• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Technically Ocarina of Time was confirmed as Zelda 64 in 1995, it didn't release until 1998, Breath of the Wild 2 confirmed in June 2019 won't release until 2022 at the earliest, we still don't even have a name yet which is shocking because we usually would get a name from now.

That's just a fun fact I wanted to post.

Edit: I'm talking about gameplay reveal to launch,

Breath of the Wild was officially announced in June 2014 and released in March 2017, if BOTW2 releases after March 2022 it will be longer.

If we are talking about mention, Aonuma confirmed BOTW2 was in development in December 2017.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
rare for nintendo. with zelda 64 it was no doubt because of all the issues 64 development had while BOTW2's issue is obviously covid.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking about gameplay reveal to launch,

Breath of the Wild was officially announced in June 2014 and released in March 2017, if BOTW2 releases after March 2022 it will be longer.

If we are talking about mention, Aonuma confirmed BOTW2 was in development in December 2017.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Depends if you count first acknowledgment to release or first trailer to release.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
The next Zelda will once again be announced two years after the sequel to BotW. We will once again expect it the year after the announcement. It will once again release three years after the announcement.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about gameplay reveal to launch,

I don't count the 2019 cinematic trailer as gameplay reveal as there was no gameplay there.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's baffling that a follow-up to BotW presumably reusing a ton of elements from that game is going to end up taking 5+ years to release.

Yes, even with Covid.
Yeah I definitely agree with you here. The trailer showed a few new things but it looks artistically identical to a breath of the wild; makes sense since it's a sequel but I'm perplexed why they barely showed any gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's baffling that a follow-up to BotW presumably reusing a ton of elements from that game is going to end up taking 5+ years to release.

Yes, even with Covid.
What if I told you there was more to game development than asset creation.

Or that we don't actually know when this game started development in earnest, so people reeeeeeally need to stop saying "5+ years".

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Get out of here with this, I'm not advocating for crunch at all.

But five years of dev time is pretty damn long by industry standards. You'd think they could have made an iterative sequel in less than five years without crunch.
I agree with you. Let's say COVID made them delay it by a year and a half (which is an exaggeration since they didn't stop working on it but whatever). Even so, 3.5 years of dev time (probably more) for a sequel game with re-used assets and built on an existing engine is too much.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019

But five years of dev time is pretty damn long by industry standards. You'd think they could have made an iterative sequel in less than five years without crunch.

why are we assuming that it is an "iterative sequel" -- based on a trailer that is less than 2 minutes?

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I'm OK with a Zelda taking longer than usual to release, assuming internal staff are assigned to other projects and maybe showing some love to neglected series or starting brand new ones.

why are we assuming that it is an "iterative sequel" -- based on a trailer that is less than 2 minutes?

The temporary/internal name "BOTW2" carries a lot of weight I imagine, but yea - the game could be using the base framework but enhance on it a great deal, we just don't know enough at this point.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

4-5 years is pretty much the standard for AAA development and BotW is touted as one of the best games of all time. Not sure why you'd think that it's unusual for a sequel to a game with such pedigree to take that long; especially taking the pandemic into account.

The iterative sequel bit is whatever, since we have no idea how much BotW2 reuses respectively adds.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Depending on the scope of the development, Iterative sequels can take just as long to develop as the original game. Galaxy 2 took as long to develop as the first Galaxy. I think people had unrealistic expectations for BOTW2 because Majora's Maks was made relatively quickly after OOT.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lmao @ that title.

To be fair, BOTW to BOTW 2 will probably be the longest time between two mainline console Zeldas since ALTTP to OOT. It's also the first time they've had a pandemic between sequels.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I agree with you. Let's say COVID made them delay it by a year and a half (which is an exaggeration since they didn't stop working on it but whatever). Even so, 3.5 years of dev time (probably more) for a sequel game with re-used assets and built on an existing engine is too much.
Yep. And it'll be five years in March. Based on the wording Aonuma used (he said they're "aiming" for 2022), this will probably be closer to six years of dev time.

And they're seemingly not even in a position to show a meaningful amount of gameplay footage, or a title.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019

You can't really...measure game development time/the impact of 1.5 years of Covid that way

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

In your professional opinion, how long should it take to develop this game? I'd be interested in details about how long it should take to for all the various systems and everything they've shown us too.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
In your professional opinion, how long should it take to develop this game? I'd be interested in details about how long it should take to for all the various systems and everything they've shown us too.
I'm only an armchair dev, but I expected a 2 year turn round with this sequel.. If its using the same map but modified, same assets, and core gameplay loop it shouldn't take so long. I understand why it took so long for BOTW but the sequel? They should be speedrunning this development since they don't have the hurdle of making a new engine and learning how to design the map. Just my 2 cents. Either the game is bigger than expected or something happened.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
You can't really...measure game development time/the impact of 1.5 years of Covid that way
Huh? I don't get what you mean. In my hypothetical example I was biased towards the devs. Because obviously during lockdown they've still been working, just not as efficiently. So saying "lets give them 1.5 years for free because of COVID" is basically giving giving those of who think the game has been taking too long a handicap. Even then, its still been taking too long (all of this is assuming the sequel is not going for something completely new that hasn't been shown yet).

I never said I was a professional. But even laymen understand that game engine creation, art style brainstorming, animation systems implementation and all that will probably eat up a lot of the development time for a game.

None of that is happening for this game (probably). This sequel probably has new animations and such but the fundamentals are all there. I don't understand why there is a defense force for the Zelda devs taking 5+ years to build out a sequel to a pretty polished and well received game using the same art style, engine and on the same hardware.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I never said I was a professional. But even laymen understand that game engine creation, art style brainstorming, animation systems implementation and all that will probably eat up a lot of the development time for a game.

None of that is happening for this game (probably). This sequel probably has new animations and such but the fundamentals are all there. I don't understand why there is a defense force for the Zelda devs taking 5+ years to build out a sequel to a pretty polished and well received game using the same art style, engine and on the same hardware.

Good to know that the game won't have any new music, no story, no script, no need for translating a script that doesn't exist, no need to hire voice actors, no new puzzles or mechanics...etc