• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if they started development of those models at the tail end of Gen 4, by then the 3DS was in the later stages of development and Game Freak and Creatures likely would have access to devkits or at least information on it. Plenty of time to make models and animations for 600+ Pokemon if they started at 2009 or 2010, but man that would still require a lot of man power at the time.

On another subject, I do wonder if Detective Pikachu (the game) might have effected the animation process of Sword and Shield. Creatures is typically who Game Freak gets to do the models and animation for the Pokemon, so if their animators had their hands full with that project, it might explain something. The animation in that game was pretty good.
I do seem to recall there were rumors floating around that Game Freak got super early access to 3DS devkits. That might be related.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
On another subject, I do wonder if Detective Pikachu (the game) might have effected the animation process of Sword and Shield. Creatures is typically who Game Freak gets to do the models and animation for the Pokemon, so if their animators had their hands full with that project, it might explain something. The animation in that game was pretty good.
This is something I was just thinking about too, we've been so focused on Game Freak being understaffed for what they do that we haven't brought up Creatures protentially being understaffed as well. Creatures works on the main series and side games and are even smaller than Game Freak. Both companies really need to expand.
Part of me is curious what a main series Pokemon game would be like if it was developed by a massively expanded Creatures instead of Game Freak with assistance from Creatures.

EDIT: Bulbapedia and Wikipedia don't even list Creatures as having worked on any of the Gen 7 games, did they just stop helping Game Freak?

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I've been thinking this for a while, the sooner Masuda leaves GameFreak, the better quality Pokemon games we will get, he always has some involvement in the direction of the games even if he's not directing them.

That quote is almost as bad as this one:

www.gamespot.com

Pokemon Director Explains Why Series is Becoming Easier

"Rather than any actual feedback from players, it's more accepting the realities of modern life," Junichi Masuda says.
So, basically, Masuda is like, "I'm not gonna give you what you asked for. I'm gonna give you what I think you want."

And the fans are like, "Uh, no. That's wrong. I'm not paying for this."

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll just continue to dream about a new game by Morimoto and Unno. I've liked Masuda's games but since XY, I don't like where the series has headed. I think it's shitty to introduce a mechanic like Megas and then two gens later not know what to do with it, so it's just thrown out. Too many mega stones to account for and other such things. Dynamax looks alright but it looks to me like the same XY model with maybe some better rextures, blown up.

The comments from Masuda are ridiculous, too.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
64609969_10158513898217802_8375406004971503616_n.jpg
I have a feeling none of the starters from other regions will be in the Galar Dex. The champion is just special. He's gonna have a Charizard and you won't.

He'll probably give you a Charmander egg after you beat him or something.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I'll just continue to dream about a new game by Morimoto and Unno. I've liked Masuda's games but since XY, I don't like where the series has headed. I think it's shitty to introduce a mechanic like Megas and then two gens later not know what to do with it, so it's just thrown out. Too many mega stones to account for and other such things. Dynamax looks alright but it looks to me like the same XY model with maybe some better rextures, blown up.

The comments from Masuda are ridiculous, too.

Game Freak could have made their lives easier:

1. Just one Mega Stone for all pokemon.

2. Just one Z-Crystal for alls types and no signature Z-Crystals.

3. Consolidate evolution methods instead of having 16 different stones/magnetic fields etc.

4. Eliminate unnecessary alternate forms like the 2 million Spindas, the different colored butterfly thing, the male/female difference in Hippowdon etc.

There's a lot of stuff they could have condensed before eliminating half the roster...

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

3. Consolidate evolution methods instead of having 16 different stones/magnetic fields etc.

4. Eliminate unnecessary alternate forms like the 2 million Spindas, the different colored butterfly thing, the male/female difference in Hippowdon etc.

There's a lot of stuff they could have condensed before eliminating half the roster...

Do a "Form Changer" item that changes forms of Pokemon that need items to change

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
presumably Masuda doesn't want to mobbed by hashtags and accusatory Pokemon fans

can't really blame him on that one, though who knows when the backlash will die down enough for him to emerge
Cannot see the backlash dying anytime soon. For at least a good size of the hardcore fanbase, this news will overshadow any new information they share about the game. I know it will for me

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'll forever be salty about the loss of megas. My Mawile, my Blaziken, I actually used Venusaur, RIP. Dynamix is garbage, only big pokemon I ever gave a shit about was that shadowy kaiju Dragonite in the anime.

Shit Mawile and Blaziken might not even be in, Venusaur is safe thanks to gen 1 favoritism.

So far this is looking like another gen I'll skip

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
145 pages, wow.

For something I, as a casual player who just plays through the game and that's it, really do not care about at all that's surprising. I do get the reasoning behind people being mad, I just can't recreate feeling like that for myself. To me, always playing with the same Pokémon is boring.

Alas, as long as criticism is constructive, I am fine with it. There just are too many people out there being way too rude about this. In the end, since it doesn't sound they will listen, there is only one out of two things, you can do:

1) Buy the game and see how you like the new competitive play. If that really was part of the reason they did not include all Pokémon that better be good.
2) Don't buy the game. Your wallet speaks the most clear language.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah, some of their decisions don't make sense. Each game profile would only have one mega stone, and only Pokemon that are able to hold it, can. Solves that issue. Same as you said with Z-Crystals. Then take the time to eliminate one-use items for evolution purposes, and location based evolutions like miss rock and the magnetic area. Forme change location can be done in one room or through a single item that some crazy scientist in the game has made.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope the game still has regional variants like Alola, and that the feature can continue into future games and gens without getting axed.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
145 pages, wow.

For something I, as a casual player who just plays through the game and that's it, really do not care about at all that's surprising. I do get the reasoning behind people being mad, I just can't recreate feeling like that for myself. To me, always playing with the same Pokémon is boring.

Alas, as long as criticism is constructive, I am fine with it. There just are too many people out there being way too rude about this. In the end, since it doesn't sound they will listen, there is only one out of two things, you can do:

1) Buy the game and see how you like the new competitive play. If that really was part of the reason they did not include all Pokémon that better be good.
2) Don't buy the game. Your wallet speaks the most clear language.

Buying this on day 1 given the current information is honestly out of the question. I mean as far as we know this could end up supporting less pokemon than Ruby and Sapphire. Unless it has really glowing impressions or some seriously impressive experiences then it doesn't make sense to buy a whole console for it like I was planning.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't play Pokemon, but I was thinking about this: Wouldn't it have made way more sense for them to swap SS and Let's go around in terms of design? Why not have the big expiremental open world game be the one that has a perfect justification for limiting the number of Pokemon and have the hardcore entry be less ambitious but feature complete? Everything is ass backwards.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Gen I was Tajiri
GS was Tajiri
Crystal was Masuda
RS was Masuda
FRLG was Masuda
Emerald was Morimoto
DP was Masuda
Platinum was Kawachimaru
HGSS was Morimoto
BW was Masuda
B2W2 was Unno
XY was Masuda
ORAS was Ohmori
SM was Ohmori
USUM was Iwao
LGPE was Masuda
SwSh is Ohmori
the people responsible for some of the best games only worked on 1-2 games except Ohmori. damn, man

my favourite of the lot are Emerald, Platinum, BW2, ORAS.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play Pokemon, but I was thinking about this: Wouldn't it have made way more sense for them to swap SS and Let's go around in terms of design? Why not have the big expiremental open world game be the one that has a perfect justification for limiting the number of Pokemon and have the hardcore entry be less ambitious but feature complete? Everything is ass backwards.

I believe Lets Go was using a different engine and made largely by a different team. Those games seemed designed to capitalize on how massive Pokemon GO is more than anything.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Buying this on day 1 given the current information is honestly out of the question. I mean as far as we know this could end up supporting less pokemon than Ruby and Sapphire. Unless it has really glowing impressions or some seriously impressive experiences then it doesn't make sense to buy a whole console for it like I was planning.
I agree with this. 100% not going to be a day 1 buy now. I didn't buy Let's Go because it looked shallow to me (I own a copy of every mainline Pokémon game including importing Green from Japan) and will not buy this game because it is either rushed or lazy, or maybe even both. This was supposed to be their game for the hardcore fan (they've been saying this for two years now) and I have to imagine most of the people swearing off this game after this news are among the most hardcore fans. It's baffling to see how tone deaf Gamefreak are and how little they understand the most dedicated part of their audience

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

That's fair. Especially if you don't own a Switch yet and there are no other games on the system that you want to play. I wouldn't buy a console only for these games either, truth be told. But I already own a Switch, so that problem doesn't occur for me.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Wow no wonder HG/SS is my favorite Pokémon game after Pokémon Silver they did so much and introduced so many great features

Masuda saying don't get to excited we'll ill just say don't be excepting my money. The man needs to go

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more obvious it becomes that other Pokemon will eventually be patched in

DPPt remakes will come out and be compatible with Gen 8 for battling and trading. Mark my words

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it the more obvious it becomes that other Pokemon will eventually be patched in

DPPt remakes will come out and be compatible with Gen 8 for battling and trading. Mark my words
The same way new Megas, Ultra Beasts, etc. were patched into XY and SM? :P

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
This was my prediction, before we even knew what let's go was.

I even predicted it being 151 only.

I just completely flubbed on the spinoff being a casual focused game instead of the a core focused one.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen I was Tajiri
GS was Tajiri
Crystal was Masuda
RS was Masuda
FRLG was Masuda
Emerald was Morimoto
DP was Masuda
Platinum was Kawachimaru
HGSS was Morimoto
BW was Masuda
B2W2 was Unno
XY was Masuda
ORAS was Ohmori
SM was Ohmori
USUM was Iwao
LGPE was Masuda
SwSh is Ohmori

Masuda co-directed Gold and Silver.

That's what I am thinking as well and hoping that's what they will do.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
In X & Y I bred a perfect Slowbro and Golurk because I'd never used them before. It's always someone's first time using a Pokemon.

Nov 14, 2017

Incompatibility hasn't stopped Gamefreak before. They've introduced new forms (and new Pokemon in USM) mid-gen and not patched the the previous games.

Why patch the old games when you can make the new games more appealing to the consumer by marketing it as the way to get your favorites back?

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Incompatibility hasn't stopped Gamefreak before. They've introduced new forms (and new Pokemon in USM) mid-gen and not patched the the previous games.

Why patch the old games when you can make the new games more appealing to the consumer by marketing it as the way to get your favorites back?
That's totally different than patching in older Pokemon. They've never been in this situation before and I'm just asking myself from a business standpoint how they plan to do this for the rest of time. Eventually they will have all the older Pokemon made again. The question is whether or not they bother to patch them back in to older titles and I would imagine they'd decide to, unless they're going straight to gen 9 after swsh. I just don't see DPPt remakes as a part of gen 8 without more Pokemon being added and the games being made compatible, idk.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's totally different than patching in older Pokemon. They've never been in this situation before and I'm just asking myself from a business standpoint how they plan to do this for the rest of time. Eventually they will have all the older Pokemon made again. The question is whether or not they bother to patch them back in to older titles and I would imagine they'd decide to, unless they're going straight to gen 9 after swsh
I mean, what is a generation anymore now that compatibility is thrown out the window? Since there's no base set of Pokemon that need to be in, we could jump straight into a new region with an entirely different set of creatures two years after it launches.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

To be fair to them, 3DS patches weren't exactly intuitive

Status
Not open for further replies.