• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Canada (and the US) really need an emergency (non-police) number. We don't need pigs showing up to these health emergencies.

Yup. Cut funds for police but also don't give them the job of treating mental health and homelessness issues. Need more funding to other departments to handle these problems. You don't need guns to deal with the mentally ill and homeless except for rare cases.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We need a proper mental health service, and not the "nice men in white jackets" type. People on staff 24/7 who can be dispatched for this.

I agree.

But I don't know what the odds of that happening are when psychotherapy isn't covered by OHIP and even good private insurance plans barely cover anything(like $500-$1000/year lol).

People with mental health issues are mostly left to their own devices until they're a problem for the police, who obviously aren't trained for this sort of thing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I will not defend this as this is tragic and this should never have happened.

But I will say, John Oliver had a great point yesterday. Cops have too many responsibilities. They are not and should not be responsible for dealing with problems such as mental health. They do not have the training required for this. We need to shift the budget away from policing and towards services that support the community and deal with issues like homelessness and mental health. When you're dealing with someone with a mental health issue, the person showing up to deal with the situation should not be equipped with a deadly weapon.

Cops absolutely should not be involved. They are not equipped to handle this, and anything that threatens their safety is likely to result in a tragedy. It does not excuse the cops behavior here, but we need a system where they are not involved whatsoever in this situation.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
This is fucking bullshit.

My mom is schizophrenic and how they dealt with her really solidified how much I dislike the police. Not to mention the hospital. Mental Health help fucking sucks in Ontario.

Fucking worthless, disgusting scum.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I agree.

But I don't know what the odds of that happening are when psychotherapy isn't covered by OHIP and even good private insurance plans barely cover anything(like $500-$1000/year lol).

People with mental health issues are mostly left to their own devices until they're a problem for the police, who obviously aren't trained for this sort of thing.
Even to qualify for mental health assistance covered by OHIP, you first need a reference from your doctor, and then getting an introductory appointment can take upwards of three months. A lot can degrade in that time period.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, Canada isn't better than the states, maybe in terms of volume sure, but any amount means we're not doing it right. Ontario defunded mental health, and refused to fund it again, we need to defund the police, both regional and the OPP and put money towards mental health and health in general.

It's Brampton, Ontario, Canada. You wouldn't say Texas, United States.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Aside from South Asia, no one outside of Canada knows what Brampton is. It's standard to omit internationally less relevant municipalities from headlines.
I have no idea where half of the cities mentioned in the states are other than that they're in a specific state, I assume this goes for the vast majority of people too. If you said "Brampton, Ontario, Canada" I'm sure they'd understand the city of Brampton in Ontario Canada.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
NEVER call the police for a mental issue. Call a fire department, call an ambulance, I don't give a fuck if they get pissed when they get there, at least they won't kill you.

Calling the police on a mentally ill person is literally a death sentence 3 out of 4 times.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
And to think, this whole mess could have been avoided if we just *checks notes* gave the police even more goddamn money

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely tragic. It's so sad to see how mental health is stigmatised all over the world. But this is a gross overreaction even when keeping that in mind. Killing a man who called you for help...