 3 entries per page instead of 20.

GamePass is great, but this is a statistic based on a lot of missing data.