• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
People in here pretending Inside Out isn't one of Pixar's best movies.

A shame. Up, Wall-E and Inside out are all better than ratatouille

Inside Out is good but I felt like it was let down by some pretty transparent narrative work. Like, they establish all the isles of identity or whatever, but it becomes clear that, dramatically, they all have to succumb, which means Joy and Sadness are going to fail so whatever we see them do until the movie decides it's time for the climax is just kind of unimportant.

Oct 29, 2017
When Pixar was making Toy Story 3 they were also making Cars 2, and they were making Coco while they were making The Good Dinosaur, they have had hit and misses all they way back to A Bug's Life if you ask me.

I don't know how long my confidence in them based on Coco alone will last, but it hasn't run out yet.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Always felt like this wasn't going to be great.

When it was announced there were two Pixar movies coming out this year, Soul looked like the better one.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whaaat? This is Pixar? I assumed it was one of those Secret life of mascots movies.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like one on the lower end of Pixar's films. But as Samred's review above says, it seems like a great pick for parents with kids.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my God, I thought I was alone.

What a masterpiece.

Ever since then, every single one of their films has been a pacing nightmare.

That's probably my major issue. Wall-E is a very interesting Act I that the movie doesn't deliver on. Up is never as emotional as its setup. TS3 feels disjointed between its Andy story, and the actual plot.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The days when Pixar films were also must see for adults is long over. I enjoyed TS3 and 4 but they are just constant failures since and including Brave for me.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I wish I could see what everyone sees in Up, but unless everyone watched a different version of the movie that stopped after the intro then I don't see what's so great about it.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
No idea why some are acting like the reviews are "mixed." It has been reviewing pretty well just not up to the caliber of the all time greats that Pixar has put out. Pretty sure it's the most well reviewed family film of the year so far

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Other than the Cars sequels, my family doesn't skip Pixar movies, but we're planning on outright skipping this movie. The trailers just don't look very fun or interesting to my wife & I. The dead father + disembodied pants look like they'd be too sad/creepy for the kids.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently I need to watch Ratatouille again. It's not a movie that comes to mind when I think of great Pixar films.

But then again, other than the first 15 minutes, I would pass pretty hard on UP. So my tastes are pretty different.

inb4 Jules who sees things a little differently gif

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I fell in love with Coco and consider it to be one of Pixar's finest so I might be one of the few lol. I thought Incredibles 2 was...ehh. Same level as Monsters University. Both movies were something I did not want as a follow-up. I actually wanted a time-skip for both XD. TS4 was pretty good tho.

Will still be seeing this in theaters!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Expected. Pixar haven't made a great movie since Ratatouille.
Fuck. I just realized this.
Inside Out was one of Pixar's best movies full stop.
Coco also ranks among Pixar's greatest works. -
Toy Story 3 is amazing and my favorite in the series. I would never begrudge someone for preferring 1,2 or 4.
Did Up and Wall-E both come out before Ratatouille? I will assume that they did for your sake.

Look, Ratatouille is my personal favorite Pixar movie. I think it's beautiful and charming in a way that most people overlook. But to say that it was Pixar's "last great movie" is not only wrong but it disregards some incredible films that deserve more love and celebration.

If you haven't seen Insight Out or Coco, please do so.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It looks like one on the lower end of Pixar's films. But as Samred's review above says, it seems like a great pick for parents with kids.

It's better than Sonic—funnier, better characters, better logic, warmer heart. For a "formulaic" family movie, this has a surprising amount of twists and effort. I don't like to pish posh other working critics, and I DEFINITELY don't like to do the "critics vs audience" game, but this is one of those occasions where I see a clear split between critics. The Verge called this "fine," which I just found odd.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Outside of a teaser shown before Toy Story 4, I've barely seen any marketing for this film. Sort of A Good Dinosaur type of deal.

I won't lie when I say that my tastes with Pixar soured due to the Lasseter bullshit, and then being the culprit behind that whole wage scandal fiasco years ago so I'll pass.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I wonder if Pixar will ever make a film I care about again.

The way no single part of those trailers interest me is somewhat amazing considering how big of a fan I used to be up to Wall-E.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Coco is easily one of Pixar's best films. Great story, amazing music, brilliant visuals.

I would put it up with Ratatouille.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Coco is among Pixar's best for sure. They still got it when they bring their A-Game, but this aint it.

Hopefully that's where Soul will come in.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw it. One of Pixar's weakest for me - better than Cars 2 but worse than probably every other film they've made, even The Last Dinosaur. It just felt so pedestrian, like someone trying to imitate the Pixar mould. It was totally fine, but obviously Pixar have spoiled us so much over the years. The ending was pretty good but overall it just felt like a generic animated road movie. 3 stars.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could see what everyone sees in Up, but unless everyone watched a different version of the movie that stopped after the intro then I don't see what's so great about it.
That opening scene is the most touching piece of animation they've ever done imo. (The one recounting Carl and Ellie's life obviously).

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Strange one this one. It wasnt near Pixars best but had some of Pixars best stuff. Some of the story was great, some of the characters were great, some of the stuff that happened was great but outside those it was just good.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm going to an early screening today. Mainly to get the free blanket and pin. I'm going to feel weird going by myself to what is arguably a kids movie but oh well.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will be fine, but soul looks like top tier Pixar whereas this looks fairly forgettable.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the advanced screening today, and it was better than I expected.

However, the trailer for Soul has me absolutely intrigued. It looks like it could challenge Coco in how easy it can make me cry.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
man y'all really aren't about WALL-E, huh

I don't blame you I guess, it kinda struggles with pacing

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
This idea that Up is somehow top tier Pixar needs to die. One single great scene does not a great film make.

Wall-E, Rata, TS 1&2 and Inside Out are the highlights, personally. Incredibles is overrated to hell and back and was personally a huge letdown after the brilliance that was Iron Giant.