• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, good for them for getting the extra money I guess, especially if it was something they needed. Not really sure why they needed to be flippant and dismissive about people's misgivings with EGS though.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the writeup and it mirrors my thoughts on the matter

I wasn't aware of what Ooblets was before today, and I still don't really know what kind of game it is, but I now want to buy it just to support them

Did you read their post? That's literally what they said.

let me help:

Yeah I know how to read, thanks. The "It's anti-consumer" shit was what I'm talking about. Makes them come off like a couple assholes.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

I wasn't aware of what Ooblets was before today, and I still don't really know what kind of game it is, but I now want to buy it just to support them

Why did you make the same post twice? I'm getting super confused here, thought the post order got messed up suddenly

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please show me the "well reasoned discourse" about "You could be mad about human right abuses and climate change".

They're preparing for the over the top hate they know is coming as a result of this -- and yes, to put things in perspective, downloading a free launcher (or just passing on a game if you don't want to) is nothing to get angry about. There's such better uses of energy. Seriously, dude, life is so short

Why did you make the same post twice? I'm getting super confused here, thought the post order got messed up suddenly

Sorry, I must have clicked the wrong button, my bad.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If well reasoned and direct discourse is condescending to you then maybe you should just like sit down and think things over. Maybe you're the problem

You don't seem to know what either of those things are.

Propping up a strawman just to knock it down in an attempt to tsk tsk "gamers" as a whole is not well reasoned discourse, and neither is dismissing valid concerns about why one would not to use EGS with irrelevant comparisons to Netflix and other paid services.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
their post seems preemptively defensive they come off kind of shitty.

nonetheless the game looks cool and i dont mind using EGS so i may well give it a go.

i'm glad i didn't forgo EGS (and yeah i did have it installed from trying Fortnite), because i wouldn't have been able to experience Outer Wilds otherwise.

It reads like somebody who knows they're pissing people off but instead of owning it, they want to downplay it. But then they intentionally provoke the reader by mocking the frustrations they know they have caused, which is why people are reacting so negatively.

BTW, you can get Outer Wilds on Microsoft Game Store and PS4+XB1.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Still don't know how some argue EGS is bad for games.
Probably because giving away Fortnite free money to any dev of a somewhat interesting game is not sustainable. Once the EGS get a good marketshare, they will most likely turn their heads over to only moneyhatting AAA games.
You know, steam used to be a closed store, too. Just getting your game there made you a winner.

Plum

May 31, 2018
If well reasoned and direct discourse is condescending to you then maybe you should just like sit down and think things over. Maybe you're the problem

Well-reasoned and direct discourse such as:
"It's just another thing to click on!"
"You're all pirates so why should we listen to you?"
"You all downloaded the EGS for Fortnite so you're clearly all hypocrites!"
"You can't care about this because of climate change and human rights abuses!"

Right, but they need training because PR is a skill. You have to be able to remove yourself from a situation, see it from different perspectives, and make judgment calls on "What is the best response here?" in order to avoid ruffling feathers. Just typing whatever comes to mind, especially about a decision like this, usually isn't the best strategy.

Well, yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you on that front.

Oct 25, 2017
I did read the thread. People are allowed to be annoyed at Epics money grabs. The dev is allowed to take whatever money they want but I mean...

Is calling out potential customers that don't agree with you harmless?

You realise the "talking" points of the post are all taken from a ignorant place?

It's calling out the childish behaviour widely displayed in this thread. And that blog post is totally fine, because they are right. The hate campaign and boycott mentality towards devs publishing their games exclusively in the EGS is hard to justify and comes mostly from entitlement and ignorance. Making games is expensive. Making money out of games is hard. If a platform is making such things easier for developers players should be celebrating it, not being negative about it only because they have to download and install another launcher. Bottom line is, if you like games and care about the industry you should be supporting such platform.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're preparing for the over the top hate they know is coming as a result of this -- and yes, to put things in perspective, downloading a free launcher (or just passing on a game if you don't want to) is nothing to get angry about. There's such better uses of energy. Seriously, dude, life is so short

More like inviting the hate with such an inflammatory and condescending blog post...

Anyway, you do not get to decide what people can be angry or frustrated about it. I could say the same thing to you: "don't get angry about other people getting frustrated over things you don't understand or agree with."

You're here posting in this thread about this and how you are so supportive of their flippant attitude and yet you're lecturing others about "better uses of energy?" I would hope you could see how ridiculous that is.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Apparently not short enough for you to follow your own advice given that you keep popping up in these threads.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling + previous infractions of same behaviour in similar threads
I fucking live for that dev response, LMAO. This EGS reaction has been so embarrassing to witness and I'm ecstatic that they've addressed it as such.

Oct 31, 2017

Of course you do.
What a surprise.

But WHAT ABOUT HOBBES? WILL HE SHOCK US?

What's with the "Good for them" posts?
Poorly disguised passive-aggressiveness.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't know anything about this game and this excerpt is making sure it'll stay like that
Yep. First time hearing about this game, don't care about EGS in the slightest since I never play on my PC these days. Their blog post is just the fucking worst, to the point where I would rather not give them anymore time or attention.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
That's a weird view, saying devs constrained by money tend to create better games than devs that do not. I mean for select few maybe that can be true? But it's silly to say that this is the way that it works a vast amount of time.

I mean with more money you can afford more amount or more qualified people to work on your game, able to afford better assets, produce higher quality music, etc etc...

The AAA space has not got better with inflated budgets some say it's not even sustainable.

I guess I have seen it happen in other creative spaces that having to work without your budgets can bring out some great creative works.

Some of the best ideas come from having to maximise your resources.

Again I would rather the Devs eat if that's what they need and grow if they sell well to each there own with their projects it's more of an alternative perspective.

Plum

May 31, 2018

"Preparing for the over the top hate," by being incredibly condescending towards your customer base, calling them hypocrites and pirates, and then making the same disingenuous arguments they've heard a million times by now is like preparing for a fire by covering your house in gasoline.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I downloaded a launcher that literally posted my password all over the web. I think I have every right to get angry about that. My old password can still be found easily on the web if someone knows my username.

Besides that I do not like exclusives on the PC market, even if it is just another launcher and I could literally not even use the launcher from December to May, because Epic literally blocked chinese IPs. On the other hand games are more expensive, some games arent even available for China to me on EGS for whatever reason (and if that game is exclusive i can not access it) and several games do not even recognize DS4 on the EGS. Cloud saves are there now, so thats good, but the launcher itself is a 2005 launcher in 2019.
It still doesnt have achievements or community features.
I love to have collectible pages open when I play my games on Steam.

These are my personal points on why I do not like to use it.

I do not like to be talked in a condescending way just because I criticize a launcher. I did not even say anything bad about them getting money.

If they got money, good for them. Wont buy it there then.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

How is sarcastically implying your little pea-sized Gamer™ brain can't possibly handle having an critical/emotional response to Epic's business practices AND climate change or human rights issues "well reasoned"? lol

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
That's a weird view, saying devs constrained by money tend to create better games than devs that do not. I mean for select few maybe that can be true? But it's silly to say that this is the way that it works a vast amount of time.

I mean with more money you can afford more amount or more qualified people to work on your game, able to afford better assets, produce higher quality music, etc etc...

I often question the newcomer, indie devs who immediately jump to "I can spend this money on other awesome stuff!" when they've been worrying about "keeping the lights on." If the latter is true, they might be better off putting that money away, or paying rent for an office space a year in advance or something, instead of blowing it all right away on contractors or more full-time employees, at least until they know if their game will find an audience or not.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded a launcher that literally posted my password all over the web. I think I have every right to get angry about that. My old password can still be found easily on the web if someone knows my username.

Besides that I do not like exclusives on the PC market, even if it is just another launcher and I could literally not even use the launcher from December to May, because Epic literally blocked chinese IPs. On the other hand games are more expensive, some games arent even available for China to me on EGS for whatever reason (and if that game is exclusive i can not access it) and several games do not even recognize DS4 on the EGS. Cloud saves are there now, so thats good, but the launcher itself is a 2005 launcher in 2019.
It still doesnt have achievements or community features.
I love to have collectible pages open when I play my games on Steam.

These are my personal points on why I do not like to use it.

I think that's fair, and I understand not wanting to use a different launcher for any reason. I was personally kind of irked by it when I had to use it to buy Ashen, but I moved on pretty quickly, so I have trouble understanding people who become very animated about this matter

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
We sure this not coming to Windows store /that Xbox sub thing on PC? MS has been showcasing the game for years.

Edit: read the blog, they really called people with legit concern about EGS "Gamers(tm)"? Really disappointed about the EGS apologist attitude, Ooblets will go to the ignore list on every platform I have...

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's calling out the childish behaviour widely displayed in this thread. And that blog post is totally fine, because they are right. The hate campaign and boycott mentality towards devs publishing their games exclusively in the EGS is hard to justify and comes mostly from entitlement and ignorance. Making games is hard. Making money out of games is hard. If a platform is making such things easier for developers players should be celebrating it, not being negative about it only because they have to download and install another launcher. Bottom line is, if you like games and care about the industry you should be supporting such platform.

Except, a platform is not making such things easier "for developers." It's making sweetheart deals for a very select few developers who are willing to give up exclusivity. You make it sound like EGS is benefiting the industry overall and making game development a more secure line of work somehow. Instead it's really just letting Epic curate what games are guaranteed a certain level of monetary success or not.

And stop with the "just another launcher" nonsense. You cannot have read much into this issue if you still harp on that. It's annoyingly dismissive.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm just genuinely fascinated by the disconnect between developers and consumers. It's like the sequel to the whole Diablo Immortal fiasco, but with devs instead of journalists.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
I can understand people not caring about the EGS.

I don't know why everyone who doesn't care, seems to dead set on misrepresenting the arguments of people who do care though.

I get it if you don't care about making games more expensive, sometimes due to lack of payment method support, lack of local currency acceptance, or flat out total control of pricing due to lack of authorized resellers.

I get if you don't care about lack of feature parity including a wealth of controller customization/support, integrated mod support, family/game sharing, cloud saves, etc.

I get if you don't think it is important that the PC marketplace is historically been an fairly open marketplace that hasn't had to deal with third party/time exclusive contracts that restrict consumer choice.

I get all of that, we all have different priorities. I just don't GET why people who don't care think everyone who does is too lazy to click a different fucking launcher.
For me, my issue is the disproportionate response.

I agree with many of these points, though as someone who has also been gaming on consoles for decades, I'm not really sympathetic to the "walled garden" accusations ;-) But the pure vitriol that is displayed every single time this comes up is nuts.

I get making noise about the things you want to change in the hobby you love. I'm the gal who wants to buy every game on Switch that isn't a AAA graphics showcase. I may even be guilty of directly tweeting a dev to make this desire known (*cough*CrossCode*cough*) But then I move on and either decided to make some concessions to play early or just wait for the game to be playable where I want.

There are some really valid reasons beyond inconvenience why people wouldn't want to use EGS and I support that. But when the exclusivity is announced from the beginning as timed (so worst case you're waiting to play on your launcher of choice) or people start bringing Chinese conspiracies into it (thankfully not a thing yet in this thread), this is where the backlash-against-the-backlash comes from.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Legitimately just alienated their entire audience like that. Probably 8% of actual sales will be from that same group. I doubt it's even gonna hit it's original targets..

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Before reading the post: Fine, whatever. Maybe I'll check it out in a year.

After: Oh just fuck absolutely right off.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Except, a platform is not making such things easier "for developers." It's making sweetheart deals for a very select few developers who are willing to give up exclusivity. You make it sound like EGS is benefiting the industry overall and making game development a more secure line of work somehow. Instead it's really just letting Epic curate what games are guaranteed a certain level of monetary success or not.

Yeah, acting like this is an underground indie gem or something ignores the fact that it has had more advertising and opportunities than most indies could ever dream of. A game that features at multiple E3 conferences with publisher interest and previously-established exclusivity deals (i.e. it was going to be on Xbox Play Anywhere) is not a small game by any means.

Deleted member 57020

Banned
May 25, 2019
This is pretty much why devs say nothing. Someone tries to make a non-PR statement that pokes fun at certain people and others get personally offended.

Oct 25, 2017

And stop with the "just another launcher" nonsense. You cannot have read much into this issue if you still harp on that. It's annoyingly dismissive.

18% more of revenue compared to Steam is not making things easier for developers. And you, a gamer, are the one to tell a developer that. Right.

EGS is benefiting the industry and developers especially. And yes, EGS offer deals to high profile titles, but that higher revenue and proper curation are still there for the rest.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
It's calling out the childish behaviour widely displayed in this thread. And that blog post is totally fine, because they are right. The hate campaign and boycott mentality towards devs publishing their games exclusively in the EGS is hard to justify and comes mostly from entitlement and ignorance. Making games is hard. Making money out of games is hard. If a platform is making such things easier for developers players should be celebrating it, not being negative about it only because they have to download and install another launcher. Bottom line is, if you like games and care about the industry you should be supporting such platform.

So who cares what long term effects to the industry or consumer rights we should trust a mega rich corp like Epic to show they know what's best for all of us?

You talk like the PC industry was dying before they started paying off developed en mass.

I buy games on all platforms and storefronts and sometimes I double or triple dip on games. I have payed into Kickstarter games.

If Epic truely cared about the developers they wouldn't be holding games hostage to only their storefront.

I don't like buying off third party games on any platforms I feel games should not be pushed into only walled gardens.

If they feel they can be condensing towards customers because epic paid them what customers would have paid up front good for them I suppose.

But to say that people like myself don't invest heavily into the games industry is simply unfair or to say this is the only way it can be done is unfair.

I would celebrate epic if they gave the development team the money without the strings attached for customers as Tim loves to claim he is altruistic.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, acting like this is an underground indie gem or something ignores the fact that it has had more advertising and opportunities than most indies could ever dream of. A game that features at multiple E3 conferences with publisher interest and previously-established exclusivity deals (i.e. it was going to be on Xbox Play Anywhere) is not a small game by any means.

Exactly. Epic identifies games that already have a great deal of interest and buy their exclusivity.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much why devs say nothing. Someone tries to make a non-PR statement that pokes fun at certain people and others get personally offended.

You can make a non-PR statement without alienating and pissing off your audience. In fact, they already did in their email! They really should've just copied that.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately just alienated their entire audience like that. Probably 8% of actual sales will be from that same group. I doubt it's even gonna hit it's original targets..

They already did. That's the magic of it, you don't need to sell games to get loads of money.

Who says a lot of the state of the PC market, honestly.