• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (10 days) aggressive excusement of harassment and threats
They got threats for being condescending dickheads.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this reminds me of that:
3e8.jpg

Jun 14, 2019
You can think the devs have been shitty and also think they don't deserve any harassment like that.

thats my point though ? they dont deserve harassment or death threats or other kind of behaviour i dont think anyone here will condone such retaliation. but they need to actually understand their fuck up and why it absolutey pissed sooo many people off, i mean they did a blog post basically telling people who funded their game to piss off because they got funded by epic now. their is ways to address situations and going for someones head or harassing is never an option anyone should take

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I agree, any kind of criticism of Epic is exactly the same as coordinating harassment campaigns and sending threats to developers.

You can make all the leaps you want to reach whatever conclusions you want to, but you know full well "any kind of criticism" isn't the case here. As I say, not sending harassment directly is used as one hell of a low bar to justify saying whatever the hell else you want for some people.

As I say, the reaction to the EGS in general has stunk this forum and other online communities out for months. People like to talk about actions and consequences elsewhere and it's no different with this. ResetEra has plenty of members who think their participation on this forum is enough by itself to elevate them above any of this responsibility.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Glumberland's blog post failed to address much of the nuance of the situation, but while that lack of ignorance and honesty is regrettable, there is no excuse for any sentiment more vitriolic than "Fuck you, I'll wait a year."

Epic's psuedo-800-pound-gorilla tactics suck. The lack of self-awareness and critical analysis from literally every mainstream video game blog sucks. Devs that eschew honesty in favour of repeating Sweeney/Galyonkin's talking points and painting those who disagree with a broad, negative bush also suck. But that doesn't mean it's okay to go internet postal over content that will be on your preferred platform in a matter of months.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Holding developers responsible for receiving threats
There's no way to make this kind of announcement without pissing off some people.

But there are some ways to make this kind of announcement without trying to piss off as many people as possible.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The developers could have had a better message but that's 0 excuse for people being trash as usual. Nothing they said warranted this kind of harassment. The devs aren't responsible for any of this and trying to paint it as otherwise is pathetic.

Oct 25, 2017
Free idea to games writers: can we see some sort of chronology of consolidation/storefront software releases over the years that got the collective ire of people? Pre-Steam, GFWL, up to and including (especially) Origin, how Battle.Net and GOG Galaxy have changed and evolved?

I think some perspective is needed.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
The victim blaming in this and other threads is incredibly backward. That this attitude of "they should have kept it quiet and out of sight. What did they expect?" is still so prevalent is fucking horrific no matter the context.
Poor girl she didn't deserve to be sexually harassed but she did wear sexy clothes though while walking alone at night. It was so easy to avoid.

You guys are doing prety much the exact sane thing yet none of you would actually dare say something similar in a sexual harassment thread.

Drop the victim blaming it's embarrassing
This. It just tells me that this is still an attitude many find reasonable in 2019 so long as they are not peer pressured to drop it. Maybe we are hardwired to think this way and it fucking sucks.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Went from victim blaming to whataboutism really fast.

Climate Change is actually a bigger deal than anything short of nuclear war
He's taking a jab at their blogpost inviting people to be militant about things that actually matter and not which storefront you can buy the game on.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Epic for improving customer-developer relations. Truly a blessing for the gaming space.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Lot of victim blaming in this here ResetEra thread 🤔

The Ooblets blog post was cheeky at best, but people chose to go "bitch eatin' crackers!" on it to justify their bizarrely high level of heated hatred for EGS.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
Not at all. I'm saying that bad actors are using it as an excuse to attack people. I'm fully on-board with criticising the Epic Game Store.
oh sorry, i guess i misundersttod (been already called GGer for not liking Epic just yestrday), and yes i totally agree and i dont like to be grouped with the sick psychos , but i guess this is Social Media of 2019 , everyonehas to be labeled by silly labels and shades of grey doesnt exist

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shameful.

They didn't deserve that, even if they could've handled the announcement better it shouldn't have prompted that kind of a reaction.

Just don't buy the game if you're unhappy.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
oh sorry, i guess i misundersttod (been already called GGer for not liking Epic just yestrday), and yes i totally agree and i dont like to be grouped with the sick psychos , but i guess this is Social Media of 2019 , everyonehas to be labeled by silly labels and shades of grey doesnt exist

It's all good!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't hard, don't harass devs especially if they say dumb inconsequential shit like this.

I dunno, I wasn't really thinking about climate change much when I had to make sure someone didn't actually have my home address tbh
I was, I was also thinking about how bad capitalism is and how we should eat the rich.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way to make this kind of announcement without pissing off some people.

But there are some ways to make this kind of announcement without trying to piss off as many people as possible.

Why not try and do that, though.
People were gonna be assholes about the announcement anyway, so why not call them out?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
While online hate is unjustified and undeserved, Glumberland did a terrible job on that thing. Aside from the clumsy blog post, the next few days was basically him throwing oil on a fire instead of trying to calm things down. Yeah, liking ableist 4chan memes "REEEEEEEEEEEE" on a tweet claiming people unhappy are "autistic" was dumb as fuck. And it's not the only one. The whole thing has been an embarassement for every parties involved.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People were gonna be assholes about the announcement anyway, so why not call them out?

Because of the very result this thread is about? It doesn't end well, trying to piss off people in an already infected debate.

The unwillingness to learn anything here is astounding.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd perhaps say that because seeking to increase antagonism between developers and players hurts more than just themselves. Even if they don't care who they piss off, it poisons the well for everyone.

Edit: and both the developer and Epic sought to increase antagonism, which hurts everyone in the space.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't appreciate the joke, please don't speak to me like that again.

No, you're not allowed to tell someone you want them to die because they made fun of you.

Remember, outliers.
I got doxxed in september of last year and my sis got hate to all her social media too so it wasn't just localized to myself. I wasn't joking,

Jun 26, 2018
How can we help prevent harassment? I'd like to be able to be critical or upset about things without having to throw away my opinions, because infantile idiots can't express their anger without reaching out and harassing developers.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand what's happening here, because Glumberland clearly started all the flame thanks to their controversial blog post and then continued with their hateful comments on their Discord channel, even insulting their Patrons. Why gamers are always blamed for stuff like this and devs are always painted as the victims? If they took approach of, let's say, Sinking City devs, it woudn't be any drama (Frogwares stated that they need this exclusivity deal, because it will help to keep stability of their studio. Simple statement, zero passive-aggressive comments)
Why this PR disaster is praised by the media and Tim Sweeney? I just don't get it.
This. While this kind of harrassment is never ok, fueling the flames by acting like an ass just begs for this.

Oct 30, 2017
Don't announce that you got a bunch of money, you need it for rent and stuff and then immediatly be a dick at the end of the PR statement. Or in your Discord server. If you poke the bomb long enough don't be surprised when it blows up in your face.

Hope they stay safe.

Basically. It doesn't excuse threats and harassment, but they should've had enough awareness to see the general response to epic exclusives and crafted a better statement and refrained from antagonizing people who don't like it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Some people/assholes have no limites, if they really cared ( or had a functioning brain ) they wouldn't have those reaction which will be used against what they supposedly fight for.

Hopefully dev were able to see how little it mattered compared to climate change and human rights buse

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Their attempt at humor in the announcement backfired terribly, but most of the outrage at their discord has been manufactured as a hate campaign against them with outright photoshopped lies & posts out of context.

They've thanked patreon backers for their support and offered full refunds to any backer who wants it. They've also said that they're going to issue an apology after this whole thing dies down.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Because of the very result this thread is about? It doesn't end well, trying to piss off people in an already infected debate.

The unwillingness to learn anything here is astounding.

They would've got the same reaction either way.
Why the hell should they bow down to idiots like that in the first place?

Oct 25, 2017
No, you're not allowed to tell someone you want them to die because they made fun of you.

Remember, outliers.

Can you clarify your phrasing here, please? Is this "Yes, you can call out the developer as long as you don't make threats" or "No, you can't call the developer out on his dismissive and oftentimes insulting attitude because other people took things too far"?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Great, now lunatics that send these sort of messages will drown out the extremely legitimate criticisms of EGS and devs who take such deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.