• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
NOTE: DO NOT USE THIS AS JUSTIFICATION BEHIND OR REASONING FOR THE HARASSMENT THAT THESE DEVELOPERS HAVE FACED. THIS THREAD IS MEANT TO CALL OUT ABLEIST AND ALT-RIGHT RHETORIC AND IS NOT MEANT AS A PLATFORM FOR THOSE WHO SIMPLY WANT TO HATE THE PERSON IN QUESTION FOR THE EPIC GAMES STORE/BLOG POST THING.

Thanks to Dr Social for pointing this out and screencapping the Tweet before it was deleted.

So I thought this deserved a thread in the case that it became hidden underneath all the other discussion surrounding the whole EGS/Ooblets controversy. Essentially one of the developers for the game liked a post from the official Ooblets Twitter of a meme that, itself, has been used by the alt-right and other right-wing hate groups to belittle and demean both 'SJWs' and, more harmfully, those under the Autistic spectrum. A screenshot of the tweet can be found below:

bFcdiJO.png

EA6P2FBUIAAuV9C

When told about the origins of the meme in question the developer had this to say:

YZ3Fpp9.png

What is the 'REEEEE' meme?

For those who may not have seen it before the 'REEEE' meme is something used by places such as 4chan to indicate what they call 'autistic screeching', and it's often seen in conjunction with the now-alt-right 'Pepe the frog' imagery as well. It is commonly used to indicate that the person in question is 'autistic' and, as such, worthy of insults and harassment. The meme propogates the stereotype that those with ASD can do nothing but scream and shout. It also helps alt-right rhetoric as it's secondary usage is that of demeaning those who the alt-right disagree with, so 'SJWs'; the meme is often posted alongside images and videos of female 'SJWs' to make them seem hysterical and unworthy of attention.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
We're sure this isn't one of those supposedly doctored screengrabs?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This will go well.

It's probably a fake image judging by the fact they've been targeted with bullshit already.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the recent attacks Ooblets has been under I wouldnt be shocked if these were faked (something very easy to do)

Would like to hear an official response before calling them out. But of course, if true that sucks

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That one guy really keeps digging deeper of his own accord, especially with that non-apology that basically just amounts to "people are only finding it offensive because they're angry about EGS".

Hope it's doctored (which is a weird thing to say), but that's a hyper-specific thing to doctor that isn't as strongly offensive as the other one.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh come on. Where does he "refuse to apologize"? He liked the meme. He explained, after being asked in a good-faith manner that he didn't know what "reee" meant and in what context it was being used. After being made aware, he took back the Like.

Neither was he asked to apologize, nor did he "refuse" to apologize.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
We're sure this isn't one of those supposedly doctored screengrabs?
It's probably a fake image judging by the fact they've been targeted with bullshit already.
Given the recent attacks Ooblets has been under I wouldnt be shocked if these were faked (something very easy to do)

There's still a small chance but I found both the Tweet screenshot and the Discord screenshot here on Era. The original posts are below:

Gross

bFcdiJO.png

EA6P2FBUIAAuV9C

Maybe it's an accidental like, but it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

https://twitter.com/GeocitiesMascot/status/1157020317719486464

Just found a reaction to that in the Discord. Couldn't find the first post pointing out the issue but the first respone was perplamps saying "i run the ooblets twitter account and I like a lot of tweets but I don't have any intent of delving into anything relating to autism... " (atting fabybacenelson who then followed up on it)

The follow-up part I felt was worth screencapping. Didn't wanna cut off the unrelated posts so that people claimed I had "doctored" the image but figured I could at least mask it.
I definitely don't like that last post by perplamps. Just unlike the Tweet, seriously. And that last post down there not getting a callout? Eek.

YZ3Fpp9.png

Edit: Ack. This got long. I didn't plan to write this much. Good night and please be kind to each other.

Slingles

Oct 29, 2017
South Wales
Was not aware that's where the meme originated or of it's context. I'm sure that many others, the Devs included, are also unaware. They were just liking something regarding their current situation and removed it once learning about the context.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best moment for this topic, just close it and wait until things are calmed down before this.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
This topic appears to have been discussed at length in an existing thread already and seems unlikely to generate good discussion on its own at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.