• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Over a year ago, fresh off releases such as Star Wars Battlefront II and Middle-earth: Shadow of War, we promised on Twitter that we would take a stand against loot boxes. While it's taken us a little while to actually implement these changes, we're proud to announce that we've finally introduced this new label.

Games that use "loot box" mechanics now have a prominent notification.

https://opencritic.com/articles/677/opencritic-now-flags-loot-box-mechanics

AFAIK Metacritic doesn't have anything like this, right?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wish Opencritic became the standard instead of Metacritic. Even more with Metacritic still handling that weird multiplier for reviews of big sites.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
we should be using Opencritic instead of Metacritic imo. Love those guys, this took a looong time. Glad it's finally here

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also segregating games based on platforms

And not including GamingBolt reviews which in of itself is complete fucking bullshit. GamingBolt is my favorite and only website that I visit more than once a day for reviews, previews, articles, news and rumors. Best of all, unlike all the other sites, there's no bullshit, just gaming.

As for Open Critic, I easily prefer them as well but I prefer the older layout than their new one. Don't like it at all.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Bravo.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is the correct thing to do. Good on them.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see how anyone would be upset by this. More information regarding a product is a good thing.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
That's awesome!
The more this trend gets exposed, the better.
We need to get rid of this crap. It's destroying people's lives.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
There was a site that's up to date with all games microtransactions forgot what's it called but these are good stuff for consumers to be more aware of

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. Odd that one of their criteria for something being a loot box is that the game needs to encourage your engagement with it. Obviously that's a problematic aspect as well, but to me it'd still be a loot box regardless.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at their 2018 Hall of Fame, none of those games even have loot boxes. You'd think publishers would learn by now, but I guess the money is too good to pass up.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The notification is a bit big, but I think it's important to call these out.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Opencritics website is so much nicer.

Actually, why isn't OpenCritic the standard on Era? It seems to be catered for gaming a lot more than Metacritic.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people praising OpenCritic & want them to successful, & I had no idea that they had Patreon & were running the site at a loss. If you really want to help them out, this may be the best way: https://www.patreon.com/OpenCritic