• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I asked him if he was PR for GameFreak. Which by all intents and purposes was a joke to allude to the fact that he comes in here anytime someone complains with a high horse attitude acting like he knows what's going on. Dude is acting like the USSR government in Chernobyl.
"Oh it's not that bad". "Oh we haven't seen everything yet". Give me a break.
Pretty sure he's gotten that line from at least five other people. Get better material.

A forum is for discussing a topic, whether or not we agree. I'm not gonna put him on ignore, but I can dunk on him when he tries to defend himself without showing any concrete proof
A famous guy on the internet just killed himself like two days ago and you have the gall to mention his name while replying with hostility to another famous guy on the internet. Get some perspective, my guy.

Last edited:

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I asked him if he was PR for GameFreak. Which by all intents and purposes was a joke to allude to the fact that he comes in here anytime someone complains with a high horse attitude acting like he knows what's going on. Dude is acting like the USSR government in Chernobyl.
"Oh it's not that bad". "Oh we haven't seen everything yet". Give me a break.

I mean, calling him "the USSR government in Chernobyl" isn't what I'd call civil discourse.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is acting like the USSR government in Chernobyl.

Dude, that show was good, but not shit on Serebii good. What a weird thing to say.
Like I don't think comparing him to something that cost many human lives is in good taste no matter how you spin that one...Bringing up the recently deceased is completely off topic and in bad taste also :/

Last edited:

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leave Joe out of your grievances, you just come off as a jerk and this isn't his fault.

I'm not saying it's his fault but why is he trying to adamantly to defend the people who are actually at fault?

Dude, that show was good, but not shit on Serebii good. What a weird thing to say.

I'm just trying to make a pop culture metaphor. Serebii has been trying to downplay /spin this since the very beginning when this is pretty much the nuclear equivalent of that, at least to me. Yeah I probably shouldn't have used a real occurence but watching that show made their government seem almost cartoon villain in their portrayal.

Where is the compassion from his side? I bought LeafGreen and a Gameboy Player, X, and have been concurrently playing HeartGold and Platinum to finish up my National Dex for Sword and Shield. The deflation of hype is depressing and I'm sorry to Joe if that comes off more aggressive than it should. But it fucking sucks.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This thread is literally about how limited the Galar Pokedex is. That's not positive. That's negative. Go spread your 'positivity' in another Pokemon thread.

Serebii is basically the John Gruber/DaringFireball of Pokemon. It''s fucking baffling how anyone that tries to argue with him gets banned (Seriously the first ban I've gotten on ResetEra/NeoGaf since I joined in 2008) but he gets off scott free because he's curbing 'misinformation' and spreading 'positivity'?

We can't have a bitching thread about how shitty this decision is? We can't just be angry about this? Imagine if Serebii were a Trump supporter instead, going into political threads to look at 'the positives' of it.

This forum is a joke with its biases and trigger happy mods. They got pantsed during the Jussie Smollett thread. That mod got embarrassed and demodded in the Etika thread. But fuck, let's just keep banning people who might actually just be extremely passionate and firey about this decision right?

This decision sucks. I'm gonna keep bitching about it. How does that Pokemon Masters game have better trainer animations than SwordShield?
You can bitch about the decision. I've also been bitching about it.

Just don't bitch about it with misinformation.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Unless they're adding the option to completely overhaul the battle system for something closer to the main games its not really comparable. Spamming 2 moves in real time put me off ever playing the game. That was never the draw for GO anyway.

Yeah if the game didn't have such a strong social aspect involved in it I don't think it would have last this long. Unfortunately there's simply not enough depth for me to spend any time in it.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is literally about how limited the Galar Pokedex is. That's not positive. That's negative. Go spread your 'positivity' in another Pokemon thread.

Serebii is basically the John Gruber/DaringFireball of Pokemon. It''s fucking baffling how anyone that tries to argue with him gets banned (Seriously the first ban I've gotten on ResetEra/NeoGaf since I joined in 2008) but he gets off scott free because he's curbing 'misinformation' and spreading 'positivity'?

We can't have a bitching thread about how shitty this decision is? We can't just be angry about this? Imagine if Serebii were a Trump supporter instead, going into political threads to look at 'the positives' of it.

This forum is a joke with its biases and trigger happy mods. They got pantsed during the Jussie Smollett thread. That mod got embarrassed and demodded in the Etika thread. But fuck, let's just keep banning people who might actually just be extremely passionate and firey about this decision right?

This decision sucks. I'm gonna keep bitching about it. How does that Pokemon Masters game have better trainer animations than SwordShield?
Link to masters footage? Anyone?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because maybe their reasoning has merit?

I can disagree but understand and acknowledge. People are taking things to extremes and you can't just throw money at things to get new animations and get it done in time for launch. They can do that but it'd have to be post-launch content and I really hope it is.
Models and animations are one of the the few things that money + extra staff actually achieves. Creating those are tasks that interns could do.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Are people unironically equating the battle mechanics for the two games? I don't even know who is just having a laugh any more
like, you're comparing something that facilitates a competitive e-sport with a pretty basic orienteering app
Pokémon fans when Let's Go was announced: "Don't bring any of that Pokémon Go crap to the main games!"

Also Pokémon fans: "Lmao they're exactly the same"

Models and animations are one of the the few things that money + extra staff actually achieves. Creating those are tasks that interns could do.
I don't think Game Freak or The Pokémon Company are too interested in letting interns handle the presentation of the thing that is the very core of the franchise: Pokémon.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Game Freak or The Pokémon Company are too interested in letting interns handle the presentation of the thing that is the very core of the franchise: Pokémon.
The point is that creating the Pokemon animations is not a highly advanced task, and there is a hugely competitive talent pool seeking work.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any experience in the area to make such claims? Specifically regarding Pokémon animations, too.
No experience is needed to see that Pokemon are simple creatures. When you consider there are lines out the door of animators wanting to work at AAA studios like Naughty Dog, making Blastoise shoot his water cannon is not a tall task.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon fans when Let's Go was announced: "Don't bring any of that Pokémon Go crap to the main games!"

Also Pokémon fans: "Lmao they're exactly the same"

There's certainly some crazy shit going on
"Joe did Chernobyl" and "Masters has better trainer animations" ....a game that's specifically banking on selling trainers
DvaB5sf.jpg

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Are people unironically equating the battle mechanics for the two games? I don't even know who is just having a laugh any more
like, you're comparing something that facilitates a competitive e-sport with a pretty basic orienteering app
I can't compare the battle system with Pokemon Go because I never played that.
But the battles in the core series were shallow ever since. Some additional features like held items and abilities were added but the core remained the same for over 20 years. And while there's a competitive scene most battles in the main story are won by using a Pokemon that's strong against the opponent's one and using the strongest attack over and over again.
I was hoping for some real added depth but instead we get the Dynamax gimmick.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A. No experience is needed to see that Pokemon are simple creatures. When you consider there are lines out the door of animators wanting to work at AAA studios like Naughty Dog, making Blastoise shoot his water cannon is not a tall task.
B. Yes
Jesus christ you can't be serious
But the battles in the core series were shallow ever since.
They're most certainly not shallow. I don't even know where to begin with that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I can't compare the battle system with Pokemon Go because I never played that.
But the battles in the core series were shallow ever since. Some additional features like held items and abilities were added but the core remained the same for over 20 years. And while there's a competitive scene most battles in the main story are won by using a Pokemon that's strong against the opponent's one and using the strongest attack over and over again.
I was hoping for some real added depth but instead we get the Dynamax gimmick.

The depth is there, the single player just needs to make more use of it. Its not comparable to GO which simply does not have depth.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Inconsistent quality pretty much describes what we've seen so far. That dynamax battle streamed from the E3 showfloor looked terrible. The SuMo models rendered at 1080p on Citra look about as good as other stuff we've seen.

quality models look good in 1080p.... who would have figured....
not sure why emulation is even referenced for comparison, particularly Citra which barely works with the Pokemon games. Said models look great in a model viewer like Blender either way so I really don't know where you're going with that.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest entertainment brand in the world couldn't afford to put all the creatures in the next installment. Please keep making excuses and PR for them, they need it.

You are being toxic here

Bottom line is that people in charge have to care about delegating resources to satisfy a hardcore player base that has become smaller than the reach of the franchise efforts as a whole

Game Freak doesn't have a say and honestly they may choose to lower their workload regardless from a creative standpoint to focus on other things

It sucks but what solution do you propose that is viable outside of trying to twist the arms of the higher ups? That seems to be the strategy at the grassroots level so you really just have to hope the pressure is enough to force them to reconsider

Calling other posters PR mouthpieces however... isnt going to change shit

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people are still adamantly defending such a weak decision. Pokemon as a franchise makes more than enough money to hire additional people to work on it. Most companies have staffed up for the HD era. That Game Freak is falling behind the pace is on them, and hopefully they lose sales due to their poor decisions.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
No experience is needed to see that Pokemon are simple creatures. When you consider there are lines out the door of animators wanting to work at AAA studios like Naughty Dog, making Blastoise shoot his water cannon is not a tall task.
Then you're literally making shit up. Experience is absolutely needed to say whether something is a tall task or not, specially when you're talking about animation, of all things. It's complex work.

I can't believe people are still adamantly defending such a weak decision. Pokemon as a franchise makes more than enough money to hire additional people to work on it. Most companies have staffed up for the HD era. That Game Freak is falling behind the pace is on them, and hopefully they lose sales due to their poor decisions.
Your first mistake is thinking people here are defending the decision. I can't see a single person in this thread who is in favor of a limited dex.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Ben Moore makes some good points in the Pokémon discussion.

Time stamp: 01:39:20 - HOTTAKE: How do we feel about not all Pokemon being available in Sword and Shield

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Actually saw the footage for Masters, the trainer animation don't seem that much better to me.
Na. Masters is using the same Pokémon models and animations, and Trainers don't seem too much different in animations to how you see them in Sword & Shield, except maybe with Sync Moves.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
You are being toxic here

Bottom line is that people in charge have to care about delegating resources to satisfy a hardcore player base that has become smaller than the reach of the franchise efforts as a whole

Game Freak doesn't have a say and honestly they may choose to lower their workload regardless from a creative standpoint to focus on other things

It sucks but what solution do you propose that is viable outside of trying to twist the arms of the higher ups? That seems to be the strategy at the grassroots level so you really just have to hope the pressure is enough to force them to reconsider

Yes, bottom line people in charge have to care and what many of us are obviously arguing is that Masuda and Co. care disproportionately little for how massive both their audience and profits are.

In what world they may have to choose to lower their workload I wouldn't know. If they wanted to, they could've drastically expanded over a decade ago already. They have the means, clearly. Just like they had the time to anticipate any potential struggles arising in their ludicrously iterative Pokemon games.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You are being toxic here

Calling other posters PR mouthpieces however... isnt going to change shit

People doing PR for Gamefreak and TPC it's exactly why we won't have this "fixed" at all.

Gee, the solution is obvious. Plan the games accordingly. If it's not working in time, hire more people to help / throw more money and resources at it. If there's an IP that could afford making really extraordinary games with how much revenue they get, is Pokemon.

People attacked the ones criticizing Let's go, and told them "wait for the mainline games". The time is here and the mainline games won't even support all the pokemon. So what's the argument now? Go and Let's go poisoned the games in the end, and GF saw the chance to dumb down the mainline titles considering this new fanbase.

At the end of the day, this reads like greed. Every past mainline entry was built on the concept of collecting them all, trading, battling with your favourites. Now the games won't even have that, so what's the point? And don't get me started on cutting megas and z moves for dynamax.

I'm not paying 60 for this. It's an awful precedent going forward.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

They do have a ton of money... as a franchise and how that money is reinvested and allocated... may not be to a fans liking

No shit we deal with this on every franchise ever man. No one needs to adamantly defend something thats out of our control

Game Freak is definitely behind the curve and appear to be stuck there without some serious changes

Though i would caution people on getting their hopes up about dragging the 1000+ pokemon support anchor forever unless there is a serious shift in priorities at the highest levels

Pokemon Bank as a product makes this entire thing ironic as hell

People doing PR for Gamefreak and TPC it's exactly why we won't have this "fixed" at all.

Gee, the solution is obvious. Plan the games accordingly. If it's not working in time, hire more people to help / throw more money and resources at it. If there's an IP that could afford making really extraordinary games with how much revenue they get, is Pokemon.

People attacked the ones criticizing Let's go, and told them "wait for the mainline games". The time is here and the mainline games won't even support all the pokemon. So what's the argument now? Go and Let's go poisoned the games in the end, and GF saw the chance to dumb down the mainline titles considering this new fanbase.

At the end of the day, this reads like greed. Every past mainline entry was built on the concept of collecting them all, trading, battling with your favourites. Now the games won't even have that, so what's the point? And don't get me started on cutting megas and z moves for dynamax.

I'm not paying 60 for this. It's an awful precedent going forward.

First I would recommend this video. I don't agree with all of the points but he articulates the issue pretty well

- The solution isn't obvious. They don't just get to hire more people. Again there is a structure, priorities, business angles etc. Someone at the top has to give a shit about the customer outrage here. It's not like there isn't hope but its hard for me to gauge the REAL impact you guys are having in the grand scheme of things here

- Let's go has nothing to do with this.

- Greed is a big part of it. Priorities and resources are going to go where the company feels will be the best place for said money. Pokemon Fans are not the first or last to get up in arms about a shift in company priorities

- Don't buy it! I encourage it

Last edited:

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Na. Masters is using the same Pokémon models and animations, and Trainers don't seem too much different in animations to how you see them in Sword & Shield, except maybe with Sync Moves.

If someone breaks this footage down and finds the animations are slightly different will you own up to spreading "misinformation" as you've accused others saying "sword and shield uses the same animations as SuMo" of doing?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If someone breaks this footage down and finds the animations are slightly different will you own up to spreading "misinformation" as you've accused others saying "sword and shield uses the same animations as SuMo" of doing?

Yes as he had to do with things in the past already. Nice attempt at a gotcha though.

It's ridiculous the shit Joe gets over all of this. I'm sure it's just jealousy really.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Yes as he had to do with things in the past already. Nice attempt at a gotcha though.

It's ridiculous the shit Joe gets over all of this. I'm sure it's just jealousy really.

I'm just asking, while pointing out it feels really similar to people jumping to conclusions that SwSh was only using the same animations. If we're going to bash people for jumping too quickly to conclusions, then we should be consistent about it ourselves.

But thank you for the random, unwarranted personal attack in a discussion about videogames.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, bottom line people in charge have to care and what many of us are obviously arguing is that Masuda and Co. care disproportionately little for how massive both their audience and profits are.

In what world they may have to choose to lower their workload I wouldn't know. If they wanted to, they could've drastically expanded over a decade ago already. They have the means, clearly. Just like they had the time to anticipate any potential struggles arising in their ludicrously iterative Pokemon games.

What they need is competition.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
But what can possibly compete with Pokémon?

I've thought about this a lot. At the end of the day, I want better Pokémon, not alternatives to it.

I think this is a good point, how do you compete with the connection so many feel to the characters? I'm not sure what it would take to get me to actually leave pokemon behind for an alternative in the same genre, if anything an alternative would just supplement

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I can guarantee you that many of the most adamant defenders of the Dexit outrage (it's too critical! Please think of GFs feelings) have in the past made dozens upon dozens of defensive posts concerning the laggy state of the 3D titles by praising the supposedly smart long-term decision to create high model quality.

Do these folks then criticize how badly that turned out now? Yeh right... Now they're championing how unreasonable it is to expect more of the multi-billion juggernaut who totally couldn't have anticipated their issues in time and who totally need to release titles yearly, too, because the anime and the trading cards and who cares about quality games anyway?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think this is a good point, how do you compete with the connection so many feel to the characters? I'm not sure what it would take to get me to actually leave pokemon behind for an alternative in the same genre, if anything an alternative would just supplement

That's my thing. I have a lifelong experience with these creatures and characters. I don't just play it for the fun it. It's kind of sentimental to me, you know?

So when games like Yokai Watch do well and (maybe?) motivate some changes in the Pokémon series, that's good. But I'd never want anything to replace Pokémon.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
But what can possibly compete with Pokémon?

I've thought about this a lot. At the end of the day, I want better Pokémon, not alternatives to it.
I don't think any one IP can. Pokémon would have to bleed fans to other IPs like Yokai Watch, TemTem or whatever little by little, until it makes a dent big enough for them to notice. Can't say I see that happening any time soon either.

I can guarantee you that many of the most adamant defenders of the Dexit outrage (it's too critical! Please think of GFs feelings) have in the past made dozens upon dozens of defensive posts concerning the laggy state of the 3D titles by praising the supposedly smart long-term decision to create high model quality.

Do these folks then criticize how badly that turned out now? Yeh right... Now they're championing how unreasonable it is to expect more of the multi-billion juggernaut who totally couldn't have anticipated their issues in time and who totally need to release titles yearly, too, because the anime and the trading cards and who cares about quality games anyway?
v9jxsml42we21.jpg

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
That's my thing. I have a lifelong experience with these creatures and characters. I don't just play it for the fun it. It's kind of sentimental to me, you know?

So when games like Yokai Watch do well and (maybe?) motivate some changes in the Pokémon series, that's good. But I'd never want anything to replace Pokémon.

I guess the only fear for Gamefreak would be if they decided something like Yokai was intercepting enough young fans to damage their property's long term future (since young fans might not feel the nostalgia draw many of us do), but honesty any potential pretenders to the throne are already so far behind in history, resources, brand awareness.... I'm not sure Yokai will ever impact their bottom line much

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I feel like a big problem is really there isn't an alternative to Pokemon out there. Sure we have games like Yokai Watch and others, but they don't have nearly the exact same pull as Pokemon does.

And Game Freak knows that. Heck we have a Pokemon Company. That's how big Pokemon is. I just wish it was treated like it's an essential crucial franchise sometimes. Cause to me it's starting to enter that state where I'm not even sure what direction it's going anymore.

Basically we need better competition from other newer companies. And even then it's a colossal order considering how popular Pokemon is.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
How do things get better without competition though? The competition needs to step up as much as Game Freak and the Pokemon Company need to.

I guess I always hoped that creativity and ambition would drive the growth of the series, which it certainly always has, but not always in the ways I want. I think competition would be good, but at the same time, I know I'm unlikely to even dabble in any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.