• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol that post. Good for them for getting paid, I don't begrudge them. but they'd have been better off not writing that.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly contemplating dropping PC gaming altogether. I don't need this toxicity in my life. That dev blog post, in its feeble attempt to call it out, is rolling in the mud all the same.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
18% more of revenue compared to Steam is not making things easier for developers. And you, a gamer, are the one to tell a developer that. Right.

EGS is benefiting the industry and developers especially. And yes, EGS offer deals to high profile titles, but that higher revenue and proper curation are still there for the rest.

It's better for a very small select number of developers who can make a deal with Epic. Everyone else is left in the cold.

Getting more revenue for your game per sale is always going to be a good thing, assuming that you sell the same number. Then again, a lot of the tools that Steam provides are also a good thing. It's up to each developer to decide how to run their business, but shitting all over potential customers doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Also, do note that there are a good number of posters on this forum who also work in the industry and aren't just gamers.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They already did. That's the magic of it, you don't need to sell games to get loads of money.

Who says a lot of the state of the PC market, honestly.
I mean they really didn't. Epic is sorta buying developers without needing to buy them with their strategies if you really think about it.

You become a EGS Exclusive, and a large chunk of your fanbase turns on you, and therefore trashing sales on any other platforms. The developer is happy because they made a sales target, but now if they were to go back to another platform they'd have a lot less sales, and in return would happily sign another EGS contract because they know it's going to make money.

This is legitimately ruining devs and it's not good at all. It's not magic. It's playing the system in a really scummy way.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
18% more of revenue compared to Steam is not making things easier for developers. And you, a gamer, are the one to tell a developer that. Right.

EGS is benefiting the industry and developers especially. And yes, EGS offer deals to high profile titles, but that higher revenue and proper curation are still there for the rest.

99% of devs don't get 18% more cut.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

Benefiting the industry as a whole? Don't see how. Benefiting developers? Ok fair as long as you are only talking about developers that are offered and accept EGS exclusivity. Proper curation? EGS has no curation whatsoever other than selling games that sign exclusivity agreements.

Sep 14, 2018
This is pretty much why devs say nothing. Someone tries to make a non-PR statement that pokes fun at certain people and others get personally offended.

It doesn't take much to avoid human rights abuses whataboutism.

Classic priviledged white people, only mention other people's suffering when it's convenient. Isn't making light of human rights abuses hilarious? No, it's actually very offensive and stupid and unnecessary.

So if it's between devs saying nothing and this garbage they should stay quiet.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Now we can just focus on making the game without worrying about keeping the lights on. The upfront money they're providing means we'll be able to afford more help and resources to start ramping up production and doing some cooler things.

Good enough reasoning for me, even if the rest of the post is poking the hornet's nest a bit lol

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly contemplating dropping PC gaming altogether. I don't need this toxicity in my life. That dev blog post, in its feeble attempt to call it out, is rolling in the mud all the same.

There are tons of options for great games from developers that don't engage in deals with EGS. I'm getting along just fine completely avoiding Epic and their scummy practices.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Since you replied in a respectful manner I will respond likewise. The fact of the matter is the quality of the game does not always guarantee success. So while yes in a perfect world the "quality of their game would be enough to achieve" the money they need, this is not a perfect world. I have played many unknown gems in my time as a video gamer, and I can promise you there are great games out there that have made no money.

Likewise, there are games that I think are bad that have made plenty of money. Quality =/= reward. It certainly helps, but it does not equal nor guarantee.

Also, competition can mean many things. For a store to "compete" with a massively adapted store they must do some drastic things. Epic is providing competition. It may not be the "competition" some want, but to classify "competition" as being good so this is bad, is to deny the "competition" that Epic is providing.

It isn't a perfect world, but i think its important to strive toward that goal. There are systemic problems with game development and specifically indie game development and deployment that the peopel behind Ooblets and other games have to deal with and that is a reality, but anti consumer practices and supporting them dont go towards fixing those problems.

We shouldn't be dismissive of people that have legitimate concerns supporting epic. The competition certainly isnt that kind that consumers want because its honestly very destructive. It's almost anti competition. Epic is not an underdog here, they have loads of cash and are using it to shoehorn themselves into a market by basically holding games hostage. It's like if two supermarkets are next to each other and they both sell produce but one of them makes a deal that they will be the only ones to sell chicken. Not different chicken or higher quality chicken, or cheaper chicken, Just chicken. You can technically still buy "food" from the other store but you can only buy chicken here. It isnt good for the consumer and it isnt the competition we want or need. It would be better if Epic bought the studios they get exclusives from. At least we could say that they make their own product. But making these deals on indevidual terms allows them to hold far more games creates a market of "choice" by giving us no choice. At least for now, I will happily support Ooblets when it is not on EGS ,but no-one should be astounded by a negative response to this. It is absolutely justified.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, epic paying you cash to make up for your sales target in exchange for you being exclusive to their platforms is like social media influencers/streamers using bots to boost their numbers. Yes, you get the numbers, but inorganic growth will hurt you long term

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
User Banned (3 days): Trolling
As soon as I saw this blog post I came racing to Era to see all the salt.

Y'all are gonna be disappointed to find that the majority of devs take the exact same view as the Ooblets devs—which, coincidentally, if someone posted like that in an EGS thread, would probably get them banned for "trolling".

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't take much to avoid human rights abuses whataboutism.

Classic priviledged white people, only mention other people's suffering when it's convenient. Isn't making light of human rights abuses hilarious? No, it's actually very offensive and stupid and unnecessary.

So if it's between devs saying nothing and this garbage they should stay quiet.

But they "did the thing!" woohoo... so goofy and funny and bearded and flannel. We're just a bunch of indie nerds with a funny art style!

As soon as I saw this blog o ost I came racing to Era to see all the salt.

Y'all are gonna be disappointed to find that the majority of devs take the exact same view as the Ooblets devs—which, coincidentally, if someone posted like that in an EGS thread, would probably get them banned for "trolling".

A majority, eh? You're gonna have to bring something to back that up. I don't think the majority of the industry is filled with condescending asses.

Uncle0wnage

Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Shame, the game was right up my alley, and that response was poorly worded. Whoever thought it was a good idea should not be in charge of PR. Let's be condescending to potential, future customers because they don't agree with a mega-corporation's business methods and ethics, how could that go wrong?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Epic and their preventive bail out, nothing new I guess.
I'm really curious to see what those developers will do when Epic will stop giving money away.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I was like good for them until I read their explaination post. That's legit like pouring gasoline into the fire.

All in all tho, I ain't really upset about this. I was mildly interested in Ooblets but I don't need it.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Now that I think about it, epic paying you cash to make up for your sales target in exchange for you being exclusive to their platforms is like social media influencers/streamers using bots to boost their numbers. Yes, you get the numbers, but inorganic growth will hurt you long term

Yeah agreed -- I've been saying this since the beginning. EGS is effectively subsidizing these games with the Fortnite money and the exclusivity means less people are playing the games. Eventually -- and perhaps it will be years but eventually -- the Fortnite money runs out or Epic chooses to stop providing it and then the developers have to find a way to succeed with their smaller audience. A moneyhat isn't a game succeeding in the traditional sell-through sense -- it's artificial.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
As soon as I saw this blog o ost I came racing to Era to see all the salt.

Ah good to see you love to see people annoyed.

That blog post is trolling.

And I was disappointed initially to see Devs all think this way but at this point it's a given.

The PC space is just going to be like this from now on. They are just waiting for people to get apathetic if most are not already.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I was curious about this game and planned to play it on XB1. But that stupid blog post has changed my mind.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they really didn't. Epic is sorta buying developers without needing to buy them with their strategies if you really think about it.

You become a EGS Exclusive, and a large chunk of your fanbase turns on you, and therefore trashing sales on any other platforms. The developer is happy because they made a sales target, but now if they were to go back to another platform they'd have a lot less sales, and in return would happily sign another EGS contract because they know it's going to make money.

This is legitimately ruining devs and it's not good at all. It's not magic. It's playing the system in a really scummy way.

For all intent and purposes they 'sold' these games because they got the money, is just that is Epic the one who 'bought' all the copies.

It could be this could affect sales targets in their next games or that they would need further exclusivities. Honestly 'Free anywhere' probably works similar, so is just... Whatever.

I think ppl places to much importance to the consumer trust, while probably a good percentage of players don't really care about this. At worst they managed to stay afloat for their next game or more. Is not a bad deal for them.

EGS is not ruining devs/indies it just a bandage on a bigger problem that will still affect most devs that won't be able to be on the EGS walled garden. Even being on it you will get eventually eclipsed by other devs.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

Then fuck whatever game you're working on, because it's not worth the money that could be better spent on lawyers for those kids in concentration camps.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, devs, it is a good idea to ridicule your customer base as Gamers® and point them out as petty by highlighting climate change. I'm sure people are receiving the message very well. My mouse is hovering over the pre-order button! It's working!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Oh it's you.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Then the majority of devs don't really want my cash anymore.

It's also not shocking to imply the majority of devs want to take a pro-business/anti-consumer position.

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, that's one crappy blog post. I guess they got so much money from Epic that it doesn't matter if anyone buys their game or not.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
haN4RCG.png

hJ36IKa.png

iq6BLPL.png

This sounds utterly ignorant about the actual issues people have with EGS. Not a good look coming from a developer. Basically could be summed up as "it's just another launcher".

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know if that is a good look for devs at all.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

Wow, you mean to tell me devs/publishers, the only party that actually benefits from these deals feels differently about them?

Tell me more.

Oct 25, 2017
It's better for a very small select number of developers who can make a deal with Epic. Everyone else is left in the cold.

Getting more revenue for your game per sale is always going to be a good thing, assuming that you sell the same number. Then again, a lot of the tools that Steam provides are also a good thing. It's up to each developer to decide how to run their business, but shitting all over potential customers doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Also, do note that there are a good number of posters on this forum who also work in the industry and aren't just gamers.

So fucking what?? I'm happy for them, some are my friends. And also knowing that there is a platform that is going to treat me that way already makes things better setting a precedent and a way forward for other storefronts to follow. The alternative is an overcrowded market where my game won't be visible because of the inexistent curation and where I will struggle to make my game profitable.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

This is what I worry about Epic's strategy as well. They're moneyhatting these devs right now to get EGS off the ground. But what will happen when EGS get off the ground and rival Steam? What are these devs gonna do when Epic stop paying them and they have no fanbase to turn to?

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The blog post reads like someone desperately trying to grab attention. No one would write something so inflammatory and think "yeah, this will sit well with others".

They know it would blow up. And here we are, with a 10+ page thread about it.

It's kind of depressing that controversy can be used as a marketing tactic (the woke brands video from hbomberguy goes into more detail). But it seems to work, so good on them?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons of options for great games from developers that don't engage in deals with EGS. I'm getting along just fine completely avoiding Epic and their scummy practices.
It's not even EGS anymore. It all just feels like a poisoned well where everyone's at each other's throats and I'm fucking over it.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
So fucking what?? I'm happy for them, some are my friends. Knowing that there is a platform that is going to treat me that way already makes things better setting a precedent and a way forward for other storefronts to follow. The alternative is an overcrowded market where my game won't be visible because of the inexistent curation and where I will struggle to make my game profitable.

Fuck other small developers who don't get offered EGS and aren't your friends I guess. EGS is like the Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
It's also not shocking to imply the majority of devs want to take a pro-business/anti-consumer position.

No, that would be pretty shocking tbh

Publishers? Absolutely. Fuck consumers.

Devs? The majority just want to make great games that they're passionate about while also feeding their families and if they're lucky only working 50 hours a week.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oooh I love when dev get sassy over a consumer issues. It reminds me that they have the same entitlement issues they accuse customers of :)

If you'd just said you've taken the money it could have been a okay....but no just had to antagonise didnt you :P

Also you see all those things you listed, Im gonna do those instead of buying your game because your livelihood supports a childish hooby....See how your argument works.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

That and getting a big install base by offering a ton of free games. So long as they can tell publishers and investors that EGS has 100M installs, they can make the case that you're not taking a big risk by ditching Steam.

This is why I'd encourage players not to install EGS at all. You're getting free games, which is nice, but you're contributing to the longterm decline of Steam in favor of a lousy platform which isn't getting better any time soon.

Last edited: