• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 game of the decade in a decade with Half-Life 2, the first three legendary 3D GTAs, Halo 1-3, Modern Warfare, Minecarft, Portal or even Assassin's Creed 2 that paved the way for a certain kind of open world games? Nah.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'd say it's definitely Dark Souls, even if there are games I like more/games that are better.

Similarly, I think the game of the 2000's was actually GTA III. That game was one of the most influential in gaming history. It legit changed the industry

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
It has to be Dark Souls right? I can't count the number of games it influenced this decade and it basically perfected what Demon's Souls started and popularized a new genre. There is a reason we still describe some games as "Souls-like" all these years later.

RE4 though? I absolutely adore RE4 and consider it one of the best of the decade but with stuff like GTA3, COD4, and Minecraft there were way more important and influential games in the decade.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls is fair, but my personal vote would be for Bloodborne, which absolutely perfected the genre.
Minecraft would also be a fair shake, and I also wouldn't want to forget Mass Effect 2 belongs to this decade.

Nov 1, 2017
I find it odd that so many select Dark Souls over anything else for the "definitive" game of the decade when itself, the genre it created and the games it inspired are still very much a niche.
My pick would be Minecraft. It's such a monumental game AND cultural phenomenon.
Because Dark Souls was revolutionary to a lot of people but ironically a lot of the design choices are retro. It was a massive phenomenon WHILE going in the opposite direction to the dominant trends in AAA games that were and are everywhere. The combat was the main focus and was closer to that of character action games, no easy mode, no mini-map, no quest objectives and arrows telling you exactly what to do and where to go, no QTES, no constant tiresome cutscenes, no microtransactions, etc. etc. And no other game with a combat system of that level so successfully marries single player adventure, co-op AND PVP..

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just how many games do we know that had some form inspired from Souls games ?

God of War
Surge 1 & 2
Starwars Jedi Order
Code Vein
Nioh 1 & 2
Salt and Sanctuary

And probably many more that I don't know. Souls/BB is definitely something that shaped this gen. And Battle Royale.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's Dark Souls. I love The Last of Us, Bloodborne or The Witcher, but Dark Souls had an impact on the industry as a whole.

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
It ja really interesting to see how defensive (and some even aggressive) a lot of souls-fans get, when it comes to that series. You know that opinions can not be seen as a definitive fact, because everyone sees it differently and has a other opinion. As for me, i tried three soulsgame and i have to say that i dont like them. I tried it but no. These games are not for me. Some peopl love them, some dont. And that is ok.

For me, the game of the decade is Breath of the wild. This game is perfection imo. It takes the open world formular and takes it on another level. I still play is to this date and still see and experience something completely new .

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
RE4 is so wildly overrated that it's not even funny lol. Game is ok. It's not even the best in its own series.

Can agree with OoT

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion it's BotW for invigorating open world exploration for me.

I WOULD say Dark souls for creating a new Genre that became wildly popular, but Demon Souls really started the boom and that released 2009 so, even though it took Demon Souls's combat style and took it from cult favorite to actual popularity, it's just a tad bit out of the running.

Nov 4, 2017
Outside of the games that are obviously directly inspired by the Soulsborne games, such as The Surge or Nioh, I think a lot of games have been indirectly influenced in smaller ways. For example, I feel like a lot of Devs aren't afraid to make a game harder, or include a brutally hard difficulty. Also NG+ seems a lot more common (even if difficulty doesn't ramp like in the From games), and there seem to me more interesting takes on death mechanics these days. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher, Breath of the Wild and Death Stranding, while all being very different games, I think have some clear inspiration from the Souls series.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I think the thing that earned OoT and RE4 those titles isn't just that they were good games, but how widely influential they were. Maybe Minecraft and Dark Souls are probably most fitting of continuing that sort of thing. Neither are the first of their kind, but these were the entries that influenced countless games that came after them, both in their own genres, as well as games outside of 'em.

Oct 28, 2017
I have zero interest in ever playing The Witcher, so not for me. Its aesthetic and characters seems aimed at teenagers, and the gameplay seems lacking.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Witcher 3 is an amazing game but nobody can deny the impact dark souls had on the industry as a whole, definitely the more influential game.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don't get my wrong, i loved what i've played of it, but gameplay wise some decisions where kind of baffling...it got better with subsequent patches that solved the most glaring problems, but all in all it seems like a game buy banked all into production values and skipped on the gameplay cure and balancing stuff.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Its the Soulsborne series. TW3 is a good game but you have no other game where devs talk about being influenced by it. For the Soulsborne series we have God of War 2018, Assassin's Creed Origins, Jedi Fallen Order and many more where developers literally stated they were influenced by the Soulsborne games in some fashion.

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
Dark Souls, it created a genre for christ's sake

Witcher 3 didnt influence anything, it's just a very good game

I don't think that creating a genre makes a game a better experience per se - and you could look at many other examples to confirm this theory (David Cage's games, Mirrors Edge, Death Stranding...!)

And I would even argue that the Witcher 3 influenced the industry quite a bit. For me personally, I can't stand the typical design of secondary quests if they don't organically blend with the main game anymore, just as an example. Given how I put a good story in front of everything else in a game, it's definitely more impactful to me than most other mechanics / systems.

Not trying to say one is better than the other, but I think that these topics are always very subjective. What do you think?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Witcher 3 and BotW are both the most current iterations (and pinnacles) of the open world genre which has been around in this more modern form since Assassins Creed ca. 2007.

The Dark Souls formula has Demon Souls which just didn't make it into this decade, but the sales explosion came with Dark Souls in 2011.
And this formula has been really influential this decade. There have been loads of games that copy it and try to reinvent it and when even a most common denominator EA Star Wars game tries it's spin on the genre, it's become truly influential.

I would say that it's Dark Souls.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 is not even close to gotg, it doesn't come close to Bloodborne, dark souls or even destiny are more deserving of it.
Destiny fans are the only ones who think so. Nobody else really even thinks about Destiny. It's more viewed as an easy punchline, generally speaking.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Witcher3 is a fun game and very successful and does many things right, but it is not outstanding or original. Skyrim would be wildly more meaningful for its genre.

When it comes to outstanding games Breath of the Wild is surely very high in every list. It is still unreal to me that this game exists and work so well on every level.

Witcher3 is something you can do, if you have enough time and money. There is nothing particularly hard about developing such game with proper resources. It has very obvious rules and borders.

But BotW is crazy from a developer standpoint. Which developer would even think about including all these mechanics in a game and give the player practically endless freedom to do what he wants. It has virtually no borders in any way, you can do anything you can think of.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I loved my time with the Witcher3, it was huge, great graphics, quests and story were on point but the controls and combat really let it down for me.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually going to agree with Dark Souls if we're going off of OoT and RE4 as game of the decade due to how they inspired what came later.

Also I need to play TW3 at some point, though I keep hearing the combat is awful.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Witcher 3 is a contender, souls games are absolutely not though. Witcher 3 set a good standard for RPG's, though I would put BotW in there too because it's a phenomenal game in different ways.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Gameplay simply wasn't strong enough in The Witcher III for me to consider it.I played the game and both dlc's for nearly 200hrs and from the first sword swing to the very last the combat never felt anything more than very average.....my favorite part of the game was the world and gwent if I'm being honest....still a great game overall though.