• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
They know it has nothing to do with "buying on your preferred launcher", but hey, why let the truth get in the way of a good press release?

Glad they've got more money to keep things going, but today is the first time I've heard of Ooblets and sadly it sounds like a game I'd be interested in. Sadly because I don't like what Epic is doing and won't be supporting them or anyone they're moneyhatting for exclusivity.

Oct 27, 2017
RalOSV2.png

Seems like the payout was good for them

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Your take is that it won't make the game better because art is better when artists are struggling and therefore have more "constraints". I have a severe problem with that notion.

Again, not commenting on the overall decision or their tone. Just this.This attitude hurts artists all over the industry.

I was not trying to say that better art is made when people are struggling to eat or live. I was taking about inflated budgets and how those rarely lead to better products.

I was only referring to game budgets nothing to do with lively hood. I wouldn't want a studio to be close to death as a way to create art.

And I was not even saying I was totally right just that some very cool and creative thinking has come from applying clever use of technology or having to think outside the box that sometimes throwing more money at does not always solve.

Again to make sure I'm being clear I never implied or wanted to say people should not be able to work in a secure job or not get paid for what they do.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The line you're taking such issue with is explicitly about something you just agreed with, that suddenly throwing a bunch of money at something via outsourcing may not make the game better.
Except that "taking the money" does not equate to "outsourcing", for the vast majority of people. The original post doesn't mention outsourcing. It just vaguely implies that less money = better art. Which is a general statement that is rarely true.

However, I see the original poster is clarifying and I appreciate that. I just hate to see the attitude of "well we need hungry artists" that gets used in predatory behavior throughout the industry.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Even worse. Some Patreon supporter from Malaysia talking about his opinion:

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Here to show that it is meant for that and not just cut wrong:

I thought Ooblets looked really cool when I first saw it. It was definitely on my radar. Controversially, I think the EGS is a good thing and I am happy to see developers take advantage of deals (though there are clearly reasons for some people to be upset). However, I cannot look at that response and not feel disgusted. Honestly, it makes me feel icky on the inside. I fear I am going to associate Ooblets with that comment now. What a fucking shitty thing to say to someone who asked a VERY reasonable question. Yuck.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm that Perplamps person is uniformly hostile. I wouldn't recommend him to be hostile to anyone on a discord even the toxic people, just ban em. This person is hostile to kindly worded concerns! Even if Perplamps thinks these posters are making shit up don't get upset for crying out loud. Get a hold of yourself!

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Phil Fish is currently scrambling through damp boxes of FEZ 2 design documents because Epic is just funding straight up assholes now.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Given all the terrible responses to even the patreon supporters (which I think are even more interested/dedicated than a Kickstarter backer), I am now glad this EGS deal happened. It outted this dev as someone who absolutely does not care about their potential customers/fans.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Except that "taking the money" does not equate to "outsourcing", for the vast majority of people. The original post doesn't mention outsourcing. It just vaguely implies that less money = better art. Which is a general statement that is rarely true.

However, I see the original poster is clarifying and I appreciate that. I just hate to see the attitude of "well we need hungry artists" that gets used in predatory behavior throughout the industry.

Sorry that I came across insulting in that case. I'm a huge fan of amateur film and I often love seeing how they make use of smaller budgets compared to massive productions and how often the work feels way less "corporate" for lack of a better word.

I'm probably wrong and it's not a 1:1 comparison in the games industry but I viewed indies as that sort of thing in the gaming industry. I have seen some awesome work done like the game Hedon which is built on GZDoom engine but it's amazing the work the dev did with it to make a more modern retro shooter.

I have a friend that works as a freelance artist so I get how hard it can be and would never want people to be on the street over not taking EGS money.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaaaaannnnddd I'm officially out. It's clear they neither need nor want people to actually buy their product, so I won't.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I guess they're really just making a game for Tim now. Kinda amazing when you think about it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm seeing it being posted everywhere now, reddit, 4chan, the steam forums, here. I guess there bring attention to their project...

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how the blog post is shitty, you can choose to buy it or not. What did you expect the developer to say? Sorry cash grab lols, don't buy my game if your angry.

The response on social media with threats to pirate the game as payback alone warrants the reply.

The agenda over EGS gets silly at a point. if you don't like it you have the easy choice of not supporting the product.

Acting like exclusivity deals are somehow an issue? We've all supported developers, publishers or console makers who have done the same.

As for the game, I've followed it since day one and it'll be what most likely gets me to use EGS.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how the blog post is shitty, you can choose to buy it or not. What did you expect the developer to say? Sorry cash grab lols, don't buy my game if your angry.

The response on social media with threats to pirate the game as payback alone warrants the reply.

The agenda over EGS gets silly at a point. if you don't like it you have the easy choice of not supporting the product.

Acting like exclusivity deals are somehow an issue? We've all supported developers, publishers or console makers who have done the same.

As for the game, I've followed it since day one and it'll be what most likely gets me to use EGS.

Here is everything from the dev for now:

Sem_Titulo.png

tmHGd4m.png

001a4kro.jpg

Sem_Titulo.png

RalOSV2.png

Marketing tactic? 9 dimensional chess genius? Gamer Baby? I'll let you decide.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
BTW Rebecca is the artist and programmer, she does 90 percent of the work, and is generally soft spoken, polite, and very kind. Really sucks her partner is tanking the reputation of the project with all this bullshit, hope people don't take out there annoyance on her :(

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, that developer guy is classless like heck! It's almost humorous cause it's like a cartoon villain, all those toxic posts he's made can't be real. You put a little bit of money in someones pocket and they lose any sort of compassion for their fellow human beings.