• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The responses in the first few pages indicate people underestimated how severe cuts would be and what Dexit really meant. Every Pokemon is someone's favorite. I guess you just assume your fav will make it in. I knew this would happen, as did many others, and people are finally realizing it lol.

Curious if people who wanted to buy won't anymore.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So many of my favorites got cut. And only Charizard from Gen 1, cmon. God, Game Freak is such a trash developer.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I think I must have read pretty much every post in the first dexit thread. The harassment of Masuda's personal twitter was universally condemned. But hey, if you wanna go dip up some posts proving me wrong I'll be happy to take the L.

The search function near as I can tell only goes back ten pages. So I suppose I can't give you what you want.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a charizard fan, it brings me joy to see people being salty about charizard. Him and pikachu will be in my party, gen 1 pander to me all day babbyyy!!!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No, it's different this gen. They were very clear about it and there was a huge amount of controversy because of it. Game Freak was very clear that things are different than Sun and Moon.
I'm not saying everyone's returning. I'm just saying the list could have errors.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Shinx line is gonna be in the DP remakes and then never be seen again lmao

Like I know popularity isn't the only thing taken into account when it comes to getting in a regional dex, but how has it not even been included once?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You're still ignoring what these values mean. The $95 billion number isn't even the franchise's worth, it's the sum of all the money they've made over time. But even then, they still clearly invest back into the titles. And I said money and time, not competency - they refer to resources that may or may not impact development whatsoever.

The fact is that Pokemon already goes above and beyond what other games it shares a premise or genre with, and is doing so even with portions of the Pokedex being cut. The fact is that the franchise is straining under an expectation that no one before them has ever come close to filling, and that even after all of that, something, at some point, was going to give. Pokemon goes above and beyond other monster battling stuff in terms of scale and what the Pokemon actually do, and has increasingly been doing so since the move away from sprites.

It's not that Pokemon fans shouldn't have high expectations. The fact is those expectations are at a level that has finally brushed up against what is and isn't realistic.

That's the thing though. This franchise has made an unrealistic amount of money. More than any other media franchise out there, including ones that we consider to be behemoths. Franchises that make up for a majority of the top grossing movies of all time.

Yes, they are facing expectations no one has faced before, but they are making insane amounts of money that has never been made before. At what point do they take a step back, scale up development and spend more time on the games? Clearly the biggest franchise in the world can afford to make bigger, better games. The only things holding them back are time and money spent on development. Hire more team leads, more engineers, more artists. When other companies like google/Apple have demand scale up, they don't go "well this is the best we can do so guess we just won't meet the demand". They scale up and invest in more development, management and assets.

Magic: The Gathering Arena alone (not counting magic online which has around 20,000 cards) has over 2000 cards, and these all have rules interactions that are more complex than Pokémon. They don't have art (that's already made), but the programming involved with their interactions is challenging. Recently, they realized that the way they did data handling doesn't scale well when you add more and more cards (the paper development team add hundreds of new cards a year, each with unique art). So instead of saying "eh this is the best we can do we will just delete some old cards" they decided to refactor their code and hire more people. This is how companies operate.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They've already made it incredibly clear that, from this generation onwards, if you aren't in the regional Pokédex you aren't in the game full stop.
You don't think for a second they could have, say, a Mewtwo event. Or a gen 1 starter thing where you download Squirtle/Bulb? There are very strong possibilities of these things happening.

Last edited:

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
They cut most of my original 151.
After buying and completing the pokèdex on Let's Go.

They're going to get my...money. I like Pokémon too much.
Crazy they're cutting super famous characters like Squirtle or Jigglypuff though. Never expected it. They are in freaking Smash.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think for a second they could have, say, a Mewtwo event. Or a gen 1 starter thing where you download Squirtle/Bulb? There are very strong possibility of these things happening.
They have very explicitly said that they're not going to be doing this, and I see no reason not to take them at their word.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They said that the data of the cut pokemon isn't in the game, that was the cause of the uproar. If you could import them nobody would be mad.
Sword/Shield was data mined? I thought there were just leakers who had physical copies of the game so far.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Are we still crying that gen I always get the attention when even the literal trash of gen V gets added and many gen I favourites dont?

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Is my boy Smeargle ever going to be in another game, considering it can learn almost every move? Since they probably are also cutting moves (especially signature moves) from the game in addition to the Pokémon...

Oct 25, 2017
Did they just create a huge wall of Pokémon pictures and throw darts? Some crazy popular Pokémon being gone is odd

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Wait, Meltan and Melmetal aren't in?

Aren't they the first Gen 8 Pokemon revealed? How did they not make it into the Gen 8 game?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is my boy Smeargle ever going to be in another game, considering it can learn almost every move? Since they probably are also cutting moves (especially signature moves) from the game in addition to the Pokémon...

After killing nuzlockes gamefreak also want to kill smeargle challenges

Everything to stop people from finding a challenge!

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
What makes them not liars
Yeah I still don't know about this. Do we know that they've done everything they could to try to expand the dex? In previous generations you needed to see every Pokémon before you were given the expanded dex. Maybe there's a reward for seeing/catching all the Pokémon? Maybe there are other Pokémon that don't register to the dex like the island scan in Gen 7? There's a lot we don't know

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They have very explicitly said that they're not going to be doing this, and I see no reason not to take them at their word.
I honestly don't believe it. They'll be adding Pokemon to the game as we go. I could easily see them giving us a way to obtain Meltan or some other newer mythicals nobody knows about yet.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
competitive pokemon is finally getting the shake up it needed with certain pokemon being out! Good by landorus i wont miss u at all in competitive.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
This will be my first Crobat-less gen :(

No more repetitive Zubat encounters :)

Some really weird omissions. Loads of missing fan favourites in this game. Like, no old starters except Charmander, Pikachu and Eevee is a bit rubbish. Everyone has at least one starter that's among their faves

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't believe it. They'll be adding Pokemon to the game as we go. I could easily see them giving us a way to obtain Meltan or some other newer mythicals nobody knows about yet.
Mythicals are possible - but only because they might already be in the game, but not shown on the dex (they'll be at the end of the list, and won't be shown at all in the game until someone sees them at an event).

Anything else is impossible.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Are we still crying that gen I always get the attention when even the literal trash of gen V gets added and many gen I favourites dont?
Pre-release gave off the impression of them giving Gen 1 a lot of preferential treatment. I mean, they're still giving the usual suspects (Pikachu, Eevee, Charizard) a lot of attention while even ignoring the rest of KANTO.