• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
My biggest beef with the Jedi Council was that they were politicians themselves sitting in a hotel conference room

Before the prequels, I thought they were bad ass. But during the prequels, they sounded exactly like my condominium association board

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My biggest beef with the Jedi Council was that they were politicians themselves sitting in a hotel conference room

Before the prequels, I thought they were bad ass. But during the prequels, they sounded exactly like my condominium association board
I always imagined them living in seclusion as a secretive special task force, because no one in the OT had ever heard about them or the force.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Did a bunch of people on this forum watch the prequels for the first time this week or something?

I'm also confused at the proliferation of prequel bashing threads in Era as of late. They're 20 year old movies and not the absolute worst movies ever as some Era posters would have you believe. I just find it insufferable how prequel haters will just nitpick mistakes or details they don't like that a lot of other films make as well and use it as absolute proof that these films are a crime against humanity or something.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After doing basically the same move on Maul in Episode 1 lol
All explained in the new EU:
G3owxbZ.jpg

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Whether you hate sand or not, please, for the love of all you hold dear, do not try and woo anyone by saying you love them because they aren't like something you hate.

It's really really really poorly thought out.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
ANAKIN: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.
OBI-WAN: Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

The keyword is DEALS.

Yoda's quote has nothing to do with this subject.

This is good point however, the internet thinks it makes no sense and memes exist to support the claim of it making no sense, so your valid logical point must be wrong.

Obi wan is speaking in terms of a negotiation. I see nothing wrong with the quote.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm also confused at the proliferation of prequel bashing threads in Era as of late. They're 20 year old movies and not the absolute worst movies ever as some Era posters would have you believe. I just find it insufferable how prequel haters will just nitpick mistakes or details they don't like that a lot of other films make as well and use it as absolute proof that these films are a crime against humanity or something.
New Star Wars films are being made, so of course people are going to be talking about the old ones. The key thing here is these 20 year old films don't hold up nearly as well as the 40 year old ones. (In fact, they were mildly to grossly disappointing when they were new.)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if it changes to extremism instead of absolutes is wrong, the jedis and the rebels are considered extremists by the status quo that is the empire are they sith? it doesnt make sense eitherway.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Whether you hate sand or not, please, for the love of all you hold dear, do not try and woo anyone by saying you love them because they aren't like something you hate.

It's really really really poorly thought out.
Ani got Natalie Portman with that line, it's a proven panty dropper and I won't hear any arguments otherwise.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It's some Iraq War II shit.

Yup. During the Iraq War, the patriotism of those who opposed the war was questioned by Republicans who were pushing an "either you're with us or against us" attitude. They claimed the left's criticism of the war was criticism of the military. The left argued that you could be opposed to the war, but still support the military, and that it was actually unpatriotic to sacrifice soldiers to a needless and unjust war. The right had no tolerance for any such nuance. They continued to push the narrative that if you hated the war, you hated the military, and most Americans ate it up with a spoon. It was a major social/political talking point. At the time the film came out, that line felt like a very direct rebuke of that right-wing absolutist attitude.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
During the Iraq War, the patriotism of those who opposed the war was questioned by Republicans who were pushing an "either you're with us or against us" attitude. At the time the film came out, that line felt like a very direct rebuke of that attitude.

Man. Can you imagine if he was making the prequels today?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is some TV station playing these films 24/7 on loop lately? Why are there so many prequel threads

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Blame D+ for all the prequel threads.

The collapse of a complacent republic into a fascist empire while caught up in a un-winnable war as portrayed in the most ubiquitous piece of American pop-media released before, during, and after 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq should have hit harder in its execution. Such a missed opportunity.

And then Rogue One has the "good guys" as terrorists on a planet that sure looks like the Middle East and is having its natural resources drained by an Empire.

Did that line even make sense then?

It only makes sense with the additional context of TCW where it's shown that the Separatists do have a point.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And then Rogue One has the "good guys" as terrorists on a planet that sure looks like the Middle East and is having its natural resources drained by an Empire.

My biggest problem with Rogue One is that it's hard to get to care about the characters when you know they have to die in the end.

But that's just me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It actually does make sense. "Only a Sith thinks in such extreme measures" is what it means and the meaning is clearly conveyed. But the way it's worded can be easily deconstructed.

Obi-wan would make a poor politician.
Yea, he was basically saying that only a Sith would think in these terms of kill or be killed. There is no room for dialogue or a peaceful end.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking that dialogues and plot in Episode III were actually thought. George made up the story in 3-4 hours with the goal to sell more merchandise than ever.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Era/Gaf has always been one of the biggest prequel hating places on the internet.

It's not surprising. I myself mostly hate TPM and AOTC, but love ROTS. Go figure.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The jedi being shitty hypocritical and often wrong about how to handle things is kinda point

The sith are you just giving into your desires with out really giving a shit about others

And the jedi are just a bunch of people making arbitrary contradictory rules as to why you shouldn't do that, isolating themselves from understanding in doing so.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-wan would make a poor politician.

And yet he is called "the negotiator." Once. By Grievous. For no reason we can determine. Because the entire war, the centerpiece of the events of the prequels, takes place between movies. So if he does indeed have a reputation as a negotiator, we never see it. Much like Anakin being a good friend to him.

There are people who try to say the prequel trilogy is good. Those people crack me up.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Gee, it's almost like one of the points of the movie/PT is to show the Jedi Order is deluded.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
And yet he is called "the negotiator." Once. By Grievous. For no reason we can determine. Because the entire war, the centerpiece of the events of the prequels, takes place between movies.

There are people who try to say the prequel trilogy is good. Those people crack me up.
I'm watching The Clone Wars now and this is demonstrated really well in that series.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching The Clone Wars now and this is demonstrated really well in that series.

I'm aware, but nobody should have to watch a 6 season TV series made years later to make basic dialogue and character behavior in the movies make sense. It's nice that Clone Wars was made to fill in the gaps but it doesn't change the fact that Episode 2 and Episode 3 are terribly written films.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Blame D+ for all the prequel threads.

It only makes sense with the additional context of TCW where it's shown that the Separatists do have a point.

when people say Clone Wars. We're talking the CGI show, right? Not the Samurai Jack animation style right?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
ROTS is a good movie and one of the most entertaining SW movies.

It's easily the best of the prequels too.
The best of the prequels isn't saying much...
The movie is bad but has a few cool scenes. Most of the dialogue is laughable (only because I am so in love with you), and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nov 10, 2019
I'm aware, but nobody should have to watch a 6 season TV series made years later to make basic dialogue and character behavior in the movies make sense. It's nice that Clone Wars was made to fill in the gaps but it doesn't change the fact that Episode 2 and Episode 3 are terribly written films.
Agreed especially when 95% of audiences are never going to see a kids cartoon in order to better understand the prequels.

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
OP should check some of the stuff George W Bush said circa 2005.
A lot of the things Lucas tried to do in ROTs make more sense that way.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best of the prequels isn't saying much...
The movie is bad but has a few cool scenes. Most of the dialogue is laughable (only because I am so in love with you), and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Palpatine lines override any of the other shitty dialogue.

Thankfully, the romance between Anakin and Padme is kept to a minimum in ROTS.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The Palpatine lines override any of the other shitty dialogue.

Thankfully, the romance between Anakin and Padme is kept to a minimum in ROTS.
Palpatine is single handedly the best thing in the movie. I hate hate hate the yoda fight scenes in both rots and aotc, but palpatine makes this one enjoyable to an extent.