• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Conservatives have no issues with overpaid corporate executives receiving millions of dollars in pay, in fact they cheer it on, but the moment "tax dollars" enters the equation everyone needs to be working for pennies.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
$100K is downright generous to use as a cap. Poor suckers in Saskatchewan:

As part of the government's commitment to accountability and transparency, the Saskatchewan Health Authority discloses
payments of $50,000 or greater made to individuals, affiliates and other organizations during the fiscal year.

You'd have a hard time finding any full-time government employees who don't make that.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
100k for one person is still a lot. Geeze what world do you all live in.
LOL it's always amazing when people act like 100K is a small amount of money. BUT THAT'S NOT ENOUGH TO BUY A HOUSE WITH STRAIGHT CASH AND OWN TWO CARS AND SEND 3 KIDS TO AN ELITE PRIVATE SCHOOL AND STILL GO ON YEARLY VACATIONS

Plenty of people that make $100K...$300K...$500K are also "front line workers in various public service positions". Alot of people are clueless on how much people actually make. It's why many politicians cling to their jobs, because they might never make $125K or so again. This was also covered in the "Abolish Billionaires" fallacy thread. By every standard, a person making $100K is upper class in any official governmental category. I make significantly less than that and sometimes feel bad about how much money I make.

Oct 27, 2017
damn I can see why Toronto/GTA might have a housing crisis.
6-figure salary seems attainable in various GTA regions..
Everyone working at OPG seems to be making 6 figures. What a heck of a place to work!

Ford government prepares to limit public sector wage increases
OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Well, would you look at that:
Ford government sets the stage for capping public sector raises
Unions representing a wide range of Ontario's public sector workers — from teachers to nurses to hospital janitors — fear that legislation to freeze or limit their wages is on the way.

The Ford government is meeting with the unions for what it describes as "consultation sessions" on reining in public sector pay. One of the proposals floated by the province: capping future wage increases through legislation.

Such a cap could be imposed on hundreds of thousands of workers in Ontario, including those employed by school boards, colleges, universities, government agencies and the province itself.
The consultations are a sham, said Smokey Thomas, president of the Ontario Public Service Employees' Union (OPSEU).

Thomas and other union officials say they believe the government is holding these sessions in an attempt to prevent the courts from throwing out such a legislated wage cap.

"In my mind they're just ticking off the boxes to fight off a Charter challenge if they interfere in collective bargaining in any way," Thomas said in an interview Wednesday.
The Ford government has a big incentive to clamp down on wages. Its budget projections over the next few years are largely predicated on health and education workers getting little to nothing in the way of pay increases.

Bargaining is poised to begin for the province's four teachers' unions and other unionized education workers. Their contracts all expire at the end of August.

It's far from clear that negotiated pay hikes with public sector unions are to blame for Ontario's deficit. As the government's own statistics reveal, the average wage settlements in the public sector have actually been lower than those in the private sector for five years running.
Fred Hahn, president of CUPE Ontario, says his members earn on average $40,000 a year and their pay increases have fallen short of inflation over the past decade.

"Their wages are not a king's or queen's ransom," said Hahn in an interview.

"These are the folks who keep our schools clean, the folks who are orderlies and [personal support workers] in hospitals and long-term care facilities, who work in child care centres," he added.

"We really have no clue about what the government is planning for us with respect to public-sector wage restraint because they have not been direct about it," said Michael Hurley, who leads the Ontario Coalition of Hospital Unions.

Last edited:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I have experience working with the government in the States as an IT consultant. If anything, I'd argue that government should pay people more in order to attract talent. I worked with far too many government employees who were flat-out incompetent at their jobs and practically useless. It was mind-boggling to witness my own tax dollars being wasted.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I have experience working with the government in the States as an IT consultant. If anything, I'd argue that government should pay people more in order to attract talent. I worked with far too many government employees who were flat-out incompetent at their jobs and practically useless. It was mind-boggling to witness my own tax dollars being wasted.
Absolutely. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. They need to incentivize people to give a shit. Hence why I can't blame anyone at the courthouse or DMV or post office when the service sucks. I'm sure I wouldn't give a fuck either if I was barely being paid.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
LOL it's always amazing when people act like 100K is a small amount of money. BUT THAT'S NOT ENOUGH TO BUY A HOUSE WITH STRAIGHT CASH AND OWN TWO CARS AND SEND 3 KIDS TO AN ELITE PRIVATE SCHOOL AND STILL GO ON YEARLY VACATIONS

Plenty of people that make $100K...$300K...$500K are also "front line workers in various public service positions". Alot of people are clueless on how much people actually make. It's why many politicians cling to their jobs, because they might never make $125K or so again. This was also covered in the "Abolish Billionaires" fallacy thread. By every standard, a person making $100K is upper class in any official governmental category. I make significantly less than that and sometimes feel bad about how much money I make.
Straight cash ? Multiple cars ? You're dreaming . I don't make 100k but I'm closing in on it and I share a house with my brother . My kid ain't going to any private school . Cheapest houses are 550k here and in Ontario I bet it's the same or more

Oct 25, 2017
The correct way would be to publish job titles and the distributions of pay for each title. If you want social statistics then add gender/race etc graphs too. Adding names just promotes harassment.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. They need to incentivize people to give a shit. Hence why I can't blame anyone at the courthouse or DMV or post office when the service sucks. I'm sure I wouldn't give a fuck either if I was barely being paid.
Never understood this phrase. Do monkeys ever eat peanuts?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Straight cash ? Multiple cars ? You're dreaming . I don't make 100k but I'm closing in on it and I share a house with my brother . My kid ain't going to any private school . Cheapest houses are 550k here and in Ontario I bet it's the same or more

Yeah you're lucky if you get a decent house anywhere near GTA for $550K.

"BUT WHY DO YOU LIVE CLOSE TO GTA????"

Because that's where the damn jobs are.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worked for the Texas State government agency for a period of time and everyone's salary was public information. I made less then 53,000 a year so I am not understanding what this list is supposed to do.

Obviously the football coach was the highest paid state employee.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Transparency is fine but the $ amount is arbitrary. The idea originally was to discourage waste and highlight high paid CEO's and managers of crown corps. It probably made more sense in 1996 and could use some updating. That said from an optics pov $100k is still a lot of money for Canadians. Median Household income is just over 71k in 2018 for Canada
Per capita income just over 40k (2015)

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
That's a low threshold. Numbers are published here too though. You can find any public worker's salary I believe.

I mean, a person who has like 20+ years of work history and that is only pulling $110k a year isn't really the same as some CEO making $1+ Million a year while the people below him makes pennies in comparison.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
From CBC's 2017 article : "The government says if the salary threshold was adjusted for inflation, it would be $151,929 in today's dollars, reducing the number of employees included on the listby 85 per cent."

Would be 158,361.71 in 2019 dollars.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Who said anything about single parents? And you admit to living in a house ("but oh no I have to share a 3 bedroom home with a family member! No room for a mancave or gaming room!") Keep reaching man. No one told you to stay living in one of the most expensive areas in North America. And LOL at the guy above me acting like Canada, one of the world's top first world countries, only has jobs around the golden horseshoe.

Do you know that minimum wage in Ontario is $14/hour? Do you realize that your need to necro this comment because you kid can't go to private school, totally proves my point about everyone that makes less than half a million acting poor?

Because you...*GASP*...have to save up for a few years before buying your own house?

Link’s Awakening

Alt account
Banned
Apr 28, 2019
I never understood the point of releasing this data.

My folks worked at a university hospital and they had to deal with the same shit.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I see three of my bosses on the list, noice.

And the only point of this is so people can make the same "bus drivers make how much????" comments every year.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Canadian conservatives suck so much, I hate what Harris's legacy has done to enable this awful shield. Using public sector workers to destroy government employee lives and claim it's actually reducing debt, what a load of shit.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Uhhh that's crazy. Most of the people where I work are making 79-180k base and are making anywhere from 15-40k in OT.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The CEO of a public utility better be making more than that or you're going to have a public utility that doesn't run very well.
They were earning 6M. Then Ford fired the entire board and the CEO, paid them all a severance of 10M each. The political interference caused the USA to cancel an acquisition, causing penalties of half a billion to be paid out. Also in the same signature we cancelled an almost complete Wind Farm to the total cost of a couple hundred million.

Last edited:

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Who said anything about single parents? And you admit to living in a house ("but oh no I have to share a 3 bedroom home with a family member! No room for a mancave or gaming room!") Keep reaching man. No one told you to stay living in one of the most expensive areas in North America. And LOL at the guy above me acting like Canada, one of the world's top first world countries, only has jobs around the golden horseshoe.

Do you know that minimum wage in Ontario is $14/hour? Do you realize that your need to necro this comment because you kid can't go to private school, totally proves my point about everyone that makes less than half a million acting poor?

Because you...*GASP*...have to save up for a few years before buying your own house?
Lol yeah ill just petition for all large hospitals to move out of major urban areas sure . Or I could change careers right ? I commute an hour to work because I can't afford to live where I work. My house is cheap compared to the 750k near work. But I'll just switch jobs tomorrow ok?
So I have no right to support my family in the area I work without relying on another income supporting my mortgage? Who is my brother. My parents lent me the down payment because I made 50k at the time
But yeah I'm entitled sure .....
Driving an hour to work 10 hour days and sharing a house mortgaged 35 years.... keep hating the middle class it's a great look /s
No one brought up private school but you with your lifestyles of the rich and famous narrative bs