• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should SSM kill Kratos?

• Yes. Need a fresh face to carry the franchise forward.

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • No, can't think of GoW without Kratos.

Votes: 203 69.8%
  • Don't care. Anything is fine.

Votes: 68 23.4%

• Total voters

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Was watching several videos explaining the events of GoW2018 and theorising/predicting on where the story might go in the next game. Some of these videos have theories regarding how Kratos might/will die in the upcoming instalment(s). Ending of the game also showed a mural showing what looked like Kratos dying in the lap of Atreus.

Panel.jpg

Whats interesting is that only Kratos saw that. This got me thinking would SSM kill Kratos in the coming games to make way for a new lead protagonist? As he has become one of the most recognisable characters in gaming...a legend, a mascot...could they? Both Nintendo and MS have long running franchises with the same protagonist. And among the big hitters of Sony like Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon etc only Kratos is an immortal god and hence can keep on going.(Though mortality was never a problem for say Lara Croft). For me, God of War and Kratos are inseparable. He is the soul...the pivot of GoW and I wont mind him as the lead protagonist for atleast another 3-4 games.(from my avatar you can guess I could be little biased :)) But don't want another GoW: Ascension situation either. What do you think about the future of Kratos Era?

Great post by PLASTICA-MAN -

Welcome here.
1- If you just looked one page back you could have found my answer.
2- Atreus chanting a requiem on a dying Kratos (or someone else) trying to revive him then departing with some wolves:

B2HoUvq.jpg

Some 3 figures are under the dying person doing a rite or something and other upside-down creatures holding the Omega sign : https://i.imgur.com/RHyShdF.jpg
The translation of that mural : https://www.reddit.com/r/GodofWar/comments/8fbhku/translations_of_the_prophency_mural_at_the_ending/

Last edited:

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It's hard to tell where they'll go. SSM doesn't have to directly kill off Kratos in the next game if they want to replace him with Atreus in future games - it would limit their options for no good reasons. Instead they could switch between both (Atreus and Kratos) and just put Kratos on the back burner. I also think that mural was misleading on purpose - we don't know if that's really Kratos and what the full context of that scene is.

Kratos still has a lot of potential as a character as shown by GoW 2018. I personally don't think they can kill him off, even if they want.

Oct 26, 2017
God of War 5: Kratos is the main character. Atreus learns at the end of the game that Kratos killed his sister and they go their separate ways.
God of War 6: Atreus is the main character. Kratos saves Atreus' life and dies and Atreus feels sad.

Pretty sure this is how it will go.

Also, Kratos not having any reaction to his wife knowing a prophecy about him dying and her setting him on this path and not telling him was... very interesting.

Kratos: *Learns that his wife concealed basically everything from him and might have set him up to die*
Kratos: *No reaction*

Felt like this just happened because the game was over instead of it making sense.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That mural isn't conclusive and has many possible interpretations. We know based on the mythology that Loki brings the World Serpent into Midgard, however, will Atreus actually become Loki? The mythology is different already as the Fimbulwinter and Ragnarok seem to be happening too soon.

In that mural for example, its possible that Atreus is using the World Serpent to heal Kratos, or dragging him away from something while bringing
Jörmungandr forth.

Also, given Faye set all of this in motion and walked the path for Kratos and Atreus, I think she wanted Kratos to see that mural. She know's he is a free radical and that time and space tend to bend around his will or actions. Maybe we'll see the giants return.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Keep him for the norse trilogy but i think he has to go after that, like i dont see them having Kratos killing a bunch of brown people in Egypt

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If they develop Atreus how they should, I can see the torch being passed. I remember someone made mock-ups for how he could look older. I think there's a lot of potential in being able to see a character from Childhood to Adulthood become as that isn't a common thing. You definitely can't keep Kratos forever even with his god blood in-him if you want more games in the series without rebooting.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Keep him for the Norse story, after that either use a older Atreus, or just end the franchise.

God, I'm so hyped for the sequel. The GoW reboot is probably one of the best games I've ever played. The thought of a sequel on PS5..........*eyes roll to back of head*

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
That trick question poll though.

Reminds me of trying ticking the box on websites to make sure you don't get emails.

Do you want to not get emails about our offers? Click the box to opt out of not subscribing to our mailing list.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have only played the new GoW but no matter where the story takes I want to play as Kratos. The Boy will have it's time sure once he grows up or there is a substantial time skip for GoW 8.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Regarding the mural, it has also been theorized based on the clothing and the look of that character, that the dying character in Atreus's arms is actually not kratos, but rather Tyr.

God of War 5: Kratos is the main character. Atreus learns at the end of the game that Kratos killed his sister and they go their separate ways.
God of War 6: Atreus is the main character. Kratos saves Atreus' life and dies and Atreus feels sad.

Also, Kratos not having any reaction to his wife knowing a prophecy about him dying and her setting him on this path and not telling him was... very interesting.

Kratos: *Learns that his wife concealed basically everything from him and might have set him up to die*

Felt like this just happened because the game was over instead of it making sense.
This will not be the reason for their split, at all.
The reason will be atreus turning on the norse gods because of all the pain they caused everyone and to the giants + a major event that will be the last straw for atreus, he decides to change his name to loki and lead ragnarok, continuing the cycle his father started, kratos, doesnt want Atreus to go through the same dark path he did in the original trilogy, which will serve as the main conflict.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos has defeated fate before.

He'll be fine.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
God of War '18 turned me around on the franchise. I absolutely want to see Kratos as the central protagonist, as I feel the series (reboot included) is built around his identity and relationships with others. I love Atreus as a secondary character, but largely for his impact on Kratos and development of his character. Given that Kratos is the ultimate fish out of water, I also enjoy the lore unravelling from his involvement and not someone like Atreus who is more richly intertwined with the Norse setting.

I don't know if I consider the mural conclusive of death. Severe injury sure, but more importantly "passing on" something to Atreus. Who knows.

But yeah. This is the version of Kratos I actually want to follow, unlike the last (yet oddly in spite of), so I hope he doesn't get replaced with Atreus.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the mural, it has also been theorized based on the clothing and the look of that character, that the dying character in Atreus's arms is actually not kratos, but rather Tyr.
I actually think Kratos is Tyr (via time travel shenanigans). It fits his character arc.

Greek GoW- Kratos is a cruel, angry god fueled by vengeance.

Norse GoW- Kratos finds his humanity through his relationships with Fay and Atreus, then travels back in time to use his newfound wisdom to become a benevolent God of War (Tyr).

Future GoW trilogy?- Kratos is killed by the Norse Gods, Atreus has to decide whether or not he will continue the cycle of vengeance.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually think Kratos is Tyr (via time travel shenanigans). It fits his character arc.

Greek GoW- Kratos is a Cruel, angry god fueled by vengeance.

Norse GoW- Kratos finds his humanity through his relationships with Fay and Atreus, then travels back in time to use his newfound wisdom to become a benevolent God of War.

Future GoW trilogy?- Kratos is killed by the Norse Gods, Atreus has to decide whether or not he will continue the cycle of vengeance.

Given that time moves at different speeds in different realms, I think this is probably bang on the money. It would be interesting to see how Kratos explored the Celtic and Egyptian mythologies for their logos to appear as part of Tyrs research though.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That mural isn't conclusive and has many possible interpretations. We know based on the mythology that Loki brings the World Serpent into Midgard, however, will Atreus actually become Loki? The mythology is different already as the Fimbulwinter and Ragnarok seem to be happening too soon.

I wouldn't be surprised, if Atreus turns out to be a villain, and Kratos is forced to go against his son. Atreus already displayed signs of villain mentality, when he learned he's a god. The mural could also portray an event, where Atreus has defeated and mortally wounded Kratos, or made it happen indirectly with his actions. I don't necessarily interpret the mural as the World Serpent coming forth through Atreus, but portaying his worm tongue. After all, Loki is known to be a cunning and manipulating trickster.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Kratos not really having a reaction makes total sense to me. Kratos has basically experienced everything life can possibly offer. He doesn't seem that bothered by the prospect of dying.

Oct 26, 2017
Kratos not really having a reaction makes total sense to me. Kratos has basically experienced everything life can possibly offer. He doesn't seem that bothered by the prospect of dying.

Considering that his wife was maybe the only person he ever loved, this potentially massive betrayal seems like it would merit a reaction.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I can see Atreus starring in a God of War game similar to how Ellie is the star of The Last of Us 2.

They won't show Kratos until near release where Kratos sneaks up on Atreus and says "You think I'll let you do this on your own?".

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I can see Atreus starring in a God of War game similar to how Ellie is the star of The Last of Us 2.

They won't show Kratos until near release where Kratos sneaks up on Atreus and says "You think I'll let you do this on your own?".
You know Boy, we really are the last of us gods.

OP
OP
Father Kratos

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
That trick question poll though.

Reminds me of trying ticking the box on websites to make sure you don't get emails.

Do you want to not get emails about our offers? Click the box to opt out of not subscribing to our mailing list.
That poll will keep embarrassing me :( Only thing I can do is to close it.

This seems most likely. May be a section in the next game where you play as Atreus like the Ellie section in TLOU or what they did in RDR2.

I also think that mural was misleading on purpose - we don't know if that's really Kratos and what the full context of that scene is.
Yup, they know what they are going to do in future games but wanted to tease the player :) In one of his interviews Cory has mentioned how he has planted many "seeds" in the game for the sequels and people will be surprised when they come back after playing the sequel, that these were there in the first game too.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
If they're gonna kill Kratos for good better create another IP to explore new horizons.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Atreus is the future, he is the critical component that makes GOW2018 a masterpiece.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I think Kratos will ''die'', but since Atreus is revealed to be Loki, it could be part of some kind of illusion to gain Odin's trust

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2018 Kratos was a new Kratos in my opinion. I mean we can look at him like a new character, not a repetitive character from old games. So I hope they still use him as main character in next games.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
After the soft reboot I have full trust for the studio. If they want to create compelling story and gameplay mechanics that takes advantage of a new lead then go for it. If not, then that's also fine because for the longest time Kratos was once again interesting character. Plus wielding the axe felt so good.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
Like many here, l think it could go both ways. Personally, l hope they continue to use Kratos for now, then pass the turn to Atreus later in a natural progressive way. Maybe have them both playable then go Atreus only?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...What the hell's going on with the poll? The question doesn't match the answers.

I think God of War 4's done a good job of showing there is more to do with Kratos.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
GoW 2018 has tease Tyr travelling to different mythology. So I can see Norse era ending in a way where Kratos will have to follow Tyr and travel to different mythology, but this time to save those world from a new multi pantheon level threat. Atreus will have plot reason to stay in Norse so we can still have tear jerking farewell moment and can return many games later all grown up a d bad ass.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Loki isnt the God of War so the franchise name doesn't make sense if he were the main protagonist.

Kratos is the best. Getting rid of him would be dumb. At least anytime before Ragnarok at the climactic end of this trilogy. Then they can change the name of the game and keep it in the same universe with Loki if they want. Kratos is the only reason I play these games and finally his character has some actual depth. Please dont do anything stupid.

Ragnarok doesn't exactly end well for anyone in the mythology so they could just end it all with this trilogy if they must. Just give us the most Darren Aronovski ending.

Theory I just came up with in my head (not super serious): Tyr was the god of war before Odin and he was the decider of battles. Everyone dies in Ragnarok. Kratos somehow blames Tyr and rages out and travels to the next realm with a different pantheon where he is hiding (much like Kratos was) to get vengeance.

Last edited:

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully not, as his adolescent defiance was extremely annoying in the first, and by far the worst thing about the game for me. It made him more unsympathetic than Kratos ever was. That's why I think he'd be a good candidate for a future villain.
Imagine hating children/teenagers so much that you sympathize more with a mass murderer.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine distoring what someone said to that extent.

I rest my case.

EDIT: "Whatever..." Now which hated game character that repeatedly used phrase reminds me of?

Not distorted at all, you said adolescent defiance, which means you didn't like getting back talked as the "adult". You can take umbrage with his killing there, sure but again, Kratos killed basically everyone in his universe including his own father, wife and child so what "point" are you making here?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Not distorted at all, you said adolescent defiance, which means you didn't like getting back talked as the "adult". You can take umbrage with his killing there, sure but again, Kratos killed basically everyone in his universe including his own father, wife and child so what "point" are you making here?

I was obviously referring to that video, which I've also referred to in my initial post on the thread. Atreus shows clear signs of villainous thinking, and backs it up with annoying "Whatever..." repeatedly. I'm surprised to hear, that it might not have rubbed someone the wrong way.

Squall was widely disliked due to similar, yet much less brutal, teen angst, and I don't recall anyone saying, "You just hate kids." as a retort to that. Not to mention, that Drake is widely loved, despite of his murderous rampage.

You just made my post something that it's not, and added an element to it that's only in your head; only villains (and teens) deal in absolutes. Given the phrasing of your initial reply, it also seems like a jab referring to another thread.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
From the other thread.

Clealry Kratos, Sony and ND could get rid of Nathan at any time replace him with any otehr character (and they did it with Chloe) and no one could get, neitehr Sony, nor ND nor PlayStation nor Uncharted itself. They could even drop Uncharted at some point and they will be fine.
GOW and Kratos, taht's anotehr story. Kratos is so iconic for every Playstation generation that Sony can't get rid of even if any GOW director wants to. He is the one that many identify PlayStation with. In fact ask your father, your uncle even your grandfather and grandmother whether they know Drake they will say nope while they surely know Kratos' person and his name too.
They didn't just reboot him, make im another person to get rid of him so soon.

Kratos can visit any other civilisation and mythology and they will always find a plot for him that everyone can accept.

In that mural for example, its possible that Atreus is using the World Serpent to heal Kratos, or dragging him away from something while bringing
Jörmungandr forth.

Also, given Faye set all of this in motion and walked the path for Kratos and Atreus, I think she wanted Kratos to see that mural. She know's he is a free radical and that time and space tend to bend around his will or actions. Maybe we'll see the giants return.

No my friend, this really a repeated misconception and error that many are sharing just like how Tyr is a time traveler Kratos. That thing coming from Atreus mouth is a requiem/chant which is a special power of Atreus to heal the wounded. Look closely those chants are written in futhark and he did the same if you played the FB prequel trying to save the wounded deer but he failed because his power was weak at that time.

The world serpent doesn't get born from his mouth (which kinda absurd tbh) but from a a known mother who is Angrboða and she is even depicted in one of those Jotnar murals and shown breastfeeding her son.

This is exactly what I expect too. They will try to lure us by mostly showing Atreus as main and starting character for most of the parts while intentionally keeping Kratos away from the scene, then later they will pass the gameplay to him just like how they hid well the existence of the Blades Of Chaos until that iconic and epic moment, then later they will try to make us think Kratos was dead and let us bear the shock by playing Atreus again for quite some time until the end of the game where we regain control of him explaining how got revived (or escaped death again) and both fight in ragnarok

OP Father Kratos can you post the right part of that mural showing Atreus departing with his wolves (probably grandsons) after trying to revive the person the left of the mural:

Welcome here.
1- If you just looked one page back you could have found my answer.
2- Atreus chanting a requiem on a dying Kratos (or someone else) trying to revive him then departing with some wolves: https://i.imgur.com/B2HoUvq.jpg
Some 3 figures are under the dying person doing a rite or something and other upside-down creatures holding the Omega sign : https://i.imgur.com/RHyShdF.jpg
The translation of that mural : https://www.reddit.com/r/GodofWar/comments/8fbhku/translations_of_the_prophency_mural_at_the_ending/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was tired of Kratos after the first game, tbh. I like what they did with the character in 2018 but I probably would have liked the game even more if they had a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted "don't care". I'd rather have Kratos, but if we get another protagonist, that's fine too, whatever.

Just please don't kill the axe. Best God of War weapon by a mile.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Let's keep in mind that Kratos has literally defied the fates and time itself to get where he is now. He even has no problem ressurecting from death too. So whatever profecy there is for him, it's not necessarily gonna be actually "true" for him.

But yeah, it looks like our good old Kratos will kick it at some point and our BOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will outlive him.