• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sympathy towards a guy who liked a tweet basically calling anyone critical of EGS "retards?" Sympathy for death threats, sure, but not beyond that.

Start up a new thread specifically about the harassment if you want that to be the crux of the discussion. Bringing up the devs awful behavior in that context would of course be unwelcome.

I'm not the one that bumped this thread with the Epic's tweet about the harassment the devs received. The new discussion clouds over the original one. You are free to keep trying to talk about Epic's misdeeds against the PC gaming community, but don't be surprised people will think you are trying to justify whatever toxicity was directed towards the devs.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It would help if people could read the room. The subject moved on from "Ooblets took a deal with Epic" to "Ooblets' devs have been targeted by a harassment campaign." It's gotten to the point Epic had to release a press statement about it. Save the arguments against Epic for another thread (which is sure to show up soon enough). Take this time to reflect on the toxicity that is present in the gaming community and show some empathy towards the devs.

But this the the Ooblets Epic Deal announcement thread, the harassment is this one:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ep...on-abuse-see-staff-post.133131/#post-23368832

There's no reason people couldn't discuss both things.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The "oh well" attitude is exactly what I have myself toward the EGS store, as I've explained plenty of times before. This is a forum for that discussion in the first place. Discussion being key here. This is a more unique case where the Ooblets devs have certainly made it less palatable for me to follow the game at all
I wasn't talking about EGS, I was talking about the Ooblets Announcement Situation. The original blog post and some early responses cannot be discussed anymore because however nice you try to be about it, nothing good will come out of trying to "educate" the devs about the issues. That is all I meant.
Trying to have a discussion about their tone or whatever instead of standing behind them against the hate is simply mean.

And I repeat, it's not fake news. What that Epic post is about is the actual serious situation. The situation that is two people receiving death threats and have a rampaging hate mob harassing their whole community, not the flippant tone of the devs' messages.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm not the one that bumped this thread with the Epic's tweet about the harassment the devs received. The new discussion clouds over the original one. You are free to keep trying to talk about Epic's misdeeds against the PC gaming community, but don't be surprised people will think you are trying to justify whatever toxicity was directed towards the devs.

Don't do this dude, you are low key threatening the guy.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this has gotten way too vitriolic at this point. I may dislike what Epic's done but my goodness it doesn't deserve this level of anger. This is GamerGate levels of stupidity.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
But this the the Ooblets Epic Deal announcement thread, the harassment is this one:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic's-statement-on-misinformation-abuse-see-staff-post.133131/#post-23368832

There's no reason people couldn't discuss both things.
Had that tweet not been posted here, I'd agree with you. But the case is that the discussion got derailed to a new subject. You are free to try and get things back on the original topic, but I don't think it will work (or that it's useful, considering this thread was basically dead until that tweet).

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has gotten way too vitriolic at this point. I may dislike what Epic's done but my goodness it doesn't deserve this level of anger. This is GamerGate levels of stupidity.
This is how I feel as well, this whole saga feels a little uncomfortably similar to the early stages of GamerGate.

May 26, 2018
Feels like there were two stages to this. The first stage was mostly what I saw here on the site. Then the second stage came from elsewhere with the fakes and death threats.

Disgusting how easy it is for the internet to stage these things.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
The egs topics will continue to get uglier as long as it will be treated as a silly thing that will blow over. People have repeatedly said it loudly how much epic is disliked and yet each time an egs deal is announced everyone pretends to be caught off guard by the backlash

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Had that tweet not been posted here, I'd agree with you. But the case is that the discussion got derailed to a new subject. You are free to try and get things back on the original topic, but I don't think it will work (or that it's useful, considering this thread was basically dead until that tweet).

The tweet is related to the announcement that this thread is about, no?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Never had a problem with the EGS stuff in this case, that was well argued and fair enough, my problem was with Perplamps of Glumberland (of all people) being continually rude and antagonistic towards well-mannered people on their Discord. That (and the dismissive, condescending tone of the blog post) is why this blew up and something like Untitled Goose Game or Maneater or etc. did not.

But if you took offense at that, you ought to be able to empathize with the much worse situation Glumberland has had to endure. I didn't recognize it for a period of time that was too long, but for a while now we've been beyond the point where it makes sense to move on from that criticism and show Glumberland support against this gamer(tm) hell garbage.

EGS discussion will surely be impacted by this. Probably not in a good way. The ol' general narrative that's been dragging along since the start in February - of if you don't like EGS you're too lazy to click a different icon and are whining about petty things that don't matter - was already bubbling up as this Ooblets oordeal started, and I expect will continue to grow its foothold. Only now you're also an entitled toxic angry gamer asshole who hates developers. And developers will believe this narrative to a larger extent, and probably become more hostile to those who have issues with EGS. And also games media even more than before. And people in general.

Meanwhile all I've been saying is that I don't like EGS because games on it cost me up to 30% more. But through these almost six months, no one seems to want to listen to stuff like that. People just for some reason assume you dislike EGS for no reason. Then they hear the loud angry assholes and assume you're one.

The whole thing is stupid. I feel like it's better to basically just not bother with the topic any longer.
Both because people don't want to listen anyway, and because those angry gamer assholes are out there using it to justify their shitty behavior.
And because I've come to realize that waiting a year is a very valid option and not really that big of a deal to me. I'll just do that and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
This is how I feel as well, this whole saga feels a little uncomfortably similar to the early stages of GamerGate.
It's the evolution of GamerGate, the very same people. They are still doing what they have always been doing against women, but now they are also doing this and it's escalating just like any other alt-right movement.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The tweet is related to the announcement that this thread is about, no?
Yes, but it changes the focus of the discussion from the deal to the devs. For better or for worse, it's now impossible to discuss one without taking into account the other.

This is where I will stop this metadiscussion. Feel free to DM if you wish, but I don't see the point in repeating the same things in here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The egs topics will continue to get uglier as long as it will be treated as a silly thing that will blow over. People have repeatedly said it loudly how much epic is disliked and yet each time an egs deal is announced everyone pretends to be caught off guard by the backlash

Or maybe it's time for certain people to get a fucking grip, gain perspective about where all this shit sits in the grand scheme of life, and get over it.

May 26, 2018
Never had a problem with the EGS stuff in this case, that was well argued and fair enough, my problem was with Perplamps of Glumberland (of all people) being continually rude and antagonistic towards well-mannered people on their Discord. That (and the dismissive, condescending tone of the blog post) is why this blew up and something like Untitled Goose Game or Maneater or etc. did not.

But if you took offense at that, you ought to be able to empathize with the much worse situation Glumberland has had to endure. I didn't recognize it for a period of time that was too long, but for a while now we've been beyond the point where it makes sense to move on from that criticism and show Glumberland support against this gamer(tm) hell garbage.

EGS discussion will surely be impacted by this. Probably not in a good way. The ol' general narrative that's been dragging along since the start in February, of if you don't like EGS you're too lazy to click a different icon and are whining about petty things that don't matter, was already bubbling up as this Ooblets oordeal started, and I expect will continue to grow its foothold. Only now you're also an entitled toxic angry gamer asshole who hates developers. And developers will believe this narrative to a larger extent, and probably become more hostile to those who have issues with EGS. And also games media even more than before. And people in general.

Meanwhile all I've been saying is that I don't like EGS because games on it cost me up to 30% more. But through these almost six months, no one seems to want to listen to stuff like that. People just for some reason assume you dislike EGS for no reason. Then they hear the loud angry assholes and assume you're one.

The whole thing is stupid. I feel like it's better to basically just not bother with the topic any longer.
Both because people don't want to listen anyway, and because those angry gamer assholes are out there using it to justify their shitty behavior.
And because I've come to realize that waiting a year is a very valid option and not really that big of a deal to me. I'll just do that and leave it at that.

The conclusion I'm reaching too.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
All they had to do is say "We took the bag." Yikes. When it comes to selling your product, you already have to rely on people liking that product. If you give people a reason to dislike you, let alone so many, they will absolutely find it.

What's odd, is they did say that... They actually perfectly addressed it...

But they buried and surrounded it with a bunch of stuff seemingly intentionally prodding at the fans of the game that wouldnt like the change. That's why I still support the original blog post even though its poorly done. I cannot imagine any reason why you would willingly torpedo yourself like that; it forces me to assume that either they were just naive and didn't realize what they were doing; or it was an attempt at humor and they just FAILED. I refuse to believe this was intentional, it came out of nowhere.

May 26, 2018

But they buried and surrounded it with a bunch of stuff seemingly intentionally prodding at the fans of the game that wouldnt like the change. That's why I still support the original blog post even though its poorly done. I cannot imagine any reason why you would willingly torpedo yourself like that; it forces me to assume that either they were just naive and didn't realize what they were doing; or it was an attempt at humor and they just FAILED. I refuse to believe this was intentional, it came out of nowhere.

This whole thing is just so goddamn stupid argghhhhh

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Never underestimate the poor social awareness of brilliant indie designers

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't talking about EGS, I was talking about the Ooblets Announcement Situation. The original blog post and some early responses cannot be discussed anymore because however nice you try to be about it, nothing good will come out of trying to "educate" the devs about the issues. That is all I meant.
Trying to have a discussion about their tone or whatever instead of standing behind them against the hate is simply mean.

And I repeat, it's not fake news. What that Epic post is about is the actual serious situation. The situation that is two people receiving death threats and have a rampaging hate mob harassing their whole community, not the flippant tone of the devs' messages.

I fully agree, though I think it is perfectly valid in this thread to discuss the candour of the developers discussion in this case. I don't think I have to repeatedly post my agreement and "solidarity" every single time a discussion is brought up, post-internet idiots doing ridiculous things.
And there is a very significant difference between highlighting how both polar opposite sides of this trivialise each other with broad stroke discussion, hence my mention of "fake news" like tactics, vs actually broadly saying everything is fake - which it absolutely isn't. I doubt I made my point clear enough anyway, so apologises.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile all I've been saying is that I don't like EGS because games on it cost me up to 30% more. But through these almost six months, no one seems to want to listen to stuff like that. People just for some reason assume you dislike EGS for no reason.

There's legitimate criticism towards the Epic store from a consumer's viewpoint, because the store fundamentally has taken a developer first approach, not really offering much to users, aside from the free games (which admittedly is cool). Games on Epic store get more expensive where I live and I don't just like using Steam's controller support, it essential to the comfy couch experience to me. Epic is basically asking me to give up client controller support/reconfiguration and pay more for my games. In return I get the hassle of sharing my info and splitting my library with their launcher. It's not much of a sales pitch.

There's a lot of articles written about it, but I rarely see them approach the subject from the perspective of users. That's a little frustrating.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe it's time for certain people to get a fucking grip, gain perspective about where all this shit sits in the grand scheme of life, and get over it.

Who? The people making fakes, issuing death threats, and generally just going into the devs various channels and harassing them? I would certainly agree that those people need to get a grip, for sure.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Who? The people making fakes, issuing death threats, and generally just going into the devs various channels and harassing them? I would certainly agree that those people need to get a grip, for sure.

All those that have over the top rage reactions at the announcement of every new Epic exclusive.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All those that have over the top rage reactions at the announcement of every new Epic exclusive.

I guess it depends on how you define "over the top," but in general, I would agree. Still, in this thread, at least, I feel like most of the frustration and anger came as a result of the words in the blog post and the follow up statements made by the perplamps dude rather than the exclusivity deal itself.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

those pesky consumers and their opinions

you, an intellectual: people should just the shut the fuck up and deal with it

honestly i can't believe no one has figured this out before. you can apply this to almost any issue in the world. you absolute genius

topic: we're right at that point where people will begin to conflate legitimate criticisms of the egs, and subsequently this dev acting like a bellend, to the psychopaths responding with death threats and the like. the conservation will get muddled by it, and groups of people who agree with 90% of the issue will argue as if they are polar opposites, hugely caused by crazy pieces of garbage and bad actors. there is still a discussion to be had where we can all agree devs being threatened or needlessly harassed is 100% not ok

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it depends on how you define "over the top," but in general, I would agree. Still, in this thread, at least, I feel like most of the frustration and anger came as a result of the words in the blog post and the follow up statements made by the perplamps dude rather than the exclusivity deal itself.

Dude I was replying to was talking about the reactions to Epic in general

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
those pesky consumers and their opinions

you, an intellectual: people should just the shut the fuck up and deal with it

honestly i can't believe no one has figured this out before. you can apply this to almost any issue in the world. you absolute genius

I said cut the over the top rage and you translate that to "shut up"

K!

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said cut the over the top rage and you translate that to "shut up"

K!

"grand scheme of life" is an argument dismissal technique commonly used when faced with legitimate talking points

the dev, in this very thread, that you are posting in, literally used the same technique and whataboutism to say people should worry about child internment camps or climate change instead

so tell me friend, in the grand scheme of life, is it really worth responding to me? can i hit you with a "go outside and smell the fresh air, be happy you're alive, etc"?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"grand scheme of life" is an argument dismissal technique commonly used when faced with legitimate talking points

the dev, in this very thread, that you are posting in, literally used the same technique and whataboutism to say people should worry about child internment camps or climate change instead

so tell me friend, in the grand scheme of life, is it really worth responding to me? can i hit you with a "go outside and smell the fresh air, be happy you're alive, etc"?

If that'd make you feel better!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

You're referring to the blogpost, right? I feel like you're taking them out of context there, they were clearly referring to things which people should focus their vitriol, hatred and anger at... not fair criticism. Massive difference.

Nobody is saying you can't criticize them or have an opinion that you don't like it or things could be better another way; there no good reason to lump that in with death threats and harassment to try and say they're trying to dismiss talking points.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're referring to the blogpost, right? I feel like you're taking them out of context there, they were clearly referring to things which people should focus their vitriol, hatred and anger at... not fair criticism. Massive difference.

Nobody is saying you can't criticize them or have an opinion that you don't like it or things could be better another way; there no good reason to lump that in with death threats and harassment to try and say they're trying to dismiss talking points.

The blog post is still up. You can go read it. It was directed at anyone who might feel angry about their decision, not just those who would have more extreme reactions.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
haN4RCG.png

hJ36IKa.png

iq6BLPL.png
Every single thing said here is right even if the tone is a bit condescending. At the end of the day, as inconvenient and draconian as it might be to juggle launchers, this whole "fuck Epic and everyone who takes their cash" thing has gotten so insanely toxic, vitriolic and sickening.

These are people making video games with limited budgets and a lot of their personal time and health on the line in order to entertain YOU. If a deal helps them keep the lights on and allows their blood, sweat and tears to instantly get some monetary pay off and the only cost to the end user is downloading a free launcher that is separate from their preferred launcher, that's a damn nice deal.

If you believe that death threats, hate posts/tweets/messages or threats or commital of piracy are justified because of this, you're acting entitled and you're a trash person. Thems the breaks.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The blog post is still up. You can go read it. It was directed at anyone who might feel angry about their decision, not just those who would have more extreme reactions.

Maybe it's just my read then but I thought he was referring not to people who might feel angry, but people EXPRESSING their anger vehemently on the internet. Being angry doesn't always manifest in sending angry messages to developers, threatening to pirate copies, harassing them etc etc.. like, that shouldn't turn you into being toxic towards them, full stop. That irrational.

Like I said, I wouldn't lump them together.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"spiteful hate campaign" lol wut

Yes, that's how I chose to classify the dozens of hateful follow up posts by perplamps. It was ugly stuff.

Maybe it's just my read then but I thought he was referring not to people who might feel angry, but people EXPRESSING their anger vehemently on the internet. Being angry doesn't always manifest in sending angry messages to developers, threatening to pirate copies, harassing them etc etc.. like, that shouldn't turn you into being toxic towards them, full stop. That irrational.

Yes, of course, the garbage behavior by certain people deserves to be condemned. I did not get that read from the blog post, which also was written up and went out before anyone had any reactions.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Every single thing said here is right [...]
That's absolutely incorrect and not true at all. Any experiecened PR person would never release such a statement.
If you believe that death threats, hate posts/tweets/messages or threats or commital of piracy are justified because of this, you're acting entitled and you're a trash person. Thems the breaks.
That's something that I'd agree with.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single thing said here is right even if the tone is a bit condescending. At the end of the day, as inconvenient and draconian as it might be to juggle launchers, this whole "fuck Epic and everyone who takes their cash" thing has gotten so insanely toxic, vitriolic and sickening.

These are people making video games with limited budgets and a lot of their personal time and health on the line in order to entertain YOU. If a deal helps them keep the lights on and allows their blood, sweat and tears to instantly get some monetary pay off and the only cost to the end user is downloading a free launcher that is separate from their preferred launcher, that's a damn nice deal.

You're ignoring all of the arguments about why this is not just about EGS being just another launcher or not someone's preferred launcher. I'm assuming it's because you don't care, but spend even just a couple of seconds to see why other launchers that are not Steam (even those with their own exclusives) do not get the level of hate that EGS does.

Nobody reasonable in this thread (and hopefully this forum) believes this. Stop propping up strawmen just to beat them up. How about address actual people and their positions of which there are hundreds in this thread. No need for strawmen.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You're ignoring all of the arguments about why this is not just about EGS being just another launcher or not someone's preferred launcher. I'm assuming it's because you don't care, but spend even just a couple of seconds to see why other launchers that are not Steam (even those with their own exclusives) do not get the level of hate that EGS does.

Nobody reasonable in this thread (and hopefully this forum) believes this. Stop propping up strawmen just to beat them up. How about address actual people and their positions of which there are hundreds in this thread. No need for strawmen.
I'm well aware of the argument and reasons that people hate the EGS, I just think that when people are receiving death threats based on a video game launcher exclusivity deal that maybe it's time to put all of the business practices aside for a moment and come together to stand up for the human beings being threatened with physical violence and having their livelihood exploited by piracy. We're talking about two issues here - EGS exclusivity and threats made by countless members of the community - and one of them is so insignificant compared to the other that it's almost reckless to be concerned with the lesser of the two issues in a time like this.
That's absolutely incorrect and not true at all. Any experiecened PR person would never release such a statement.

That's something that I'd agree with.
I think it's operative to keep in mind that these AREN'T experienced PR people though. I understand the frustration with their tone here but what was the alternative, put out the same carefully crafted press release announcing Epic exclusivity that countless developers have that winds up yielding the same toxic and vicious reaction? Why not show some awareness of the situation while offering your reasoning, context and a bit of humor? Personally, I would take the earnest and sarcastic tone offered here over the corporate feeling press release that everyone else has done.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's operative to keep in mind that these AREN'T experienced PR people though. I understand the frustration with their tone here but what was the alternative, put out the same carefully crafted press release announcing Epic exclusivity that countless developers have that winds up yielding the same toxic and vicious reaction? Why not show some awareness of the situation while offering your reasoning, context and a bit of humor? Personally, I would take the earnest and sarcastic tone offered here over the corporate feeling press release that everyone else has done.
Insulting everyone that takes issues with the EGS isn't a humoristic approach.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm well aware of the argument and reasons that people hate the EGS, I just think that when people are receiving death threats based on a video game launcher exclusivity deal that maybe it's time to put all of the business practices aside for a moment and come together to stand up for the human beings being threatened with physical violence and having their livelihood exploited by piracy. We're talking about two issues here - EGS exclusivity and threats made by countless members of the community - and one of them is so insignificant compared to the other that it's almost reckless to be concerned with the lesser of the two issues in a time like this.

I think this is a crazy proposition, to be honest. We can only police our own community. If you see people on this forum advocating for piracy or threatening violence, then it's pretty easy to report those people, call them out, and have them removed from this forum. That kind of stuff is not acceptable, but the fact that extremists and shitty people exist must not be used as a justification to shut down legitimate criticisms.

Just about every EGS announcement that has gone overly negative for the developer (rather than Epic themselves) was because of dismissive or antagonist statements by the developers, or because the developers were somehow going back on what they had promised before taking the deal. I can't think of any huge controversies over a dev just taking the deal and being honest about it without the above.