• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I know this has been in development for years, but really hoping the massive success of Spiderverse pushes the next batch of animated films in a more visually interesting direction

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
This movie looks absolutely nothing at all like I expected it to based on the premise and initial art/teaser. And yeah I'll echo the sentiment that the older brother really feels like a character written for Jack Black hahaha

This is about as stupid as the "bean face" gif that shows up all the time, especially since these are characters that span over a decade of animated films. 6 characters look similar across 12 years worth of movies I'm so tired guys srsly I can't even I'm just exhausted

Two of those are from movies that are a decade old, and both had distinct designs at the time (heck, Linguini looks distinct from every other character in that). Not that I don't think Onward's protagonist looks generic, but what a silly tweet
Exactly

Hotel Transylvania - 2012
Spies in Disguise - 2019
Arthur Christmas - 2011
Ratatouille - 2007
Onward - 2020
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - 2009 (Why is he even in there, aside from having a large nose it's shaped completely differently from the other 5)

That being said, it is uncanny how both of the characters that are being voiced by Tom Holland look so similar. I'd almost think they were basing the designs off the voice actor like Disney used to do but Tom's snoot isn't anything like theirs.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
this is out in theaters on March 6, while today, the review embargo lifted. here's my review from Ars Technica:

We haven't seen a film so easy to recommend to Ars Technica readers in years. We know our average demographic: parents and older readers who are deeply fluent in decades of nerd culture and who appreciate films that offer genuine laughs, likable characters, and tightly sewn logic in family-friendly fashion without compromising the dialogue, plot, or heart—or beating an original, previously beloved franchise into the ground. Pixar has come out screaming with a film that feels focus-tested for that exact audience, and I'm already eager to attend the film again in two weeks.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are in BTW, currently at 77%.

bandicam-2020-02-21-14-16-34-094.png

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So much of American animation feels so stale to me these days.
It all blends together.