• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Sure, not at all...

D571-FA1-A-0-C37-4-CC0-B694-4-C45-DAFB1462.jpg

Guess I just expected more than just needing to be combed.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Can someone explain why the bells trigger Dany? I don't get it.

I think details like this are where leaks fail because they lose nuance of the scenes.

It's likely bells will be going off throughout the entire raid on KL, because that's when bells are rang (city under attack). Ramin will no doubt incorporate these heavily into his score, like a beating metronome of dread for the battle. I don't think they will be what specifically makes Dany snap but rather the bells time up with her "losing it" as one of the last shots.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Dany's hair being messy CONFIRMS she's going Mad!!! /s

But really she was probably relying on Missandei doing her hair all this time and Tyrion is probably not great at braiding it lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I think details like this are where leaks fail because they lose nuance of the scenes.

It's likely bells will be going off throughout the entire raid on KL, because that's when bells are rang (city under attack). Ramin will no doubt incorporate these heavily into his score, like a beating metronome of dread for the battle. I don't think they will be what specifically makes Dany snap but rather the bells time up with her "losing it" as one of the last shots.
Thank you, that's excactly how I feel about this. The bells will serve as some "artistic" device to underline Dany's descent into madness.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
ep 5 is still Sapochnik (and it's plain day) so at least it should be cool
brace for ep6 written and directed by Dumbbell & Dumbbell

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that infamous copypasta about D&D's writing of Stannis ("He's even making the women and children pay the iron price," "Rhllor hungers!", etc) perfectly fits what they're doing to Dany.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I always felt that fAegon would've died very anti-climatically in GRRM-fashion. Like in the assault on KL, he insists on leading the charge and gets killed by a random arrow to the face or something.

I think the fan base downplays Aegon too much and believing he not real Aegon. It be way more interesting if he is real Aegon then Dany has someone to get jealous over and struggle with her entitlement

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Cersei loses to FAegon

she tries to burn the city

then she is killed by a miserable Jaime who recently had to deal with lady stone heart, see brienne die, and probs be forced to help with the second red wedding

after this Jaime decides to go to the wall and he will become the 1000th lord commander of the night's watch

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Speaking of fAegon, I don't think he's an endgame character in the books. He's being hyped up only to have a very anticlimactic demise in the end, possibly getting brutalized by Dany.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely where I could see the books ending up, but you know, in a way that's cohesive and logical.

I'm down with the theory that the endgames are reversed in the show, i.e. in the books Dany will accidentally end up blowing up King's Landing due to wildfire + dragonfire and will atone by helping fight the Others and maybe die heroically in the process.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I also question the bells being used as Surrender in the leak because that doesnt really exist in the canon

Quote from Varys: "I've always hated bells. They ring for horror, a dead king, a city under siege".

They'll probably mention early in the episode that bells means surrender and consider that an adequate setup.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Speaking of fAegon, I don't think he's an endgame character in the books. He's being hyped up only to have a very anticlimactic demise in the end, possibly getting brutalized by Dany.
He is not endgame but he's a crucual aspect of getting dany there which the show really did need

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
holy fuck

is THIS the 3rd Big WTF related to the faceless men??

No.

Unless you're willing to believe that the Waif:

- killed the Freys (in order to stay in character for Arya)
- hung out at the Inn at the Crossroads with Hot Pie (in order to stay in character for Arya)
- was headed to KL, but decided to turn around and head to WF upon hearing Jon/Sansa had retaken it (in order to stay in character for Arya)
- was spared by Nymeria and pack, who were ready to eat her, because Nymeria was fooled by someone else wearing a mask.
- Boned Gendry (in order to stay in character for Arya)
- Also fooled Mellisendre, a powerful red priestess
- Killed the NK and became the hero of Winterfell
- Decided to travel to KL with the Mountain (in order to stay in character for Arya)

I mean, how much disbelief can one person actually suspend, and for how long? Arya being dead since S6 and being impersonated by the Waif the whole intervening time would be a bigger slap in the face than any of the leaks angering people in this thread. Dany could become the mad hatter and force the residents of KL to eat her baked poop while smoking crack and jazzercising and it still wouldn't be as ridiculous as this.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's absolutely where I could see the books ending up, but you know, in a way that's cohesive and logical.

I mean we knew since S5/6 we were just going to race to the ending. Hell, last season just said fuck all the pretense regarding that lol.

I guess we could have gotten another character episode between 4 & 5 to delve on the emotional impact of losing Rhaegal and Missandei and to prepare for the war, but like let's be real, people would hate the ending we are probably getting no matter how much they try to build it up. And so many in here thought Ep2 was the best ep of the season (myself included) while you got plenty of show-only people calling it a waste of time and boring. In many ways, there was no win for D&D no matter how this was ending.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

- hung out at the Inn at the Crossroads with Hot Pie (in order to stay in character for Arya)
- was headed to KL, but decided to turn around and head to WF upon hearing Jon/Sansa had retaken it (in order to stay in character for Arya)
- was spared by Nymeria and pack, who were ready to eat her, because Nymeria was fooled by someone else wearing a mask.
- Decided to travel to KL with the Mountain (in order to stay in character for Arya)

I mean, how much disbelief can one person actually suspend, and for how long? Arya being dead since S6 and being impersonated by the Waif the whole intervening time would be a bigger slap in the face than any of the leaks angering people in this thread. Dany could become the mad hatter and force the residents of KL to eat her baked poop while smoking crack and jazzercising and it still wouldn't be as ridiculous as this.
this seems better than mad dany theory

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't understand people who are upset at the possibility of Dany becoming mad.
hasn't this been like the top theory of what happens since GRRM said the ending would be bittersweet?
how boring and unlike ASOIAF would it be if she ended up the queen and hero?
how often have people said she needs good advisors to keep her from doing the worst things?
I have been a Dany stan since season 1 and I absolutely want this to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
We just going to ignore that he was consistently at odds with her last season and starting two seasons ago has increasingly questioned her motivations? The difference between season 1 Jaime and season 7 Jaime is pretty obvious.
When he stuck with her after she blew up the Sept and their son killed himself is the point where his character became a farce. If he wasn't going to turn against her after that and just carried on for most of season 7 as he was he hardly seems likely to turn against her at all.
I feel that something's got to happen with Jon Connington's grey scale. If Aegon doesn't catch it, it's got to start a new plague or something.

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Am I the only one that finds this to he an incredibly lame ending? Seems like such a cheesy way to make a callback to the book title.

Guess it's all in the execution if true.

That's an incredibly strange criticism. If GRRM planned a story about "ice and fire," e.g. the Starks and Targaryens and more specifically Jon and Dany being destined in this way, it's not a "cheesy callback" to the title of the series, it's that he named the series after what it's about. That's just how fiction works.

Bronn turning to the camera at the end and saying, "Boy, this really is A Song of Ice and Fire," with a smirk at the end is a cheesy callback.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He is not endgame but he's a crucual aspect of getting dany there which the show really did need
he is the 2nd act

which is funny how this series is suppose to be 7 books

wins of winter is the rise of FAegon and dany wrapping up essos

they won't even meet until the 7th book

And the second dance of dragons will start in the 7th book and require 2 books

then the others would need atleast one book

but the 1st act being 3 books

then the 2nd act 5 books

it be really anticlimactic for the 3rd act to be only 1 book

so 10 books is what it take to wrap of ice and fire

sadly we won't get to the final book. no matter what

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
No.

Allow me to steal from a reddit shitpost to respond to that:

Hear me out all the way before you disagree:

It would be a shocking twist if she turned out to have been the Waif all along. It would make us question everything we've seen so far and reframe the narrative, as well as the true might of the Faceless Men. It would explain why Arya survived the sewer, her scene with Nymeria, and even the confrontation with the Night King. Maybe they took advantage of Arya's connections to Westeros to use her face when killing Cersei for defaulting on a debt with the iron bank.

"But," you might protest, "what about the fact that it doesn't make any fucking sense? Like, at fucking all."

You'd be correct. Unless the Waif was fucking Christian Bale as far as method acting goes, literally nothing about her interaction with the Freys would make sense. Also Cersei paid her debt off. And there's a thousand of things that look, if not impossible, improbable enough to stretch the limits of believability if this turned out to be correct.

So what could possibly make this theory valid?

I give you Euron.

Much like book Euron was a pirate wizard capable of using ancient magic to achieve the darkest of deeds, show Euron is capable of achieving anything he wants by the power of "It's super fine tho the script says so." Could this ancient power have been what Euron found in the ruins of Valyria? Perhaps. And we all know how the ancient Empire is connected to the Faceless Men. Therefore, I believe the Waif also has access to this weapon(1).

Therefore, much like Euron was capable of stealth approaching a dragon, somehow having sight on her while she couldn't do the same from a fucking dragon which defies the laws of physics(2) with the power of the ancient Valyrian "It's super fine tho the script says so" I believe the Waif could do the same. The requirements for this ancient spell to be activated seem to involve the act being shocking and look really cool for a split second so long as you don't think about it.

Given this, I believe that Arya will be revealed as being the Waif all along. On top of that, Jaqen will be Syrio, and there will be some vague measure of "Well, but are they? Is anyone really anyone?" tossed in because it's vaguely philosophical, seemingly deep and therefore acceptable. While there is plenty of evidence to make this reveal questionable at best and not much would be gained narratively from this - if anything much would be lost - it would, indeed, be surprising. Thus I position that the ancient power of "no shut up it's fine tho" will be used.

I conclude that there is no way that Arya cannot be the Waif, unless enough of us predict it, making it no longer shocking and therefore robbing the writing staff of its power.

References:

(1) We have flowered in Braavos amongst these northern fogs, but we first took root in Valyria, amongst the wretched slaves who toiled in the deep mines beneath the Fourteen Flames that lit the Freehold's nights of old. George R. R. Martin. A Feast For Crows (Kindle Locations 6475-6476). Random House Publishing Group.

(2) Euron's huge fucking ballista, https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/blfo4p/spoilers_main_ballistae_physics/

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
That's an incredibly strange criticism. If GRRM planned a story about "ice and fire," e.g. the Starks and Targaryens and more specifically Jon and Dany being destined in this way, it's not a "cheesy callback" to the title of the series, it's that he named the series after what it's about. That's just how fiction works.

Bronn turning to the camera at the end and saying, "Boy, this really is A Song of Ice and Fire," with a smirk at the end is a cheesy callback.
You know Arya, we really are the last Starks.

Status
Not open for further replies.