• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So wait, what happened? G-Man sent Alyx back and she saved Eli?
Forward. HL: Alyx happens 5 years before HL2 or its episodes. GMan presents a future situation, and a solution, and Alyx takes it, in return she now works for him and she's "in limbo" like Gordon was between HL1 and 2.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
not a fan honestly, that ending was a punch in the gut, I remeber it, more than a decade later, now it's nothing

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i thought that ending was great, sorry

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of retconning Eli's death, it cheapens the impact of the event and the notion that the next game will have a silent protagonist again isn't uplifting to me. If you're going to straight up retcon that story beat then there are an infinite number of more interesting directions to take it. I really wanted them to get Gordon out of the picture entirely.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the reason I watched it is because the ign review said the ending is so good and you'll understand why it had to be done in VR.
I don't understand that at all, no.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
So past Alyx found G-Man, he showed her the future, she changed it, got employed by G-Man, got put in limbo. How was she there throughout HL2? Or is the whole game retconned?

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
wait i'm confused here, bearing in mind that my memories of the previous games are fuzzy
  • it's 5 years before HL2 but Alyx is already looking for Gordon?
  • If HL:A Alyx is recruited by the G-Man 5 years before Half-Life 2, does she not remember any of that?
  • Why would Alyx only disappear (relative to Gordon and Dr. Vance) after she alters the Episode 2 ending?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
wait i'm confused here, bearing in mind that my memories of the previous games are fuzzy
  • If HL:A Alyx is recruited by the G-Man 5 years before Half-Life 2, does she not remember any of that?
  • Why would Alyx only disappear (relative to Gordon and Dr. Vance) after she alters the Episode 2 ending?
because time travel sucks and never makes sense

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
A thing that makes me disappointed in Gman's speech (although this might just be him lying to Alyx), is about the lack of suitable replacement for Freeman:
HL1 implies there's other guys like him, and I guess this also means Shepard is just forgotten forever.
As said before, it's a "deal with the devil" kind of thing.
He allows her to change the future, rewrites her memory, then when it happens, time paradox, Alyx disappears.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the reason I watched it is because the ign review said the ending is so good and you'll understand why it had to be done in VR.
I don't understand that at all, no.
Pretty sure by "ending" they meant the last few chapters. Seems like a lot of reviewers are singling out the last 2-3 hours.

Remember that they're talking about gameplay. Not story.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
They seriously said this?
sorry it's the gamespot review
the quote is
"all pales in comparison to the final hour, when half life: alyx solidifies itself as the boldest the series has ever been.
the very concept of VR becomes the core narrative device. your hands and by extension alyx' actions are fundamental to the delivery of it's monumental moment."

maybe there is more to the final hour than this and the video in the OP is not the "monumental moment" this quote is about

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

I'm at work, but hopefully someone can link it. Basically, Marc Laidlaw the lead writer on the HL franchise wrote a whole "farewell letter" upon leaving Valve that was also a not so subtle summary of the plot of HL3 and its ending as he worked on it. It's perfectly Half-Life.

EDIT:

Here it is:

Epistle 3 - Marc Laidlaw

Dearest Playa, I hope this letter finds you well. I can hear your complaint already, “Gertie Fremont, we have not heard from you in ages!” Well, if you care to hear excuses, I have plenty, the greatest of them being I’ve been in other dimensions and whatnot, unable to reach you by the usual […]

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
He allows her to change the future, rewrites her memory, then when it happens, time paradox, Alyx disappears.
you're inferring a bunch of stuff that isn't depicted in that ending at all

idk, maybe it's supposed to be confusing and will be clarified in a future game, but i'm not really impressed

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Not thrilled about Eli's revival tbh. It's nice to let deaths stick sometimes, especially when they have this much meaning

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I freaking loved it

Episode 2 ending was weak, imho.

Alyx dad died, but there was nothing to make you excited about what comes next.
People think fondly of it because well, it was the last thing we had in 13 years.

But changing the timeline and going to rescue Alyx is a much more exciting scenario

And that execution, with you getting the crowbar with you OWN VR HANDS is just *chef kiss*

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Really shitty of official outlets to post that imo, they don't post videos of endings for other major AAA games they reveal because "whynotlolz.jpeg".

That ending is super hype tho, shame about it being VR. Great for VR when it comes to killer apps, but for someone who has absolute no interest to get VR gear it's disappointing as HL was major IP for me growing up.

Also I don't think time travel is a can they should've opened.

That can has been open since Half-Life 1.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Eli is very important to the war against the combine, his death was too tragic imo and it didn't give much hope for their fight.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like when Jon Snow died in the season 5 finale of Game of Thrones, and then when Season 6 started they cheaply resurrected him like 2 episodes later.

Except in this scenario it's more like if Season 6 had taken 13 years to make.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A thing that makes me disappointed in Gman's speech (although this might just be him lying to Alyx), is about the lack of suitable replacement for Freeman:
HL1 implies there's other guys like him, and I guess this also means Shepard is just forgotten forever.

I guess Shepard is just going to remain in limbo forever.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Valve didn't give press any rules on spoiling. But I'll go ahead and say it: this race to the bottom of F1RST POST!!!!111 is fucking garbage in HL:A's case. The more you know about the ending, the more it spoils the game's general progression.

I would advise OP or mods to change subject to include "open spoilers."

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
very concept of VR becomes the core narrative device.

Well that is just straight up Hyperbolic Bullshit.

Like... sure, it seems a fine, fun game. I would love to play it myself... but holy crap it's going to be fucking annoying to deal with "Half Life will save gaming" Journalism if it starts like this.

It seems like a fantastic VR game, but the impact of the game itself and it's narrative would be the same in non VR space.

Seriously, what the fuck... i saw nothing in that video not done before or in non-vr games. Sure, it's pretty and well done... but a cake is still a cake and this cake is a lie.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
So it is basically season two (three?) of The Flash?

HL2 is the original timeline where JD's Brother went back in time and framed Barry's dad for shanking his mom. Then Barry went back in time to prevent JD's Brother from doing it and started a new timeline. And THEN they went back in time and let him do it to start a third?

Except it is Gordon, Alyx, and then probably Shephard or Barney.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
This doesn't surprise me. HL2 retconed HL one's ending after all.
It's a series tradition at this point.

Half-Life 2 changed Half-Life's ending. Episode 1 changed Half-Life 2's ending. Episode 2... was entirely straightforward, you black out in a train crash and wake up in the rubble of a train crash. And now Alyx changes the ending of Episode 2.

Also Portal 2 changed the ending of Portal.

Honestly, a bigger twist in Half-Life at this point would be a game that doesn't change the previous one.

tuhi009

May 1, 2018
fans have been speculating for years that Alyx and G-man have a connection. And they were right.

G-man once said that he lost direct control over Gordon. But he has other means. Alyx is that other "means".

just search "Alyx and Gman speculation". you will see threads from 2006

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I am absolutely fine with this ending. ppl cling to story details far too much imo. I am personally just glad that half-life is back and we are def gonna get either a sequel to ep2, or HL:alyx. I find it hard to see valve go back to traditional games after the incredible experience that is HL:Alyx this but who knows.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
you're inferring a bunch of stuff that isn't depicted in that ending at all

idk, maybe it's supposed to be confusing and will be clarified in a future game, but i'm not really impressed
If you've played HL2 episode 2 (which Valve recommended to play before HL Alyx), you see that it's not inferred at all.
It's not exactly retconned, it's slightly changing the ending, just like HL2 episode 1 did.

Alyx taking her head in her hands and saying "unforeseen consequences" happen in Ep2, and she doesn't understand why.
People back then thought that was due to HL1 events (Alyx was a kid at that time), but now we know why.
Valve didn't give press any rules on spoiling. But I'll go ahead and say it: this race to the bottom of F1RST POST!!!!111 is fucking garbage in HL:A's case. The more you know about the ending, the more it spoils the game's general progression.

I've put spoiler and ending in the title, and avoided saying what happens in the title and the OP openly.
If someone gets in this thread and doesn't expect spoilers, I'm not sure what to say.

But yeah I agree that the press shouldn't have rushed to have that published.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

shrug. the game is out and it's fair play to talk about the ending, especially since it's been so long and there are probably a lot of curious fans without access to a VR setup right now.

as long as people/websites aren't actively going out of their way to ruin it for people who don't want to see stuff yet (obviously it sucks ass to get stuff spoiled in youtube thumbnails, titles etc) i don't see why there should be a moratorium on talking about the ending.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think many people here is able to play it, if they were, they wouldn't be here. I know I checked the ending because I don't have VR, so I won't be able to play the game, yet I'm highly interested in the story.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've put spoiler and ending in the title, and avoided saying what happens in the title and the OP openly.
If someone gets in this thread and doesn't expect spoilers, I'm not sure what to say.

No shade on you, I get it.

I don't think many people here is able to play it, if they were, they wouldn't be here. I know I checked the ending because I don't have VR, so I won't be able to play the game, yet I'm highly interested in the story.

I'm planning on an "I'm never getting any fucking VR system, so what happened" article for later in the week. Based on my experience reviewing and beating the game, I think there is a better way to convey the major takeaways than fast forwarding to the ending.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever gone to immediately look up spoilers for a game when it released, but with this one my curiosity is just too immense. If I had the opportunity to play it I definitely would, but since everybody fucked up and there are no VR headsets to purchase I can't even consider that either.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it hits consoles. I know I'll probably get some people who will get mad at this but I'd rather it not be VR, or at least have a version that's not VR.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Eli is very important to the war against the combine, his death was too tragic imo and it didn't give much hope for their fight.

I mean, the point is that there is no hope. Laidlaw's HL3 script makes that clear. What we've seen of the Combine is just a small blip of the true extent of their reach. They can't be beaten, but perhaps you can delay the inevitable for a time and have everyone live in ignorance.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
This almost uncomfortably reminds me of One More Day, in which a deal with the devil is made to save an elderly parent figure and continuity is altered as a result. I guess it's partially better because G-Man isn't literally a cartoon devil like Mephisto and Alyx doesn't know how sinister he is (she actually seems very oddly chill with this godlike weirdo appearing, but there could be context I'm missing).

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I mean, the point is that there is no hope. Laidlaw's HL3 script makes that clear. What we've seen of the Combine is just a small blip of the true extent of their reach. They can't be beaten, but perhaps you can delay the inevitable for a time and have everyone live in ignorance.
We still need to see how the Borealis gets in the picture, if they can somehow reverse the invasion it's not all for nothing. but Eli needs to live for that to happen.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man - I'll probably never get to play this unless it comes to consoles but that's crazy that they addressed the Episode 2 ending after all these years.