• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Up has some problems but I still like it a lot. The beginning is S tier, and it has the good boi, and I thought the end had some good stuff too. The villain is weak, plus the "old guy" fight kinda stinks too

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This was honestly better than I expected. It wasn't top-shelf Pixar or anything but it was a solid road trip / coming of age flick with memorable gags.

It came off tonally similar to A Goofy Movie... albeit with a brother dynamic a la Fullmetal Alchemist instead of a father-son dynamic. Throw in some amusing fantasy creature riffs in the same vein as Shrek and you have an amusing little romp.

I'd give it a solid 6.5/10 score. I really only went out of my way to watch it because of the new Simpsons short (which was charming).

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Disney suck some of the talent from Pixar for their Disney movies?
They did. Also a lot of staff move between departments to help out.

They are still separate divisions but they still help each other out.

Edit:

I love how we judge how good a Pixar movie is by how much it makes us cry.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just saw it. One of Pixar's weakest for me - better than Cars 2 but worse than probably every other film they've made, even The Last Dinosaur. It just felt so pedestrian, like someone trying to imitate the Pixar mould. It was totally fine, but obviously Pixar have spoiled us so much over the years. The ending was pretty good but overall it just felt like a generic animated road movie. 3 stars.
Sounds like this is worth skipping at the cinema, thanks.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I hope those who go enjoy it. I ultimately decided to cancel my advanced screening reservation due to immediate local corona virus concerns.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Across all/ most of the reviews it seems one thing is clear: if anyone had been putting this out but Pixar, it'd be in Rotten territory.

Quick reminder: The Good Dinosaur stands fresh at 76%, while the immeasurably better Frozen 2 stands at 77% positive reviews.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Across all/ most of the reviews it seems one thing is clear: if anyone had been putting this out but Pixar, it'd be in Rotten territory.

Quick reminder: The Good Dinosaur stands fresh at 76%, while the immeasurably better Frozen 2 stands at 77% positive reviews.
Nah. Films like Abominable from Dreamworks also have high RT scores while being very passable kids flicks.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i was about to say that i didnt really think frozen 2 was a good movie but then i remembered how low of a bar the good dinosaur is.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really just don't care for Pixar's output anymore. Aside from Coco and Inside Out, I haven't really dug anything since Toy Story 3 in 2010. The magic is gone.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
This was damn good. It's not up there with Pixar's best, but it will still make you cry.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My specific problem is that, at least from the trailers, the whole vibe of "fantasy tropes but modern" is kinda played out. Pixar's strength is in its unique pitch so it's off brand to have a concept so reheated.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Disney has been consistently good recently, but like, their movies follow a common template too much and they seem too focused on selling merchandise sometimes. The new Disney Renaissance does not compare to 90s Disney Renaissance.

Pixar, on the other hand, puts out some pretty damn great movies, every once in a while. You can tell for a while that they want to break free from the G/PG constraints and make at least a PG-13 movie for once, but Disney would never let them do that. In between those great movies, they make some forgettable ones though. Onward seems to be mid-tier Pixar from what I'm reading.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I also thought this was like a B-tier Dreamworks production until I saw it was made by Pixar.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
A bit off-topic, but I'm curious if Pixar and Disney Animation's new studio heads (Pete Docter and Jennifer Lee respectively) will cause the studios to go in new directions.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
This always looked like a dream works movie but idk; Pixar does have it in them to hit a home run once and awhile.. Coco was great.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was fantastic, but it's way way better than the trailers would leave you to believe. It's not just some hokey reheated version of Shrek. It has legitimate heart and emotion, and they do not at all lean into pop culture references. Even the even silly nerd/fantasy references are kinda visual Easter Eggs more than anything else (the name of the popular soda got a couple big smiles out of me).

I think the big tearjerker moment really hits well. All throughout the movie we kinda expect that the guys will not be able to resurrect their dad with much time left, and will be forced into making a heartbreaking decision. But there's kind of a twist on it that's really emotional, satisfying, and unexpected.

I'm kinda surprised at how male-focused the film is. I don't think that's a negative, but it very much feels like a film for dads & sons, or brothers. With the way Disney tends to work, I am surprised that they didn't try harder to appeal to the female demographic. That said, there are still some good female characters in the film and probably my favorite character in the whole movie was female (the Manticore!). They just aren't really the stars of the show.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah common consensus seems to be "fun and cute but not amazing...until the ending, which is far better than anything that comes before it".

Which is pretty intriguing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah common consensus seems to be "fun and cute but not amazing...until the ending, which is far better than anything that comes before it".

Onward get consistently better and better as it goes on. The trailers really only feature footage and story beats from the first 30-45 minutes of the film. I would say that is a huge mistake, but at the same time I hate to encourage or give approval to trailers that spoil later sections of the movie. It would have been far easier to sell and market Onward if they had put in jokes and action sequences from later in the movie, but it would have made the experience of watching it a lot less fun.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Onward get consistently better and better as it goes on. The trailers really only feature footage and story beats from the first 30-45 minutes of the film. I would say that is a huge mistake, but at the same time I hate to encourage or give approval to trailers that spoil later sections of the movie. It would have been far easier to sell and market Onward if they had put in jokes and action sequences from later in the movie, but it would have made the experience of watching it a lot less fun.
Really good to know, thanks

Antoo

May 1, 2019

The weird thing is it's the same way I felt about Monsters University. A good film film with an incredible third act that contains a heartfelt and mature message.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is it's the same way I felt about Monsters University. A good film film with an incredible third act that contains a heartfelt and mature message.

I enjoyed it more than Monster University and as with all Pixar movies it's much better than the trailers. I thought it would be a bit male centric, but the emotions felt true and my wife enjoyed it much more than expected too.

I guess once people got over the disappointment of "this is how Pixar does fantasy", which is part of the story. It's not hard to get into the movie. It's not overcrowded with fantasy elements, everything is there to serve the central relationship. On the whole, I think Pixar might rely a bit too much on road trips, but I thought this was well done.

Edit: we might have missed the first bit of the movie, Ian was already being picked up from school by Barley when we got in our seats.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
All I kept thinking when I watched the trailer(s) in the cinema — and on two separate occasions — is why wasn't Jack Black chosen to voice the older brother instead of Chris Pratt?

At least Jack Black has the musical chops ('School of Rock' and 'Tenacious D') and has a wealth of experience in the voiceover department for animated films ('Kung Fu Panda' and 'Goosebumps').

Up, Coco, TS3/4, Incredibles 2.

Funnily enough, I really enjoyed 'The Incredibles 2' at the cinema, yet felt underwhelmed and unanimated about the film on its second viewing at home, whereas I can happily watch the first film over and over again!

I would (now) rate 'The Incredibles 2' a little bit closer to 'it's okay...' than 'it's incredible!'.

Those first three Pixar films you mentioned are genuinely superb though.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
So I had the opportunity to see an advanced screening of the movie, and let me tell you, it's way better than the trailers make it out to be. A bunch of these Era hot takes of the movie already feel outdated.

They do a lot of creative things with the premise of mixing magic with metropolism and I would argue that this movie has the best Pixar mother to date. Chris Pratt's character is so much more than a Jack Black archetype and Tom Holland's character does a fantastic job of displaying anxiety.

If anybody's on the fence of watching this movie, I say check it out. This movie is no Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Inside Out or Coco but it's definitely an enjoyable Pixar movie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
All I kept thinking when I watched the trailer(s) in the cinema — and on two separate occasions — is why wasn't Jack Black chosen to voice the older brother instead of Chris Pratt?
Probably because Pratt is hot right now and Jack Black isn't. But yeah, the character even kind of seems modeled after the kind of characters Jack Black has played in the past.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The only bad movies from Pixar is Cars (& 2) and The Good Dinosaur. Everthing else was pretty great to amazing.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Edit: we might have missed the first bit of the movie, Ian was already being picked up from school by Barley when we got in our seats.
Most of the opening 8 or so minutes that you missed were mainly to hammer home how socially awkward Ian is, that it was his birthday and to plant a connecting thread for Barley that comes back at the end of the movie. There was a fun recurring background gag where Ian attempts to and fails to eat breakfast on 3 separate occasions. That said, you really didn't miss much from that opening segment that was covered later.

Shame you missed out on the Simpsons short that preceded the film, though.

At least Jack Black has the musical chops ('School of Rock' and 'Tenacious D') and has a wealth of experience in the voiceover department for animated films ('Kung Fu Panda' and 'Goosebumps').
I didn't feel the casting was off in this case. No musical numbers to speak of and Jack Black's a little more larger-than-life than Pratt and might have taken some of the shine off Ian as the central protagonist. I thought Pratt did fine here... even if his character was essentially a modern spin on Gusto Gummi.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The movie seems to get good reviews. But im more concerned about the actor chris pratt. Chris pratt is heavily rumoured to be homophobic and trump supporter, and im kinda concerned about it. In this kind of showbiz when you are heavily rumoured on something, that is more likely to be true

I just dont want to give my money to someone i dont consider as an ally. If you know what i mean

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The movie seems to get good reviews. But im more concerned about the actor chris pratt. Chris pratt is heavily rumoured to be homophobic and trump supporter, and im kinda concerned about it. In this kind of showbiz when you are heavily rumoured on something, that is more likely to be true

Can you create a new thread instead of taking a crap in this one?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Chris Pratt is trash.

What's with people forgetting Coco when criticizing Pixar's recent output? That movie is really brilliant.

I think finding dory, the incredibles 2, the good dinosaur and toy story 4 have been weak.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Can you create a new thread instead of taking a crap in this one?
I dont see the reason to create a new thread for something this trivial. So, the answer is no. I just need a confirmation, not a discussion. If there were an OT for this movie, i would make sure to post it there. But currently it doesnt have

Unless of course moderators themselves encourage us to create a new thread for not that big of a matter. But then isnt that also a violation to their own policy?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised at how male-focused the film is. I don't think that's a negative, but it very much feels like a film for dads & sons, or brothers. With the way Disney tends to work, I am surprised that they didn't try harder to appeal to the female demographic. That said, there are still some good female characters in the film and probably my favorite character in the whole movie was female (the Manticore!). They just aren't really the stars of the show.
That is refreshing to hear.

Is the focus on brotherhood riddled with tired tropes? Or with the brothers being older we will have more of a realistic take on non-toxic manhood/brotherhood that's not in any way abusive but warm appreciation and deeper understanding of love?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also Up is like the poster child of a movie being loved and held high only because of a really amazing intro sequence. The rest of the movie was tedious and forgettable af.