• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
1st thing in my mind : How come this game is fun to play but at the same time feel something huge lacking.

Open Beta killed my interest for this game , inner me asking for Motorstorm obviously and was pretty disappointed because of team base multiplayer masked as single-player.

Since it was "FREE" on PS Plus , i downloaded for my kids. Then got interested again while teaching the kids what was the goal to win the race.

Everything is feel good, driving , handling , speed and graphics. BUT team base gameplay is not clicking. At a time i felt the game play itself and i win without my contribution.
Since the game didn't do well and leads to studio Closure , i believe making a straight motorstorm clone with onrush modes as secondary might have pull arcade racing fan to the game.

What do Era thinks about this ? what was your major no no for ONRUSH ?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Forever waited on PC but it was never meant to be. I had good times with Motar Stawm though.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I completely forgot this game existed.

I remember trying the beta for a little bit, then immediately erasing the game from my memory.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Game didn't click for me either, which was sad given I am a huge Driveclub fan.

I think my primary issue was understanding the special ability and role of each vehicle. Something about the tutorial was needlessly obtuse.

The UI design and art direction didn't help either.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
incredible engine, great driving, great smashing, all attached to unsatisfying modes. part of me thinks the team was pressured to copy Overwatch in every way they could, just to sell loot boxes, and then loot box backlash made everyone backtrack on that as a sales move.

if it ever came to PC with mod support, we could've wound up with some awesome actual gameplay. alas.

OP
OP
Manixramz

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Game didn't click for me either, which was sad given I am a huge Driveclub fan.

I think my primary issue was understanding the special ability and role of each vehicle. Something about the tutorial was needlessly obtuse.

The UI design and art direction didn't help either.

exactly , it is abit mess , the 1st set of events that suppose to make player understand is failed to do so.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It blows my mind why they didn't add an actual racing mode later on. The tracks are solid enough, the gameplay is top-tier but the modes get boring after a bit.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was a team based single player racing game. I like to finish in first in racing games. To be the fastest. The game itself looked pretty good, but as soon as I found out that it was some strange team based racing game I just noped the fuck out and never came back.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I really liked it actually. It would have been nice if there was a race mode, because it's the best handling arcade racer of the generation, but I like the team based competition well enough. I keep it installed on my PS4, it's a great game to pick up and play on those inbetween games days where you don't feel like starting something new and daunting.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Neat concept, terrible execution. Deleted this game after a couple hours of trying to get into it. The whole team based stuff just didn't do it for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate Evolution trying to innovate the genre, even if it ended up being misguided. A true classical arcade circuit racing game from them would have been incredible, but we're not getting many of those these days. If there was one company that might have greenlit it, it might have been Codemasters but maybe they didn't want it taking a bite out of DiRT's lunch. I don't really get why they took on the Evo guys only to give them one shot and then shitcan the studio tho...

Have recently been replaying the Motorstorm games and Driveclub... the loss of Evolution studios is probably the saddest thing that's happened for me this gen.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty excited before release, but unfortunately ended up disappointed too. Turns out I definitely need the actual racing aspect too to enjoy a game that's solely about cars driving around a circuit. The few tracks I saw were pretty cool too, so just a regular racing mode with 16 cars could've been pretty amazing.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's the first racing game where I had to take the approach of playing fighting games - mashing random buttons and win.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Tried it, didn't like it. You are basically just driving in loops and some of the AI can be very unbalanced.

Game looks great, driving is fun too, but everything else is meh.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Great graphics, solid controls, I just didn't like the game modes.

I wish Sony had given Evolution another chance (and to make Motorstorm), and I wish wasn't so... different.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted it to be good, ever since Dirt gave up trying to be an arcade rally racer (even Dirt 4 isn't it).
But it's just not fun to play, the tracks are terribly uninspiring and it just doesn't feel good to drive.

I got Gravel yesterday and it's much closer to what DiRT 2 felt like, but obviously it's just a poor approximation.
Kudos for trying, at least, it's good enough to keep me playing for a while, at list.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
I've put over 100 hours into it since it came to Gamepass last year. Probably in my top 3 from 2018 but I can absolutely see why some were turned off to the gameplay. I also don't think it helped that the game launched at $60 (I think) so even if you were curious at launch it wasn't something lots of people felt comfortable impulse-buying (and I was part of the problem too).

I think if the game had launched into Gamepass, Gold or PSplus it would have gotten at least a slightly more positive reception because more people would take some time and figure out the game rather than throwing up their hands at the lack of a racing mode. I never had a problem personally with the fact that there was no racing, but I always loved objective gametypes in online games so it's right up my alley already.

As for actually playing the game, there's definitely a decent amount of skill involved in playing well. You could probably get by ok letting the game "play itself" especially if there's tons of pushover bots in a match but there is a strategy to taking people out efficiently, knowing when to boost, use your ult, and plenty of differences in strategy between modes. I wouldn't say it's some esports-ready, perfectly balanced masterpiece in that regard but I can say from experience that it's more than just driving and constant boosting.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked OnRush much better than Motorstorm but a couple of annoying design decisions on top of the super shallow player pool made me drop it earlier than I would've liked. Shame that it sold like shit, really

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
OnRush felt directionless to me, even the objectives don't feel like they matter and the team dynamics didn't seem like they mattered at all.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Coregameplay was fantastic, but 2 of the 4 modes weren't fun. The one where you have to take the zones was actually really bad and felt random all the time. I really liked the other two modes though, but yeah, it should have been more like Motorstorm.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Onrush is amazing, and was one of my favorite games of last year, when I played it.

The biggest problem it had, was confused marketing language, a gameplay system that was poorly communicated (and simply a confusing sell), and artistic direction that was a bit chaotic, and didn't quite hit the mark.

At the end of day though, I loved it. Such a richly unique, exhilarating, and incredbly fun game to play. It also had one of the most fair lootbox systems, with tons of cool unlockables. Onrush should be an esport.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They had the arcade racer genre wide open for the taking, and then bunked it with not putting in a traditional racing mode. Not even a patch after launch. Such a shame.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The struggle I had with it was the conundrum that I was supposed to boost to take out my rivals, but everyone is boosting all the time, meaning that I can't take out my rivals because we're all going the same speed.

I'm sure there was a trick to it but I didn't find it and got bored in like an hour. Technically great though.

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the concept of this game, but the gameplay didn't click with me. I thought taking out other vehicles was rather difficult to do, so I wasn't really sure if I was playing the game correctly.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it for half an hour or so, but it didn't stay fun. I want games that encourage me to hit other cars, so that was good. I kinda hated the slow mo instant replay stuff though, it threw me off almost every time.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
incredible engine, great driving, great smashing, all attached to unsatisfying modes. part of me thinks the team was pressured to copy Overwatch in every way they could, just to sell loot boxes, and then loot box backlash made everyone backtrack on that as a sales move.

if it ever came to PC with mod support, we could've wound up with some awesome actual gameplay. alas.

I tried the game and I think loot boxes were the least of its problems.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Honestly, as an Evolution fan who went from being intrigued by the teaser, put off by the pre-release material, and then brought back onboard with the beta and launch: it plays really well but the team angle needed some more time in the oven, and something about the UX just didn't click the same way MotorStorm and even Driveclub did. It felt a little more 'budget'.

Having said that, it looks phenomenal running on my PS4 Pro with HDR!

P.S. this documentary by Digital Foundry made me appreciate the game and team way more. Great watch:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when everyone was saying it was more MotorStorm, and I was like 'nah'. It was apparent from videos that the driving is incredibly simplistic compared to MotorStorm.

And that's what did it for me. I like the idea of the hybrid destruction Derby race thing. But the driving was boring.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Underrated gem. Got it Day1. The love that went into this game from the studio.... it deserved so much more. I always hoped it would catch the Rocket League wave. None of my friends touched it. I sent my (then) right hand man a few videos off YouTube from the devs themselves......his lack of acknowledgment put a strain on our friendship..lol

HDR and Audio are top notch!!! Still play it 2-3 times a week...def a 7.8 out of 10 in my book

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Honestly, as an Evolution fan who went from being intrigued by the teaser, put off by the pre-release material, and then brought back onboard with the beta and launch: it plays really well but the team angle needed some more time in the oven, and something about the UX just didn't click the same way MotorStorm and even Driveclub did. It felt a little more 'budget'.

Having said that, it looks phenomenal running on my PS4 Pro with HDR!

P.S. this documentary by Digital Foundry made me appreciate the game and team way more. Great watch:

This clip is especially, is what I sent my friends...yet none watched and cry that they don't have any games...like wth lol