• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 26, 2018
There is even more:

Sem_Titulo.png

Like, did they come into the deal with a chip on their shoulders against potential buyers?

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Holy shit at that perplamps guy, he really got some issues. If you think your audience is a necessary evil maybe you should work on another industry.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I honestly have nothing against games that sign with Epic. I completely understand why they would, and to be honest I don't mind using the Epic Game Store. That said, man the PR for this particular decision wasn't the best huh.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
The devs seem to really like their fans:

Sem_Titulo.png

If someone cant see the image. Someone asks that they cant buy the game through EGS, since his country isnt supported yet and would have to pay USD.
Answer:

"No one owes you the game. Just wait."
Maybe someone should go ahead and tell this team to just go offline for a while.

Maybe put the shovels down while they're at it. Because this isn't going to be something they can just go "we're just joking" or "we didn't mean to be disingenuous" their way out of like they were attempting to do with the blog post.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, look, I can respect the hustle. If you're an indie dev looking to fund development, I can understand taking the Epic Games check. Even though the EGS is a goddamn shitshow, I'm not gonna rag on you for taking free money.

But you really, really shouldn't act like a condescending asshole about it and then attempt to deflect anger through whataboutism. Especially to people who want to buy your game, but now can't because of actual legitimate restrictions on the store. You're right climate change is an issue, so how about you donate the EGS check you just got to charity? Be the hero you want others to be.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that message is that we don't want companies funding interesting video games.

Bullshit.

Epic is not doing that. They are buying exclusivity to games that are already near completion and already have a large degree of interest. Epic is taking very little risk with these deals.

You don't see many people railing against Sony and Microsoft for funding platform exclusives for a good reason.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, as some of what they're saying is absolutely true and needs to be said. But some of these subsequent messages to fans are just wow. If anyone where I work were to talk to fans like that they'd be fired, or at the very least disciplined swiftly.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, as some of what they're saying is absolutely true and needs to be said. But some of these subsequent messages to fans are just wow. If anyone where I work were to talk to fans like that they'd be fired, or at the very least disciplined swiftly.
The joys of self employment.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The devs seem to really like their fans:

Sem_Titulo.png

If someone cant see the image. Someone asks that they cant buy the game through EGS, since his country isnt supported yet and would have to pay USD.
Answer:

"No one owes you the game. Just wait."
Me: Hey can I buy this thing?
Them: No sorry it is only available in this store and if you complain your a shit person
Me: Oh but I can't actually get to that store, does that make me a shit person because I can't even choose to do so?
Them: Yes

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with these developers? I mean sell your game on EGS, that's fine, why the need to launch a preemptive nuclear strike against all "gamers"?

Do they think everyone who doesn't buy from EGS is a gamergater? Such a weird thing to do.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair for perplamps, he did apologize in an earlier page for the situation in general so these might just be old messages.

If not, then oof.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, gamers are trash for not supporting devs for taking the guaranteed route for their game to break even/be profitable. For as much as gamers decry the instablity and layoffs in the industry, they get really pissed about having to install a free client.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I will be your PR consultant and will make sure your game studio avoids fuckups like that with my special skill: common sense!

PM me now!

Edit: Hey THQ, hire me! I am worth it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, gamers are trash for not supporting devs for taking the guaranteed route for their game to break even/be profitable.
This game was going to make back its money through whatever store they sold on, EGS wasn't a factor in them suddenly being profitable. All that this has done is allowed the devs security in a cheque for initial sales with no promise on future sales or long-term profits. Also I love your quick edit to add even further pointless whataboutism's to the discussion, especially because it never has been about it being a "launcher" but what that launcher is trying to achieve in the PC gaming market.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the inevitable article about how this poor two-person team was mobbed by the evil gamers, totally unprovoked of course.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has no horse in this race, I think they should have avoided that snarky blog post. All they had to say was epic is paying us to bring the game to their store exclusively and we took it to keep the lights on/job security/feed the children etc... then again maybe this was a way to drum up publicity for the game.

VatticWave

Mar 2, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Trolling and Misrepresenting Other Users; Account in Junior Phase
I knew this would be coming. Why, you say? All the main reasons for the anti-EGS rage are just consumer-biased, never thinking about development issues. Unreal Engine license, plus extra funds and the added discoverability (just a few games at EGS vs the tens of thousands in other stores) is something which can hardly be rejected.

Also, he's obviously right. I've been reading a bunch of users in this forum sarcastically saying "but it's just another launcher". Not only is another launcher, but it is also a free one.

I am a person who doesn't put consumer rights above worker rights. Assuming that EGS is "hurting" my "rights" as a consumer, that is (they probably gave more than 200$ in games for free, but whatever).

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Honestly, gamers are trash for not supporting devs for taking the guaranteed route for their game to break even/be profitable. For as much as gamers decry the instablity and layoffs in the industry, they get really pissed about having to install a free client.

Nah, there are more important things to worry about than some arrogant game developers who think the world owes them money. Maybe when they close the doors to their business, they can come fight climate change with me.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this would be coming. Why, you say? All the main reasons for the anti-EGS rage are just consumer-biased, never thinking about development issues. Unreal Engine license, plus extra funds and the added discoverability (just a few games at EGS vs the tens of thousands in other stores) is something which can hardly be rejected.

Also, he's obviously right. I've been reading a bunch of users in this forum sarcastically saying "but it's just another launcher". Not only is another launcher, but it is also a free one.

I am a person who doesn't put consumer rights above worker rights. Assuming that EGS is "hurting" my "rights" as a consumer, that is (they probably gave more than 200$ in games for free, but whatever).
Well, I got a bingo.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You have a seriously strange conception of what both consumer rights and worker rights mean if you think they are any part of this discussion...

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Oct 25, 2017
damn, I had no idea Epic funded every game ever made!

Never said that.

Epic represents the entire planet now! Truly they've grown to epic proportions

Or that.

Bullshit.

Epic is not doing that. They are buying exclusivity to games that are already near completion.

The games are near completion, so there is still development left to do. The last 10 or so percent of of a game's development is where the rubber hit's the road in my experience. There is a huge difference in outcomes depending on the resources available.Most games are kinda hot trash till the very end and the more resources that can be spent putting things right, the better. Epic stepping in and forking out cash to help these games hit the finish line is a good thing for the overall quality of these games.

This certainly isn't true in the case of every Epic exclusive, but it seems to very much be the case in the instance of Ooblets.

Epic ain't funding jack.

Other than the part where they are giving developers money to make video games. Yes, this comes in the form of guaranteed sales targets, but that is exactly the sort of deal that indie devs want because it gives us one of the things we value most, predictability.

Epic ain't funding jack.

Other than the part where they are giving developers money to make video games.
Epic cant even fund their own damn store to get a damn shopping cart functional. What makes you think they're funding multiple games that they have no ownership over?

The things that makes me think this are the public statements of multiple developers and my own conversations with friends.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California

You know what, you're right. God you're so intellectual. Like. You have a multi-dimensional brain or something. I can't believe I thought I should have rights and protections as a consumer. For now on I'll just listen to what the super smart business people tell me. Clearly they're smarter than I, since they have more money and more bigger brains.

Oct 27, 2017

yeah at this point it is getting a tad bit difficult to spot sarcasm from actual beliefs. I mean my sarcasm detector is just displaying "fuck this for a game of soldiers I give up". If you really believe this then you really are not a very "clued" up person.

As for this Ooblets shit to be honest I am glad this has happened I am glad the developers have been shown to be pretty nasty and toxic and will happily not support them even when they drag their sorry arse over to steam.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games are near completion, so there is still development left to do. The last 10 or so percent of of a game's development is where the rubber hit's the road in my experience. There is a huge difference in outcomes depending on the resources available.Most games are kinda hot trash till the very end and the more resources that can be spent putting things right, the better. Epic stepping in and forking out cash to help these games hit the finish line is a good thing for the overall quality of these games.

This certainly isn't true in the case of every Epic exclusive, but it seems to very much be the case in the instance of Ooblets.

Nah, I mean, Epic would not be giving anyone money if there was any risk of the game not coming together. It's disingenuous to call that "funding interesting games" or however you phrased it. They're guaranteeing a certain level of revenue to developers of interesting games, but not funding interesting games. You could interpret that as funding that studios future games, but not the ones that get moneyhatted.

No. Wrong. Dumb. Artists deserve to be paid.

I'm not even necessarily agreeing with the person you're responding to, but where in the world did he or she imply that artists shouldn't be paid?