• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Wow.

Even worse. Some Patreon supporter from Malaysia talking about his opinion:

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Here to show that it is meant for that and not just cut wrong:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, all they had to say was "we got a good offer and took it, it was a lot of money". They weren't a kickstarter that got funded with steam as the platform and their steam listing never went up for preorders so it's not some bait and switch/shitty situation like the games that have done that. Even without the sad story of "we needed the money to live, ps we had a publisher that we dropped 2 months ago" just "they gave us a ton of money so we went for it" is a fine reason to go exclusive.

Like I just don't understand why they felt the need for all the extra stuff.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how long this all-out attack on Steam is expected to last? Do they target a specific market share, or how does stuff like this work?

We have no idea, but they're probably hoping they can keep it up without sustaining too many losses, until they're well enough established that they can let the low store cut and no Unreal Engine royalty fee take over and do the work for them. If they get big enough that setup could pull many developers in on its own.

This is a serious attempt to take on Steam and maybe even more than that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them aquiring more developers like Psyonix and perhaps getting involved with subscriptions and/or streaming down the line. Epic seems to be dreaming big, even if us users are rejecting them.

VatticWave

Mar 2, 2018
You have a seriously strange conception of what both consumer rights and worker rights mean if you think they are any part of this discussion...

Do I? I not the one who put "consumer rights being hurt by Epic" into all the discussion about the EGS. And yup, workers being paid enough to finish their work I think it's better that having to worry about having water or light at their own homes.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
No. Wrong. Dumb. Artists deserve to be paid.

I never said people "didn't deserve to get paid" but thanks for taking the completely wrong take from what I said.

Edit: and fyi the Devs keep saying they don't even need customers so goes to show you how much they want to be "paid" for Their works anyway. Seems like only epics money is worth it lol.

May 26, 2018
I never said people "didn't deserve to get paid" but thanks for taking the completely wrong take from what I said.

Edit: and fyi the Devs keep saying they don't even need customers so goes to show you how much they want to be "paid" for Their works anyway. Seems like only epics money is worth it lol.

Are they literally saying they don't need customers? Or just inferring from their... deeply confusing unwillingness to keep doors open with their customer base?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wow.

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

The guy should just be quiet, all he's doing is throwing gasoline on a fire.
I feel like Perplamps's toxicity towards potential customers on his Discord warrants a separate topic, if only not to get buried under 20-some pages.
You should make one.

VatticWave

Mar 2, 2018
You know what, you're right. God you're so intellectual. Like. You have a multi-dimensional brain or something. I can't believe I thought I should have rights and protections as a consumer. For now on I'll just listen to what the super smart business people tell me. Clearly they're smarter than I, since they have more money and more bigger brains.

Uh-huh. You're not adding anything at all to the discussion but it's ok. Sorry If you felt dumb or something by reading my comment, I wasn't intending to insult anybody's intellect. But you know, because someone is offended, it doesn't mean he/she's right.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even necessarily agreeing with the person you're responding to, but where in the world did he or she imply that artists shouldn't be paid?
The implication is that developers should *not* take money up front for their work, the way every normal job in the universe does, if they're able to, because "real art comes from struggling" or some other bullshit stereotype thrown around to constantly and viciously undervalue and underpay artists.

Many indie developers struggle to make ends meet while they develop. And while maybe great profits may come after release, they are certainly no guarantee. Chastising a developer for *taking money for their work*, because you think artists somehow work better when they're struggling to put food on the table, is disgusting.

I'm not commenting on the overall decision or their tone in the blog, but that post is gross.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do I? I not the one who put "consumer rights being hurt by Epic" into all the discussion about the EGS. And yup, workers being paid enough to finish their work I think it's better that having to worry about having water or light at their own homes.

I'm pretty sure there was maybe one poster out of hundreds way earlier in the thread that even wrote "consumer rights" or referred to them. Why not reply to that poster's specific post with a quote instead of making some generalized statement that doesn't even apply to 99% of the posters in the thread.

Of course workers being paid enough to finish their work is great. That's not even what's in question here, though...

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Are they literally saying they don't need customers? Or just inferring from their... deeply confusing unwillingness to keep doors open with their customer base?
They're the guy that won the lottery, went into work just to give the finger to everyone and personally tell them, "fuck you, and fuck you, and fuck you too, and Daryl, you're okay, and fuck you and you".

What's yet to happen is when they go to get their lottery check and realize it wasn't actually enough to set them up for life.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Your take is that it won't make the game better because art is better when artists are struggling and therefore have more "constraints". I have a severe problem with that notion.

Again, not commenting on the overall decision or their tone. Just this.This attitude hurts artists all over the industry.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Your take is that it won't make the game better because art is better when artists are struggling and therefore have more "constraints". I have a severe problem with that notion.

Yeah that was my read on that post and I am not down with that whatsoever

I am not the best candidate for this given my shortcomings as a persuasive writer and my own vitriolic statements regarding this. Also, I'm about to watch Hobbs & Shaw in twenty minutes, so...

WEARIN BLACK SHADES
LIKE I'M BLADE IN THESE STREETS

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You'll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that's asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account (if you haven't already done so to play Fortnite which I KNOW YOU HAVE).
Yeah, and along with all the other quotes I could pull, I don't appreciate their attitude, to put it lightly, and I won't forget it. These will not be devs I will support.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I mean, Epic would not be giving anyone money if there was any risk of the game not coming together. It's disingenuous to call that "funding interesting games" or however you phrased it. They're guaranteeing a certain level of revenue to developers of interesting games, but not funding interesting games. You could interpret that as funding that studios future games, but not the ones that get moneyhatted.

Both Epic and Apple are out there right now signing exclusivity deals. Both companies know that it's possible that some of those deals don't pan out for them; both are taking risks to fill their platforms with content. In Apple's case, those games are exclusive to a mobile platform, in Epic's case they are exclusive to a launcher.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not buying anything from a company because they're rude is... perfectly normal honestly.
Yeah. I'm not personally doing that, but it's perfectly understandable.

Were my thoughts before recent developments...
Now I might actually commit to it. It's like, really close.

Saying to a person interested in buying their game, but who can't because of this EGS deal, that they are not owed the ability to buy it?
That is just straight up goading people to go: "Well, you're not owed me buying your game."

It seems now that he's gotten paid and is no longer dependent on sales, he has ceased to care about the people who would provide them.
It's like, if you don't care about the people who would play it, or if they're even able to, then why are you even making it? Just shut it down and go be a farmer or something.
What is the context here? Who is it that he's referring to as baby gamers?

Wow.

tmHGd4m.png

Answer to that:

001a4kro.jpg

Really? Wow. Ok. Fuck this guy. Fuck his game and fuck his company.

Ooblets seemed like a jolly old time, but it turns out it was somehow made by its antithesis, who I absolutely do not want to support, and it would be impossible for me to divorce from the happy fun times I would try and fail to have with this game now.

Jesus Christ. Please keep this game Epic.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to see such ire towards consumers avoiding the EGS considering that it is that avoidance which will continue to afford (chosen) developers these sorts of opportunities. If games generally sold well on the EGS compared to Steam then Epic wouldn't have much motive to offer these kinds of advance payments to incentivize developers.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The devs seem to really like their fans:

Sem_Titulo.png

If someone cant see the image. Someone asks that they cant buy the game through EGS, since his country isnt supported yet and would have to pay USD.
Answer:

"No one owes you the game. Just wait."

Thing is is that they aren't even wrong but it's still a shitty as fuck thing to say and a bad look. Much like all of this, they didn't even have to say anything and look worse for deciding to. What they really need is actual PR and focus on making the game instead of responding but saying nothing at all would be better than that.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We have no idea, but they're probably hoping they can keep it up without sustaining too many losses, until they're well enough established that they can let the low store cut and no Unreal Engine royalty fee take over and do the work for them. If they get big enough that setup could pull many developers in on its own.

This is a serious attempt to take on Steam and maybe even more than that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them aquiring more developers like Psyonix and perhaps getting involved with subscriptions and/or streaming down the line. Epic seems to be dreaming big, even if us users are rejecting them.
The most annoying thing is, the dev share and license cut should have been the flag that Epic waved from day dot. Instead they temper with their own winnings of Fortnite to throw cash at desperate indie devs and greedy AAA devs in hopes of garnering quicker user numbers and all while claiming some Trump-like "anti-tax" speech on Steam.

They seriously had a winning formula and then went to fuck it all over by taking away consumer options of purchase through exclusives. I was actually seriously keen for EGS when it was first announced back in December as a means of competition in the PC space as not just a new contender but with the added dev share bonus being so good, but they went and fucked all that up by literally stealing away Kickstarter games or titles like Metro at the stroke of midnight. I mean, one would argue that is poor company decisions but then you read what Tim Sweeney says on a daily basis and you question whether it is just Trump in gaming clothes.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The implication is that developers should *not* take money up front for their work, the way every normal job in the universe does, if they're able to, because "real art comes from struggling" or some other bullshit stereotype thrown around to constantly and viciously undervalue and underpay artists.

Many indie developers struggle to make ends meet while they develop. And while maybe great profits may come after release, they are certainly no guarantee. Chastising a developer for *taking money for their work*, because you think artists somehow work better when they're struggling to put food on the table, is disgusting.

I'm not commenting on the overall decision or their tone in the blog, but that post is gross.

That's not how I interpreted the post at all.

That poster just expressed the belief that art made under a budget often turns out more creative, which is a sentiment I have heard expressed countless times, but did not say that the two people working on the game right now should not pursue money or be compensated handsomely for their work. I think his point was that throwing a bunch of money to hire more team members or outsource a bunch of assets at this stage will not necessarily make a better overall game.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with him or her, but I think you're wildly misunderstanding the underlying sentiment.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Epic and Apple are out there right now signing exclusivity deals. Both companies know that it's possible that some of those deals don't pan out for them; both are taking risks to fill their platforms with content. In Apple's case, those games are exclusive to a mobile platform, in Epic's case they are exclusive to a launcher.

I don't know much about what Apple is up to, but Epic's risk is extremely low. They know the games they are buying up exclusivity for are already near completion, are fun games, and that they already have a following and large potential audience. In terms of user acquisition costs, they are getting an insane value with these deals.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of features with EGS is something that hasn't (yet) affected me enough for me to care all that much, but god damn this guy is being an idiot lol.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how I interpreted the post at all.

That poster just expressed the belief that art made under a budget often turns out more creative, which is a sentiment I have heard expressed countless times, but did not say that the two people working on the game right now should not pursue money or be compensated handsomely for their work. I think his point was that throwing a bunch of money to hire more team members or outsource a bunch of assets at this stage will not necessarily make a better overall game.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with him or her, but I think you're wildly misunderstanding the underlying sentiment.
The issue is the following:

Scenario A: The two developers have a working salary, and will use additional funds to hire more artists/add more cooks/whatever.

Scenario B: They are not being paid for their development work and will use funds to be able to properly give themselves a salary.

I don't know their exact situation, but in the case of 99% of debut indie developers, it's Scenario B. I agree that suddenly outsourcing a bunch of art may not make the game better, but the implication of "these artists shouldn't take this money because it will make the game worse" is, at best, a wildly uninformed statement and should never have been made.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the context here? Who is it that he's referring to as baby gamers?

Surely anyone who has expressed any degree of animosity as a result of this blog post. The deal is done and there's no turning back. Now it's all about circling the wagons, identifying who is with you and who isn't, and dehumanizing the enemy in order to justify your decision.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
These dev posts.

Looks like they made the right call taking the Epic money because there was no way they weren't going to be shitheads to their fans and tank their sales.

Know thyself, I suppose.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is the following:

Scenario A: The two developers have a working salary, and will use additional funds to hire more artists/add more cooks/whatever.

Scenario B: They are not being paid for their development work and will use funds to be able to properly give themselves a salary.

I don't know their exact situation, but in the case of 99% of debut indie developers, it's Scenario B. I agree that suddenly outsourcing a bunch of art may not make the game better, but the implication of "these artists shouldn't take this money because it will make the game worse" is, at best, a wildly uninformed statement and should never have been made.

Take a second to re-read the post you responded to:

I'm not going to pretend I know this game and I wish nothing but good wishes for the Devs but does anyone else think this whole "this will make our game better" a bit of a silly statement?

I mean most art made under a limited budget tends to work out better than pumping money into it. Restriction usually breeds creative works.

One thing for sure is that Epic will never stop doing this. At this point no one is going to not take bags of money up front so the PC industry is forever changed now.

The line you're taking such issue with is explicitly about something you just agreed with, that suddenly throwing a bunch of money at something via outsourcing may not make the game better.

The poster even sent his or her good wishes to devs... If anything the implication is that they did a smart thing for taking the money. The post was just casting doubt on the idea that this money can be meaningfully spent to create an ultimately better game at this stage.