• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Strange, lots of Era users told me that Epic only goes for big indies with big names, not debut projects from unknown people like Ooblets

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, that's actually from the dev?

Oh boy. Maybe I'll take a pass altogether.

Devs will never not have these opinions IMO. I think being in that part of the industry just chances your perspectives.

Its a shame to see so many Indy Devs taking the AAA attitudes but it is what it is.

I don't like that people say 'ill pirate' the games I feel it's better to just move on.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
iq6BLPL.png
Jesus Christ you can just say that you needed the money.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them! Getting enough money to remove that uncertainty has to feel great. It probably more than makes up for consumers who won't or can't buy on the EGS be it from boycott or exposure or otherwise. I'd likely do the same in their shoes.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
The text is kinda shit, but I understand every single small developer taking the money. Sounds like the deal they offer is just too good not to do it.

Pretty much this. Shitty post, but it's not like I can't understand the position whatsoever. At least they didn't Kickstart it and then pull the rug from under many feet.

Still, I had this on my Steam wishlist and likely won't be supporting it now; it won't be near its full price anyways. I'll live, they'll live!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Good for them. I hope this helps them create even bigger games in the future. I completely understand their reasons. It's a business after all.

I also liked what I've seen of the game. Most people on era have seen it before, I guess, since it was on the Xbox E3 stage.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with any dev taking the Epic money as long as they aren't condescending or patronizing about it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
well that's the most twee epic store announcement i've seen yet. so they have that going for them.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing them the absolute best. Small teams like this should take the money when available. This game, maybe even more than Halo or Ori, is the one MS exclusive I'd consider getting an Xbox One for when it's all said and done. Although it sounds like this will be next-gen for sure given how far away it is.

I know the EGS sentiment here on this forum and elsewhere the internet, but for many people it still boils down to "just another button on the desktop". I think they explained their rationale very fairly and up front with their audience. I hope that in time, all the EGS stuff will be a relic of the past, once the feature-set catches up with Steam. And by the time Ooblets releases, who knows where they will be with the development of the store.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Can't blame them. Small dev teams taking money to ensure a better product and fund potential future projects makes sense. Must be a good feeling for them to not have financial pressures going into release.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was really looking forward to this but was expecting an EGS deal. (Surprised it wasnt announced at E3)

The amount of condescending garbage in this blog really sours me on buying the game at all though.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Rebecca has always been kind and open about this game's development, and when I got her e-mail on the mailing list (which is written differently than this blog post) and she said they were doing this to pay rent I could totally get why they'd do this.
I love Ooblets ever since it was first shown and if this is going to make it a better game there's no way I wouldn't support it.
Yeah, Rebecca's email is quite a bit different in tone from Ben's announcement to the point where I wish she would have been the one to write the announcement. He seems to have written it as defensively and inflammatorily (making up words now) as possible :/

I'm going to get it no matter what, because I have been so excited since they first announced it. But I really can't handle how condescending the announcement was. Plus the discord right now is a bunch of people just handwaving anyone's concerns with more "IT'S JUST A LAUNCHER LOL" rhetoric. And anyone who mentions that the announcement was a bit condescending gets immediately shit upon.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know what this game was until today. Not really my kind of game, but looks interesting either way.

Good on them for getting that money. I can't imagine the relief that team is feeling right now. Financial security is important.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you write that convincing and transparent explanation, and then add:

What it means for you:

• You'll have to install EGS if you wanna buy Ooblets on PC. I know that's asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to download a free thing and create a user account (if you haven't already done so to play Fortnite which I KNOW YOU HAVE).
Like... do you want the sympathy or not?

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
What a couple of knob heads. Maybe instead of being apart of the machine that's destroying our society, they should turn their fucking computers off, go outside and plant a tree. Or maybe they're not so worried about climate change and human rights abuses since they're getting money from a company that is happy about destructive dev crunch? They just want money. Greed above all else right? It's not like you can open source a program and ever make a living or anything right?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense why small devs take the money. It basically turns their game into an instant 'success' without having to sell any copies.

I also get why people don't want to buy games on Epic's store. A game being EGS exclusives is just as valid a reason to not buy a game as any other.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
That statement is fucking terrible. Just say you need the cash, don't get all cutesy about being sanctimonious and condescending.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Good for them! I'm kinda bummed, but eh, hopefully EGS will get better by when this is released.

Worst case scenario, I can wait. It's a game I wanted, but eh, there are many other great games out there.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Hahaha this game wasn't on my radar but that post absolutely owns. Good on them for getting paid and for calling out internet silliness :-)

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
EGS has literally swept up like 90% of my steam wishlist. I suppose I need to seriously consider shifting over soon or at least utilizing something like GOGGALAXY2.0.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they just say 'yeah, it was a lot of money and we took it' instead of just being passive aggressive about people not wanting to use EGS?

Talk about backfire.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I've seen much worse defenses of EGS exclusivity, but they really should have just followed House House (Untitled Goose Game)'s lead and just left it at "we're a small dev and wanted/needed the money upfront," instead of dismissing valid concerns about EGS.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS has literally swept up like 90% of my steam wishlist. I suppose I need to seriously consider shifting over soon or at least utilizing something like GOGGALAXY2.0.
Even better would be waiting a year until all those games are much cheaper and not on the epic store, so win win.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, find me an Era thread that discusses EGS rationally.

Well that's because the same ol' ppl bringing out the same debunked information which just makes it a vicious cycle all over.

The devs didn't have to resort to that level. Just say you needed the money, unfortunately the Patreon donations weren't enough and Epic was happy to help make funding and developing the game easier...not make their PR announcement the same tired EGS thread that gets derailed.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This post by the devs is the most garbage thing I've seen, holy crap. That is just a terrible, terrible post. What on earth were they thinking?

They definitely took a swing at the toxic gamer pinata. Most people will take it in stride, but I wouldn't want to switch places with whoever handles their email and social media.