• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the inside the episode. The context is that Cersei and euron have been preparing for the dragons ever since they went north, and that Daenarys has been preoccupied fighting the night king. They dont mean that she literally forgot about the iron fleet existing.

Those scorpions are far more advanced than the one Bronn shot.

Now that obviously doesnt excuse eurons stealth ships.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I probably but read too much Dune but Bran becoming the God-King of Westeros and immortalizing himself in the Godswood of the Red Keep is something I'm into. The Starks "win" their War of the Roses, but in the most tragic and grotesque way possible.

One of the repeated mantras in Westeros is

"One God, One King, One Realm!"

God-King Brandon Stark the ReBuilder

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next week one GoT theories "Bran is sitting all of the time, all he does is sit and suggest what people should do and watch them doing it. It all makes sense now that he sits the iron throne. It was all teased throughout the seasons."

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
A bit strange that we haven't gotten more time shenanigans with Bran. Was Hodor really just the big payoff to that? Obviously that's would probably scare him enough to not do it again, but that aspect of 3ER has been largely forgotten about.

Oct 25, 2017
It;ll be funny if the burning of King's Landing really is what's meant to turn the audience against Dany. Right now the general reaction from my social circle and the people I follow on Twitter can be summed up as "Burn that city to the fucking ground."

Lol, that's what I was thinking. I wonder if the shows portrayl of Dany will blowback if viewers are mostly behind her and folks start hating on Jon for killing her.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A bit strange that we haven't gotten more time shenanigans with Bran. Was Hodor really just the big payoff to that? Obviously that's would probably scare him enough to not do it again, but that aspect of 3ER has been largely forgotten about.

"the ink is already dry"

so the only things that could happen are things that already have, just it being bran behind the cause (like with Hodor).

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jon taking the black after killing Dany makes sense. Tormund, Ghost and the wildings are at Castle Black. Tormund also said that's where Jon belongs.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. The guy has been in non stop major battles for years now. I think by the end of all this he just wants to be away from it all.

He will have the 2 people he loved both dying in his arms, eveyone around him will "play the game of thrones" with him. He wants none of it and will just fuck off to the Night's Watch. His home.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. This is the biggest thing all of the actors have going for them. Money the show earns means there's plenty to keep them around.

2. If everything is trending upward, why would you go along with some bullshit 2 short season plan to end things? You're really going to tell me that another 10-20 episodes on top of what we are getting would break things?

Letting D&D finish things out half-assed when they've got 1 foot out the door already is incredibly dumb on HBO's part.

How many seasons did you want? 10?
The discussion is 10 times dumber than the show. 80 percent of the posts are like copypastas of the hot takes after any given episode in Season 7. Back at the old place there was actually some level of balance when there was the book only thread and show only thread, now the people who love the show have been driven out completely.

I'd love to have interesting discussion with people who are enjoying this season but all they ever post is "That was great!" "Why do people who hate the show still watch it?!" There is never any rebuttal to the actual criticism or solid reasoning given why the season ISN'T bad, so yeah makes sense why they aren't much a part of the current discussion.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is the Nights Watch new duty btw?
Look at a hole in the wall and do not bother the Freefolk now that they are all allies? The Wildlings do not even want to live in the "south" and if they did: Jon said it's okay.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ghost (wolf) is apparently filmed in Canada separate from the other actors, they just composite Ghost into the shots afterwards, that's why Jon doesn't pet him because they shot his coverage months apart in Europe then the cut to Ghost is shot in Canada against a green screen.

It's probably too much of a pain to have a wolf on set and then have the special effects people have to scale the wolf up in scenes with actors, easier just to shoot a single wolf on a green screen and then scale the size up apart from everything else.

But that's why Jon doesn't "pet" Ghost. Technical issue. All the shots you see of Ghost are shot afterwards in Canada and not with the actors.
Luckily they have real dragons in Europe for Dany to pet

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tywin knew who would be king all along.

Tywin: Yes. Strength. King Robert was strong. He won the rebellion and crushed the Targaryen Dynasty. And he attended three small council meetings in seventeen years. He spent his time whoring, and hunting and drinking... until the last two killed him. So, we have a man who starves himself to death; a man who lets his own brother murder him; and a man who thinks that winning and ruling are the same thing. What do they all lack?

Tommen: Wisdom!

Tywin: Yes!

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It;ll be funny if the burning of King's Landing really is what's meant to turn the audience against Dany. Right now the general reaction from my social circle and the people I follow on Twitter can be summed up as "Burn that city to the fucking ground."
The showrunners have been too busy with "who wins the throne!" hype and thinking up the COOLEST and most BADASS war scenes to present the anti-war message needed to make this particular story work the way they intend it to. They've even managed to make any dialogue related to peace or non-violence seem like something only imbeciles and incompetent advisors think about. Not just from Tyrion the last few seasons with his failures, but also when they cut the Broken Man speech in season 6 in favor of less poignant and memorable dialogue between The Hound and Ray. Everything Ray said about anti-violence was undercut, and neatly refuted by the Hound immediately going back to violence at the end of the episode, thus "winning" the argument about the right way to cure the disease of violence.

The fun adventures of badass Arya murdering people for revenge and becoming a hero for it only adds to the thesis the show posits every week - violence is the answer. Depravity is cathartic, see Sansa feeding Ramsay to his dogs and how orgasmic it was for her. It solves the hardest problems and feels good and ultimately makes you a badass. So do that when faced with a problem.

There are no compelling counter arguments, no clever characters thinking outside of that box (at least after Margaery was unceremoniously killed off). Every character left just resorts to violence, even if the violence fails to accomplish an intended goal and or doesn't mesh with their character motivations, see Ellaria, who gets justice for Oberyn by murdering his family and coming out of it as an anti-hero that joins the "good side" of the war. And see Theon, who regains his status with the Iron Born not by showing leadership or being willing to keep getting up from his beating despite a credible threat of death (because what is dead may never die ) but by getting kicked in the balls, grinning from the lack of pain, and beating a man half to death like a badass. No problem that good ole violence can't solve.

So when it comes to this "problem" of Dany not wanting to hurt innocents, it doesn't really resonate as a real problem for a show that has made heroes and winners out of the most violent and shunned, shamed, or brutally murdered anyone not jumping at the opportunity to embrace the most violent interpretation of their house words . The show has made it easy for viewers to just say burn those motherfuckers and take the castle you idiot, because they have never really been given an anti-war theme that isn't immediately ridiculed as being stupid, (see Hound and Arya in the Riverlands).

With this particular dilemma, they've told us in the script that the smallfolk matter, but when it came to actually show us why, they decided it was either too boring or not essential for the story. So they skipped exploring the war-torn country parts of the story and decided against showing peasants starving and struggling to feed their babies during Winter after the food from the reach was destroyed by Dany's dragons, or what remained of the religious folks after their church was blown to smithereens. They decided against showing us their suffering and misery under Cersei's reign, or how war has only made everything worse. That harsh reality that shines a light on what the badass war scenes actually do to the people you want to rule, is what you need to include in your story if your big climax is supposed to make the audience feel for these unnamed characters that technically exist but come across more as an idea than a living, breathing people worth caring about. If you only show the peasants as religious fanatics, cock slanging mobs, and sexist pigs that hate our named characters, then you're not going to inspire much sympathy, and you're definitely not going to make the actions to burn them seem as villainous as you want it to seem.

But here we are, and these peasants are standing in the way of an audiences favorite character winning the battle of all battles. Is it surprising that they want these fuckers to burn? What have the showrunners done to not stack the deck against them? Yes, there are some (many) that would cheer for Dany to burn them all no matter what because they want her to win no matter the cost, but the showrunners could have made the impulse to cheer on the destruction of the city feel a little more conflicting. Could have at least emotionally manipulated us and revisited that orphanage that Margaery introduced the viewers to. Take us there and show us that all of the kids in the orphanage are recent orphans because of Dany and Cersei's war . Make us see what Dany is about to destroy. Cute little babies.

GOT_EP301.jpg

If they show the cities destruction and want to hammer home how bad Dany is for doing it, we better at least see those toys Margaery dropped off on fire.

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
why do people like stannis again? even without the shireen stuff he seems horrible.

Though I loved Stephen Dillane's Stannis, and Dillane did an incredible job with what little he was given, Book!Stannis is considerably different from his television counterpart. (I would have loved to have seen Dillane with some of Stannis' more iconic book lines. Why can't we have nice things?!)

To loosely describe Stannis in the books, he almost feels like the half-way point in terms of personality between Ned Stark and Tywin Lannister. He's got Ned's honor and sense of justice, just taken to the extreme. He also has Tywin's more intimidating presence, brilliant tactical mind, and tendency for hilarious one liners. Stannis also has a slightly different dynamic with Davos and Melisandre in the books. Stannis is more fond of Davos, and genuinely grateful for all Davos does for him, and in comparison, has more of a gritted-teeth pragmatic partnership with Melisandre - she never has the same level of manipulation and power over him she does in the show, and he's not obsessed with her. They're kinda the weirdest co-workers ever. (I really enjoy the trio's dynamic in books, but we don't see them interact as much in the books as they do in the show.)

We see less of Stannis' dynamic with Shireen in the books, but he's pretty insistent that she's his heir, and that she is to be protected at all costs, even if he dies. I presume if/when Stannis sacrifices Shireen in the books, the world would be in a pretty dire state to the point the throne no longer matters to him at all, as Stannis will have sacrificed his only heir. In the books, Stannis is one of the few characters focusing on the threat of the White Walkers over the throne in ADwD, which we unfortunately didn't see as much of in the show.

But yeah, Stannis definitely had the biggest personality change from his book counterpart out of all the main cast, to the point they don't really feel like the same character at times. Tyrion and Cersei would be the other two that have the biggest personality change. Tyrion has a big divergence from Book!Tyrion in personality and motives from S4 onwards, as Tyrion becomes a much more morally darker character in the books. (I wish some of it had been kept in, as Tyrion's post-S4 arc has been a waste of Peter Dinklage's talent.) Positively, I enjoy TV!Cersei a lot more than I enjoy Book!Cersei. TV!Cersei feels a lot more grounded and world-weary, and Lena Headey gives her a far more commanding presence.

I don't quite consider Euron part of the main cast, but he is another character that had a bit of a personality change. He's absolutely fucking terrifying in the books, and a genuine force to be reckoned with - he makes Ramsay and Joffery look like naughty children in comparison. In the show, Euron's just... yep. Yeeeeeeep.

In the books, he's funny and just. He has good reasons for all his actions and actually has a pretty cool personality.

He's a proto-Daenerys tbh in how he'a This figure with bad PR that's revolutionary in some ways and has a bone to pick with the nobles for their abusive ways.

GRRM even calls Stannis a better king than Henry Tudor because Stannis is actually a righteous man.

Yes, this. Stannis and Dany are my two favs, and as you said, it's been interesting to see elements of Dany's character mirror Stannis' more and more, especially in the PR department.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Jon taking the black after killing Dany makes sense. Tormund, Ghost and the wildings are at Castle Black. Tormund also said that's where Jon belongs.

My happiness with the ending honestly depends solely on whether Jon gets to be with the Freefolk and Ghost or not. Like if he's literally the Night's Watch and can't see them again besides occasional visits and has to take dumb vows, eh. If he's the 'Night's Watch' in sarcastic air quotes and just banishes himself because he goes "I literally don't care" that will be rad.

I mean I have problems with the story in itself, but I think the show is just not gonna address details. So I've tapped out in that regard, I'm just hopeful for character endings now.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My happiness with the ending honestly depends solely on whether Jon gets to be with the Freefolk and Ghost or not. Like if he's literally the Night's Watch and can't see them again besides occasional visits and has to take dumb vows, eh. If he's the 'Night's Watch' in sarcastic air quotes and just banishes himself because he goes "I literally don't care" that will be rad.

I mean I have problems with the story in itself, but I think the show is just not gonna address details. So I've tapped out in that regard, I'm just hopeful for character endings now.

I mean who is even gonna banish him? Maybe he decided for himself to take the black?

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean who is even gonna banish him? Maybe he decided for himself to take the black?

Oh yeah I fully expect it's gonna be like

"I've killed her."

"Oh..uh...how terrible your grace--"

"FUCK THAT. I'm a criminal. Honor demands I go to the wall."

"...Jon there is no fucking wall anymore."

"I will rebuild a fucking a wall just so I can banish myself there."

"But your grace--"

"Fine. My first act as king is to banish myself, fuck you."

"I--I really don't know how to react to that."

[Goes off to brood into the distance]

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
There have been pretty big hints of this in the books.

And the show has some large hints too.

tlggzswprlc21.jpg

The first time "King of the Andals and the First Men" is uttered in he series is over an image of these two.

Not to mention that the Iron Throne teaser from season 1 had the image of a raven behind the Iron Throne

eitsj95g3q021.png

And Bran means raven and is the Three Eyed Raven.

I get there are hints, but you can hint to hell and back and it can still be a bad conclusion to the story as you've told it. Like, if GRRM included a character's random dream about Moon Boy on the throne, and then ended with King Moon Boy, the hint wouldn't make it into a good story. Bran, as written, makes no sense as king. You're literally just getting out of a plot about how hard it's been for Dany to win over supporters who don't relate to her, and the value of Jon's personal charisma and masculine warrior persona, and you're going to put a perpetually stoned space alien in a wheelchair on the throne because he knows history real good?

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
To me the surface-level reading of that scene was that Jaime wants to mercy kill Cersei rather than subject her to whatever awful death Dany would give her. That's his "love" at this point, and it's pretty fitting. Plus maybe a quick death for Cersei prevents a violent sack of the city, the same logic as killing Aerys. And when Brienne calls him out on it, he lashed out and plays the villain, because he'd rather be hated than merely disappointing, and it's the same strategy he used to deal with everyone's ire over Aerys. I think it works pretty well, unless he gets to KL and really is like "Cersei I love you let's run away together". If it's that, then fuck that.

Yeah, this is more or less my reading of the scene, too. And if it's correct, of course D&D aren't going to give the game away in a fluff piece to camera.

Of course, if I'm wrong and he really is going back to Cersei just because he still loves her, I'll eat all the crow and bitch about the culmination of his arc until the end of time.

Helping to win a battle isn't a reason to follow somebody. How good was Dany at ruling in Essos? Not very.

She is impulsive. And although she has some good ideas, she has a malevolence that is not conducive to being a good queen. Hell, even setting that aside she makes some pretty dumb decisions. Right after an apocalyptic battle against a supernatural force she demands to march her tired and wounded force immediately off to attack King's Landing because she can't help herself. She feels like she is destined to rule Westeros.

Just think about it. She left Essos to eat itself alive and/or revert back to what it was because she wanted to go be queen of Westeros. What kind of ruler does that?

Dany has to be talked out of burning tens of thousands of people because she so desperately wants her crown. Like, how can you say the Starks are villains?

This.
It's incredible to me that even given the admittedly patchy writing, so many people have such a fundamental misreading of Dany's character. Sure, she's done a lot of good for the world, no denying that. But she's always had darker impulses her more temperate advisers have repeatedly had to talk her back from. Now those people are dying off one by one and those who are left have lost faith in her. Coupled with her dangerous entitlement levels, it was only a matter of time before this happened. Losing Rhaegal and Missandei just lit the fuse.

#teamStark

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Oh yeah I fully expect it's gonna be like

"I've killed her."

"Oh..uh...how terrible your grace--"

"FUCK THAT. I'm a criminal. Honor demands I go to the wall."

"...Jon there is no fucking wall anymore."

"I will rebuild a fucking a wall just so I can banish myself there."

"But your grace--"

"Fine. My first act as king is to banish myself, fuck you."

"I--I really don't know how to react to that."

[Goes off to brood into the distance]

I mean, you write that scene as a joke, but it's pretty much the most Jon Snow scene imaginable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean, you write that scene as a joke, but it's oretty much the most Jon Snow scene imaginable.

Honestly, yeah. Like if that ends up being the ending it's gonna be like "...I mean I hate it but I can't say it's out of character in the slightest." Only way it could be more Jon Snow is if he gets to Castle Black ready to brood and Tormund is there to fuck with him. Which, given this episode, honestly might not be unlikely.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
gyre9rnquhw21.jpg

Freefolk Memes are onpoint today.

Real talk though, how many times can Jon refuse a title and be offered a better one?

Stannis: "Become Lord of Winterfell."
"No."
Everyone: "Be King in the North."
"No."
Dany: "Okay, okay....Warden?"
"Sure."
Dany:"That's great! Winterfell is--"
"Sansa's. I only take the Warden title."
Dany:"...Jesus Christ."
Everyone: "...King of the 7 kingdoms?"
"NO"

Jon had to basically be dragged into being Lord Commander. This man has so little ambition he has no choice but to become Night King or some sort of God at the end of the show, because the universe will keep making him succeed out of spite.

Oct 28, 2017
England
GRRM confirmed that Daenerys will be going home in TWOW.

When did he confirm this? Because GRRM originally planned for a trilogy. Then he announced there'd be a five year gap after ASOS. Then, in AFFC (a book that only exists because he changed his mind about the five year gap) he outright states in print that ADWD (a book that only exists because AFFC was too big, causing him to divide the characters into two) should be out in the following year, when in reality it took six years!

I don't think GRRM deliberately lies, but he's a piss-poor planner and I'll take anything he predicts about TWOW with a huge pinch of salt.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only a very casual fan of this show but man, Bran as King sounds hilarious to me.
Really hope they go with anything else. I take a dragon or some old sandwich instead of that.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you write that scene as a joke, but it's pretty much the most Jon Snow scene imaginable.

After all this fighting and the the death of Dany (it would probably be even worse for him if he has to kill her himself) and everyone is gonna be like "Jon you are now king" I bet he's gonna go "Fuck y'all Im out, gonna banish myself to Castle Black".

Oct 25, 2017
There have been pretty big hints of this in the books.

And the show has some large hints too.

tlggzswprlc21.jpg

The first time "King of the Andals and the First Men" is uttered in he series is over an image of these two.

Not to mention that the Iron Throne teaser from season 1 had the image of a raven behind the Iron Throne

eitsj95g3q021.png

And Bran means raven and is the Three Eyed Raven.

It's easy to succumb to confirmation bias when you look back over many hours of content as you begin to come to the conclusion of something. I dont' put any trust in D&D being this mindful of shit when they began the show.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else thinks that dialogue between Davos and Tyrion about R'hllor was D&D's subtle (not-so-subtle) way to tell the audience: "Yeah, we are done with that storyline." ?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
After all this fighting and the the death of Dany (it would probably be even worse for him if he has to kill her himself) and everyone is gonna be like "Jon you are now king" I bet he's gonna go "Fuck y'all Im out, gonna banish myself to Castle Black".
They won't even have a scene of everyone being like "you're King now Jon". It'll just cut away and the next time we see Jon he'll be at the Wall.

Oct 25, 2017
Does someone mind pointing me to the spoiler leak or dropping bullets in here behind the tag? I've been able to pick up pieces of what is rumored.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
If the Bran junk is true, I see him giving John the out to go back to the north/Wall. All he'd need to do is say someone needs to rebuild it/the NK threat will return.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Does someone mind pointing me to the spoiler leak or dropping bullets in here behind the tag? I've been able to pick up pieces of what is rumored.
I don't think we have to tag it do we, this is unmarked spoilers? But anyway the main points are:

- Jon kills Daenerys then returns to the Nights Watch
- Bran is king, Sansa is Warden of the North and Arya just swans off on her own. Davos and Bronn are on Bran's small council.
- Cersei dies, maybe by Jaime, maybe not. Jaime also dies too.
- Varys gets executed by Daenerys, Tyrion is arrested for treason. Don't think anyone has said what happens to him in the end.
- The Hound finishes off the Mountain but also dies
- Jon kills Greyworm after the Unsullied sack King's Landing and murder loads of innocents
- Euron dies although it's either Jon, Jaime or Drogon who kill him

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So basically some people knew Missendai gets beheaded and added some random ass guesses around it?

New leak from Reddit:

* White walkers are finished in first three episodes.
* Missendai is captured and executed by Cersei
* Tyrion is executed for betraying Dany
* Dany goes mad and kills everyone in king landing with her Dragons including Cersei.
* Cersei gets killed by Jaime as well
* Jaime stops the dragons from destroying everyone in kings landing in the nick of time.
* Jon kills Dany before going to live North of the wall with his Aunt. This is actually in the riverlands, because the wall moved a bit.
* Bran sits on the iron throne at the end with Varys, Bronn and Tyrion on his council.
Do you have adirect link to these newer leaks? I just want to read comments and stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we have to tag it do we, this is unmarked spoilers? But anyway the main points are:

- Jon kills Daenerys then returns to the Nights Watch
- Bran is king, Sansa is Warden of the North and Arya just swans off on her own. Davos and Bronn are on Bran's small council.
- Cersei dies, maybe by Jaime, maybe not. Jaime also dies too.
- Varys gets executed by Daenerys, Tyrion is arrested for treason. Don't think anyone has said what happens to him in the end.
- The Hound finishes off the Mountain but also dies
- Jon kills Greyworm after the Unsullied sack King's Landing and murder loads of innocents
- Euron dies although it's either Jon, Jaime or Drogon who kill him

Oh...that's, uh....cool?

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Sigh. With all the talk I was expecting a spectacular failure, but this episode was just another in a long series of wet farts. Surprise heat seeking bolts from the stealth fleet was the only real highlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.