• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing Ooblets on the PC gaming show (think it was the first one) and thought hm that looks like fun. Not heard about it for a while and this is how it resurfaces. Yeah I think I will steer clear of Toxic developers like this.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You have got to be kidding me here. This is acceptable in Era now? Or is it because he said "looks like" that it's okay to do?

When we quote blog posts that are offensive on a personal level to anyone who doesn't agree with who wrote the post I have every right to express my opinion on that with the same tone. That's why you don't do that, if you have any clue on how the world works. Unless you're willingly looking to generate outrage, that is.

Are you the dev or somehow related to the dev?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm not putting my head ahead of others, I'm only saying that EGS is setting a good precedent. Lots of devs might not get directly benefited from it, but this is a new standard on how storefronts should treat creators and it's opposing and establishment that didn't bother in making things easy for us. In the long run this is the best for the industry as much as it pains you. I'm just tired my words getting twisted by a mob in an internet forum.

I don't think your words are being twisted. Just because people do not agree with what you're saying does not mean you are being misunderstood. I think you are wrong and what you are saying is bad, but that's OK, we don't have to agree.

I think the trend that Epic is establishing, should it become the dominant force in the future, is bad for the industry. If getting a sweetheart deal and "proper curation" by one of the benevolent storeholders becomes crucial to being successful, than that is going to push a whole lot of developers right out of the picture. As a consumer, I vastly prefer how things are now compared to when indie games had to be blessed by Microsoft to get an XBLA slot back in the earlier 360 days, for example.

Plum

May 31, 2018
fAd8fny.png

And the other dev is avatar shaming people (reminds of a gaf thread)
Yv2mfxh.png

I'm going to make the assumption that these developers don't take PR seriously.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't really change my decision to get this on PC, the game looks cool and if it helps out the developer I'm happy to buy it wherever.

This EGS boycott baffles me, although i have never really been invested and dedicated to a single storefront, heck I have some pc games on disc that I still play occasionally.

Well the Devs don't even need you to buy it to support them now lol.

I'm not invested in a single store front. I have all consoles and I use all stores on PC other than EGS because of the multiple issues with the store and the general attitude of Epic, Tim and apparently Devs that feel the need to be condensing towards its custom base.

There is lots of information on why EGS and Epic are being problematic If you care to learn.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
If I agree with Tim Sweeney when he says he's doing this to support indie devs, and now a select few are getting guaranteed pay-outs, wouldn't the logical thing for me to do is support every dev that DOESN'T get an EGS deal? Indie devs who take the deal (which I support them doing if they decide it's the right thing for them) don't need my money, so there's no reason for me to give it to them when there is already 1000 titles that I still need to play. Is the best way for me as a consumer that aligns with Tim's stated goals be to NEVER buy anything from EGS because those devs already got theirs but there's still plenty of others to support?

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
THEY LITERALLY HAVE A PEPE EMOTE IN THEIR CHAT RIGHT THERE
It's possible that its not in their server, but anyone can post that emote from a different server, and then other people can 'stack' it. Just takes one user with Discord Nitro or a linked Twitch account with the right subscription.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things. And I'm not in their server so I can't verify.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't play many online games apart from Overwatch so yeah probably, but I do understand I am the minority in that respect.

But I don't think this game has online multiplayer.

I'm talking about the features of the platform. Even in a single player game on Steam you might have parties doing game broadcasts or sharing the game with family members. Players lose a lot when games aren't released on Steam.

This isn't to bootlick for Valve. If another platform on PC has more advanced features and a better UI than Steam, I would absolutely consider using it. EGS is not even promising to match Valve's feature set. They're already months behind on basic features their roadmap promises.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The devs are doing major damage control on their discord. Telling anyone who thought the post was condescending "not to buy their game because they weren't going to buy it in the first place"

They need to tell themselves that, I'm sure. The damage has been done and the deal has been made. There's no going back, so they need to treat everyone who is having a negative reaction as the enemy.

Oct 25, 2017
Feel good story, glad they don't have to stress too much about failing. Takes a lot of pressure off.

Next Epic should start giving out free game themed skins for Fortnite. Make it a platinum level trophy thing if they ever add them (not a fan of trophies with no reward). Imagine the sales of random games just for skins in Fortnite. $$$$$$$$$$$$
This actually would be cool. Like TF2 hats and stuff like that.

Could even be a reason to buy a "multiplatform" game on their store, for people who care about Fortnite.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
User banned (3 days): inappropriate point of comparison
I hate it

People are taking the blog post as a direct attack on them and their sensibilities, which basically means the usual reaction to this got magnified 10x

Challenge invites conflict
Why are you surprised?

That is the equivalent of
- "Anime was a mistake"
- writing on an enthusiast forum that they or their hobby is weird and other profanities
- saying racist stereotypes to POC

Lighting the fire and watching the house burn while they snicker in the background.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why are you surprised?

That is the equivalent of
- "Anime was a mistake"
- writing on an enthusiast forum that they or their hobby is weird and other profanities
- saying racist stereotypes to POC

Lighting the fire and watching the house burn while they snicker in the background.

I am unsurprised

You lost me on the third one though

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I agree with Tim Sweeney when he says he's doing this to support indie devs, and now a select few are getting guaranteed pay-outs, wouldn't the logical thing for me to do is support every dev that DOESN'T get an EGS deal? Indie devs who take the deal (which I support them doing if they decide it's the right thing for them) don't need my money, so there's no reason for me to give it to them when there is already 1000 titles that I still need to play. Is the best way for me as a consumer that aligns with Tim's stated goals be to NEVER buy anything from EGS because those devs already got theirs but there's still plenty of others to support?

it depends on how Tim feels about climate change

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Well I hope you enjoy it the game then and that whatever money they got is used right and the game is good.

I have sadly many many games now that I can not get to play on my PC that I have been following (like control and mechwarrior) due to EGS so I'm probably too invested in how shitty this is making the PC space.

I wish I could just use EGS like it doesn't matter but I just don't want to reward Epic for making moves like this. Clearly the Devs will be ok regardless of me.

I know why they took the money but surely even you can see long term why EGS is problematic?
Yeah, I get the arguments. I tend to stay on my lane as it's not my battle, though, since I rarely even play on PC.

When it comes to the devs in cases like this, I think it comes down to either taking the money or taking a stance. And not all will have the luxury of affording the latter. I wish they just weren't asses about it :P

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'll be petty as fuck and donate the price of their game, when announced, to charity because "there are way more important things to worry about than a game going exclusive".

At least I'll do some good and they clearly don't need my money now.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A recurring issue that Epic is uncovering is quite how disconnected many developers, publishers and the games press are from their respective audiences on the PC platform. This is hands down the worst example yet of a developer demonstrating that they have absolutely zero idea what they're doing regarding marketing and PR.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend not reading into that Patreon thing, payment processing can be on different days and you're locked in after a certain date, it isn't always beginning on month
Their Patreon is charge up front and is charged on the 1st of every month. This can't be changed once selected by the owner and people pledging can't opt to have it charge on a different day outside of the initial charge which is done on the day you pledge.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
."Our blog post was not condescending, but let me reply with more condescension by saying people who think it was condescending wouldn't have bought it anyway and are toxic gamers. Also, I totally am going to ignore your opinion anyway because I don't like your avatar."

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I get the arguments. I tend to stay on my lane as it's not my battle, though, since I rarely even play on PC.

When it comes to the devs in cases like this, I think it comes down to either taking the money or taking a stance. And not all will have the luxury of affording the latter. I wish they just weren't asses about it :P

It should be your battle as It sucks in the console space too :)

I hated the Rise of the Tomb Raider deal MS made and that was shit for the game and the Dev in the long run.

They really didn't have to go all your toxic if you don't agree and fuck you we got paid lol.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Baffling blog post. Game looked neat, I would've been fine waiting for the eventual steam release, and I personally can't fault a legit indie for taking this deal. It's different with a two person team like this vs something where the publisher is going to be the one profiting most off the deal. Why in the world would you antagonize your audience lmao. There are more games that I want to play that i could possibly hope to, as easy as it is to wait to support it on my preferred platform I can just as easily not support it at all, and why should I when you're total assholes lol

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is lots of information on why EGS and Epic are being problematic If you care to learn.
Sure, I absolutely care to learn, I do understand and sympathise with the argument that it does have limited features, which does cause problems for some players, but this doesn't effect me personally as I almost always play single player games.

However if there is something ethically problematic about the EGS I would really like to know as I don't want to support companies that actively harm people.

May 26, 2018
Goddamnit. This game was on my steam wishlist and I was getting worried about them not updating in a long time. Turns out they ran out of funds so had to do the Epic store thing. So disheartening. Game might as well be canceled for me regardless :(

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
A recurring issue that Epic is uncovering is quite how disconnected many developers, publishers and the games press are from their respective audiences on the PC platform. This is hands down the worst example yet of a developer demonstrating that they have absolutely zero idea what they're doing regarding marketing and PR.

Remember when Epic stopped doing PC releases and called all PC players pirates?

Sure, I absolutely care to learn, I do understand and sympathise with the argument that it does have limited features, which does cause problems for some players, but this doesn't effect me personally as I almost always play single player games.

However if there is something ethically problematic about the EGS I would really like to know as I don't want to support companies that actively harm people.

Actively harm people? No they don't do that as far as I know. EDIT: forgot about the crunch of the fornite Devs.

Most of it comes down to how you feel about your rights as a consumer and your feelings on the ethics of capitalism.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Good to see public information that epic is giving sales gaurantees, not straight money. Epic can potentially afford to do this for a looong time in that case.

edit- also, this thread is further evidence that it's a win-win for developers. Not having to deal with ya'll as players and much more financial stability.

Yeah! The world could be so much better if Developers could just make games, get money and don't need to pander to things like... customers. Brrr, get those peons out of my way!

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
oh well. i guess i'll remove this from my steam wishlist and put it on my egs wishlist so i know when it releases

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
User warned: "lazy dev" rhetoric is not allowed. Please review our FAQ.
Is "lazy devs" justified when they take a lazy shortcut to easy money, rather than doing their best to sell the product they've been working on for years to the people meant to play it? Or when they attempt to justify said shortcut with intellectually lazy and dishonest rhetoric?

Either way, as someone who has been following this game for several years by now, I am deeply disappointed by this outcome. Literally went from a day one purchase to something I might at most get as a bundled goodie now, all because of the dev's toxic behavior.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow

Instead of just announcing that they're going exclusive they're also shitty about it.

I believe I am now at a point where developers don't care about my wants I won't care about their wants neither ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Part of the reason they responded like this is because there exists a contingency of people who will give them shit for their decision.